Scrabble consensus game - Move 10

Cerebral distractions of every kind, mostly but not exclusively Countdown-related.

Moderator: Michael Wallace

Post Reply
User avatar
Charlie Reams
Site Admin
Posts: 9447
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:33 pm
Location: Cambridge
Contact:

Scrabble consensus game - Move 10

Post by Charlie Reams » Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:59 pm

A split vote between K2 and M2 TUMBRIL, so I granted myself casting vote and C4C played K2 TUMBRIL for 22. Infuriatingly, Quackle replied with DENTINES for 72 just as we draw the second blank, which more or less buries the game, but we've still got pride to play for. Here's the situation.

Image

User avatar
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 10103
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:38 pm
Location: Mirfield, West Yorkshire

Re: Scrabble consensus game - Move 10

Post by James Robinson » Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:58 pm

I'm not fully up on Scrabble, so they're probably both rubbish, but I did have 2 ideas.

Either ESCORT vO1 or CAROTID hD15.
CO:WY 2020 CANCELLED :cry: :cry: :cry:

Jimmy Gough
Devotee
Posts: 876
Joined: Thu May 22, 2008 4:08 pm
Location: Eastbourne

Re: Scrabble consensus game - Move 10

Post by Jimmy Gough » Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:36 pm

Quackle is such a geek.

Oliver Garner
Series 62 Champion
Posts: 769
Joined: Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:13 pm

Re: Scrabble consensus game - Move 10

Post by Oliver Garner » Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:04 pm

6f across COG for 16 leaves TRD? with a fair amount of a vowels left in the bag.

Andrew Feist
Enthusiast
Posts: 462
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:43 pm

Re: Scrabble consensus game - Move 10

Post by Andrew Feist » Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:04 pm

There's DECOR across at E1 for 32.

David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion
Posts: 2010
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:27 pm
Location: Cardiff

Re: Scrabble consensus game - Move 10

Post by David O'Donnell » Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:45 pm

I'm crap at Scrabble but we want to keep the blank right?

Andrew Feist
Enthusiast
Posts: 462
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:43 pm

Re: Scrabble consensus game - Move 10

Post by Andrew Feist » Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:12 pm

David O'Donnell wrote:I'm crap at Scrabble but we want to keep the blank right?
Well, there's three tiles left in the bag, if I'm reading the right side correctly, so we've got around one turn left after this one. So I'm not sure as to the advantage of keeping the blank.

(Edit: So you could take my DECOR (as an example) and just play COR (I think that's in) for 26 and keep the blank.)

User avatar
Ian Volante
Postmaster General
Posts: 3563
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:15 pm
Location: Edinburgh
Contact:

Re: Scrabble consensus game - Move 10

Post by Ian Volante » Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:45 pm

CODGER D1a. Blank goes, but then it's too late to worry I reckon.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles

Oliver Garner
Series 62 Champion
Posts: 769
Joined: Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:13 pm

Re: Scrabble consensus game - Move 10

Post by Oliver Garner » Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:26 pm

Andrew Feist wrote: Well, there's three tiles left in the bag, if I'm reading the right side correctly, so we've got around one turn left after this one. So I'm not sure as to the advantage of keeping the blank.

(Edit: So you could take my DECOR (as an example) and just play COR (I think that's in) for 26 and keep the blank.)
Along the COR lines, I'd take GOR same place for three less and C is easier to play a bonus with than a G. Either that or COG which I suggested earlier for 16, 7 less. The game's already lost but we might as well give ourselves the chance of bingoing out.

David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion
Posts: 2010
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:27 pm
Location: Cardiff

Re: Scrabble consensus game - Move 10

Post by David O'Donnell » Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:31 pm

Oliver Garner wrote:
Andrew Feist wrote: Well, there's three tiles left in the bag, if I'm reading the right side correctly, so we've got around one turn left after this one. So I'm not sure as to the advantage of keeping the blank.

(Edit: So you could take my DECOR (as an example) and just play COR (I think that's in) for 26 and keep the blank.)
Along the COR lines, I'd take GOR same place for three less and C is easier to play a bonus with than a G. Either that or COG which I suggested earlier for 16, 7 less. The game's already lost but we might as well give ourselves the chance of bingoing out.
FWIW I agree.

User avatar
Alec Rivers
Devotee
Posts: 918
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:36 pm
Location: Studio 57, Cheriton (Kent)
Contact:

Re: Scrabble consensus game - Move 10

Post by Alec Rivers » Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:33 pm

If it's just points you're after, CODGER at D1a scores 44.

David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion
Posts: 2010
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:27 pm
Location: Cardiff

Re: Scrabble consensus game - Move 10

Post by David O'Donnell » Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:49 pm

Alec Rivers wrote:If it's just points you're after, CODGER at D1a scores 44.
Perhaps you should try reading the thread.

User avatar
Alec Rivers
Devotee
Posts: 918
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:36 pm
Location: Studio 57, Cheriton (Kent)
Contact:

Re: Scrabble consensus game - Move 10

Post by Alec Rivers » Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:06 pm

David O'Donnell wrote:
Alec Rivers wrote:If it's just points you're after, CODGER at D1a scores 44.
Perhaps you should try reading the thread.
I did, thank you. And I distinctly remember a very recent comment regarding playing for pride now that the game is lost. In my opinion, that means closing the gap as far as possible to minimize the margin of defeat. Got any better ideas?

David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion
Posts: 2010
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:27 pm
Location: Cardiff

Re: Scrabble consensus game - Move 10

Post by David O'Donnell » Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:17 am

Alec Rivers wrote:
David O'Donnell wrote:
Alec Rivers wrote:If it's just points you're after, CODGER at D1a scores 44.
Perhaps you should try reading the thread.
I did, thank you. And I distinctly remember a very recent comment regarding playing for pride now that the game is lost. In my opinion, that means closing the gap as far as possible to minimize the margin of defeat. Got any better ideas?
Bullshit: don't try and shit a shitter!

If you had read the thread you would have termed it: "Ian makes a good point; I think we should make that play... blah blah blah"

I do have a better idea: trying to bingo it out - but then you've already read the thread so you know that.

User avatar
Alec Rivers
Devotee
Posts: 918
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:36 pm
Location: Studio 57, Cheriton (Kent)
Contact:

Re: Scrabble consensus game - Move 10

Post by Alec Rivers » Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:48 am

David O'Donnell wrote:Bullshit: don't try and shit a shitter!
OK, firstly, I don't understand why you needed to attack me with a sarcastic comment in response to my initial post. All I did was throw a word into the mix which may or may not get considered – I'm not fussed either way.

Secondly, I genuinely felt it was all about the score rather than any tactics, as that is all there is left to play for at this stage. Just because you decide you don't wish to accept that, doesn't suddenly give you the right to start being offensive.

Having said that, at least the discussion is over now because resorting to personal abuse is the quickest way of losing any argument.

User avatar
Charlie Reams
Site Admin
Posts: 9447
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:33 pm
Location: Cambridge
Contact:

Re: Scrabble consensus game - Move 10

Post by Charlie Reams » Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:57 am

No consensus emerging yet so I'll leave it open until 23:59 Monday.

David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion
Posts: 2010
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:27 pm
Location: Cardiff

Re: Scrabble consensus game - Move 10

Post by David O'Donnell » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:38 am

Alec Rivers wrote:
David O'Donnell wrote:Bullshit: don't try and shit a shitter!
OK, firstly, I don't understand why you needed to attack me with a sarcastic comment in response to my initial post. All I did was throw a word into the mix which may or may not get considered – I'm not fussed either way.

Secondly, I genuinely felt it was all about the score rather than any tactics, as that is all there is left to play for at this stage. Just because you decide you don't wish to accept that, doesn't suddenly give you the right to start being offensive.

Having said that, at least the discussion is over now because resorting to personal abuse is the quickest way of losing any argument.
As far as I am concerned your post still is a non sequitur. Hence you didn't realise what had been posted before, trying to obfuscate that fact is only as admirable as the captain who refuses to leave his sinking ship (whilst being responsible for its sinking in the first place).

As for personal abuse, I haven't resorted to that yet: "never shit a shitter" is actually self-deprecating: but then given your propensity to not read the posts to which you have responded I can only assume you didn't read that post either.

User avatar
Alec Rivers
Devotee
Posts: 918
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:36 pm
Location: Studio 57, Cheriton (Kent)
Contact:

Re: Scrabble consensus game - Move 10

Post by Alec Rivers » Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:37 am

Ha-ha. You twist and you turn, ignoring your abusive exclamation "Bullshit". That in itself is offensive. Add that to the first sarcastic response and anyone can see why I was offended. If you can't see that, then you have a problem. Maybe you're just jealous because I came up with a relatively high-scoring word. Who knows.

Write what you like, I shall ignore it. I'm bored of this and I have better things to do with my time. Go and get on someone else's tits.

User avatar
Ben Wilson
Legend
Posts: 4178
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:05 pm
Location: North Hykeham

Re: Scrabble consensus game - Move 10

Post by Ben Wilson » Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:50 am

Alec Rivers wrote:
David O'Donnell wrote:
Alec Rivers wrote:If it's just points you're after, CODGER at D1a scores 44.
Perhaps you should try reading the thread.
I did, thank you. And I distinctly remember a very recent comment regarding playing for pride now that the game is lost. In my opinion, that means closing the gap as far as possible to minimize the margin of defeat. Got any better ideas?
Maximising score by setting ourselves up to potentially bonus out for starters. Blowing the blank for 44 this turn and likely scoring 15-ish next turn- or even worse, not being able to go out- isn't as good as 15 this turn and a potential bonus next turn. If we didn't have the blank then CODGER would've been good- as it is, however, it's sub-optimal.

10 unseen tiles so the obvious play would be to drop two tiles to avoid the possibility of Quackle bonusing out himself. Will have another think about this.

User avatar
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 7625
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:27 pm
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Scrabble consensus game - Move 10

Post by Matt Morrison » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:30 am

Without getting involved in Alec vs. DoD, someone really ought to show Alec what DoD means about not reading the thread:
Ian Volante wrote:CODGER D1a. Blank goes, but then it's too late to worry I reckon.
Alec Rivers wrote:If it's just points you're after, CODGER at D1a scores 44.
It was about three posts up from your suggestion Alec. Hope that makes more sense now.

David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion
Posts: 2010
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:27 pm
Location: Cardiff

Re: Scrabble consensus game - Move 10

Post by David O'Donnell » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:46 am

Matt Morrison wrote:Without getting involved in Alec vs. DoD, someone really ought to show Alec what DoD means about not reading the thread:
Ian Volante wrote:CODGER D1a. Blank goes, but then it's too late to worry I reckon.
Alec Rivers wrote:If it's just points you're after, CODGER at D1a scores 44.
It was about three posts up from your suggestion Alec. Hope that makes more sense now.
I was going to post something to this effect but I really didn't want to make the Scrabble thread contentious particularly when it's a good thread: I am trying to learn from it!

User avatar
Marc Meakin
Lord of the Post
Posts: 4018
Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 3:37 pm

Re: Scrabble consensus game - Move 10

Post by Marc Meakin » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:47 am

I knew we should have played TUMBRIL at M2.
Anyway, as no one else has thought of it, how about CODGeR at D1 for 44.:)
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT

User avatar
Alec Rivers
Devotee
Posts: 918
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:36 pm
Location: Studio 57, Cheriton (Kent)
Contact:

Re: Scrabble consensus game - Move 10

Post by Alec Rivers » Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:34 pm

lol. I scanned down the topic, but must have missed Ian's post. Simple as that. Sorry, Ian.

User avatar
Ian Volante
Postmaster General
Posts: 3563
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:15 pm
Location: Edinburgh
Contact:

Re: Scrabble consensus game - Move 10

Post by Ian Volante » Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:49 pm

Alec Rivers wrote:lol. I scanned down the topic, but must have missed Ian's post. Simple as that. Sorry, Ian.
I was thoroughly offended, but your kind apology has stopped me from self-harming. Thank you :)
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles

User avatar
Kirk Bevins
God
Posts: 4923
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:18 pm
Location: York, UK

Re: Scrabble consensus game - Move 10

Post by Kirk Bevins » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:03 pm

CODGER for 44 points at D1a. Can't believe nobody has suggested this yet.

User avatar
Marc Meakin
Lord of the Post
Posts: 4018
Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 3:37 pm

Re: Scrabble consensus game - Move 10

Post by Marc Meakin » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:21 pm

It's a damn shame that we cannot play DOGCART anywhere.
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT

User avatar
Craig Beevers
Series 57 Champion
Posts: 653
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 am
Contact:

Re: Scrabble consensus game - Move 10

Post by Craig Beevers » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:28 pm

Didn't take in that we were so low on tiles remaining, in hindsight GL(I)B or the like would have been better as it's too easy for Quackle even if it had no bonus to leave us a situation where there's only 6 in the bag (ie impossible to bonus twice). Even 7 in the bag makes it extremely unlikely because Quackle would know the second bonus rack and wouldn't make a mistake in blocking.

Anyway if people want to gamble for the bonus then I'd suggest something like C(I)G L1d. I suspect a dull option taking the triple would be the best equity play.

User avatar
Marc Meakin
Lord of the Post
Posts: 4018
Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 3:37 pm

Re: Scrabble consensus game - Move 10

Post by Marc Meakin » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:35 pm

CIG for me aswell at L1.
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT

User avatar
Marc Meakin
Lord of the Post
Posts: 4018
Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 3:37 pm

Re: Scrabble consensus game - Move 10

Post by Marc Meakin » Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:52 pm

Have we raised the white flag or will there be a move 11?
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests