The next Championship of Champions - now back on topic

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Re: The next Championship of Champions - now back on topic

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

James Robinson wrote:
Johnny Canuck wrote:Have any of the fixtures been decided yet?
Based on what I've been reading, it looks like it has been put on hold, as a few specials are being recorded in December instead........ ;) :) :D
Definitely #BattleOfTheWorsleys is on the cards here?
The forum's resident JAILBAKER, who has SPONDERED several times...
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Regardless, they'll get a special.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

I don't mean regardless. I mean, whatever happens you will see them play each other.
samir pilica
Acolyte

Post by samir pilica »

My 16 ( PRESUMING IT'S FILMED IN MAY/JUNE 2015) :

DAN MCCOLM
ANTOINETTE RYAN
GEORGE FORD
JEN STEADMAN
MARK MURRAY
ANDY NAYLOR
CALLUM TODD
DYLAN TAYLOR
ANDY PLATT
GILES HUTCHINGS
HEATHER STYLES
PAUL JAMES
GLENN WEBB
TRACEY MILLS
ANDREW KEITH
GERRY TYNAN
Fred Mumford
Enthusiast

Post by Fred Mumford »

If it's going to cover Series 67 to 72 as well as (rightfully) letting Oliver Garner and Eoin Monaghan play too, then there's a case for having more than 16 players. Maybe 24 with some byes.
Tracey Anne Mills
Devotee
Location: The Series 72 Runner Up, The Crazy Cat Lady that lives with her two cats Freddie and Callie

Post by Tracey Anne Mills »

Cheers Samir :)
Tracey 'Old Enough To Be My Mum' Mills aka Crazy Cat Lady and Cat Lover
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Gavin Chipper wrote:In coming up with my own list, I'm not too bothered about having the same number of people from each series, although it might be nice to have at least two per series. Basically all champions automatically qualify, and then the rest do based on some combination of how far they got and how good I thought they were when they were on. Some series had a higher level of quality than others.

OK, so here's a list of some people I might pick:

Series 62: Oliver Garner
Series 63: Eoin Monaghan
Series 67: Paul James, Heather Styles, David Barnard
Series 68: Giles Hutchings, Andy Platt, Eileen Taylor
Series 69: Callum Todd, Dylan Taylor, Jen Steadman, Bradley Cates, Glen Webb
Series 70: Mark Murray, Andy Naylor, Samir Pilica
Series 71: ???

There's already 16 in that list, so potentially two or three might have to be dropped based on what happens in series 71. As beaten semi-finalists without a massively strong scoring record, I think David Barnard, Eileen Taylor and Samir Pilica could be in the firing line. My bias based on current skill on Apterous would mean wanting to keep David Barnard, but can that be objectively justified? I'd say that since it's not an exact science anyway, it would be good for the game to have him in. Realistically, quota-based thinking probably increases Eileen Taylor's chances, so that puts Samir Pilicia on the edge.

Also it's very series 69 heavy. Jen Steadman is the only beaten quarter-finalist on my list, but the high scoring does it for me, and also from their point of view they might want more female contestants. I'd pick her anyway though. Then you have beaten semi-finalists Glen Webb and Bradley Cates. Both high scorers, but is it enough?

Heather Styles and Andy Naylor weren't the strongest scorers, but both made the final so I'd say they are in a safer position than some of the others I've mentioned.

If it was entirely down to me, I'd probably take out Eileen, Samir and Bradley in that order to make way for series 71 contestants, but probably a more realistic prediction is Samir, Bradley, Glen, or with maybe Samir shifted along if they think there's too many from series 69. David Barnard too is probably at risk, but it's likely one of him or Samir could be saved to stop it being series 69 heavy.

The eight I didn't mention as potential casualties were Oliver Garner, Eoin Monaghan, Paul James, Giles Hutchings, Andy Platt, Callum Todd, Dylan Taylor and Mark Murray. Oliver and Eoin are there because they weren't allowed in the 30th Birthday thing for age reasons or something but have done enough to warrant a place.
I thought I'd have another look at this now that another series worth of players will need to be squeezed in. Looking at the players from series 71, the octotals were quite close in quite a few cases, so I don't think there are really any cases where someone's octorun will count ahead of someone that got further than them. So what I'm saying is that I wouldn't include any of the beaten quarter finalists. Dan McColm would obviously make it as champion, then we have Antoinette Ryan followed by George Ford and then Laurence Killen. Although I don't envisage four going through from this series anyway (read on to see how many do make my list from this series - I don't know yet because I'm making it up as I go along).

I'd still want to include Oliver Garner and Eoin Monaghan and with the five champions we now already have as well, this gives us seven players. Looking at my previous list, I also had Andy Platt, and Dylan Taylor as definites, and I don't see any reason to change that. So seven places to go, but some will need to be reserved for series 72. So I'm going for:

Series 62: Oliver Garner
Series 63: Eoin Monaghan
Series 68: Giles Hutchings, Andy Platt
Series 69: Callum Todd, Dylan Taylor, Jen Steadman
Series 70: Mark Murray, Andy Naylor
Series 71: Dan McColm, Antoinette Ryan

I've left it at 14 because there's going to be at least two from series 72, but Glen Webb is my 15th seed. David Barnard is possibly a bit of a fudge though. I mean, I'm definitely not basing it on Apterous form, and probably none of you will think to question his credentials so I'll get away with it. Jen Steadman also only made the quarter finals, and only scored seven more than Glen Webb in her octorun and he made the semis, but when you look at the max available, Jen's was better. I'm not sure if that's something they should "officially" look at though. If there's three players that need to go in from series 72, then maybe Jen or David would have to go. I've included everyone that made the final, but Heather Styles and Andy Naylor's actual form is less than some of the others, so they're not untouchable. And I'm not sure there's room for George on merit alone. Sorry!
Heather Styles

Post by Heather Styles »

I am not as good a player as many people in recent series who did not happen to reach a grand final, and I might be washing my hair/doing my ironing on the day of recording anyway. However, I would like to question whether "actual form" is relevant in terms of being invited to take part in a Championship of Champions. (And if it is relevant, how might it be measured? Maxes scored? Apterous Pro Rank? Willy size? Yawn.)
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Heather Styles wrote:I am not as good a player as many people in recent series who did not happen to reach a grand final, and I might be washing my hair/doing my ironing on the day of recording anyway. However, I would like to question whether "actual form" is relevant in terms of being invited to take part in a Championship of Champions. (And if it is relevant, how might it be measured? Maxes scored? Apterous Pro Rank? Willy size? Yawn.)
It shouldn't really be done on Apterous form. Probably not really maxes either because they're not officially measured. In that sense both Jen and David's inclusion would be on shaky ground. But I do think they have in the past included, for example, high-scoring number one seeds who got knocked out in the quarter finals. Glen Webb probably does have a better "objective" claim than Jen Steadman.

So if we include all the finalists from series 67 to 72 and Oliver and Eoin it would leave two spaces for high scoring semi/quarter finalists. Glen Webb probably has the strongest case for one of these so far.

Sorry to make you yawn again!
Zarte Siempre
Series 78 Champion

Post by Zarte Siempre »

Or maybe they'll just pick good players who aren't nobs because they want the viewer to watch it, and paying any attention to anything statistical is a waste of time?
Possibly the first contestant to accelerate with a mic clipped...
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Zarte Siempre wrote:Or maybe they'll just pick good players who aren't nobs
That's a very gracious way to rule yourself out of the running :lol:
Zarte Siempre
Series 78 Champion

Post by Zarte Siempre »

Jon O'Neill wrote:
Zarte Siempre wrote:Or maybe they'll just pick good players who aren't nobs
That's a very gracious way to rule yourself out of the running :lol:
:lol: Do one :D
Dave Preece
Devotee

Post by Dave Preece »

Are there any Apto-high-flying-Pro-rankers due to appear in series 72?

I'd pick all the winners coupled with the remarkable contestants too!
Jennifer Steadman
Kiloposter

Post by Jennifer Steadman »

FAO Gevin, RE your new list of invitees: assuming you are definitely going on TV form alone, why would you pick Barnard over George? There's no doubting that Barnard has the ability to win COC based on his Apterous performance these days, but in TV-related terms (which, as we agree, should be the only factor at play here), George lost only to a max game from the series' eventual winner, had a memorable niche with his impressive 4 large solves, is probably one of the most popular contestants of the last few years going by social media (something mentioned on-screen numerous times), and was showered with praise not only during his performances but after them too (he/his online fanbase were mentioned multiple times in the S71 final). Not to mention he scored more octorun points despite unfavourable selections (he only had 1 nine to Barney's 4) against arguably harder opposition and has better stats (these v these).
Of course I have nothing against David's inclusion and he could certainly make the cut based on TV merit, but I reckon George is one of the most likely non-winner/runner-up prospects to receive an invite.
"There's leaders, and there's followers, but I'd rather be a dick than a swallower" - Aristotle
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Jennifer Steadman wrote:FAO Gevin, RE your new list of invitees: assuming you are definitely going on TV form alone, why would you pick Barnard over George? There's no doubting that Barnard has the ability to win COC based on his Apterous performance these days, but in TV-related terms (which, as we agree, should be the only factor at play here), George lost only to a max game from the series' eventual winner, had a memorable niche with his impressive 4 large solves, is probably one of the most popular contestants of the last few years going by social media (something mentioned on-screen numerous times), and was showered with praise not only during his performances but after them too (he/his online fanbase were mentioned multiple times in the S71 final). Not to mention he scored more octorun points despite unfavourable selections (he only had 1 nine to Barney's 4) against arguably harder opposition and has better stats (these v these).
Of course I have nothing against David's inclusion and he could certainly make the cut based on TV merit, but I reckon George is one of the most likely non-winner/runner-up prospects to receive an invite.
Well, when I said his inclusion definitely wasn't a bit of a fudge, you can probably read between the lines. It's hard to argue an "objective" case, but similarly for you over Glen Webb. But yeah, it could be Glen and George.
Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Dave Preece wrote:I'd pick all the winners coupled with the remarkable contestants too!
Very informative!
I'm not dead yet. In a rut right now because of stress from work. I'll be back later in S89. I also plan to bring back the Mastergram - if I can find a way to run a timer or clock through pure MediaWiki without having to upload to Vimeo every time.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

I'd choose Mark Deeks
Dave Preece
Devotee

Post by Dave Preece »

Johnny Canuck wrote:GREAT NEWS!!! Almost, but not quite, makes me want to change the location of my IP address and start pirating the show. ;)

Based solely on what we've seen so far, I would choose:
S62 - Oliver Garner
S63 - either Marcus Hares (had to decline 30BC entry) or Eoin Monaghan... or both, if S71 turns out to be a clunker.
S67 - Paul James, Heather Styles, David Barnard
S68 - Giles Hutchings, Andy Platt
S69 - Callum Todd, Dylan Taylor, Jen Steadman
S70 - Mark Murray, Andy Naylor, Samir Pilica

This leaves room for two or three S71ers. For whatever reason, the Champion of Champions has (in the past) tended not to be a series champion; along these lines, my bets for overall winner are on Dylan.
Very informative(!)
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

Matt Morrison wrote:I'd choose Mark Deeks
yeah agreed
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
He may not be liked on here, but you have to give some credit to Mark
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

That was a dad joke so bad I had to remind myself of it.
But I would choose you for everything and I can't wait to see you tomorrow xx
Tracey Anne Mills
Devotee
Location: The Series 72 Runner Up, The Crazy Cat Lady that lives with her two cats Freddie and Callie

samir pilica wrote:My 16 ( PRESUMING IT'S FILMED IN MAY/JUNE 2015) :

DAN MCCOLM
ANTOINETTE RYAN
GEORGE FORD
JEN STEADMAN
MARK MURRAY
ANDY NAYLOR
CALLUM TODD
DYLAN TAYLOR
ANDY PLATT
GILES HUTCHINGS
HEATHER STYLES
PAUL JAMES
GLENN WEBB
TRACEY MILLS
ANDREW KEITH
GERRY TYNAN
Adding Thomas Cappleman to the list as well
Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Dang it. Every time I see someone post names in here I keep thinking they've done the draw.
I'm not dead yet. In a rut right now because of stress from work. I'll be back later in S89. I also plan to bring back the Mastergram - if I can find a way to run a timer or clock through pure MediaWiki without having to upload to Vimeo every time.
Countdown Team
Acolyte

Post by Countdown Team »

Definitely won't be May June 2015. Hoping to get it sorted for the start of Jan 2016 (transmission), which would mean filming in from Oct 2015. Will post any definite news once everything is cleared up.
Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Countdown Team wrote:Definitely won't be May June 2015. Hoping to get it sorted for the start of Jan 2016 (transmission), which would mean filming in from Oct 2015. Will post any definite news once everything is cleared up.
Any reasons why not?
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Johnny Canuck wrote:
Countdown Team wrote:Definitely won't be May June 2015. Hoping to get it sorted for the start of Jan 2016 (transmission), which would mean filming in from Oct 2015. Will post any definite news once everything is cleared up.
Any reasons why not?
I'm very busy, I'm much more likely to be able to make filming in October :geek:
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Post by JackHurst »

Tracey Anne Mills wrote:

DAN MCCOLM
ANTOINETTE RYAN
GEORGE FORD
JEN STEADMAN
MARK MURRAY
ANDY NAYLOR
CALLUM TODD
DYLAN TAYLOR
ANDY PLATT
GILES HUTCHINGS
HEATHER STYLES
PAUL JAMES
GLENN WEBB
TRACEY MILLS
ANDREW KEITH
GERRY TYNAN
Huh?
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

JackHurst wrote:
Tracey Anne Mills wrote:

DAN MCCOLM
ANTOINETTE RYAN
GEORGE FORD
JEN STEADMAN
MARK MURRAY
ANDY NAYLOR
CALLUM TODD
DYLAN TAYLOR
ANDY PLATT
GILES HUTCHINGS
HEATHER STYLES
PAUL JAMES
GLENN WEBB
TRACEY MILLS
ANDREW KEITH
GERRY TYNAN
Huh?
He's back on screen a week on Thursday. Tracey clearly has high hopes for him. As do I. ;) :) :D
Bradley Cates
Acolyte

Post by Bradley Cates »

So does that mean the usual 16 contestants from Series 67-73 will take part (if it goes ahead)? Or is it likely that there will be more contestants as the standard has been very high recently?
Sfumato soup
Thomas Cappleman
Series 72 Champion

Post by Thomas Cappleman »

Johnny Canuck wrote:
Any reasons why not?
I asked when I was up for filming, and they said that the summer schedule gets too disrupted by racing to make it worth putting the CoC there
Tracey Anne Mills
Devotee

Thomas Cappleman wrote:
Johnny Canuck wrote:
Any reasons why not?
I asked when I was up for filming, and they said that the summer schedule gets too disrupted by racing to make it worth putting the CoC there
Definitely Thomas
samir pilica
Acolyte

Post by samir pilica »

Interesting to see the thread has just hit 15000 views and keeps rising in spite of the Countdown Team saying that the filming would likely take place later this year and the last comment having been made in March.
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

That comment also said "Definitely won't be May June 2015", which is now, so this isn't a sign of anything.
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
He may not be liked on here, but you have to give some credit to Mark
samir pilica
Acolyte

Post by samir pilica »

Tracey Anne Mills wrote:

DAN MCCOLM
ANTOINETTE RYAN
GEORGE FORD
JEN STEADMAN
MARK MURRAY
ANDY NAYLOR
CALLUM TODD
DYLAN TAYLOR
ANDY PLATT
GILES HUTCHINGS
HEATHER STYLES
PAUL JAMES
GLENN WEBB
TRACEY MILLS
ANDREW KEITH
GERRY TYNAN
Following the conclusion of the Series 72, I would like to add Tom Cappleman to the list of people I would like to see in the next CoC. Unfortunately, as a result ,Andrew Keith or Gerry Tynan become a casualty. Shame that no more than 16 players are likely to be considered for the tournament.
Fred Mumford
Enthusiast

Post by Fred Mumford »

I hope just being a Grand Finalist doesn't guarantee a CoC place this time around, otherwise the places are all filled - the finalists from series 67 to 73, plus Eoin and Oliver.

Losing the grand final doesn't make a player the 2nd best of the series - in many cases, great players fell short before that eg Jen, who fell victim to the mockery that Callum's improvement made of the series 69 seedings. Others like George Ford, Glen Webb and Andy Noden are far better than some who reached the grand final.
James Laverty
Enthusiast

Post by James Laverty »

Fred Mumford wrote:I hope just being a Grand Finalist doesn't guarantee a CoC place this time around, otherwise the places are all filled - the finalists from series 67 to 73, plus Eoin and Oliver.

Losing the grand final doesn't make a player the 2nd best of the series - in many cases, great players fell short before that eg Jen, who fell victim to the mockery that Callum's improvement made of the series 69 seedings. Others like George Ford, Glen Webb and Andy Noden are far better than some who reached the grand final.
They way it's going I think it will be the two finalists from each series, plus two more. Whether they invite Oli and Eoin back, or give the other two places to the likes of Jen and George I don;t know
Definitely not Jamie McNeill or Schrodinger's Cat....
Tom
Acolyte

Post by Tom »

It would be good to see a C of C again but I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't going to happen. Surely now it must be at the point where if they were going to have a 16 player tournament some players who would have made any other C of C would have to miss out. Maybe do something like have 12 players have a bye then get 8 extra players to play and the 4 winners make it to 16 perhaps?

I would feel sorry for any players who would be guaranteed/in the running to play in a C of C if one wasn't to happen but at the same time I'd understand if the producers would be reluctant to hold one and viewers wouldn't want to see one for the reason the standard would just be ridiculously high and I think at times could be like an Apterous exhibition!

With things like Apterous, whilst I think its a great practice tool and piece of software, it has in my mind increased the standard ridiculously and I think has probably alienated a lot of viewers and maybe even stopped any prospective contestants from applying. I can't help but think that if Apterous wasn't around then there would have been a C of C a long time ago!
Probably the second tallest ever series finalist.
Tom
Acolyte

Post by Tom »

It would be good to see a C of C again but I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't going to happen. Surely now it must be at the point where if they were going to have a 16 player tournament some players who would have made any other C of C would have to miss out. Maybe do something like have 12 players have a bye then get 8 extra players to play and the 4 winners make it to 16 perhaps?

I would feel sorry for any players who would be guaranteed/in the running to play in a C of C if one wasn't to happen but at the same time I'd understand if the producers would be reluctant to hold one and viewers wouldn't want to see one for the reason the standard would just be ridiculously high and I think at times could be like an Apterous exhibition!

With things like Apterous, whilst I think its a great practice tool and piece of software, it has in my mind increased the standard ridiculously and I think has probably alienated a lot of viewers and maybe even stopped any prospective contestants from applying. I can't help but think that if Apterous wasn't around then there would have been a C of C a long time ago!
Probably the second tallest ever series finalist.
Jennifer Steadman
Kiloposter

Post by Jennifer Steadman »

Tom wrote:It would be good to see a C of C again but I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't going to happen. Surely now it must be at the point where if they were going to have a 16 player tournament some players who would have made any other C of C would have to miss out. Maybe do something like have 12 players have a bye then get 8 extra players to play and the 4 winners make it to 16 perhaps?

I think this was originally the reason for a CoC not being held near the beginning of the 60-series, but with 30th BC being so well received by the audience it was no longer seen as an issue. A CoC was intended for last winter but didn't happen because of scheduling issues - last we heard (admittedly a while back) it was intended to be filmed in the autumn/winter this year for broadcast in January. No info on number of contestants or likely eligibility criteria though.
"There's leaders, and there's followers, but I'd rather be a dick than a swallower" - Aristotle
Mark Mills
Rookie

Post by Mark Mills »

I did hear that it is being considered for January 2016 the recordings when I asked at studios, so could be on... I reckon that they will want a few ladies on board and not all fellas what you think.
Married to Tracey Mills but please don't be put off. :D
Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Will the letter shuffling system be freaky again? I actually kind of liked it that way.
Heather Styles

Post by Heather Styles »

Fred, you are right that losing the Grand Final doesn't necessarily make a player the second best of the series, and I present myself to the court as Exhibit A. But I can't help wondering on what basis a Championship of Champions could be described as such if series runners-up were not invited. (By the way, I think some of your observations/remarks in this thread are needlessly crass/bitchy, but fortunately, your opinions - and mine, and anyone's other than Countdown Team's - are absolutely irrelevant here.)
Fred Mumford
Enthusiast

Post by Fred Mumford »

Heather Styles wrote:I think some of your observations/remarks in this thread are needlessly crass/bitchy
I was all ready to defend myself, but when I read some of it back, I actually agree :(

Apologies for any offence caused - especially as all of the potential CoC candidates could beat me by at least 50 points whilst playing blindfolded. And possibly whilst drunk too. Even unconscious it could go either way.
Heather Styles

Post by Heather Styles »

That's okay, Fred. I've had a bit of a sense of humour failure recently, and almost certainly over-reacted.
Countdown Team
Acolyte

Post by Countdown Team »

Hoping to get finality on the C of C within the next week or so.

Filming would be Nov 4, 23 and 24 - with the shows being aired from the start of Jan 2016.

Have drawn up the list of 16 invitees, plus one reserve to cover for any illness / unforeseen absence, and once everything is ratified, we will post all on here, as well as making every attempt to contact those concerned individually (some of our data may be obsolete).

Thanks !
Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Countdown Team wrote:Hoping to get finality on the C of C within the next week or so.

Filming would be Nov 4, 23 and 24 - with the shows being aired from the start of Jan 2016.

Have drawn up the list of 16 invitees, plus one reserve to cover for any illness / unforeseen absence, and once everything is ratified, we will post all on here, as well as making every attempt to contact those concerned individually (some of our data may be obsolete).

Thanks !
You da man! Thank you for letting us all know.

So it is only 16.
Giles
Series 68 Champion

Post by Giles »

So much yes. All aboard the hype train!
Zarte Siempre
Series 78 Champion

Post by Zarte Siempre »

Damn, only 16... well there goes my hopes of an invite based on the Ask Graeme thread! :D
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

How far through filming for this series are we? If we already have the 16 invitees, is it not dependent on the result of the series?
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

Gavin Chipper wrote:How far through filming for this series are we? If we already have the 16 invitees, is it not dependent on the result of the series?
Presumably the CoC will only include contestants from series 67-72, and people from S73 will have to wait for the next one. This would be the same as what happened with the 30th Birthday Championship - it followed S67 but didn't feature any contestants from that series.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Graeme Cole wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote:How far through filming for this series are we? If we already have the 16 invitees, is it not dependent on the result of the series?
Presumably the CoC will only include contestants from series 67-72, and people from S73 will have to wait for the next one. This would be the same as what happened with the 30th Birthday Championship - it followed S67 but didn't feature any contestants from that series.
Maybe but it's not been the case with standard CoCs in the past.
Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Graeme Cole wrote:
Maybe but it's not been the case with standard CoCs in the past.
With the exception of CoC XII, where it happened with Corby -- he had to be entered into XIII instead. (Possibly Martin Bishop in CoC XIII too, although this seems to be more as a result of them having too many people from Series 59 already.)
Countdown Team
Acolyte

Post by Countdown Team »

Graeme Cole wrote: Presumably the CoC will only include contestants from series 67-72, and people from S73 will have to wait for the next one. This would be the same as what happened with the 30th Birthday Championship - it followed S67 but didn't feature any contestants from that series.

Exactly this. There isn't enough time to wait and see who wins S73 then invite them at such short notice. The C of C would start the morning after the final of S73, so it's impractical and also a bit unfair. The winner of S73 will be studio fresh, the rest will be returning after quite a long absence, so it's been restricted to 67-72 and to hopefully generate a level playing field.

The draw has been made this afternoon and the first-round pairings are done. All randomly generated online, in the same way as the 30th Birthday series. If anyone has moved house or got a different email address / mobile number since their last appearance, please do get in touch and let us have your updated information.

Again, this is only a provisional proposal at the moment and nothing has yet been officially confirmed. Fingers crossed it will all come good.
Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Well, here we go.

*Ctrl+R*
*Ctrl+R*
*Ctrl+R*
*Ctrl+R*
*Ctrl+R*
*Ctrl+R*

It's gonna be a long week.
Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Predictions ahoy.

Series 68: Giles Hutchings, Andy Platt
Series 69: Callum Todd, Dylan Taylor, Jen Steadman
Series 70: Mark Murray, Andy Naylor
Series 71: Dan McColm, Antoinette Ryan, George Ford
Series 72: Tom Cappleman, Tracey Mills, Gerry Tynan

My choice of the four non-grand finalists took Apterous performance and ratings into account (that's why George has the edge over Samir).

As far as we know now, none of the big names have officially declined their invitations (e.g., as a result of having gone to the dark side), have they?
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

My choices would be the 12 champions/runners-up, but my 4 wild cards would be David, Jen, Glen and Samir.

Basically, I was tempted to include Bradley as well, but having 5 from one series just seemed too much (although admittedly 4 is at a stretch, but that's purely based on Jen and Glen's super high octototals), and David only just edged Rose due to overall dominance in the majority of his matches.

I only picked Samir over George for adding a bit more variety to the mix, but I wouldn't be surprised if George was picked if current Apterous form is taken into account too....

But, whoever the 16 are, good luck to you all, as this will be a ridiculously top drawer CoC!!! ;) :) :D
Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Post by Johnny Canuck »

James Robinson wrote:My choices would be the 12 champions/runners-up, but my 4 wild cards would be David, Jen, Glen and Samir.

Basically, I was tempted to include Bradley as well, but having 5 from one series just seemed too much (although admittedly 4 is at a stretch, but that's purely based on Jen and Glen's super high octototals), and David only just edged Rose due to overall dominance in the majority of his matches.

I only picked Samir over George for adding a bit more variety to the mix, but I wouldn't be surprised if George was picked if current Apterous form is taken into account too....

But, whoever the 16 are, good luck to you all, as this will be a ridiculously top drawer CoC!!! ;) :) :D
Yeah, I was tempted to put Glen there as well, it's just he would be the fourth person from the same series. Realistically I think I would expect him to get in.
Thomas Carey
Kiloposter

Post by Thomas Carey »

Jen, George, Eileen and Glen is my guess. If no more than three from the same series, then replace Glen with Samir.
cheers maus
Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Will the design of the set be changed at the start of CoC XIV? In the past, CoCs (specifically, X, XI and XIII) have often been the times when the set's appearance gets revamped.

Of course this might just be a coincidence that only losers with no lives will catch.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Johnny Canuck wrote:Will the design of the set be changed at the start of CoC XIV? In the past, CoCs (specifically, X, XI and XIII) have often been the times when the set's appearance gets revamped.

Of course this might just be a coincidence that only losers with no lives will catch.
That would be quite a quick change, considering that based on what CT has said, they'll be recording the Series 73 final on November 3, with the first CoC XIV prelims the next day.

I think probably not in this case, Johnny...... :roll: :P
Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Post by Johnny Canuck »

James Robinson wrote:
Johnny Canuck wrote:Will the design of the set be changed at the start of CoC XIV? In the past, CoCs (specifically, X, XI and XIII) have often been the times when the set's appearance gets revamped.

That would be quite a quick change, considering that based on what CT has said, they'll be recording the Series 73 final on November 3, with the first CoC XIV prelims the next day.

I think probably not in this case, Johnny...... :roll: :P
Oh right, I forgot about the quick turnover. In any case, I think the current set is the best one anyway.