Christmas Crossword

Cerebral distractions of every kind, mostly but not exclusively Countdown-related.

Moderator: Michael Wallace

Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Christmas Crossword

Post by Ryan Taylor »

As well as the Big Fat Quiz I've done a Christmas Crossword.

I think I go with most conventions of cryptic crossword writing although I possibly break one or two rules.

Have a crack at it and send me your solutions.

First correct entry to me will win a prize (probably a pint at COLIN).

Download from here: Christmas Crossword
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Re: Christmas Crossword

Post by Charlie Reams »

For those who like their crosswords non-cryptic, he's a hard but non-cryptic one I made for my family: PDF file.

Ryan, do you want me to host your one so people don't have to mess about with that Mediafire nonsense?
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

I think I've said it before but I want into your family.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

Hurrah (for Ryan's crossword, I haven't looked at Charlie's yet, but it's probably rubbish).
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Charlie Reams wrote:For those who like their crosswords non-cryptic, he's a hard but non-cryptic one I made for my family: PDF file.

Ryan, do you want me to host your one so people don't have to mess about with that Mediafire nonsense?
Will have a look at yours in the New Year. And if you are able to do that for me then yes please do. Mediafire is a pain but the only way I know.
Jayne Wisniewski
Rookie

Post by Jayne Wisniewski »

Thanks for sharing these crosswords -both very enjoyable! I completed Ryan's and am nearly there with Charlie's, just flummoxed by 33 across. Am off to read the dictionary now to try to crack it :)
Jayne Wisniewski
Rookie

Post by Jayne Wisniewski »

Solved it!
Think there might need a slight tweak to the clue.
Thanks Charlie for a very inventive crossword.
Matt Bayfield
Devotee

Post by Matt Bayfield »

Loz and I have gone through Charlie's crossword... thank you for sharing. We agree with Jayne, and think 33 across might be (3, 7) rather than (10).
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Just to update this thread a bit. I had a handful of entries for this all of which were correct so well done to those people. Phil (Reynolds) got back to me first round about half an hour before Michael (Wallace) did. Still not really got around to a prize of sorts but I'll come up with something by the end of the year..

And this was Phil's immaculately neat solution:

Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Ryan Taylor wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote:For those who like their crosswords non-cryptic, he's a hard but non-cryptic one I made for my family: PDF file.

Will have a look at yours in the New Year. And if you are able to do that for me then yes please do. Mediafire is a pain but the only way I know.
Had a look at it now. Great idea and great fun. I latched onto the 8 missing answers fairly quickly which helped me accelerate away and I seemed to get little sections in bursts after that. Although after roughly an hour of staring at it I came to a grinding halt with 5 clues still unresolved. Will be interested to see the solution at some point. Good work old chap.