Official Thread of Brag

Official forum of apterous.org, the website which allows you to play against other people over the Internet.
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Re: Official Thread of Brag

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Conor wrote:The rounds were flatter than those in Paul's game, but: http://www.apterous.org/viewgame.php?game=3298
Nice! :) Added bonus for beating Rexie!
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

There's nothing big or clever about doing this to your non-Countdowning friends, but there is something sadistically entertaining about it. Pretty nightmarish rounds for a new player.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Charlie Reams wrote:There's nothing big or clever about doing this to your non-Countdowning friends, but there is something sadistically entertaining about it. Pretty nightmarish rounds for a new player.
Brilliant - NET was scored in one round: MNTXAOEIT

Even I can manage NOTE.
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

My first ever 11 letter word at hypercountdown, still can't beat Dinos' highest score though.
If you cut a gandiseeg in half, do you get two gandiseegs or two halves of a gandiseeg?
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Martin Gardner wrote:My first ever 11 letter word at hypercountdown, still can't beat Dinos' highest score though.
Nice one. I believe the only 12 (which scores 24!) by a human is CRIMINALISED by Joseph Bolas (an excellent offering which I'm surprised wasn't mentioned in this thread.) The only other one is EVERLASTINGS by Apterous Rex (against me, typical.) Both of these were in Hypergoatdown. The hunt for a standard Hyper 12 goes on.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Not much compared to those above, but I had a pleasing max game going until the Evil Jim ruined it with a horrendous 4 large round. I lost concentration a bit after that but still it's a quite a nice game.
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Improved my hypergoatdown high score http://www.apterous.org/viewgame.php?game=3876
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Dinos Sfyris wrote:Improved my hypergoatdown high score http://www.apterous.org/viewgame.php?game=3876
Hmm.. it didn't even improve your own high score, let alone the high score.

http://www.apterous.org/statsummary.php
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Oh dear! Well I think I've managed a very high losing score in a normal game, against Paul. We both got 13 maxes. http://www.apterous.org/viewgame.php?game=3881 Has anyone scored higher than this and still lost?
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Apterous Rex can claim to have a losing score of 121. If you don't count bots, you might argue that Conor could quite easily have accepted a losing score of 121 in the same game, had he been so inclined, so in that sense he's also ahead of you. But other than that, 115 is the best, so a commiseratory well done.
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Martin Gardner wrote:My first ever 11 letter word at hypercountdown, still can't beat Dinos' highest score though.
Nice one. I believe the only 12 (which scores 24!) by a human is CRIMINALISED by Joseph Bolas (and excellent offering which I'm surprised wasn't mentioned in this thread.) The only other one is EVERLASTINGS by Apterous Rex (against me, typical.) Both of these were in Hypergoatdown. The hunt for a standard Hyper 12 goes on.
DECLARATIONS was available in and Ian Volante vs. Apterous game, but neither contestant got it.
If you cut a gandiseeg in half, do you get two gandiseegs or two halves of a gandiseeg?
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Charlie Reams wrote:Not much compared to those above, but I had a pleasing max game going until the Evil Jim ruined it with a horrendous 4 large round. I lost concentration a bit after that but still it's a quite a nice game.
Great. Show everyone the game where I was complete shit. Oh wait, I am shit. Carry on.
Charlie Reams wrote:Apterous Rex can claim to have a losing score of 121. If you don't count bots, you might argue that Conor could quite easily have accepted a losing score of 121 in the same game, had he been so inclined, so in that sense he's also ahead of you. But other than that, 115 is the best, so a commiseratory well done.
While we're on the general subject of bots, Apterous Rex has scored 197 against me on Numbers Attack, which would beat my record (if bots counted).
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

This must be a record for something. Stupidity, at least.

(Note that my esteemed opponent finally got a numbers game right in Round... 435!)
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Charlie Reams wrote:This must be a record for something. Stupidity, at least.

(Note that my esteemed opponent finally got a numbers game right in Round... 435!)
I'm sort of equally impressed and horrified at the same time.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

I know it's nothing for most of you freaks of nature but I now have a Prime on a stick, my biggest scalp. It wasn't even a very good game considering I failed to score in the first three letters games.

http://apterous.org/viewgame.php?game=4088
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Do you only get the things on a stick for certin games? I've beaten Rex in a single conundrum game and got nothing for it.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Would've thought it was just the standard TV format. For obvious reasons.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

I think it's any 9 round game or higher, so a 9 round conundrum shootout would suffice.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

http://apterous.org/viewgame.php?game=4160

May only be second highest speed game but I've got my prime on a stick back and in style! :)
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

This is the new record, for stupidity, or whatever you call it :lol:
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Joseph Bolas wrote:

This is the new record, for stupidity, or whatever you call it :lol:
Round 498 is a particular highlight of that game.
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Ben Wilson wrote:
Joseph Bolas wrote:This is the new record, for stupidity, or whatever you call it :lol:
Round 498 is a particular highlight of that game.
I'm quite surprised that you can get points for that.

For anyone who is not able to view the game any more, it was a 700-round match between myself and Apterous Prune with the end score being 4636 v 153.

Round 498 offered the letters E K T O T D T M E and although I saw DEMOTE, I risked TOTEMED and it was disallowed. Apterous Prune, on the other hand, offered the word M and got 1 point :lol:
Paul Howe
Kiloposter

Post by Paul Howe »

Me and the mysterious Ecclesiastes Myanmar just notched up the highest joint total between two human players (joint highest if you include the nonhuman record between Conor and Apterous Rex )

http://www.apterous.org/viewgame.php?game=4511
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

RB in disguise?
Paul Howe
Kiloposter

Post by Paul Howe »

Nah, this guy's miles better than RB, who has a deeply scornful attitude to the kind of obscurities Mr Burma conjures up. Of course, he may also have disguised..... his PERSONALITY! A tricky thing to do in his case, I suspect.

Anyway I asked Eccles about his word prowess and he (she? it?) said they played a lot of scrabble, and since Charlie has apparently been pimping the site on ukscrabble I'm going for a tournament scrabble player.
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Jon O'Neill wrote:RB in disguise?
I dunno he offered me a game 4 times in a row while I was already playing a game and I declined everytime. I don't like anonymous players either because there's always the possibility that they're using Countmax or something.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Well this guy is pretty good at the letters but useless on numbers and conundrums. He generally gets conundrums between 10 and 20 seconds.

Not suspicious at all. No sir.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Jon O'Neill wrote: He generally gets conundrums between 10 and 20 seconds.
That's always the key. If they're so good on the letters, coming out with obscure words etc, then surely they can solve PRINGTEEN in under 10 seconds!?
Paul Howe
Kiloposter

Post by Paul Howe »

Yeah I found the SECTARIES spot a little suspicious, it's my understanding only the truly hardcore scrabbles bother learning nines and it's a very impressive thing to spot cold.

That being said, such allegations have been misdirected before and it's easy to think the worst of people.
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Paul Howe wrote:Yeah I found the SECTARIES spot a little suspicious, it's my understanding only the truly hardcore scrabbles bother learning nines and it's a very impressive thing to spot cold.

That being said, such allegations have been misdirected before and it's easy to think the worst of people.
It's not that that bothers me so much, it's the fact that he matched me when I was already playing and continued to do so a total of 4 times. Politeness never hurts.
Ben Pugh
Enthusiast

Post by Ben Pugh »

Highest Speedgoat score.

http://www.apterous.org/viewgame.php?game=4618

Of course it's a lot easier to break a record playing Apterous Caesar than when playing Paul Howe!
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Paul Howe wrote:Yeah I found the SECTARIES spot a little suspicious, it's my understanding only the truly hardcore scrabbles bother learning nines and it's a very impressive thing to spot cold.

But it's the plural of SECTARY which is 7 letters. I think CREASIEST is valid as well, isn't it?
Paul Howe
Kiloposter

Post by Paul Howe »

Martin Gardner wrote:

But it's the plural of SECTARY which is 7 letters. I think CREASIEST is valid as well, isn't it?
It's a -y to -ies plural of an obscure word which IMO is a nightmare to spot in a selection with many other things to try, but of course it's still possible. I don't think creasiest is valid, in fact when I was learning I taught myself creasiest = SECTARIES to help me spot it.
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Paul Howe wrote:That being said, such allegations have been misdirected before and it's easy to think the worst of people.
I remember an allegation being made to me in private against Conor Travers before he appeared on the show, and of course when he did appear on the show at 14 he averaged 110 points per game. But of course the Internet games are generally a haven for cheats, nothing could be easier. I suspect someday on the Apterous site there will be someone who gets the max in every round.

PS maybe this should be formed into another thread?
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Woohoo! Finally - the practice is starting to pay off!

http://www.apterous.org/viewgame.php?game=4777
Paul Howe
Kiloposter

Post by Paul Howe »

Kirk Bevins wrote:Woohoo! Finally - the practice is starting to pay off!

http://www.apterous.org/viewgame.php?game=4777
Yes, get in! :)
Paul Howe
Kiloposter

Post by Paul Howe »

It'll probably have changed by the time you look at it, but for now, woohoo!

http://www.apterous.org/top.php

I did cheat slightly by conundrum challenging apterous prime but the last seven wins came from speedgoat so I feel entitled to a moment of braggadocio.

I also don't understand Mishkin Zion's low rating considering he's got a 100% record and beaten some good players (unless some of the games were unrated?)
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Paul Howe wrote:It'll probably have changed by the time you look at it, but for now, woohoo!

Just incase it does, before anyone else sees this, well done Paul for getting the top spot in the rankings table.
Paul Howe wrote:I also don't understand Mishkin Zion's low rating considering he's got a 100% record and beaten some good players (unless some of the games were unrated?)
Has Mishkin actually been on Countdown before, or are they a new person to Countdown?. I have looked in the Wiki, but from what's avaiable, their name doesn't come up.
Matthew Green
Devotee

Post by Matthew Green »

http://www.apterous.org/viewgame.php?game=4850

Rather proud of this first numbers game in 15 seconds.
Rather embarrassed about the first conundrum though...
If I suddenly have a squirming baby on my lap it probably means that I should start paying it some attention and stop wasting my time messing around on a Countdown forum
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

My highest score yet, although nothing compared to the greats. Just thought I'd try and put Martin off a bit before our semi final! For the record I saw REPLACER but didnt risk it as Ian declared first, so only real annoyance was round 11 http://www.apterous.org/viewgame.php?game=4941
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Dinos Sfyris wrote:My highest score yet, although nothing compared to the greats. Just thought I'd try and put Martin off a bit before our semi final! For the record I saw REPLACER but didnt risk it as Ian declared first, so only real annoyance was round 11 http://www.apterous.org/viewgame.php?game=4941
Well done Dinos. Only 6 short of the maximum.

Also some good words to learn there; EMBOLUS, TOILWORM and TOXAEMIA.
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

On the same note, there's this game.

I dropped just one point on the letters with ABORNING although I also dropped 6 points on the numbers.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Dinos Sfyris wrote:My highest score yet, although nothing compared to the greats. Just thought I'd try and put Martin off a bit before our semi final! For the record I saw REPLACER but didnt risk it as Ian declared first, so only real annoyance was round 11 http://www.apterous.org/viewgame.php?game=4941
Aye, a very good lesson you gave me there!
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Matt Coates
Acolyte

Post by Matt Coates »

check out http://www.apterous.org/viewgame.php?game=5227

the game went to a 7th crucial conundrum.

i know its in the brag section but there wasnt a section for being crap
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Paul Howe wrote:It'll probably have changed by the time you look at it, but for now, woohoo!

I did cheat slightly by conundrum challenging apterous prime but the last seven wins came from speedgoat so I feel entitled to a moment of braggadocio.

I also don't understand Mishkin Zion's low rating considering he's got a 100% record and beaten some good players (unless some of the games were unrated?)
Sadly it's changed now and you're 2nd.
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Matt Coates wrote:check out http://www.apterous.org/viewgame.php?game=5227

the game went to a 7th crucial conundrum.

i know its in the brag section but there wasnt a section for being crap
In fairness you both had 60 out of a possible 61 before the conundrum.
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Just played a Numbers Attack against Apterous Prime - he beat me 190-180 after a crucial conundrum, damn him for his impudence. Anyway, does that mean that if we'd both been a little bit better, we could've been 200-200 after twenty rounds, so 210 is actually the best possible score?
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

jimbentley wrote:Just played a Numbers Attack against Apterous Prime - he beat me 190-180 after a crucial conundrum, damn him for his impudence. Anyway, does that mean that if we'd both been a little bit better, we could've been 200-200 after twenty rounds, so 210 is actually the best possible score?
Sort of. You could indeed have scored 210, but it wouldn't show up in the Game Browser or high scores as being a Numbers Attack.
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

jimbentley wrote:Just played a Numbers Attack against Apterous Prime - he beat me 190-180 after a crucial conundrum, damn him for his impudence. Anyway, does that mean that if we'd both been a little bit better, we could've been 200-200 after twenty rounds, so 210 is actually the best possible score?
Does that mean that if there's a tie in a letters or numbers challenge, there's a conundrum at the end?
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Yep.
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Was quite pleased with my major ownage of Mr Matthew Green :) Some tricky numbers games here. The first one I spotted just outta time. http://www.apterous.org/viewgame.php?game=5651
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Dinos Sfyris wrote:Was quite pleased with my major ownage of Mr Matthew Green :) Some tricky numbers games here. The first one I spotted just outta time. http://www.apterous.org/viewgame.php?game=5651
With the gap being 85, is this then the biggest winning margin on a Apterous game, with two human players (going by the round format)?

EDIT: Because I got the maths wrong, I think there have been bigger winning margins :oops:
Last edited by Joseph Bolas on Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Joseph Bolas wrote:
Dinos Sfyris wrote:Was quite pleased with my major ownage of Mr Matthew Green :) Some tricky numbers games here. The first one I spotted just outta time. http://www.apterous.org/viewgame.php?game=5651
With the gap being 115, is this then the biggest winning margin on a Apterous game, with two human players (going by the round format)?
I think you ought to brush up on your maths - the gap is actually 85.
Julian Fell
Series 48 Champion

Post by Julian Fell »

Joseph, if you mean is it the largest margin for that particular format, I don't know. If you mean is it the largest margin for any Apterous game, I think Kirk may know of a game where there was a larger one ;)
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Julian Fell wrote:Joseph, if you mean is it the largest margin for that particular format, I don't know. If you mean is it the largest margin for any Apterous game, I think Kirk may know of a game where there was a larger one ;)
Do I?
Julian Fell
Series 48 Champion

Post by Julian Fell »

vs. Rich Priest, remember?
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Julian Fell wrote:Joseph, if you mean is it the largest margin for that particular format, I don't know. If you mean is it the largest margin for any Apterous game, I think Kirk may know of a game where there was a larger one ;)
Yes Julian, what I meant was, was that 85 the biggest margin under the 14-rounded Goatdown style game format.

I wouldn't know about the other round formats, sorry.
Ben Pugh
Enthusiast

Post by Ben Pugh »

Joseph Bolas wrote:
Yes Julian, what I meant was, was that 85 the biggest margin under the 14-rounded Goatdown style game format.

That wasn't normal Goatdown, which is 15 rounds and also has two less numbers rounds and one less conundrum than was featured in Dinos' game vs. Matthew Green.
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Ben Pugh wrote:
Joseph Bolas wrote:

That wasn't normal Goatdown, which is 15 rounds and also has two less numbers rounds and one less conundrum than was featured in Dinos' game vs. Matthew Green.
Oh yes, I knew that wasn't the normal structure for a Goatdown game, but I was just wondering if out of all the Goatdown games that have been played in that customised 14 round format, if that was the biggest winning margin.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

Not that special, a lot of flat rounds, etc. etc. but I was quite pleased with this game in that I only dropped 3 points (Nick's lightning conundrums aside...).