Careful Editing of Countdown

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
Simon Cooper

Careful Editing of Countdown

Post by Simon Cooper »

Following on from today's show (great game, guys!), and Charlie's 'bleeped' word, wondered whether there were any other great 'Countdown edits' that people had experienced?

Back in 1999 in my game against Gary Woodward, Gary declared the word 'GENITALS' which I managed to trump with 'GELATINES'. Richard's response - totally straight faced - was to say 'Sorry, Gary, your genitals just aren't long enough'. :oops:

Studio creased up, 15 minute break before recording could be resumed . . . and of course the whole banter was totally edited out of transmission. Keep hoping it might appear on an 'outtakes' show one day . . .

Any other good examples??!
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Re: Careful Editing of Countdown

Post by David O'Donnell »

Nowhere near as good as that but at one point Des asked me why I kept rushing ahead, like not waiting to be asked for my declarations, to which I replied, "I am dying to pee." Fortunately, that moment died a death on the cutting room floor.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

At the end of today's show, Des said to Alan, "That was a spanking performance." I butted in with "What does that make mine?" and precisely no-one laughed.

Fortunately that particular bit of puerility met a similar fate to David's.
Simon Cooper

Post by Simon Cooper »

When I saw the show today, Charlie, I was trying to guess just how much they had to edit out! I suspect there were more off camera comments that weren't shown?
Damian E
Enthusiast

Post by Damian E »

Simon Cooper wrote:
Any other good examples??!

RW - after a winning DC word "eyes like PISTOLES in the snow".

RW to me in DC, after getting an 8 with a rogue Q in the selection "Anything else Damian"...to which i replied "what do you want, the moon on a stick?", much to RW's annoyance.

Me in DC, the selection was "CMORIISLT". RW "what have you got over there". Me...."We've found clitoris, eventually Richard, but much preferred troilism".

RW to a Series Winner, on the presentation of the dictionaries......"what do you plan to do with them".......contestant replied "not a lot, i'll probably set fire to them".

Des Lynam, after the last letter of a selection was chosen "And here comes that cock".

Best of all a contestant picking the numbers "6 small please Carol"..........CV - "are you sure i can't tempt you to stick a big one in there"..........contestant "at least wait until the show is over".

All of the above are true except one. I'll let you good folk be the judges.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Damian E wrote: Best of all a contestant picking the numbers "6 small please Carol"..........CV - "are you sure i can't tempt you to stick a big one in there"..........contestant "at least wait until the show is over".
The fact that this was never broadcast proves that censorship hurts us all.
Julie T
Kiloposter

Post by Julie T »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Damian E wrote: Best of all a contestant picking the numbers "6 small please Carol"..........CV - "are you sure i can't tempt you to stick a big one in there"..........contestant "at least wait until the show is over".
The fact that this was never broadcast proves that censorship hurts us all.
Surely that's the one 'made for LOLS', eh, Damien??

Hysterical selection, thanks for that! :lol:
"My idea of an agreeable person is a person who agrees with me." Benjamin Disraeli
Julie T
Kiloposter

Post by Julie T »

Not on the show, but in my COGST plate QF on MSN against Michael, before the conundrum, when I was way way behind:

"Dan says:
As Des would say, Julie can't quite catch up now
Julie says:
no shit
Dan says:
I'd love it if the contestant replied "no shit" on the show - even though they'd cut it "

Well, it seemed hysterical at the time, anyway. :lol:

So, maybe I could get away with saying it, but just it'd get cut! ;)
"My idea of an agreeable person is a person who agrees with me." Benjamin Disraeli
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Post by Howard Somerset »

Charlie Reams wrote:At the end of today's show, Des said to Alan, "That was a spanking performance."
Since you offered WANKERS in the same round that Allan offered SPANKER, I was quite expecting Des to turn to you, Charlie, and add "and that was a wanking performance.", and was then anticipating the second ever bleep.
Joe Denniss
Rookie

Post by Joe Denniss »

Charlie Reams wrote:At the end of today's show, Des said to Alan, "That was a spanking performance." I butted in with "What does that make mine?" and precisely no-one laughed.

Fortunately that particular bit of puerility met a similar fate to David's.
I said exactly the same thing to my parents and then laughed at my own joke, if it makes you feel any better.
Peggy Carpenter

Post by Peggy Carpenter »

Hi all
I am 85 and I got wankers too Charlie!!! It's a great word and why it had to be bleeped out I don't know, I guess because it was before the so-called watershed!! I am looking forward to the final of Octochamp with Kai and you Charlie!!
Peggy Carpenter
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Peggy Carpenter wrote:I am 85 and I got wankers
:) Well in Peggy. It is indeed a great word!
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Peggy Carpenter wrote:I am 85 and I got wankers
I thought polygamy was illegal in this country.
If you cut a gandiseeg in half, do you get two gandiseegs or two halves of a gandiseeg?
Malcolm James
Acolyte

Post by Malcolm James »

And of course the "foreskin" exchange between Susie snd Jenny Bond was left in.
Chris Corby
Devotee

Post by Chris Corby »

Malcolm James wrote:And of course the "foreskin" exchange between Susie snd Jenny Bond was left in.
Yes, you may have expected that to have been cut............

I remember after the death of RW, Richard Digance remembered (so do I) that RW said to the champion half way through the game when announcing his score : "69, that's a nice position to be in". Mr Digance was adamant it was an innocent remark, but having seen Richard W's face when he said it, it most certainly was not. Last laugh to RW me thinks.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

One of Charlie's words was censored? Wow!

Now, I have a question. Has there been a lot of contestant/host chemistry lately? I sure don't think so because before Des O'Connor just briefly mentioned some contestants' occupations but did not bother to ask them any more about it at all during the show! Has that stopped?
Martin Bishop
Enthusiast

Post by Martin Bishop »

There was one episode while I was there, where Carol used the phrase "cunning linguist" in her introduction of dictionary corner. That had to be redone.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

I understand why.
Jennifer Turner
Acolyte

Post by Jennifer Turner »

Chris Corby wrote:I remember after the death of RW, Richard Digance remembered (so do I) that RW said to the champion half way through the game when announcing his score : "69, that's a nice position to be in". Mr Digance was adamant it was an innocent remark, but having seen Richard W's face when he said it, it most certainly was not. Last laugh to RW me thinks.
He made that remark in episode 3481 (13 May 2003), when the score was tied at 69-all going into the second ad break. Like CJ de Mooi, I'm not much of a quizzer but I'm a great researcher...
Damian E
Enthusiast

Post by Damian E »

Jennifer Turner wrote:
Chris Corby wrote:I remember after the death of RW, Richard Digance remembered (so do I) that RW said to the champion half way through the game when announcing his score : "69, that's a nice position to be in". Mr Digance was adamant it was an innocent remark, but having seen Richard W's face when he said it, it most certainly was not. Last laugh to RW me thinks.
He made that remark in episode 3481 (13 May 2003), when the score was tied at 69-all going into the second ad break. Like CJ de Mooi, I'm not much of a quizzer but I'm a great researcher...
And a consumate bore.
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Damian E wrote:
Jennifer Turner wrote:He made that remark in episode 3481 (13 May 2003), when the score was tied at 69-all going into the second ad break. Like CJ de Mooi, I'm not much of a quizzer but I'm a great researcher...
And a consumate bore.
CJ went to COBRIS one year and I thought was a nice guy to talk to. Also, I believe, he doesn't like football :mrgreen:

Also I think consummate has 2 M's in its spelling :P
Damian E
Enthusiast

Post by Damian E »

I wasn't meaning CJ.

I'll spell it how i like. Its my keyboard. :P
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Damian E wrote:I wasn't meaning CJ.
My bad, Damian :oops:
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Joseph Bolas wrote:CJ went to COBRIS one year and I thought was a nice guy to talk to. Also, I believe, he doesn't like football :mrgreen:
Had I not known already that you don't like football, that could have been interpreted another way.
Julian Fell
Series 48 Champion

Post by Julian Fell »

Again this is nowhere near matching Simon's example, but from DC guest Sir Tim Rice during my CofC first-round match, after DC had come up with PROLINE: "That's a queue outside a brothel"
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

A couple of weeks ago (may have been when Charlie was playing - can't remember now) I spotted an 8: SHITTIER. Both contestants declared 8, one with a sheepish smirk which led me to believe he'd made the same spot. There was then a rather obvious cut (or so it seemed to me at the time), after which both contestants gave their word as THIRTIES accompanied by puerile smirks all round. I wondered if the recording had been stopped and the contestant with the rude word asked by the production team to declare the inoffensive anagram instead (which would not have affected the score). Can Damian, or Charlie (if indeed it was you), confirm or deny this?
Damian E
Enthusiast

Post by Damian E »

Phil Reynolds wrote:A couple of weeks ago (may have been when Charlie was playing - can't remember now) I spotted an 8: SHITTIER. Both contestants declared 8, one with a sheepish smirk which led me to believe he'd made the same spot. There was then a rather obvious cut (or so it seemed to me at the time), after which both contestants gave their word as THIRTIES accompanied by puerile smirks all round. I wondered if the recording had been stopped and the contestant with the rude word asked by the production team to declare the inoffensive anagram instead (which would not have affected the score). Can Damian, or Charlie (if indeed it was you), confirm or deny this?

Sounds familiar yes Phil.
Martin Bishop
Enthusiast

Post by Martin Bishop »

Phil Reynolds wrote:A couple of weeks ago (may have been when Charlie was playing - can't remember now) I spotted an 8: SHITTIER. Both contestants declared 8, one with a sheepish smirk which led me to believe he'd made the same spot. There was then a rather obvious cut (or so it seemed to me at the time), after which both contestants gave their word as THIRTIES accompanied by puerile smirks all round. I wondered if the recording had been stopped and the contestant with the rude word asked by the production team to declare the inoffensive anagram instead (which would not have affected the score). Can Damian, or Charlie (if indeed it was you), confirm or deny this?
It was one of Junaid's games.