Perfection

For all TV game shows, past, present and future, apart from the main event.

Moderators: JackHurst, Lesley Hines

Karen Pearson
Devotee

Perfection

Post by Karen Pearson »

Anyone see this news article about 12 Yard having to reshoot 26 out of 30 episodes of their new quiz Perfection due to contestants potentially being able to see the answers on a monitor!

http://uk.tv.yahoo.com/news-extra/artic ... eshot.html

If they really could see the answers, I can't believe that no one told the production team!

On series 1 of Who Dares Wins, the sound isolation system on one of the pods failed and the other contestants could hear what they were saying. They immediately attracted Nick Knowles attention to let him know. They then had a new question and every time after that, Nick checked that the sound isolation was working. I find it difficult to believe that, over 26 shows, no one pointed it out (which leads me to wonder if the possibility of cheating was more theoretical than actual). Maybe my faith in human nature and decency is misplaced but I find the world a nicer place if you have faith in your fellow beings!

P.S. Serves them right for not even giving me an audition - not that I'm bitter ;)
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Re: Perfection

Post by James Robinson »

Karen Pearson wrote:P.S. Serves them right for not even giving me an audition - not that I'm bitter ;)
Or me either. :(

Interesting that Nick Knowles hosts Perfection as well as that show mentioned above.
Karen Pearson
Devotee

Post by Karen Pearson »

James Robinson wrote:Interesting that Nick Knowles hosts Perfection as well as that show mentioned above.
And also another new show coming up called Secret Fortune (which I didn't get an audition for either!).
Martin Bishop
Enthusiast

Post by Martin Bishop »

While we're on the topic of Nick Knowles quiz show vehicles, Who Dares Wins is currently the show I would most like to have a crack at. Any ideas on how/when one would go about applying for it?
Karen Pearson
Devotee

Post by Karen Pearson »

Martin Bishop wrote:While we're on the topic of Nick Knowles quiz show vehicles, Who Dares Wins is currently the show I would most like to have a crack at. Any ideas on how/when one would go about applying for it?

Me too Martin but I'm not sure it's coming back. Both Perfection and Who Dares Wins are 12 Yard productions and I can't see them having the same person hosting two of their formats.

But I regularly check the 12 Yard site to see if they have a contestant application form on the WDW page. Just google 12 Yard and they'll be the top link (well, once their website returns - it's been down since this debacle) and click on programmes and it takes you to a list. You'll see on the In It To Win It page that there's a contestant application link. They've had the same in the past for WDW but not at the moment.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

James Robinson wrote:
Karen Pearson wrote:P.S. Serves them right for not even giving me an audition - not that I'm bitter ;)
Correction, have an audition on Wednesday. If successful, will be recording in 4 weeks' time. ;) :) :D :mrgreen: 8-)
Karen Pearson
Devotee

Post by Karen Pearson »

For Perfection James? Really? Strange. I understood from the press reports that they had recorded the whole series and then were recalling all the same contestants to do it again when they screwed up. Wonder if they've had to re-do it all from scratch.

Where is your audition?

I shall now be optimistic for about a week hoping to get an audition, before I turn into a bitter old hag again!
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Karen Pearson wrote:For Perfection James? Really? Strange. I understood from the press reports that they had recorded the whole series and then were recalling all the same contestants to do it again when they screwed up. Wonder if they've had to re-do it all from scratch.

Where is your audition?

I shall now be optimistic for about a week hoping to get an audition, before I turn into a bitter old hag again!
My audition is in Manchester, Karen.

I was wondering the same thing too, because I saw that report in the press, and after sending in my audition originally, it said something on the lines of "if you receive nothing from us by July 2nd, then you've not been successful", so when I got the call yesterday afternoon, I was well shocked. :shock: :o
James Doohan
Enthusiast

Post by James Doohan »

James Robinson wrote:
James Robinson wrote:
Correction, have an audition on Wednesday. If successful, will be recording in 4 weeks' time. ;) :) :D :mrgreen: 8-)
Good luck in the audition :D :lol: :P :) ;) :!: :!:
Karen Pearson
Devotee

Post by Karen Pearson »

Good luck James. Let us know how you get on.
Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

Good luck James.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Good luck James.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Good luck James.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Good luck James.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Good luck James

(come on, two likes)
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

This is the most shameless like-whoring I've ever seen.

Speaking of which, who likes this?

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Good luck James.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Good luck James.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Good luck James. I think you're wonderful.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Well, I've had my audition. I think I did pretty well. Will know in the next 2 weeks if I've made it, but there were about a dozen other people there, so fingers crossed. ;) :) :D :mrgreen: 8-)
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

James Robinson wrote:Well, I've had my audition. I think I did pretty well. Will know in the next 2 weeks if I've made it, but there were about a dozen other people there, so fingers crossed. ;) :) :D :mrgreen: 8-)
Well done James, I really hope you get on the show. Fingers crossed!

:mrgreen:
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

I hope you crash and burn in the most humiliating way possible :)
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Yes really hope to see you on the screen as I never saw you on Countdown although have watched some youtube clips! Well done in the audition, hope you've done enough!
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Good luck James!
Lesley Hines
Kiloposter

Post by Lesley Hines »

Ryan Taylor wrote:Yes really hope to see you on the screen as I never saw you on Countdown although have watched some youtube clips! Well done in the audition, hope you've done enough!
If you hadn't totally wimped out of Co:Lon like a big ginger girl's blouse you'd've met him then ;)
Best of luck James :)
Lowering the averages since 2009
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

JAMES! You forgot to like my jokey good luck message!

Like this one too while you're at it. Cheers.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Dinos Sfyris wrote:JAMES! You forgot to like my jokey good luck message!

You fucking whore. You have to be subtle. Like pretending your sky plus was broken.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Ryan Taylor wrote:
Dinos Sfyris wrote:JAMES! You forgot to like my jokey good luck message!

You fucking whore. You have to be subtle. Like pretending your sky plus was broken.
That's not subtle, this is subtle:
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Good luck James :!:
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

James Robinson wrote:Well, I've had my audition. I think I did pretty well. Will know in the next 2 weeks if I've made it, but there were about a dozen other people there, so fingers crossed. ;) :) :D :mrgreen: 8-)
Well, it seems that I have failed again. :(

Unless they're being deliberately mean and telling me as late as possible, the recording is this Wednesday & Thursday, and since I've heard nothing, I'm left to assume that I missed the cut. :(

I'll have to try something else I suppose.

Any suggestions :?:
Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

James Robinson wrote:
Well, it seems that I have failed again. :(

Unless they're being deliberately mean and telling me as late as possible, the recording is this Wednesday & Thursday, and since I've heard nothing, I'm left to assume that I missed the cut. :(

I'll have to try something else I suppose.

Any suggestions :?:
They clearly do not know of your recapping prowess.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Aww, that's a shame James. Was looking forward to seeing you on there. What are you about, trying to win money or just getting TV time?
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Bad luck, James.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Matt Morrison wrote:Aww, that's a shame James. Was looking forward to seeing you on there. What are you about, trying to win money or just getting TV time?
Both really. Although I certainly wouldn't do anything as mad as Total Wipeout for example.

Any quiz show would do.

Might try and apply for The Weakest Link again. Last time I applied, I didn't even get an audition :!:
James Doohan
Enthusiast

Post by James Doohan »

James Robinson wrote: Might try and apply for The Weakest Link again. Last time I applied, I didn't even get an audition :!:
Did you get any feedback from them? I applied online and have heard zilch, but would apply again as I reckon i'd have a good chance of winning
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

James Doohan wrote:
James Robinson wrote: Might try and apply for The Weakest Link again. Last time I applied, I didn't even get an audition :!:
Did you get any feedback from them? I applied online and have heard zilch, but would apply again as I reckon i'd have a good chance of winning
I don't think I've ever got feedback from gameshow auditions (indeed, they usually tell you explicitly not to bother asking them for it). That said, I've only auditioned for, like, 3 shows, so my experience is pretty limited.
James Doohan
Enthusiast

Post by James Doohan »

Michael Wallace wrote: I don't think I've ever got feedback from gameshow auditions (indeed, they usually tell you explicitly not to bother asking them for it). That said, I've only auditioned for, like, 3 shows, so my experience is pretty limited.
I didn't actually mean the audition, I mean't the initial application, not even a thanks for applying but fuck off you cunt response :(
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

James Doohan wrote:
No, no feedback at all.

But, probably will try again now.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

I applied for Weakest Link and like 10 months later got the invite to audition. It takes a while. What do you think you did wrong, James? Why were you so optimistic about the audition and then realised you didn't make the cut? What can you do differently next time? Tell us, tell us....
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Kirk Bevins wrote:What do you think you did wrong, James? Why were you so optimistic about the audition and then realised you didn't make the cut?
Well, compared to other one, such as A Question Of Genius, which I wasn't too surprised I'd failed, I thought I did well enough in the questions and passed myself off as a very interactive person, but it seems to me that too many shows are bringing in "sub-standard players", like on Pointless, for example, another which I was so certain I'd passed.

Clearly more and more TV execs are looking for that "non-intelligent" side nowadays.

That's what I think anyway.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

James Robinson wrote:it seems to me that too many shows are bringing in "sub-standard players", like on Pointless, for example, another which I was so certain I'd passed.

Clearly more and more TV execs are looking for that "non-intelligent" side nowadays.
Charming! :o :o :o
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

James Robinson wrote:Clearly more and more TV execs are looking for that "non-intelligent" side nowadays.
Certainly don't let on that you've been practising :?
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Post by Howard Somerset »

Bad luck, James.

All the best in what you try for next.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

James Robinson wrote:and passed myself off as a very interactive person,
How? What did you do to do this? Did you have an interesting story to tell? Were you friendly to the other people?
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Jon Corby wrote:
James Robinson wrote:Clearly more and more TV execs are looking for that "non-intelligent" side nowadays.
Certainly don't let on that you've been practising :?
Other one was better.
Chris Corby
Devotee

Post by Chris Corby »

Gutted for you James. Went out and bought a widescreen telly especially to see it....... :evil:
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Seriously though, programmes like Pointless would be much less entertaining if every contestant was shit hot at the game. Also, most game shows these days involve the contestants a lot more than merely asking them questions, so you can't really blame them for caring more about people who do good banter than people who are super smart. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if very little weight is placed on how auditionees do on the general knowledge tests (or whatever they make you do). I'd suspect that they're mostly used to make sure they don't have someone on a show who will get, like, no questions right at all.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Kirk Bevins wrote:
James Robinson wrote:and passed myself off as a very interactive person,
How? What did you do to do this? Did you have an interesting story to tell? Were you friendly to the other people?
I thought I got on well with everyone in the room. Compared to some other auditions in the past where I wasn't quite sure if I fitted in with everyone, a bit too distant, in other words.

I thought I showed a very wide range of knowledge in the True/False section, which I'd have thought was the main thing to get in, because that's what the show is about, answering True/False questions and giving as much information as possible, which was what was asked.

Presumably the rest of me just sounded too boring. :( Although I can't help it is my life is a bit boring compared to others.
Karen Pearson
Devotee

Post by Karen Pearson »

James, my experience of 12 Yard is that they have very little interest in how good you are at the game but much more interest in you being able to squeal excitedly etc.

Don't take it personally and just keep applying - you'll get on something else eventually.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Perfection starts at 4:30pm on BBC Two today.

Wonder if I missed much :?:
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

James Robinson wrote:Perfection starts at 4:30pm on BBC Two today.

Wonder if I missed much :?:
Managed to watch it yesterday. Wasn't as bad as I thought it might be, actually.

For those of you who haven't seen it, here's how it works:

There are 4 contestants to begin with, they are referred to as "The Usual Suspects". One is then picked at random to play the game for the chance of winning the money, which begins at £1,000, and each time a contestant fails, it goes up by another £1,000. The other 3 stay where they are and are only seen via a big TV screen.

The game has 3 identical rounds, then the final. And it's done twice a show, so plenty of stuff to get in. 8-)

The first round has the contestant chosen given 4 true or false questions. They have 45 seconds to answer them all in order. Once they say "true" or "false", they have to stick with it. They're then shown how many questions they got right. If they got all 4, or as Nick Knowles (the host) says "achieved PERFECTION", then he/she wins the round. If they get any wrong, it's thrown over to "T.U.S.", who can then change the answers they think are wrong to the correct position. If they then "achieve PERFECTION", they win the round. If "PERFECTION" is still not achieved, then the round is split.

When you win a round, you choose 2 categories for the final round, which consists of 6 questions. The categories are so diverse and vary completely. Examples from show 1 include, "UK Roads", "2010 Films", "Charities", "Steve McQueen", "Word Origins", etc. So, if you are the 1, then you'll pick 2 categories that you are good at, but if "T.U.S." win, then they'll pick 2 categories they think the 1 is bad at. If it's a tie, both the 1 and the "T.U.S." pick 1 category each, with the 1 picking first.

The process is repeated twice, before we reach the final. In the final, the 1, who now has no time limit, must answer all 6 category questions correctly to win the money. Get any one wrong, and they lose it all. After the 1 has answered all 6 questions, "T.U.S." can say if they think any of the questions are wrong, without mentioning which ones are actually wrong. They then can ask for an amount of money for them, so they can come out and help the 1 win the money, but they can also choose to stay behind, and hope that when they come out, that there is more money available to them. If all 6 are correct, the 1 wins the money.

Then the whole thing is done again, and then the show ends.
Chris Corby
Devotee

Post by Chris Corby »

Sorry James but I think you are better off out of it.

The show is a boring (for the viewer) crock of shit. It's dull, flat and lifeless. All questions with just a TRUE or FALSE answer does not make for good television. I could write pages on what is wrong with it. THE CHASE and POINTLESS are brilliant by comparison.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Chris Corby wrote:Sorry James but I think you are better off out of it.

The show is a boring (for the viewer) crock of shit. It's dull, flat and lifeless. All questions with just a TRUE or FALSE answer does not make for good television. I could write pages on what is wrong with it.
Totally agreed. I think the fact the start of the show opens with an example of what a true or false question is says a lot about it.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

The show is a boring (for the viewer) crock of shit. It's dull, flat and lifeless. All questions with just a TRUE or FALSE answer does not make for good television. I could write pages on what is wrong with it. THE CHASE and POINTLESS are brilliant by comparison.
It is certainly true that it is certainly not PERFECTION. I certainly don't regard it as the best show around, not by a long way. In terms of problems with the show, it's probably on the level with A Question of Genius.

And certainly Pointless is miles better, and even though I don't watch The Chase too often, I do find it quite interesting, and I have actually recently applied for it, on the suggestion of another member of this site. ;)

What I'd quite like to know is how many jobs does Nick Knowles have at the moment :?: He seems to be hosting shows left, right and centre, at the moment.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

James Robinson wrote:

It is certainly true that it is certainly not PERFECTION. I certainly don't regard it as the best show around, not by a long way. In terms of problems with the show, it's probably on the level with A Question of Genius.
Interesting you think it's similar to aQoG in terms of problems. IMO pretty much the sole problem with that was the presenter (and maybe the final round was a bit boring, but I don't like the first half of Mastermind either). It was superb question/minute value.
Chris Corby
Devotee

Post by Chris Corby »

James Robinson wrote:
What I'd quite like to know is how many jobs does Nick Knowles have at the moment :?: He seems to be hosting shows left, right and centre, at the moment.
Some of us can remember when he used to do the local traffic news surrounded by a bank of monitors for Meridian North (based in Reading) covering the Thames Valley area. So he has made a bit of progress..... (or perhaps not)
Karen Pearson
Devotee

Post by Karen Pearson »

I have an audition for Perfection next week so I was wondering if anyone else has auditioned for it and, if so, what format the audition takes. All help gratefully accepted! Many thanks.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Karen Pearson wrote:I have an audition for Perfection next week so I was wondering if anyone else has auditioned for it and, if so, what format the audition takes. All help gratefully accepted! Many thanks.
I have obviously, and gonna send off another application form for the new series next week.

When I did it last time, all of the auditionees were in a lounge area, where we did a 20 question quiz of varying questions and had 10 minutes to do it.

After that, we all went to a conference room where we were explained the rules of the game, then we went back to the lounge area, then we were all called back one at a time to do a little chat with the people, then did 6 Perfection questions, so true/falses, and were told to explain why they were true/false.

After that, you could go.

Hope that helps, Karen. ;) :) :D
Karen Pearson
Devotee

Post by Karen Pearson »

That's great stuff. Thanks James. :)
Stewart Scott
Rookie

Post by Stewart Scott »

Hi folks,

Just posting here to say that I will be on the upcoming series of Perfection starting on the 2nd January 2012 - I am on about halfway througb the run (I don't have an actual date but I think it might be the 20th January).

EDIT: It's confirmed for the 20th January
Last edited by Stewart Scott on Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.