Countdown Personality Of The Year

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter
Location: About 45 minutes south-east of Thibodaux, Louisiana

Re: Countdown Personality Of The Year

Post by Adam Gillard »

Andy McGurn wrote:
Andy Platt wrote:Are people being serious about Abdi? lol
Can't speak for anyone else, but Im serious. I think he was the most standout personality on Coundown in 2013
Andy Platt wrote:Are you sure we're talking about the same person? I don't think Abdi and personality really go in the same sentence without the presence of the word 'devoid'.
That is complete nonsense, Andy P. I'm totally in agreement with Andy M on this one. I didn't watch all of the shows in this series by any means, but the person who stood out most for me in terms of personality was Abdi (or Abdirizak - please can everyone stop spelling it wrong).

I wasn't even considering voting on this, but to give Abdi a decent chance, I will.

Countdown Personality Of The Year - Abdirizak Hirsi.
Mike Brown: "Round 12: T N R S A E I G U

C1: SIGNATURE (18) ["9; not written down"]
C2: SEATING (7)
Score: 108–16 (max 113)

Another niner for Adam and yet another century. Well done, that man."
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter

Post by Adam Gillard »

Surprised there have been no votes for Chris Wills - great personality too.

Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Countdown: Conor Travers
Apterous: Callum Todd
C4C: Graeme Cole
I'm not dead yet. In a rut right now because of stress from work. I'll be back later in S89. I also plan to bring back the Mastergram - if I can find a way to run a timer or clock through pure MediaWiki without having to upload to Vimeo every time.
Anthony Endsor
Enthusiast

Post by Anthony Endsor »

Dave Preece wrote:
Anthony Endsor wrote:So with just 3 days of voting still to go, here are the latest voting statistics.

Countdown Personality Of The Year - Conor Travers 3 Abdizirak Hirsi 3 John Gardner 1 Glen Webb 1 Jen Steadman 1 Ian Toulson 1
Apterite Of The Year - Marcus Hares 3 Callum Todd 2 Matthew Brockwell 1 Jason Larsen 1 Rachel W 1 Horace Horlicks 1 Nadroj Rekrab 1
C4C User Of The Year - Graeme Cole 5 Mark Deeks 1 James Robinson 1 Dave Preece 1 Matt Morrison 1 Jon Corby 1

Remember, any votes cast up until midnight on 31st December will count and the result will be announced sometime on New Year's Day. You therefore have 3 days to change the world of Countdown forever :P
I'm sure I got two votes?
Sorry yes. Missed the first one. I have now updated the list with the latest votes included. :P
Thomas Carey
Kiloposter

Post by Thomas Carey »

Countdown - Innis Carson (tough between him and Conor, but this was mainly beacause of the 25-hour thing)
Apterous - Callum Todd
Forum - Graeme Cole
cheers maus
Phil Collinge
Acolyte

Post by Phil Collinge »

Countdown - Conor
Apterous - Marcus
C4C - Graeme
Andy Platt
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Platt »

Adam Gillard wrote:
Andy McGurn wrote:
Andy Platt wrote:Are people being serious about Abdi? lol
Can't speak for anyone else, but Im serious. I think he was the most standout personality on Coundown in 2013
Andy Platt wrote:Are you sure we're talking about the same person? I don't think Abdi and personality really go in the same sentence without the presence of the word 'devoid'.
That is complete nonsense, Andy P. I'm totally in agreement with Andy M on this one. I didn't watch all of the shows in this series by any means, but the person who stood out most for me in terms of personality was Abdi (or Abdirizak - please can everyone stop spelling it wrong).

I wasn't even considering voting on this, but to give Abdi a decent chance, I will.

Countdown Personality Of The Year - Abdirizak Hirsi.
Lol okay. Still not sure whether sarcasm or not so I think I'll just take a step back from the discussion.
Dave Preece
Devotee

Post by Dave Preece »

Countdown: Conor Travers
Apterous: Innis Carson
C4C: Dave Preece
Token Female Award: Jennifer Steadman
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter

Post by Adam Gillard »

I'm not being sarcastic, Andy. Did you even watch Abdi on the show? I can't believe you think he has no personality, unless you just watched his conundrum buzzes or something. He oozes an effervescent personality and enjoyment of just being there.

Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Dave Preece wrote:Countdown: Conor Travers
Haha! Nothing if not persistent, good work!
Anthony Endsor
Enthusiast

Post by Anthony Endsor »

So with just 9 hours of voting still to go, here are the latest voting statistics.

Countdown Personality Of The Year - Conor Travers 6 Abdizirak Hirsi 4 John Gardner 1 Glen Webb 1 Jen Steadman 1 Ian Toulson 1 Callum Todd 1 Innis Carson 1
Apterite Of The Year - Marcus Hares 5 Callum Todd 4 Matthew Brockwell 1 Jason Larsen 1 Rachel W 1 Horace Horlicks 1 Nadroj Rekrab 1 Innis Carson 1
C4C User Of The Year - Graeme Cole 9 Dave Preece 3 Mark Deeks 1 James Robinson 1 Matt Morrison 1 Jon Corby 1

Remember, any votes cast up until midnight tonight will count and the result will be announced sometime tomorrow. You therefore have 9 hours to change the world of Countdown forever :P
It looks like Graeme Cole is running away with the C4C User Of The Year award, but the other 2 awards are wide open. Marcus has a narrow lead on Callum for the Apterite Of The Year award, and Conor is currently ahead in the Countdown Personality Of The Year stakes. But that could all change in the next few hours, so if you haven't voted yet and your favourite isn't in the lead, time is fast running out. Remember, if you don't vote by midnight and your favourite doesn't win, it'll be too late to cry :lol:
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

The three current poll leaders are the three correct answers.
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
He may not be liked on here, but you have to give some credit to Mark
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Anthony Endsor wrote:So with just 9 hours of voting still to go, here are the latest voting statistics.

Countdown Personality Of The Year - Conor Travers 6 Abdizirak Hirsi 4 John Gardner 1 Glen Webb 1 Jen Steadman 1 Ian Toulson 1 Callum Todd 1 Innis Carson 1
Apterite Of The Year - Marcus Hares 5 Callum Todd 4 Matthew Brockwell 1 Jason Larsen 1 Rachel W 1 Horace Horlicks 1 Nadroj Rekrab 1 Innis Carson 1
C4C User Of The Year - Graeme Cole 9 Dave Preece 3 Mark Deeks 1 James Robinson 1 Matt Morrison 1 Jon Corby 1

Remember, any votes cast up until midnight tonight will count and the result will be announced sometime tomorrow. You therefore have 9 hours to change the world of Countdown forever :P
It looks like Graeme Cole is running away with the C4C User Of The Year award, but the other 2 awards are wide open. Marcus has a narrow lead on Callum for the Apterite Of The Year award, and Conor is currently ahead in the Countdown Personality Of The Year stakes. But that could all change in the next few hours, so if you haven't voted yet and your favourite isn't in the lead, time is fast running out. Remember, if you don't vote by midnight and your favourite doesn't win, it'll be too late to cry :lol:
This is nominations though, not the vote, right? Or at what point did it change?
Anthony Endsor
Enthusiast

Post by Anthony Endsor »

I was initially going to allow a time for nominations and then a vote, just as in the Sports Personality Of The Year, but I think due to the timescale to the end of the year, it just defaulted to the vote, so this is in fact the vote.
To make it fairer, in order to allow for any misunderstanding, I will extend the deadline for votes to 12pm midday tomorrow :P
Dave Preece
Devotee

Post by Dave Preece »

Matt Morrison wrote:
Dave Preece wrote:Countdown: Conor Travers
Haha! Nothing if not persistent, good work!
;-)
Dave Preece
Devotee

Post by Dave Preece »

Mark Deeks wrote:The three current poll leaders are the three correct answers.
The three second placed in the poll are also correct answers!
Dave Preece
Devotee

Post by Dave Preece »

YES the silver medal...!!!

All my hard work was worth while.
Anthony Endsor
Enthusiast

Post by Anthony Endsor »

And so the time has come to announce the winners. Interesting to see that in all 3 categories there are clear winners and 2nd places, but 3rd place is shared with a number of people who got one vote each.

So to present the C4C User Of The Year award, please welcome a great friend to Countdown for many years, former Conservative MP and regular DC guest - GYLES BRANDRETH.
(Big cheers as Gyles Brandreth enters)
Gyles: Thank you, thank you, it is such a great honour to be here today and it so reminds me of the day way back in 1896 when..(producer interjects - GET ON WITH IT) oh sorry yes, anyway here we are. The C4C User Of The Year is as follows. In 3rd place joint - Mark Deeks, James Robinson, Matt Morrison, Jon Corby. In 2nd place - Dave Preece. And the winner is.........drumroll..........................GRAEME COLE.
Thank you Gyles for that and congratulations to Graeme Cole on his victory. :P
Now to present the 2nd award, please welcome another great Countdown friend who presented the show for 2 years way back in the mid 2000's, DES O CONNOR.
(Big cheers as Des O Connor enters)
Des: Well Thank you everyone and what a joy it is to be with you today. I have here the winner of the Apterite Of The Year award. Here are the names. In 3rd place joint - Matthew Brockwell, Jason Larsen, Rachel W, Horace Horlicks, Nadroj Rekrab and Innis Carson. In 2nd place - Callum Todd. And the winner is...........drumroll................MARCUS HARES.
Thank you Des O.
And now our final and probably biggest award, the Countdown Personality Of The Year, and here to present it is none other than the lovely Comedienne herself JO BRAND. :P
(A mixture of cheers and boos as Jo enters)
Jo: Well thank you everyone, you know what I really thought this was a bingo night until someone told me it was an awards ceremony. Anyway here are the names for the Countdown Personality Of The Year. In 3rd place joint - John Gardner, Glen Webb, Jen Steadman, Ian Toulson, Callum Todd and Innis Carson. In 2nd place - AbdiRiZak Hirsi. And the winner is .....................drumroll.................................CONOR TRAVERS.
Thank you Jo for that. And that concludes our search for the Countdown, Apterite and C4C personalities of 2013. Congratulations to all winners and see you all next year. :P
Last edited by Anthony Endsor on Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter

Post by Adam Gillard »

Anthony Endsor wrote:Abdizirak
Try again.

Marcus Hares
Acolyte

Post by Marcus Hares »

I didn't even know this was a thing until someone congratulated me on Facebook - so thanks for all the nominations guys, it really does mean a lot that people appreciate what you do. I don't do the tourneys for Spoons or acknowledgement, although those are lovely, I'm just a frustrated tennis umpire - I must look into doing that someday!

Special thanks to Callum who voted for me and in doing so means I don't have to share the award with him - cheers Cal!
Anthony Endsor
Enthusiast

Post by Anthony Endsor »

Adam Gillard wrote:
Anthony Endsor wrote:Abdizirak
Try again.
Ooops sorry. Corrected now. :P
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Only just saw this had become an actual thing. It doesn't seem very definitive.

But my votes would have been

apterous: Zarte (his efforts in the ongoing aptotude and the incredibly innovative (where does he get the ideas from?) Mole contest are admirable IMO).

Countdown: Abdi (I haven't watched much Countdown this year apart from the 30BC, but when Abdi hit the screens, he gave me a reason to watch, and watch I did until he got beat. His enthusiasm and determination reminded me of an excitable dog.)

c4c: Dave Preece (he's a bit of a twit, but has sparked a bit of life from the embers of c4c)
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Ryan Taylor wrote:Dave Preece (he's a bit of a twit, but has sparked a bit of life from the embers of c4c)
Definitely agree with this comment.
Dave Preece
Devotee

Post by Dave Preece »

Thanks... I think?
Dave Preece
Devotee

Post by Dave Preece »

Ryan Taylor wrote:
Countdown: Abdi (I haven't watched much Countdown this year apart from the 30BC, but when Abdi hit the screens, he gave me a reason to watch, and watch I did until he got beat. His enthusiasm and determination reminded me of an excitable dog.)
Well, you certainly missed some fantastic contestants in what was probably the highest standard regular series of Countdown ever IMHO.
Zarte Siempre
Series 78 Champion

Post by Zarte Siempre »

Ryan Taylor wrote:apterous: Zarte (his efforts in the ongoing aptotude and the incredibly innovative (where does he get the ideas from?) Mole contest are admirable IMO).
:oops: Aww, shucks. Thanks Ginge. I never knew you cared :P
Possibly the first contestant to accelerate with a mic clipped...