Pointless Series 5

For all TV game shows, past, present and future, apart from the main event.

Moderators: JackHurst, Lesley Hines

Mark James
Kiloposter

Re: Pointless Series 5

Post by Mark James »

Craig Beevers wrote:Okay who actually got some of the answers on the second pass of the cross-dressing film question?

I had not a clue, although I did sadly get the 1 point answer on the first pass...

Edit: Okay those are officially one of the worst sets of answers I've ever seen for the last round. Just name some semi-obscure European cities ffs.
I got most of them. Only one's I didn't know was the Guy Pearce one and I knew Cate Blanchet was in a Bob Dylan film but couldn't remember the name. I actually thought the pointless answer was an obvious one.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Mark James wrote:
Craig Beevers wrote:Okay who actually got some of the answers on the second pass of the cross-dressing film question?
I got most of them. Only one's I didn't know was the Guy Pearce one and I knew Cate Blanchet was in a Bob Dylan film but couldn't remember the name. I actually thought the pointless answer was an obvious one.
I also couldn't remember the name of the Cate Blanchett film but I got all the others. I thought the Patrick Swayze one would probably be the best answer but I was surprised it was pointless. And I couldn't believe nobody got the Dustin Hoffman one.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Phil Reynolds wrote:
Mark James wrote:
I also couldn't remember the name of the Cate Blanchett film but I got all the others. I thought the Patrick Swayze one would probably be the best answer but I was surprised it was pointless. And I couldn't believe nobody got the Dustin Hoffman one.
Yeah, such a shocker. Happy to remember the name of the Amanda Bynes one in the first lot.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

If you were asked what sort of establishment the BBC sitcom Chalk was set in, would you be able to guess even if you'd never heard of it? Thought so. Was that a genuinely puzzling result or am I turning into Craig Beevers? :shock:
Lucy Gowers
Rookie

Post by Lucy Gowers »

Phil Reynolds wrote:If you were asked what sort of establishment the BBC sitcom Chalk was set in, would you be able to guess even if you'd never heard of it? Thought so. Was that a genuinely puzzling result or am I turning into Craig Beevers? :shock:
Snooker hall obv.
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Lucy Gowers wrote:
Phil Reynolds wrote:If you were asked what sort of establishment the BBC sitcom Chalk was set in, would you be able to guess even if you'd never heard of it? Thought so. Was that a genuinely puzzling result or am I turning into Craig Beevers? :shock:
Snooker hall obv.
Lolz, excellent.

(BTW I agree, Phil). I actually remember Chalk, it was funny (if you like lowbrow farce, which I do). Which leads me to something else - why have this and Joking Apart (Stephen Moffatt's other - even better - early sitcom) never been repeated? The BBC must have shown every episode of Dad's Army about fifteen million times but there's loads of stuff they've shown once and seemingly chucked in the bin, the twats.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Having never heard of it, I'm going to have a go.

1. Snooker club
2. School
3. Crime Scene Investigation
4. Weightlifting gym
5. Horse-racing tote thing
6. Tennis club
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Jon O'Neill wrote:
Having never heard of it, I'm going to have a go.

1. Snooker club
2. School
3. Crime Scene Investigation
4. Weightlifting gym
5. Horse-racing tote thing
6. Tennis club
OK, fair point. Now fuck off all of you.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

WOW!!!! Amazed that only 3 of the cities were Pointless in that final round today.

At least I got one of them, my 3 were: Lisburn, Newry (thanks to Eddie Mac for that) and the key one Stirling. 8-)
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

What a fluky win that was :!:

That's a bit bad to think that the jackpot went down to £1,000 because of something like that, but oh well.

Not long to go now till you see how me and Steve get on.

P.S. Thank god we didn't get that school question :!: :lol:
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Who's doing today's recap?
Joseph Krol
Kiloposter

Post by Joseph Krol »

Starting a hashtag for tweeters: #jamesrobinson
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

Joseph Krol wrote:Starting a hashtag for tweeters: #jamesrobinson
#pointless is usually pretty reliable.
Joseph Krol
Kiloposter

Post by Joseph Krol »

Ok then.
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

SPOILERS:ul James
The forum's resident JAILBAKER, who has SPONDERED several times...
Jordan F
Kiloposter

Post by Jordan F »

Spoilers be in the white text:

Unlucky there James, seemed like an overall low scoring round that you got just the worst of it. Hoping for better luck on Monday.
Thomas Carey
Kiloposter

Post by Thomas Carey »

Ok, awesome go, spoilers in white,
SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER
SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER
SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER

Nice one, unlucky James, can't believe Marvin the Paranoid Andriod was pointless as it was the only one in that category I knew - wth?

Also, I was watching this at the Krols house and Sophie was pretending to pull the d*ck (not deck, dock, duck or even dack) off your televised figure. I can safely say she is the most disturbing person I know. I have written proof signed by Sophie which I'll upload in the near future.
cheers maus
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

Thomas Carey wrote:
Also, I was watching this at the Krols house and Sophie was pretending to pull the d*ck (not deck, dock, duck or even dack) off your televised figure. I can safely say she is the most disturbing person I know. I have written proof signed by Sophie which I'll upload in the near future.

It's funny that she acts like that in the Krol's house but at CoLei4 earlier this year...
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Thanks a lot guys.

Like all you guys, I too was surprised that Marvin the Paranoid Android was Pointless, as me and Steve both knew that answer, and I was desperately trying to telepathically make him say it, but oh well.

Having seen the head-to-head for the first time too, makes me a bit sad too, as we'd have nailed the first 2 questions. :(

Never mind, there's always the 2nd go.

REMINDER: The show is going into repeat mode for the next 3 weeks, mid-Series 3 to be exact, so my 2nd show isn't on til November 7th. So, another 3 and a half week wait then. :shock:
Jayne Wisniewski
Rookie

Post by Jayne Wisniewski »

Have just watched Pointless. What happens now - do you get another chance?
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Jayne Wisniewski wrote:Have just watched Pointless. What happens now - do you get another chance?
Yeah, I come back next show, but as I just said above, it's not gonna be on for another 3 weeks, so you'll have to wait a bit longet to see if I can win it............
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

I'm sorry James, but I have to say I was disappointed :(
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Jon Corby wrote:I'm sorry James, but I have to say I was disappointed :(
In fairness, knowing what I know, I knew that my first one would probably get a few people down, and I so want to say what happens next time, but obviously I'm gonna have to keep schtum for now.

DAMN THE BBC FOR REPEATS :!: :!: :!: :x :x :x
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

When Steve said he knew 3 of the remaining robots, what were his other ones? When he said KITT I was all *facepalms* because I thought that was obviously going to be the worst answer - he didn't have Marvin did he? :o
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

I really thought when Steve said he didn't know types of bread, and then went for BRIOCHE, that you had whispered it to him, what with it having a bit of a Countdown pedigree...
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Michael Wallace wrote:When Steve said he knew 3 of the remaining robots, what were his other ones? When he said KITT I was all *facepalms* because I thought that was obviously going to be the worst answer - he didn't have Marvin did he? :o
I'm afraid so, we had the same ones in our head. I was facepalming in my head too, I was so trying to telepathically tell him to go with Marvin.

And then when Emma said she knew of Kryten and Marvin, I knew the game was up.

Still can't believe it was Pointless though, it was just about the only thing we talked about for the 30 minutes in the green room, before we did the next show.
Jon Corby wrote:I really thought when Steve said he didn't know types of bread, and then went for BRIOCHE, that you had whispered it to him, what with it having a bit of a Countdown pedigree...
I was connecting the SOURDOUGH more with the Countdown pedigree. :geek:

Even worse is that while I was in Wales last month, we were practically feasting on barmbrack every day............ :oops:
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

James Robinson wrote:Even worse is that while I was in Wales last month, we were practically feasting on barmbrack every day............ :oops:
And yet, as Richard explained, it's an Irish delicacy. Are you sure what you were eating wasn't bara brith?
James Robinson wrote:The show is going into repeat mode for the next 3 weeks, mid-Series 3 to be exact, so my 2nd show isn't on til November 7th.
On a brighter note, you'll be able to watch me again. 8-)
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

James Robinson wrote:
Jon Corby wrote:I'm sorry James, but I have to say I was disappointed :(
In fairness, knowing what I know, I knew that my first one would probably get a few people down, and I so want to say what happens next time, but obviously I'm gonna have to keep schtum for now.
Yes, keep schtum, you wouldn't want to spoil anything by letting on that you did much better in the second show... :?
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Phil Reynolds wrote:
James Robinson wrote:Even worse is that while I was in Wales last month, we were practically feasting on barmbrack every day............ :oops:
And yet, as Richard explained, it's an Irish delicacy. Are you sure what you were eating wasn't bara brith?
Well, my mum claimed it was barmbrack, so don't blame me for that. I wasn't the one who bought it. :lol:
Douglas Wilson
Enthusiast

Post by Douglas Wilson »

Phil Reynolds wrote:
James Robinson wrote:The show is going into repeat mode for the next 3 weeks, mid-Series 3 to be exact, so my 2nd show isn't on til November 7th.
On a brighter note, you'll be able to watch me again. 8-)
When will you're repeat be shown Phil??
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Douglas Wilson wrote:When will you're repeat be shown Phil??
Not for some time it appears, if at all. Today's episode was #3.26; I made my debut in #3.41, so if they continued to repeat series 3 I'd be on in three weeks' time. But James has apparently been told that his second show is being aired on November 7th, so it looks like they're only continuing to repeat series 3 until next Friday (which will be episode #3.32) and then they'll be resuming series 5. I suppose there's a fair chance they'll jump back to the run of repeats at some point, but when that'll be I've no idea.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Phil Reynolds wrote:
Not for some time it appears, if at all. Today's episode was #3.26; I made my debut in #3.41, so if they continued to repeat series 3 I'd be on in three weeks' time. But James has apparently been told that his second show is being aired on November 7th, so it looks like they're only continuing to repeat series 3 until next Friday (which will be episode #3.32) and then they'll be resuming series 5. I suppose there's a fair chance they'll jump back to the run of repeats at some point, but when that'll be I've no idea.
Isn't Pointles on Challenge now? We can be on TV forever if so.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Michael Wallace wrote:
Phil Reynolds wrote:
Not for some time it appears, if at all.
Isn't Pointles on Challenge now? We can be on TV forever if so.
What's Challenge? :?
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Phil Reynolds wrote:What's Challenge? :?
TV channel that shows constant game show repeats. Apparently repeats of Pointles started last month.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Michael Wallace wrote:
TV channel that shows constant game show repeats. Apparently repeats of Pointles started last month.
Yeah, they've even given it a fair bit of advertising, even on Sky News, but it's just Series 1 at the moment.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Michael Wallace wrote:
TV channel that shows constant game show repeats.
Ah right. We don't get it, on either Freeview or Freesat from Sky.
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

Phil Reynolds wrote:
Michael Wallace wrote:
TV channel that shows constant game show repeats.
Ah right. We don't get it, on either Freeview or Freesat from Sky.
No, you do on Freeview - I've got it. Channel 46.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Rhys Benjamin wrote:
Phil Reynolds wrote:We don't get it, on either Freeview or Freesat from Sky.
No, you do on Freeview
No, we don't.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Phil Reynolds wrote:Today's episode was #3.26; I made my debut in #3.41, so if they continued to repeat series 3 I'd be on in three weeks' time.
Or maybe sooner, as today we seem to have skipped straight to #3.28. Wonder why?
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Phil Reynolds wrote:
Rhys Benjamin wrote:
No, you do on Freeview
No, we don't.
That's a bit weird, it should be standard as channel 46 on all Freeview subscriptions (it replaced some defunct channel last February). Maybe you need to do a retuning to get it if you've had the box before February?
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

JimBentley wrote:
That's a bit weird, it should be standard as channel 46 on all Freeview subscriptions (it replaced some defunct channel last February). Maybe you need to do a retuning to get it if you've had the box before February?
Nope, in this area we only switched over to digital in September and our local transmitter doesn't carry the full range of Freeview channels (confirmed by the Digital UK site).
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Phil Reynolds wrote:
JimBentley wrote:
Nope, in this area we only switched over to digital in September and our local transmitter doesn't carry the full range of Freeview channels (confirmed by the Digital UK site).
Ah right, I thought they'd all become standardised now. I wouldn't lose sleep over it, you're not missing much to be fair.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

You're missing shit loads.
James Wilson

Post by James Wilson »

You might like to know-Dorian and I have our (first) appearance repeated today. 5:15 BBC1.

Apologies for the (slight) spoiler in the picture.
Ian Fitzpatrick
Devotee

Post by Ian Fitzpatrick »

Liked the singing, well done.
I thought I was good at Countdown until I joined this forum
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

So, the current series returns today with, oh, ME, back for go #2, if you didn't need reminding already. :D

Hope you enjoy it, if you're gonna watch it. ;) :) :D
Thomas Carey
Kiloposter

Post by Thomas Carey »

Why the **** has it been postponed? :( :o :x :evil:
cheers maus
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Thomas Carey wrote:Why the **** has it been postponed? :( :o :x :evil:
Blame the BBC bigwigs. Presumably for money saving measures. :x

I even had to ring them up to find out :!: :shock:
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Phil Reynolds wrote:
James has apparently been told that his second show is being aired on November 7th, so it looks like they're only continuing to repeat series 3 until next Friday.
OK, well as we all know events have taken a meander into the unexpected, so it looks like Sue's and my shows will be repeated next Wednesday and Thursday. When, just as first time around, I'll be out of the country. FFS, BBC.
Martin Bishop
Enthusiast

Post by Martin Bishop »

Has anyone else applied for the next series? Me and a friend from my pub quiz team put in an application a couple of weeks ago. Haven't heard anything yet.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Bad news, James. If the new Radio Times (OLMAA) is to be believed, next week the Beeb are moving on to repeats of series 4.
Lesley Hines
Kiloposter

Post by Lesley Hines »

Well I never. I put Pointles on to see if the Beeb are finally treating us to the Robmeister's second coming, and there's someone else on instead. It's on now to find out who :)

Btw, vwd Sue & Phil. Don't want to spoilerise but n1.
Lowering the averages since 2009
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Phil Reynolds wrote:Bad news, James. If the new Radio Times (OLMAA) is to be believed, next week the Beeb are moving on to repeats of series 4.
Yeah, unfortunately, I've been keeping on following any TV guide possible to see if there is any idea when it's gonna be on.

I just have a horrible feeling that it's not gonna be this side of Christmas now. :( :cry: :x

The best place I think to try and find the info is Richard Osman's Twitter feed.
tomrowell
Acolyte

Post by tomrowell »

Martin Bishop wrote:Has anyone else applied for the next series? Me and a friend from my pub quiz team put in an application a couple of weeks ago. Haven't heard anything yet.
They rang me on Monday, I have an audition tomorrow :)
Martin Bishop
Enthusiast

Post by Martin Bishop »

tomrowell wrote:
Martin Bishop wrote:Has anyone else applied for the next series? Me and a friend from my pub quiz team put in an application a couple of weeks ago. Haven't heard anything yet.
They rang me on Monday, I have an audition tomorrow :)
How did the audition go? I still haven't heard anything, so I guess it's not looking good for me.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

AT LAST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My 2nd show will be broadcast on Tuesday January 3rd 2012, at the usual time on the usual channel. (That's 17:15 and BBC One, in case you haven't read anything above. :P )
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

SO, TODAY'S THE DAY (AT LAST!!!!!!!!!)

5:15pm on BBC 1 this evening.

Watch it if you can. ;) :) :D
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter
Location: About 45 minutes south-east of Thibodaux, Louisiana

Post by Adam Gillard »

Exciting! I'm expecting plenty of this from you:

d i d d l y d i n g d i n g d i d d l y d i n g ding diddly ding dingdiddlydingdingdiddlydingdingDING! (pointless answers).
Mike Brown: "Round 12: T N R S A E I G U

C1: SIGNATURE (18) ["9; not written down"]
C2: SEATING (7)
Score: 108–16 (max 113)

Another niner for Adam and yet another century. Well done, that man."
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter
Location: About 45 minutes south-east of Thibodaux, Louisiana

Post by Adam Gillard »

Good start James :)
Mike Brown: "Round 12: T N R S A E I G U

C1: SIGNATURE (18) ["9; not written down"]
C2: SEATING (7)
Score: 108–16 (max 113)

Another niner for Adam and yet another century. Well done, that man."
Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

First round was ideal for me, got plenty of pointless answers - well done James!

Nice to know Countdown isn't the only show you know strange facts about. :P