Ryan's Big Fat Quiz of the Year

Cerebral distractions of every kind, mostly but not exclusively Countdown-related.

Moderator: Michael Wallace

Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Ryan's Big Fat Quiz of the Year

Post by Ryan Taylor »

THESE ARE THE INSTRUCTIONS FOR 2011's BIG FAT QUIZ, SCROLL DOWN TO THE BOTTOM OF THIS TOPIC FOR 2012's QUIZ INFO.
Channel 4 have done theirs so here is a very substandard one that doesn't have a huge budget to waste on people like Cee Lo Green and Lee Evans to read questions.

In the folder that you download there is:
  • - the actual powerpoint quiz
    - an answer sheet (probably won't need)
    - all the music files
Ideally you would be able to download it and the music all play but I don't know how to do this so instead you can either a) not bother with the music and just skip the questions that need audio or b) insert the audio into the powerpoint yourself by following the instructions below.

Instructions for if you want audio
For EVERY SINGLE sound clip do the following:
1) Insert>Sound>From File (then add the one you need)
2) Once it's added it will ask to play automatically (yes you want it to play automatically)
3) Click on the little speaker icon that appears and go to the options of it.
4) In the options there should be a "Hide during show" option. Click that.
5) Also in Options, there should be an option to "Play sound across slides". Click that.
6) Click the custom animation tab and it should bring up a toolbar down the right hand side?
7) On this toolbar MAKE SURE that the animation bit for the music file is put to the top of the running order (so that means the music will start first above everything else)

This is where each music file should be inserted:
1) Title Page (Slide 1)
2) January (Slide 2)
3) February (Slide 6)
4) Bi-winning (Slide 9)
5) March (Slide 10)
6) April (Slide 14)
7) May (Slide 18)
8) Boris Johnson (Slide 22)
9) June (Slide 23)
10) July (Slide 26)
11) August (Slide 34)
12) September (Slide 38)
13) Acquitted (Slide 42)
14) October (Slide 43)
15) November (Slide 46)
16) December (Slide 50)

And finally 17) Magic by Pilot on Slide 55 and set it to loop.

Download it all here. Once you click past the title page (Slide 1) it will all run on its own timings so you won't have to click anything. And if you put the music in you'll find that matches up with all the timings too. Hope it sort of works.
Last edited by Ryan Taylor on Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:24 am, edited 3 times in total.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Re: Ryan's Big Fat Quiz of the Year 2011

Post by Matt Morrison »

Just downloading now, but to be honest the re-inserting of all the sound files sounds like a hassle too far, which is a real shame.

Not to be patronising, but did you Google the issue much? Something like
choose ‘Publish’ under the Office logo and then ‘package for CD’ then ‘copy to folder’ go to options and choose ‘Archive Package’ include ‘Linked Files’ click ‘OK’, then “copy to Folder”
might be useful?
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Ok, no worries. You've actually done it all correctly anyway you nonce, you embedded the files rather than link them so it all works fine (the PPT is 22 megs almost).
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Nice one Ryan cheers - kind of wish I'd known the answers were in the presentation itself BEFORE I'd typed every single one into a C4C post as we went along!
Ah well. Didn't tot up but got about 90-95%, perfect level of questions for the quiz really to make it Channel 4 style.
Thanks for doing it! (urgh.)
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

I didn't actually bother Google searching because, well, I don't really know why. But I did sort of think with my limited PC skillz that zipping them all in one place would keep the music in tact but when I tested it by downloading it on to my other laptop it didn't work.

So are you saying the music works in the powerpoint? If so, that's excellent!
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Matt Morrison wrote:Nice one Ryan cheers - kind of wish I'd known the answers were in the presentation itself BEFORE I'd typed every single one into a C4C post as we went along!
Ah well. Didn't tot up but got about 90-95%, perfect level of questions for the quiz really to make it Channel 4 style.
Thanks for doing it! (urgh.)
Yay, glad you enjoyed it!

Yeah we did it with the family at Christmas (2 teams of 3) and the scores were 27 and 33 out of 48. But if you kept a bit of an eye on the news the questions are all very gettable unlike some of the questions on BFQOTY last night. (At least a couple were a bit hard).
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Ryan Taylor wrote:But I did sort of think with my limited PC skillz that zipping them all in one place would keep the music in tact but when I tested it by downloading it on to my other laptop it didn't work.
Did you perhaps attempt to run it by double clicking on the PPT file in the zip contents? This will unzip that file and open it, but because the other files in the archive haven't been unzipped, it won't find them. You need to unzip the whole folder first, then open the PPT file and it'll find everything OK.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Phil Reynolds wrote:
Ryan Taylor wrote:But I did sort of think with my limited PC skillz that zipping them all in one place would keep the music in tact but when I tested it by downloading it on to my other laptop it didn't work.
Did you perhaps attempt to run it by double clicking on the PPT file in the zip contents? This will unzip that file and open it, but because the other files in the archive haven't been unzipped, it won't find them. You need to unzip the whole folder first, then open the PPT file and it'll find everything OK.
Ah right yep that's what I did and all I got was the slide and no music! I'm a computer retard!
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Following on from last year's freebie, I'm now selling my Big Fat Quiz of the Year 2012 for a small fee of £10. It is packed with music, events, films and sporting achievements of the year presented in a style whereby the questions are asked in a unique way and in a fun style. It has 5 questions for every month plus 4 extra bonus rounds consisting of 3-5 questions in each which eventually totals up to 85 points. It runs entirely on it's own with everything set up timing wise and all that is needed is for you to download the file (which is split into 4 due to the size of it).

Approximate run time is 1 hour and early feedback is positive for it. If you are wanting an extremely entertaining and funny quiz to take up a decent chunk of time on a festive occasion then either PM me to find out any more you want to know or send payment of £10 to my Paypal: ryantaylor996@hotmail.com. Thanks! :)
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Re: Ryan's Big Fat Quiz of the Year

Post by Michael Wallace »

Can report that this is very good and well worth the money (if only for Ryan's spectacular pieces to camera).
Jayne Wisniewski
Rookie

Post by Jayne Wisniewski »

The Wisniewski family enjoyed this quiz as part of our Xmas day festivities - 3 teams of 4 players all achieved a similar score. Good balance of questions and well presented - would recommend it!
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

I'm waiting until the January sales.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Michael Wallace wrote:Can report that this is very good and well worth the money (if only for Ryan's spectacular pieces to camera).
Seconded.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

For those who like their Big Fat Quizzes of the Year non-cryptic, contact Charlie Reams for a hard but non-cryptic one he made for his family.