British geography

Cerebral distractions of every kind, mostly but not exclusively Countdown-related.

Moderator: Michael Wallace

Peter Mabey
Kiloposter

British geography

Post by Peter Mabey »

The "US States" topic prompts me to celebrate my 100th posting by asking a similar question about Britain - the eastern one is easy, but for the others it'll be necessary to find answers for (a) England (b) Great Britain (c) the United Kingdom (d) the British Isles.
Pedants may start hares running in all directions by considering whether embassies (and consulates?) are considered to be legally British territory. :geek:
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Re: British geography

Post by Howard Somerset »

If we're thinking of counties, then for England I would say that the south, west and north are easier than the east.

Are you wanting answers here in this thread, or by pm?

Extending the question to Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland separately would be interesting too.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Eastern one is easy, but only if you know it [/tarannt]. (It's Lowestoft in Suffolk ;))
Neil Zussman
Enthusiast

Post by Neil Zussman »

I believe the most Southernly point is the Lizard, and the Western point is Land's End- therefore both in Cornwall.
I think the North question has been a question on Millionnaire, but I can't remember the answer.
Peter Mabey
Kiloposter

Post by Peter Mabey »

Howard Somerset wrote:Are you wanting answers here in this thread, or by pm?

Extending the question to Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland separately would be interesting too.
Answers here, please, as I'm not sure of best answers beyond England.
Agree other separate countries would be interesting.
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

ok. I've resisted the temptation to look at any map since seeing this tread for the first time.

some are guesses, and some I'm pretty confident about

England - north Northumberland, east Suffolk, south and west Cornwall
Great Britain - north Shetland, east Suffolk, south Cornwall, west Inverness (I'm hoping that includes the western isles)
UK - as GB, except west Fermanagh
British Isles - as UK, except west is a county of whose name I have no idea situated somewhere around Cork

Scotland - north and west as for GB, east Berwickshire, south Dumfriesshire
Wales - guessing on all four here and I might be mixing old and new county boundaries, north Gwynnedd, east Flint, south Glamorgan, west Cardigan
Northern Ireland - not even going to attempt this one
Jeff Clayton
Enthusiast

Post by Jeff Clayton »

The easternmost point of the UK mainland is actually Lowestoft Ness. The northernmost tip is Dunnett Head, several miles west of John O'Groats and up a bit more.

Jeff
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

I'd thought we were going for counties, rather like the US one was for states. But if it's actual locations, and we're confining it to the GB mainland, then southern extremity is Lizard Point, and western is Ardnamurchan Point (west of Fort William)
Gary Male
Enthusiast

Post by Gary Male »

Good Evening Rockall! Unless that doesn't count (which it shouldn't)
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

British Isles (if you include the Channel Islands), then in the north it's Yell I think in Shetland, west is either Rockall (dubious) or somewhere in Kerry (I'm told it's not Valentia, but it's out that way), south I'm not actually sure now I think about it, Jersey is it? East is of course Lowestoft.

For the UK, the west changes to (forgetting Rockall) St.Kilda most probably.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles