Cluedo

Cerebral distractions of every kind, mostly but not exclusively Countdown-related.

Moderator: Michael Wallace

Kirk Bevins
God

Cluedo

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Can anyone help solve this? If you go here:
http://www.theactuary.com/archive/2012/02/

Click the download link then the Cluedo puzzle is on page 37.

I've set up a spreadsheet and I've got the weapon but struggling to proceed. Any help appreciated? Also if anybody can cut and paste the puzzle here rather than having to download it that'd be grand (I'm not technologically clever enough for that)

Kirk
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Re: Cluedo

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

Kirk Bevins wrote:Can anyone help solve this? If you go here:
http://www.theactuary.com/archive/2012/02/

Click the download link then the Cluedo puzzle is on page 37.

I've set up a spreadsheet and I've got the weapon but struggling to proceed. Any help appreciated? Also if anybody can cut and paste the puzzle here rather than having to download it that'd be grand (I'm not technologically clever enough for that)

Kirk
I think you need to use the fact that when you make a suggestion, the person to your left gets the opportunity to disprove it first, and if they can't it passes to their left (which tells you that the person to your left didn't have any of the cards you named), and so on. In coming to a solution I've assumed that the turn passes to the left, so for example if the Actuary suggests something, the Banker gets the opportunity to disprove it first, then the Cleric, etc.

My attempt at explaining the solution. Spoiler if it's correct, obviously.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Graeme Cole wrote:My attempt at explaining the solution. Spoiler if it's correct, obviously.
Fucking hell Graeme, that's all just plain text in a fixed-pitch font. Put some colour or variation in there, pictures and stuff. Make a bit of an effort, yeah?
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Awesome. I've said it before but I'm genuinely always in awe of the stuff that is done on this forum. Like the work on Kirk's ditloids and Graeme's solve here. And the combined teamwork on Jim's puzzle which was cracked by Feisty. I love it! Srsly.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

That is awesome, Graeme. I had the weapon but not the rest and I used a spreadsheet with "yes", "no" and "maybe" rather than logical sentences like yourself. That's some pretty impressive solving mate. I trust your answer without working through everything step by step.
Karen Pearson
Devotee

Post by Karen Pearson »

Nice solution Graeme.

Kirk, you must submit an entry. Competitions in niche magazines like this get very few entries. I belong to a sub-group of the Market Research Society (the Business Intelligence Group) and we used to have our own quarterly crytpic competition (often one that rolled forward if no one got the right answer). I managed to win three weekends away over the course of 3 years (Brussels, Bruge and Dublin). Because of the rolling forward thing, only one other person won in that time. They've now stopped that particular competition!!! Can't imagine why!
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Karen Pearson wrote:Nice solution Graeme.

Kirk, you must submit an entry. Competitions in niche magazines like this get very few entries. I belong to a sub-group of the Market Research Society (the Business Intelligence Group) and we used to have our own quarterly crytpic competition (often one that rolled forward if no one got the right answer). I managed to win three weekends away over the course of 3 years (Brussels, Bruge and Dublin). Because of the rolling forward thing, only one other person won in that time. They've now stopped that particular competition!!! Can't imagine why!
Ha, thanks Karen. I always enter competitions and I've won many things in my time. I'm only doing this for the chance of a prize!
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Kirk Bevins wrote:Ha, thanks Karen. I always enter competitions and I've won many things in my time. I'm only doing this for the chance of a prize!
I hope you'll share it with Graeme if you win.