Fort Boyard

For all TV game shows, past, present and future, apart from the main event.

Moderators: JackHurst, Lesley Hines

Peter Clarke
Rookie

Fort Boyard

Post by Peter Clarke »

I've been feeling nostalgic lately and have been watching episodes of Fort Boyard on Youtube lol. This was my favourite TV show in the world during my childhood. I really love Crystal Maze too as mentioned in the Crystal Maze thread ages ago. Obviously, both are similar shows and most people in the UK preferred Crystal Maze. I know I'm in the minority, but I actually prefer Fort Boyard and always have done.

The show originated in France and Crystal Maze originated from Fort Boyard. Back in 1990, Channel 4 were actually going to do Fort Boyard but the fort wasn't ready for them in time. A unaired pilot was made with Richard O'Brien hosting too. The Crystal Maze was an alternative to Fort Boyard, both shows being created by Jacques Antoine.

Melinda Messenger was the main host, Leslie Grantham played Boyard, the mean master of the fort. Geoffrey Bayldon also played the professor in the watch tower. he did the riddles. The remake on Challenge TV with Jodie Penfold, Chris Ellison and Tom Baker was not very good though.

I loved the games in the fort even if the key games were mainly physical and endurance games. The clue games were all about fear. I loved the game where the contestant has to move their head along a conveyer belt through mini-chambers containing frogs, cockroaches, flies etc. The theme tune and some of the other backing music was iconic too, probably the best I've either seen in a gameshow.
Stewart Gordon
Enthusiast

Re: Fort Boyard

Post by Stewart Gordon »

I loved Fort Boyard back in the day. It appeared on Channel 5 during my college days (not long after Channel 5 itself did).

It would be good if it could be brought back with the original cast. The trouble is Leslie Grantham is no longer with us. :(
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Re: Fort Boyard

Post by James Robinson »

Stewart Gordon wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:48 am I loved Fort Boyard back in the day. It appeared on Channel 5 during my college days (not long after Channel 5 itself did).

It would be good if it could be brought back with the original cast. The trouble is Leslie Grantham is no longer with us. :(
Nor Geoffrey Bayldon...