A Question of Genius Series 2

For all TV game shows, past, present and future, apart from the main event.

Moderators: JackHurst, Lesley Hines

Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

A Question of Genius Series 2

Post by Michael Wallace »

This was mentioned in another thread with various countdowners being on it, but I thought I'd start a topic for it in case anyone else is watching it.

First up, in round 1 is there any penalty for buzzing in incorrectly? It seems like a pretty big loophole when they're asking a bonus question - if you know you won't know it just buzz in early and say banana. There's been at least one occasion where Kirsty has said "all three on the buzzers" right after someone buzzed in incorrectly, which makes me think I haven't just missed them mentioning a freeze-out thing.

Also, Kirsty Wark appears to be if anything worse than she was last series. It's funny in places, but pretty uncomfortable viewing in others.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Re: A Question of Genius Series 2

Post by Ryan Taylor »

I've got Monday's and Tuesday's episodes to catch up on but I have watched all the other ones this series. I think that when someone buzzes in and answers wrongly nobody else gets to answer and so yeah you're right that's a big loophole, although I've never noticed this. So if there is a 3 pointer on football and you literally know nothing about football you could buzz in wrongly and stop someone else getting the 3 points. Maybe we are missing something?

Regards Kirsty Wark being a quiz show presenter. I think she's bloody awful. I hate her tone, her lack of knowledge and I hate the way she says everything out in full. For example if someone has 4 points and needs 5, she then feels the need to comment that "'Steve', you're 1 point away from 5, get this and you're through to the next round". We (the viewer) can clearly fucking see that 'Steve' has 4 points and we are bloody well aware that he will go through if he gets it, only a moron would not see this, we do not need a constant reminder. OK if it is once or twice to the casual viewer who dips in and out of the show which might help them pick up the gameplay, but I'm pretty sure everyone who is watching grasps the rules - it's not difficult. She also says things which are clearly not true. For example 'Steve' is on 3 points and he selects a level 2 question for the chance to get to 5. She will then say "You need this one Steve to go through" as if this is his last chance or something. She really does irritate me. I never watch the end game either, nobody gives a toss about the last question as it is stupidly difficult so much so that the only person who has the faintest clue is the person who is being asked it (and they sometimes need 4 options to choose from) and even if they do know she will repeat the question, and then maybe repeat it some more then ask what they are thinking (contestants are no doubt told to play along even if they do know it and give us some background info) then she repeats the quesiton again. I watch the rounds up to the final but because the only one who cares for that is the person going for the moneys!

Besides these factors I am glad it is back, the questions are decent in it, the amount of questions on it is brilliant, the range of questions is also great and the contestants are all very capable apart from maybe the odd one who doesn't get a sniff in the first round. When I watched Rob last week as soon as I saw his face I thought he would do well as I saw his performances on AYAE and on Only Connect, and he is a great young quizzer. His performances were brilliant on AQOG not only did he win but he was pretty much first through in every round and he was so modest about it all. Well played Sir!

Review: Best watched muted with subtitles.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Haha, awesome summary. Agree on pretty much every point I think. Her repetition of stuff does get pretty tiresome after a while - on one show last week she spelt out along the lines of "well Steve you were on 1 point and you got that level 1 question right which gives you 1 point and puts you on 2 points!".

In a way I'm kinda surprised they brought her back for a second series - I haven't come across anyone who hasn't said she's awful. I guess having a famous face helps a lot, even if they can't actually host a quiz properly.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Yeah, those points are definitely well put there, Ryan.

I was hoping that when they gave this another series, that they might've considered switching presenters, because Kirsty Wark is nowhere near a good quiz show host. Although, I can't think of someone of the top of my head who would be a suitable replacement.

Although, the bit that Michael mentioned about people not being allowed to buzz in after someone has asked the question. I've noticed at times that on some questions, another person was allowed to buzz in and give an answer, so it's a bit inconsistent.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

James Robinson wrote:Although, the bit that Michael mentioned about people not being allowed to buzz in after someone has asked the question. I've noticed at times that on some questions, another person was allowed to buzz in and give an answer, so it's a bit inconsistent.
Oh good, I'm glad it wasn't me imagining things on this front. I thought I remembered it happening in one of the first episodes this series, so maybe that's something they 'fixed' after only a couple of episodes. Still seems broken though, especially when being frozen out of the next started would be such a simple fix.
Chris Corby
Devotee

Post by Chris Corby »

Ryan Taylor wrote:
Regards Kirsty Wark being a quiz show presenter. I think she's bloody awful.
Review: Best watched muted with subtitles.
Quite agree. She ruins Newsnight as well when she presents it.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Michael Wallace wrote:
James Robinson wrote:Although, the bit that Michael mentioned about people not being allowed to buzz in after someone has asked the question. I've noticed at times that on some questions, another person was allowed to buzz in and give an answer, so it's a bit inconsistent.
Oh good, I'm glad it wasn't me imagining things on this front. I thought I remembered it happening in one of the first episodes this series, so maybe that's something they 'fixed' after only a couple of episodes. Still seems broken though, especially when being frozen out of the next started would be such a simple fix.
I wonder if you can have one person allowed to buzz in after someone has had a go, but to try and condense it into a 45 minute show, they just cut out as much as they can, like rubbish wrong answers.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Oh yeah, did anyone else think the end of Friday's show was utterly retarded? The question about Seinfeld? Seemed like a really stupid question to ask given what happened with the answer.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

James Robinson wrote:
Michael Wallace wrote:
I wonder if you can have one person allowed to buzz in after someone has had a go, but to try and condense it into a 45 minute show, they just cut out as much as they can, like rubbish wrong answers.
When I filmed, there was very little flab in the filming, I was surprised that we got through on only two or three takes.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles