Pointless Series 4

For all TV game shows, past, present and future, apart from the main event.

Moderators: JackHurst, Lesley Hines

Mark James
Kiloposter

Re: Pointless Series 4

Post by Mark James »

Hugh Binnie wrote:Nobody's going to pick opera. :(
That's what I thought about American sports and then it happened. Someone will surprise you. Although probably not.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Today's Rick Astley question was probably the funniest thing on Pointless for a while.

For those of you who didn't see it: In the head-to-head, one of the questions was "Things that Rick Astley was "Never Gonna" do", so basically anything that followed "Never Gonna", in the song.

When Richard revealed the answers, the song was played while he revealed the points. Absolutely fantastic. ;) :) :D :mrgreen: 8-) :lol:
Joseph Krol
Kiloposter

Post by Joseph Krol »

James Robinson wrote:Today's Rick Astley question was probably the funniest thing on Pointless for a while.

For those of you who didn't see it: In the head-to-head, one of the questions was "Things that Rick Astley was "Never Gonna" do", so basically anything that followed "Never Gonna", in the song.

When Richard revealed the answers, the song was played while he revealed the points. Absolutely fantastic. ;) :) :D :mrgreen: 8-) :lol:
Just watched it on iPlayer, classic.
Hugh Binnie
Enthusiast

Post by Hugh Binnie »

James Robinson wrote:Today's Rick Astley question was probably the funniest thing on Pointless for a while.
Very much so.
Mark James wrote:
Hugh Binnie wrote:Nobody's going to pick opera. :(
That's what I thought about American sports and then it happened. Someone will surprise you. Although probably not.
Not surprised... gone.... :cry: Still, three pointless Scottish universities, i.e. Napier, UHI and UWS made up for it somewhat.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

I wonder when the jackpot's next gonna be won :?: Now at £13,250, so will be the highest ever when it's next claimed.

Very unfortunate on Monday with that Overseas Sports Personality question.

How did Rod Laver get 1 point :?:
Martin Bishop
Enthusiast

Post by Martin Bishop »

That one and today's were both fairly gettable, I think. By that, I mean, I got them. Two pointless sportspeople and three pointless Man Booker winners.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

Martin Bishop wrote:That one and today's were both fairly gettable, I think. By that, I mean, I got them. Two pointless sportspeople and three pointless Man Booker winners.
Yeah agreed. The sportsmen is very guessable even with only a passing knowlecge of sport, the Bookers I'm not so sure about (I had plenty of pointles ones, but only because we'd learnt some for when we were on), but agree that if 37/44 are pointles, it's a pretty good opportunity.
Peter Mabey
Kiloposter

Post by Peter Mabey »

I noticed that "knight" was not included in the list of chess pieces which can move diagonally. :o Although some descriptions of the knight's move explain it as a dog-leg, in fact it does move diagonally, though not to an adjacent square :ugeek:
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

Bah, I missed pointless yesterday and see from today's show someone won the jackpot. I don't have access to the i player so could someone tell us some of the questions from yesterdays show, particularly the final? Cheers.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Mark James wrote:Bah, I missed pointless yesterday and see from today's show someone won the jackpot. I don't have access to the i player so could someone tell us some of the questions from yesterdays show, particularly the final? Cheers.
The first round was "Famous Foodies", which was one of the easiest list rounds in ages, you could easily tell which were the pointlesses straight away, and which would get super high scores.

Then there were phrases from films, of which there were defo a few stinkers put in.

Then the head-to-head, there was "Countries ending in "L"", of which I missed 2 sitters, and there were only 5 answers :!: :oops: Then it was SPL teams from last season.

Then the final round was Marlon Brando films, of which they won with The Island Of Doctor Mureau, after failing with On The Waterfront andThe Freshman, which got 9 and 1 respectively.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

One of my "dream" final round questions today - managed to name all five pointless answers, four of them within the 60 seconds. 8-)
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Joseph Krol wrote:

For those of you who missed it, it's now immortalised on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzA06qL_lPs
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

James Robinson wrote:Then the final round was Marlon Brando films
I wonder if they'd have allowed his vocal performance as John Truck-O-Saurus in Truck-O-Saurus: The Movie. "You crazy car, I don't know whether to kiss you or eat you."
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Just noticed on the BBC website that this series is 60 episodes, not 50, as I originally thought.

So, assuming that there is no break, I'm now putting my episode(s) as provisionally, October 13(/14) now.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Just noticed that Karyn in today's show is the same Karyn that I beat in Series 60.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Another ex-Countdowner, in the shape of S62's William Dixon, on today's show.

Nice to see Huddersfield Town mentioned on today's show too. :D
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

Slowly catching up with Pointles, watching yesterday's show with the first "types of nut round" - one of the options in the second pass is filbert, which was the incorrect cheese I went for on our first show :)
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

Are they back on repeats? Today's show so far seems very familiar to me.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Mark James wrote:Are they back on repeats? Today's show so far seems very familiar to me.
Nope, new episodes are still on, and hopefully they'll make the smooth transition into Series 5 in a couple of weeks time. 8-)
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

Bah. I ruled out The Masterplan as an Oasis album as I considered it a best of.
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

James Robinson wrote:
Joseph Krol wrote:

For those of you who missed it, it's now immortalised on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzA06qL_lPs
It's amazing that Pete Waterman wrote that, but he also wrote this.
The forum's resident JAILBAKER, who has SPONDERED several times...
Craig Beevers
Series 57 Champion

Post by Craig Beevers »

Hmm catcher's box less obscure than double dribble. Not sure about that. If you took the survey in America perhaps as it's called travelling over there.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Craig Beevers wrote:Hmm catcher's box less obscure than double dribble. Not sure about that.
On what definition of "obscure" are you basing your view?
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

Phil Reynolds wrote:
Craig Beevers wrote:Hmm catcher's box less obscure than double dribble. Not sure about that.
On what definition of "obscure" are you basing your view?
I would agree with Craig and I would base it on the fact that I watch Baseball and wasn't familiar with the term.
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Craig Beevers wrote:Hmm catcher's box less obscure than double dribble. Not sure about that. If you took the survey in America perhaps as it's called travelling over there.
I didn't see it today - was this one of the multi-choice thingies? If so, I'd have known that there was a catcher's box in baseball, but wouldn't have been confident that double dribble came from basketball and might even have suspected that it was an invented term (although funnily enough had it been 'travelling' instead, I'd have got it as a basketball term straight away).
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

JimBentley wrote:I didn't see it today - was this one of the multi-choice thingies?
It was the round 2 question, specifically "Sports terms and their sports". I'd never heard of either term, but I guessed "catcher's box" as being from baseball (as I imagine many of the surveyed 100 did) by association with the term "catcher's mitt". As for "double dribble", though, I didn't have a clue - if I'd been one of the 100 and had to give an answer, I'd probably have hazarded a guess at football.
Bob De Caux
Enthusiast

Post by Bob De Caux »

Craig Beevers wrote:Hmm catcher's box less obscure than double dribble. Not sure about that. If you took the survey in America perhaps as it's called travelling over there.
Travelling isn't the same thing - that's when you change your pivot foot after you've stopped without bouncing the ball. A double dribble is dribbling, holding the ball clearly with two hands, then dribbling again. Travelling is certainly much more common in the NBA though.

I think the word "catcher" on its own would be enough to suggest baseball as the most likely answer, but I have to agree that I thought double dribble would score more points.
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

When are you on, James?

Series 4 is going on until 26 August apparently. (my birthday :-D )
The forum's resident JAILBAKER, who has SPONDERED several times...
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

I still haven't been told officially yet, Rhys. I actually originally thought that Series 4 was finishing last week, until I found out that it was 60, no 50 episodes, as I thought.

Since Series 5 is starting immediately after, and I do know I'm show 34, I'm provisionally saying October 13, but I'll make it official on here and on Facebook, asap.
Craig Beevers
Series 57 Champion

Post by Craig Beevers »

Yay a word round first up, words ending in -OWER.

And yes for some reason MIAOWER* was a pointless answer that was in their dictionary.
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

Craig Beevers wrote:Yay a word round first up, words ending in -OWER.

And yes for some reason MIAOWER* was a pointless answer that was in their dictionary.
I got pointlesses all over the place today. Sunflower and Overpower in round one and Gomez and M People in the final.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Memorable former Countdowner Troy Ramsey-Axelsson and his husband are contestants on today's show. Troy was at the same Series 3 audition as Sue and me, though with a female friend as partner.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

I really wanted to know if they have wheelbarrow races in the Gay Olympics! :lol:
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Marc Meakin wrote:I really wanted to know if they have wheelbarrow races in the Gay Olympics!
It could be mentioned today,....... you never know.

Last episode of Series 4 today. Series 5 starts on Monday. :D
Craig Beevers
Series 57 Champion

Post by Craig Beevers »

Roddy Doyle? Who?
Martin Bishop
Enthusiast

Post by Martin Bishop »

I'm guessing that for today's final question, they only asked people in the North.

There certainly can't have been any Arsenal fans in the poll.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Craig Beevers wrote:Roddy Doyle? Who?
A famous novelist. Wikipedia doubtless has further information.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Craig Beevers wrote:Roddy Doyle? Who?
Probably explains why only 12 people knew his most popular book. :lol: