Pointless Series 5

For all TV game shows, past, present and future, apart from the main event.

Moderators: JackHurst, Lesley Hines

Adam Gillard
Kiloposter
Location: About 45 minutes south-east of Thibodaux, Louisiana

Re: Pointless Series 5

Post by Adam Gillard »

And again! Well done :) BLACRHINO / BRONCHIAL is a good one too.
Mike Brown: "Round 12: T N R S A E I G U

C1: SIGNATURE (18) ["9; not written down"]
C2: SEATING (7)
Score: 108–16 (max 113)

Another niner for Adam and yet another century. Well done, that man."
Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

Aw snap, no luck James, really well played though. Cricket is probably the worst subject for me so I had no idea, but the other rounds were pretty good. Really enjoyed that! :D
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter
Location: About 45 minutes south-east of Thibodaux, Louisiana

Post by Adam Gillard »

Bad luck James. You and your partner did very well though and you can be proud of those pointless answers and the trophy.
Mike Brown: "Round 12: T N R S A E I G U

C1: SIGNATURE (18) ["9; not written down"]
C2: SEATING (7)
Score: 108–16 (max 113)

Another niner for Adam and yet another century. Well done, that man."
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Thanks a lot guys, a bit disappointed with the final round obviously, especially after Steve said Malcolm Marshall too, but I hadn't heard of him, so that's really why he was sort of forgotten, and even while we were waiting for the few minutes while they were they typing the answers, we almost thought they were all going to be wrong. :(

As we discussed after, if we knew how many people there were on the list (there are only 24 correct answers), we probably would've restricted our search, and maybe even used Willis as a water-tester answer.

I was definitely ecstatic to get 2 Pointlesses, especially since getting the Central African Republic is virtually the equivalent of getting LEOTARDS or a swear word on Countdown, and I definitely didn't think that Tilda Swinton would be Pointless, I only remembered her wearing that "bin-bag" dress when she got her Oscar.

But it was a memorable couple of days down there, especially considering that it was intertwined with that unforgettable play-off semi-final too. 8-)

And I've got a brilliant trophy and Xander & Richard's autographs too. Defo not POINTLESS. ;) :) :D :mrgreen: 8-)

Hopefully I'll back on a TV screen near you soon. ;)
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

I appreciate spoilers and all, but imo if someone reads this thread having not seen the show, it's kinda their own fault (I know I don't read any game show specific thread involving a c4cer until after I've watched it).

Good effort, When 'flags' came up I knew you'd be sailing through that round, and the second round was one of those where it was obvious which couple were going to get a double century (which is a bit of a weakness of the show I feel, and happens not too irregularly -t hey could have made things more interesting if one pass had been noughties, and the other 60s or something, but that's kinda off on a tangent).

Horrible jackpot categories, although listening to your discussions made me think you were going to get it, but as they said, I guess you overthought it. I remember seeing a show where the jackpot question was national trails (or something) and the only one CF and I could think of was the Ridgeway, and we assumed it was far too obvious. Suffice to say it was pointles, and ever since we always remember it when thinking about jackpot answers being 'too obvious'.

The trophies are pretty awesome, though. We're slowly amassing quite a collection between the forumites.
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

Michael Wallace wrote:I appreciate spoilers and all, but imo if someone reads this thread having not seen the show, it's kinda their own fault (I know I don't read any game show specific thread involving a c4cer until after I've watched it).
Agreed. I thought the whole point of this thread was to be a spoiler thread. Noone's gonna talk about an episode that hasn't happened yet that often are they? Unlucky in the final though James. I really thought you were gonna win after your earlier effort. Always nice to see a pointless in the head to head.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Really unlucky James, felt sure you were going to nail the jackpot question as you both seemed to have such good knowledge of the subject. Other than that, an excellent showing! (As 'coon said though, the albums question was a right bitch for those two poor older ladies - they could've at least chucked in some Katherine Jenkins or Michael Bublé or something that they might have known.)
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Jon Corby wrote:the albums question was a right bitch for those two poor older ladies
And not just for older ladies. I knew precisely one answer in each pass.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Phil Reynolds wrote:
Jon Corby wrote:the albums question was a right bitch for those two poor older ladies
I was similar. I knew American Idiot because I quite like Green Day, but would probably have guessed Justified because who else would it be? I think in the second pass I only knew Back to Black, and that was only because it came up when CF and I were on (one of our head to head questions was Amy Winehouse singles, and I did wonder if that was where James picked up that bit of trivia, although it seems unlikely).
Julie T
Kiloposter

Post by Julie T »

Phil Reynolds wrote:
The only one I knew in either pass was James's Amy Winehouse - Back to Black, and I'm not particularly old. ;)

2 pointless answers in the game was awesome, James. :)
Unlucky in the final though, you had the knowledge. Must have been gutting to mention 2 of the pointless answers, but not go for them. :(
"My idea of an agreeable person is a person who agrees with me." Benjamin Disraeli
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Michael Wallace wrote:[...I] would probably have guessed Justified because who else would it be?
Bizarrely, although I didn't know it, something at the back of my mind was saying *NSYNC for that one so I could have made a good (albeit wrong) guess. (The only one I knew on that pass was Scissor Sisters' Ta-Dah.)
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Michael Wallace wrote:but would probably have guessed Justified because who else would it be?
Erm... just about anybody really?

(I did know that one btw, but not really following your logic!)
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Jon Corby wrote:
Michael Wallace wrote:but would probably have guessed Justified because who else would it be?
Erm... just about anybody really?

(I did know that one btw, but not really following your logic!)
Oh, haha. The 'logic' is that I am being a retard. I guessed at the time it would have been Justin Timberlake, and somehow I seem to have misremembered that as being the correct answer. No wonder I'm so good at quizzes. :?
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Michael Wallace wrote:Oh, haha. The 'logic' is that I am being a retard. I guessed at the time it would have been Justin Timberlake, and somehow I seem to have misremembered that as being the correct answer.
Eh? Justin Timberlake was (is) the correct answer. It's the "who else could it be?" bit I'm questioning - why couldn't anybody name their album "Justified"?
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Jon Corby wrote:
Michael Wallace wrote:Oh, haha. The 'logic' is that I am being a retard. I guessed at the time it would have been Justin Timberlake, and somehow I seem to have misremembered that as being the correct answer.
Eh? Justin Timberlake was (is) the correct answer. It's the "who else could it be?" bit I'm questioning - why couldn't anybody name their album "Justified"?
Oops. I sloppily googled and saw something about NSYNC and assumed that was the right answer.

I suppose 'who else could it be?' is a bit strong, but it just seemed a very obvious name for an album by someone called Justin. On retrospect that's not really a fair comment since it could easily be the sort of bland name anyone might use.

In short, I am an a bit of an idoit.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Michael Wallace wrote:In short, I am an a bit of an idoit.
Yes. Yes you are. Don't ever go on Poimtles, you'll only show yourself up.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Today's was quite possibly the best episode of Pointless ever.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Phil Reynolds wrote:Today's was quite possibly the best episode of Pointless ever.
Yeah, a very interesting finish too. Quite an interesting end to the head-to-head.

Nice to know that the £500 I put in the jackpot has gone to a good place too. :D
Thomas Carey
Kiloposter

Post by Thomas Carey »

James Robinson wrote:
Phil Reynolds wrote:Today's was quite possibly the best episode of Pointless ever.
Yeah, a very interesting finish too. Quite an interesting end to the head-to-head.

Nice to know that the £500 I put in the jackpot has gone to a good place too. :D
Technically you put in £2500.
cheers maus
Hugh Binnie
Enthusiast

Post by Hugh Binnie »

Haven't the head-to-head losers been on before? :?
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Thomas Carey wrote:
James Robinson wrote:

Technically you put in £2500.
Awful post. Do the maths properly.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

James Robinson wrote:
Quite an interesting end to the head-to-head.
I'd love to know how long it really took to adjudicate the decision on the Paramaribo answer - I bet what we saw was heavily edited.
Lesley Hines
Kiloposter

Post by Lesley Hines »

Phil Reynolds wrote:
James Robinson wrote:
Quite an interesting end to the head-to-head.
I'd love to know how long it really took to adjudicate the decision on the Paramaribo answer - I bet what we saw was heavily edited.
Yeah, I couldn't help but wonder if they'd've disallowed it before he pointed it out it was close but not right. Fair play to him though as it took some balls to correct that on TV. You run the risk of making yourself look a complete git. Really pleased they got the jackpot.

Awesome stuff James, vwp indeed. Consider yourself excused from getting the round in at CoLin ;)
Lowering the averages since 2009
Lesley Hines
Kiloposter

Post by Lesley Hines »

Matt Morrison wrote:
Thomas Carey wrote: Technically you put in £2500.
I'm guessing at £1000 per episode he was in and £250 x 2: amirite?
Lowering the averages since 2009
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Lesley Hines wrote:Fair play to him though as it took some balls to correct that on TV.
Fabulous cheekbones too. :D

(When the head-to-head started I said to him indoors: "Are we rooting for the gay couple or the cute brothers?" We agreed that, on balance, and as the couple would get another go if they lost, we'd quite like to keep looking at Nick and Charlie for as long as possible, thank you.)
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Lesley Hines wrote:
Matt Morrison wrote:
Thomas Carey wrote: Technically you put in £2500.
I'm guessing at £1000 per episode he was in and £250 x 2: amirite?
Yeah I got what he meant, but James simply being on two episodes of the show does not mean he was responsible for adding £2000 to the jackpot.
If you're going to make such a stupid point (Thomas) then at least figure that there are 8 contestants present per episode, so by Thomas's measure, James was 'responsible' for adding £125 to the jackpot each day, not £1000.

It was an entirely irrelevant and nonsensical comment and I was just trying to point this out without wasting my time having to write all this explanation - oops!
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Lesley Hines wrote:Fair play to him though as it took some balls to correct that on TV. You run the risk of making yourself look a complete git.
Watched it last night with Heather and we both disagreed - he did come across as a total wanker.

Obviously making the actual point of misspelling and mispronunciation was totally valid, but he acted the cock after that.

It started with the piping up of "look I've been there, I think you can take my word for it". That was a dickish comment, at this point though we just about gave him the benefit of the doubt thinking that there had probably been quite a pause in real time before he said that and that he didn't expect it to end up on TV (either he was being a dick or the show's editors were being a dick for putting that in).

But then the celebrations showed him up to be a total cock, the spuds, the high fives, the general posh twattery, topped with the "I'm (we're?) rich!". I think bad winners are worse than bad losers.

No problem with the other brother though.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Can somebody explain what actually happened please, or do I have to go and watch it?
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Matt Morrison wrote:Watched it last night with Heather and we both disagreed - he did come across as a total wanker.
Was about to post pretty much exactly the same (right down to the specific things you point out). The guy just came across as a total "gap yah" type nob.
Jon Corby wrote:Can somebody explain what actually happened please, or do I have to go and watch it?
In the (second) deciding head-to-head question, it was south American capitals. First pair go for something along the lines of Paranaimbo, though they're not really sure, then the second pair (one of whom had lived in south America for 18 months or something) said that they thought it was Paramaribo (which is right). But it got really drawn out because presumably people were worried about whether the first answer was 'close enough' (even though it clearly wasn't). Exciting, huh?
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Funny, now you see I thought the guy from the other team was a cock for saying rather haughtily "It's only a difference in pronunciation" when what he'd said clearly wouldn't be spelt the same way, as Richard pointed out.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Phil Reynolds wrote:Funny, now you see I thought the guy from the other team was a cock for saying rather haughtily "It's only a difference in pronunciation" when what he'd said clearly wouldn't be spelt the same way, as Richard pointed out.
Oh yeah, that too.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Phil Reynolds wrote:Funny, now you see I thought the guy from the other team was a cock for saying rather haughtily "It's only a difference in pronunciation" when what he'd said clearly wouldn't be spelt the same way, as Richard pointed out.
I think I need to watch this, sounds fun.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Ooh. Patrick and Chris (the losing couple from what Richard Osman is referring to on his Twitter feed as "Paramaribo-gate") haven't returned for a second appearance today. Wonder if they stormed off in a huff?
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Jon Corby wrote:
I think I need to watch this, sounds fun.
I thought the same. It wasn't. It just made me angry.
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

Phil Reynolds wrote:Ooh. Patrick and Chris (the losing couple from what Richard Osman is referring to on his Twitter feed as "Paramaribo-gate") haven't returned for a second appearance today. Wonder if they stormed off in a huff?
Not sure what the -gate is all about. It seems pretty open-and-shut to me. [edit: before anyone says it, no, not the gate, smart-arse...] They gave an incorrect answer. Had they pronounced it wrongly but in such a way that it could still be written "Paramaribo", e.g. "pa-ra-mar-EYE-bo", I'd have said it was correct, and not let the other team say the same thing pronounced differently. But in any quiz show, if the question master were to ask "What's the capital of Suriname?" and you said "Paranaimbo" it'd be incorrect. Rather unfortunate, yes, but Richard Osman made the right call.
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

James Robinson wrote:Hopefully I'll back on a TV screen near you soon. ;)
Well played James, and bad luck with the final round. At least you still won the trophy.

Your next TV appearance *has* to be Mastermind, with Countdown as your subject. :-)
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Oh my god.

What a cock.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Jon O'Neill wrote:Oh my god.

What a cock.
Who?
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Posh guy.
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Just catching up on Pointless lolz.

First of all, unlucky James, me and my kid bro really felt for you when you didn't scoop the jackpot. If ever there were an Aesop's fable about knowing too much for your own good, that would be it. Good show though, maybe be 27% less awesome next time?

As for Paramaribo guy - not watched it but he sounds like a right wankmaster general. If you're that confident your opponent's answer is incorrect just say any other correct answer and win the round! Honestly, and if you've lived there for 18 months he must've heard of Georgetown?
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Dinos Sfyris wrote:As for Paramaribo guy - not watched it but he sounds like a right wankmaster general. If you're that confident your opponent's answer is incorrect just say any other correct answer and win the round!
Haha oh yeah hadn't even thought he could do that. I guess he wanted to make sure that by saying it there was an even-further reduced chance that the incorrect answer wasn't accepted as correct but mispronounced.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Matt Morrison wrote:
Dinos Sfyris wrote:As for Paramaribo guy - not watched it but he sounds like a right wankmaster general. If you're that confident your opponent's answer is incorrect just say any other correct answer and win the round!
Haha oh yeah hadn't even thought he could do that. I guess he wanted to make sure that by saying it there was an even-further reduced chance that the incorrect answer wasn't accepted as correct but mispronounced.
But it's surely advantageous (even when you know their answer is wrong) to come up with an obscure one in the event that it could be Pointless and add £250 to the jackpot. Which they then won.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Oh yes, also very true. Good points everyone, well done!
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Dinos Sfyris wrote:First of all, unlucky James, me and my kid bro really felt for you when you didn't scoop the jackpot. If ever there were an Aesop's fable about knowing too much for your own good, that would be it. Good show though, maybe be 27% less awesome next time?
Yeah, lol.

Oh well, hopefully next time we're on, it'll be a bit better. :)

Me and Steve are next planning to send a team to scramble the Eggheads, soon as the applications are back open, but until then, us MARSHALL employees (that's what's even crueller) will just have to reminisce on those good times we had. :D
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

They asked today's opening question at our audition. Fun fact.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Michael Wallace wrote:They asked today's opening question at our audition. Fun fact.
Mine too, my first one that is. Diesel was Pointless then............
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

James Robinson wrote:
Michael Wallace wrote:They asked today's opening question at our audition. Fun fact.
Mine too, my first one that is. Diesel was Pointless then............
Ha, so you might have come pretty close to getting an audition question on the show.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

I know it's not cool to be all "omg how stupid", but sometimes... Round one today was appalling. Cabinet posts, and the top scorers were 44 for the foreign secretary and the prime minister. I think my personal highlight though was the girl who was apparently unsure whether we had a ministry of defence.

Edit: Was amused by the Braille card awkwardness. When I was on Xander just re-read the list when it got to my turn, and they edited it out afterwards, smooth as you like.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Michael Wallace wrote: Edit: Was amused by the Braille card awkwardness. When I was on Xander just re-read the list when it got to my turn, and they edited it out afterwards, smooth as you like.
She could have just had that Braille card already in front of her and we wouldn't have known. Instead they have to show Alexander giving her the Braille card, it just looked a bit like they wanted to highlight it to show how caring they are or something. Can you read Braille, Michael? If so, how long does it take to learn?

Also, glad I watched that one for Sherri as she was very MILFy to say the least.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

The snooker thing was an absolute dream question. 2 out of 3 of our answers were pointless. I bet there was at least another 15 or so pointless answers too they didn't show.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Ryan Taylor wrote:
Michael Wallace wrote: Edit: Was amused by the Braille card awkwardness. When I was on Xander just re-read the list when it got to my turn, and they edited it out afterwards, smooth as you like.
She could have just had that Braille card already in front of her and we wouldn't have known. Instead they have to show Alexander giving her the Braille card, it just looked a bit like they wanted to highlight it to show how caring they are or something. Can you read Braille, Michael? If so, how long does it take to learn?
I presume they didn't want to give her the card in advance because it could be seen as an unfair advantage to have the questions early, and there's also the element of people at home going "huh? why's she got that card?" if they didn't properly explain it like they did. I can't read Braille, no, although it would be pretty cool to learn. Might be a project for when I don't have a thesis to write.
Hugh Binnie
Enthusiast

Post by Hugh Binnie »

Phil Reynolds wrote:Ooh. Patrick and Chris (the losing couple from what Richard Osman is referring to on his Twitter feed as "Paramaribo-gate") haven't returned for a second appearance today. Wonder if they stormed off in a huff?
Like I said, I think they've been on before.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Anyone seen today's show :?:

One of the most incredible ever, methinks :!:

5 POINTLESSES in round 1, and probably one of the most surprising Pointlesses in the final to win the jackpot. Defo thought Colombo would only just be above 0, but shocked that Cape Town & Bloemfontein were Pointless too. Was happy trying Abuja, Windhoek, Suva & Basseterre. 8-) :geek: :ugeek:
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

SPOILERS ABOVE SPOILERS ABOVE
James Robinson wrote:Anyone seen today's show :?:

One of the most incredible ever, methinks :!:

5 POINTLESSES in round 1, and probably one of the most surprising Pointlesses in the final to win the jackpot. Defo thought Colombo would only just be above 0, but shocked that Cape Town & Bloemfontein were Pointless too. Was happy trying Abuja, Windhoek, Suva & Basseterre. 8-) :geek: :ugeek:
The forum's resident JAILBAKER, who has SPONDERED several times...
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

James Robinson wrote:probably one of the most surprising Pointlesses in the final to win the jackpot. Defo thought Colombo would only just be above 0, but shocked that Cape Town & Bloemfontein were Pointless too.
Eh, not that surprising imo, people aren't usually very good at capitals, and throw in the additional difficulty of knowing which countries are in the Commonwealth makes it an absolute gift of a jackpot question. It would be fun to know the stats on whenever they asked for Commonwealth countries to see how they compare to the results of this question, though.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

It rather looked as though the producers were willing the two incredibly camp guys to go through to the final when the first question in the Head-to-Head was "Name a Von Trapp child" and then the decider was "Name a Barbra Streisand film". Was somewhat startled in the latter case when they failed to think of any. The son on the father-son team was distinctly scary - his lap of honour round the studio at the end must have had Richard reaching for the panic button under his desk. Definitely an entertaining show.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Phil Reynolds wrote:It rather looked as though the producers were willing the two incredibly camp guys to go through to the final when the first question in the Head-to-Head was "Name a Von Trapp child" and then the decider was "Name a Barbra Streisand film". Was somewhat startled in the latter case when they failed to think of any.
Haha, I noticed that too. Although I couldn't name any either.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

What an atrocious lot of contestants. Really irritating and dislikable. The only pleasant pair eliminated themselves in the first round with a tactical blunder, then the rest of the show was bland guesswork followed by an easy jackpot question with a huge prize. Urgh.
Miriam Nussbaum
Rookie

Post by Miriam Nussbaum »

Is there a rule on this show that you can't just give last names? Things like "Howard Webb" for "Robert Webb" seem to happen amusingly often on Pointless. If it were me I'd just say "I'll say that Mitchell's partner is Webb", but have they ever mentioned a Pointless-specific rule that a last name by itself is an incomplete or wrong answer?

Also, 4 points for saying that pantaloons are, in fact, a type of…pants? :roll:
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Miriam Nussbaum wrote:Is there a rule on this show that you can't just give last names? Things like "Howard Webb" for "Robert Webb" seem to happen amusingly often on Pointless. If it were me I'd just say "I'll say that Mitchell's partner is Webb", but have they ever mentioned a Pointless-specific rule that a last name by itself is an incomplete or wrong answer?
There is no such general rule, but occasionally in the preamble to a specific question Richard will say something like, "I'll accept surnames" or "First name and surname, please". Other questions are adjudicated case by case; in this instance the answer "Webb" might have been deemed sufficient, although I suspect not. But why would you not answer with the full name if you were convinced you'd got it right, as this guy evidently was? It's equally likely that you might have misremembered the surname rather than the first name, as evidenced by the guy who thought Stephen Fry's comedy partner was Hugh Lloyd.
Also, 4 points for saying that pantaloons are, in fact, a type of…pants? :roll:
It sounds like you're confusing what the contestants are being asked (viz. "Pick an obscure type of trouser from this list") with what the research pool of 100 people were asked ("Name a type of trouser").