Feature requests

Official forum of apterous.org, the website which allows you to play against other people over the Internet.
Kirk Bevins
God

Re: Feature requests

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Mikey Lear wrote:I think dictionary corner should list all the words which are longer than the one you got, not just all the maxima. Probably most people don't care about that because they always get the max or one below, but I quite often get a 5 when there's an 8 available and I kind of want to know if there were any 6s or 7s as well. And I guess that would be an easy tweak, if it's not asking too much?
I only care about maxes and it would clutter it up too much if you did anything different. If I get a 6 and there's an 8 then I'll use countmax to see if there's any 7s.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Gavin Chipper wrote:Maybe an option to type your numbers declaration after the time, with a patience bar thing. I tend to just click on the target right at the start in case I forget later. Then I try and work it out but if I fail I have to change the answer which reduces the amount of time I actually have to do the working out.
I got a numbers today but realised I'd forgotten to declare. My own preferred system would be to have a short period after the time to declare so you can't accidentally forget, but alternatively (or as well) you could have the target as the default declaration.

Edit - Also I don't know if it's just me, but sometimes when I change my declaration I accidentally press "end round early" instead of "set declaration".
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote:Maybe an option to type your numbers declaration after the time, with a patience bar thing. I tend to just click on the target right at the start in case I forget later. Then I try and work it out but if I fail I have to change the answer which reduces the amount of time I actually have to do the working out.
I got a numbers today but realised I'd forgotten to declare. My own preferred system would be to have a short period after the time to declare so you can't accidentally forget, but alternatively (or as well) you could have the target as the default declaration.

Edit - Also I don't know if it's just me, but sometimes when I change my declaration I accidentally press "end round early" instead of "set declaration".
Or, alternatively, it could just derive your declaration from the workings-out in the panel? It would save irritation like this.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Ben Wilson wrote:Or, alternatively, it could just derive your declaration from the workings-out in the panel? It would save irritation like this.
And then when people put brackets in the wrong place and give a method that actually evaluates to something completely different, they'll wonder why they ended up declaring 257 away.

I will probably add something that warns you with 5 seconds to go if you haven't made a declaration.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Ben Wilson wrote:Or, alternatively, it could just derive your declaration from the workings-out in the panel? It would save irritation like this.
And then when people put brackets in the wrong place and give a method that actually evaluates to something completely different, they'll wonder why they ended up declaring 257 away.

I will probably add something that warns you with 5 seconds to go if you haven't made a declaration.
Could you add one that warns if the declaration is more than 10 away? I once cocked up because I declared something like '2889' instead of 289. Might be a bit trickier to implement, I admit.
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

This is just a suggestion, but why not redesign the high score table in such a way that when you click on More, for each game variation, you can see the best score for every player, instead of just the top 10 scores.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Joseph Bolas wrote:This is just a suggestion, but why not redesign the high score table in such a way that when you click on More, for each game variation, you can see the best score for every player, instead of just the top 10 scores.
Because of a table of 300 or so not-very-high scores would be dull and no one would read it. Maybe it could show you your own high score in a given category, since people might conceivably care about that.
Damian E
Enthusiast

Post by Damian E »

Some comments from me, not all of them are serious.

1. Why is Brian Blessed featured as a Dictionary Corner member?

2. I think its a bit cruel to allow NO backspacing when entering words at the death. I often rush and panic and end up typing in a load of old crud (rather like here really). The timing bar still whizzes to the end, so you are not gaining anything by being allowed to backspace, other than correcting a typing error, surely?

3. I don't like the guests. The comments they make are boring.

4. It's full of bad editing.

5. Apterous Prime is unreasonably bad at Speed Numbers attack.

6. As a former chemist, i disagree with the decision not to allow the plural of OCTANE.

7. I once missed the word apterous in a game with Jim Bentley. I think it should be taken out of the dictionary and will be complaining to OUP to have it removed so Charlie can copyright it.

8. What happened to the feature whereby you can import your own picture?

9. Can i give someone an apterous subscription as a Xmas present?

10. I don't think the correct distribution of letters are used in apterous. They are not the same as used on the show.

11. Why won't anyone tell me what a broken pencil is?

12. In 2 months from now, apterous will look like old hat as Carol / Des won't be on the show anymore and i refuse to allow you to use the likenesses of the new presenters if they are stolen from an edition of the show.

13. Whatever happened to Richard Stilgoe?

14. We might be updating the look of the teapot and calling it a Goatpot.

15. Why am i credited as being the creator of Goatdown when i have no recollection of it whatsoever?
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Brian Blessed is the greatest man ever!

DIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE!
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Damian E wrote:15. Why am i credited as being the creator of Goatdown when i have no recollection of it whatsoever?
Just because you have no recollection of it whatsoever, doesn't mean it didn't happen. Which it did. You were probably pissed.
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Ian Volante wrote:Brian Blessed is the greatest man ever!
He would be the best host ever :D.

If anyone has Challenge TV, Brian actually hosts a program called Unbeatable Banzuke (weekdays 18:00 and 00:00), which is one of these Japanese endurance game shows, like Takeshi's Castle.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Could there be a search on apterous? I wanted to search for the last game when UNCREATES came up and I really couldn't be bothered trawling all my games so I left it. If apterous had a search facility this would be awesome! It could be used to throw up how often PILEUS etc comes up and thus would give you an indication of which of the obscure words commonly appear and are worth learning.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Kirk Bevins wrote:Could there be a search on apterous? I wanted to search for the last game when UNCREATES came up and I really couldn't be bothered trawling all my games so I left it. If apterous had a search facility this would be awesome! It could be used to throw up how often PILEUS etc comes up and thus would give you an indication of which of the obscure words commonly appear and are worth learning.
+Todo
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Kirk Bevins wrote:Could there be a search on apterous? I wanted to search for the last game when UNCREATES came up and I really couldn't be bothered trawling all my games so I left it. If apterous had a search facility this would be awesome! It could be used to throw up how often PILEUS etc comes up and thus would give you an indication of which of the obscure words commonly appear and are worth learning.
+Todo
Also, I think searching players is awkward. All you get is a top 10 list rather than a full member list and to find an individual's stats, you have to find a game with them in in the game browser or using some other awkward technique.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Gavin Chipper wrote:Edit - Also I don't know if it's just me, but sometimes when I change my declaration I accidentally press "end round early" instead of "set declaration".
The "end round early" button is just too close to the box where you enter your declaration and I just find it too "intuitive" to move to it. If you move the button well out of the way I think it would help.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

How about ratings for each basic game type? Overall rating could be calculated by weighted average, and individual ratings can just appear on the profile page.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Damian E
Enthusiast

Post by Damian E »

How about soft classical music playing in the background, the option to add studio applause to every winning word, side impact bars, a web cam facility so we can join up visually and play naked against each other, and perhaps a free box of lemon turkish delight to those donating. "I love Apterous" t-shirts should be made available to buy online, as well as Charlie Reams- Eau De Cologne.

Better still, the 'end the round early' button should be renamed "end your life early" and those pressing it by accident get an all-expenses paid trip to Dignitas in Switzerland.
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Damian E wrote:How about soft classical music playing in the background.
I normally listen to music when I am playing on Apterous, but then you have the beeping of the tiles and the pop-ups etc, so could there be an option please to mute Apterous whilst you are playing.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Damian E wrote:Better still, the 'end the round early' button should be renamed "end your life early" and those pressing it by accident get an all-expenses paid trip to Dignitas in Switzerland.
Even better if it instantly fires a curare-laden needle straight into one's forehead, save on aviation fuel.
Julie T
Kiloposter

Post by Julie T »

Damian E wrote:How about a web cam facility so we can join up visually and play naked against each other.
Strip Countdown! Now there's a novel (or navel? :D ) idea! :lol:
"My idea of an agreeable person is a person who agrees with me." Benjamin Disraeli
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Damian E wrote:How about soft classical music playing in the background, the option to add studio applause to every winning word, side impact bars, a web cam facility so we can join up visually and play naked against each other, and perhaps a free box of lemon turkish delight to those donating. "I love Apterous" t-shirts should be made available to buy online, as well as Charlie Reams- Eau De Cologne.

Better still, the 'end the round early' button should be renamed "end your life early" and those pressing it by accident get an all-expenses paid trip to Dignitas in Switzerland.
Joseph Bolas wrote:
Damian E wrote:How about soft classical music playing in the background.
I normally listen to music when I am playing on Apterous, but then you have the beeping of the tiles and the pop-ups etc, so could there be an option please to mute Apterous whilst you are playing.
Hahaha, this can't go under the radar. Possibly the biggest ever oversight of blatant sarcasm in the world. Ever. Seriously.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Jon O'Neill wrote: Hahaha, this can't go under the radar. Possibly the biggest ever oversight of blatant sarcasm in the world. Ever. Seriously.
I think Joseph was asking for the other sounds to be muteable (a long overdue feature), rather than the classical music.

Also it would be pretty cool to have some distinctive 30-second jingle to play behind the rounds, so if anyone has some suggestions (subject to copyright restrictions), I'm all ears.
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Charlie Reams wrote:I think Joseph was asking for the other sounds to be muteable (a long overdue feature), rather than the classical music.
That is what I meant Charlie :D
Charlie Reams wrote:Also it would be pretty cool to have some distinctive 30-second jingle to play behind the rounds, so if anyone has some suggestions (subject to copyright restrictions), I'm all ears.
You've got those Countdown Remixes that were made by Tim Halbert, though not sure if he would let you use them on Apterous.
Damian E
Enthusiast

Post by Damian E »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Jon O'Neill wrote: Hahaha, this can't go under the radar. Possibly the biggest ever oversight of blatant sarcasm in the world. Ever. Seriously.
I think Joseph was asking for the other sounds to be muteable (a long overdue feature), rather than the classical music.

Also it would be pretty cool to have some distinctive 30-second jingle to play behind the rounds, so if anyone has some suggestions (subject to copyright restrictions), I'm all ears.

How about the Countdown clock music? Copyright restrictions haven't held you back so far, so why worry now? :mrgreen:
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Damian E wrote:Copyright restrictions haven't held you back so far, so why worry now? :mrgreen:
What are you referring to?
Damian E
Enthusiast

Post by Damian E »

The game of Countdown, the Conundrum, the photos of Susie, Alison, Des & Carol........... !!

Come on !!
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Damian E wrote:The game of Countdown
Uncopyrightable.
Damian E wrote:the Conundrum
What about it? I'm pretty sure there's prior art on 9-letter anagrams!
Damian E wrote:the photos of Susie, Alison, Des & Carol........... !!
Maybe. Although those were taken from Google Images where they've been for a long time, so I think an argument for non-enforcement could be made. Not sure if I could hire a lawyer good enough to make it though, since my "legal team" has recently retired from Countdown and apparently all forms of communication. But I could easily remove them if anyone was really bothered.
Damian E
Enthusiast

Post by Damian E »

I'll sit this one out Charlie.

:mrgreen:
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Damian E wrote:The game of Countdown
Uncopyrightable.
Why do Channel 4 bother to refer to it as an Arm and Hammer (or something) game if there's no need from a copyright point of view? And on a tangent, the French game is different from our one anyway so in what sense is Countdown an Arm and Jam game? Isn't it just based on one?
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Gavin Chipper wrote:Why do Channel 4 bother to refer to it as an Arm and Hammer (or something) game if there's no need from a copyright point of view? And on a tangent, the French game is different from our one anyway so in what sense is Countdown an Arm and Jam game? Isn't it just based on one?
I dunno, maybe there's some complicated law surrounding television formats, which would also explain why Endemol have worldwide rights to Big Brother even though the idea of "filming people doing stuff" is hardly new. But anyway, it's well known that games cannot be copyrighted, although their elements can be; so, for example, Scrabble is not copyrighted, but the name is trademarked and the board (its colourings, arrangement and so on) is protected by copyright. Countdown as a game is not copyrighted, although the name presumably is (and you'll notice it's not used anywhere on apterous.org except in the disclaimer) and the related artwork is probably copyrighted also (which is why I don't have big Countdown clocks all over the site.)

It's almost like I'd thought about it, isn't it?
Damian E
Enthusiast

Post by Damian E »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote:Why do Channel 4 bother to refer to it as an Arm and Hammer (or something) game if there's no need from a copyright point of view? And on a tangent, the French game is different from our one anyway so in what sense is Countdown an Arm and Jam game? Isn't it just based on one?
I dunno, maybe there's some complicated law surrounding television formats, which would also explain why Endemol have worldwide rights to Big Brother even though the idea of "filming people doing stuff" is hardly new. But anyway, it's well known that games cannot be copyrighted, although their elements can be; so, for example, Scrabble is not copyrighted, but the name is trademarked and the board (its colourings, arrangement and so on) is protected by copyright. Countdown as a game is not copyrighted, although the name presumably is (and you'll notice it's not used anywhere on apterous.org except in the disclaimer) and the related artwork is probably copyrighted also (which is why I don't have big Countdown clocks all over the site.)

It's almost like I'd thought about it, isn't it?

Almost, Charlie.

:mrgreen:
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Not to have to log in at random to the forum when clicking through from an e-mail. Only a minor gripe admittedly, but it's slightly annoying when I never log out.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Instructions
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

I was thinking of an option where you pick your nine letters as normal in the word rounds, but the first 8 are hidden, until you have picked your 9th letter and then all 9 letters are shown together, if that makes sense.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Joseph Bolas wrote:I was thinking of an option where you pick your nine letters as normal in the word rounds, but the first 8 are hidden, until you have picked your 9th letter and then all 9 letters are shown together, if that makes sense.
You could just have it so the options are 6C 3V, 5C 4V, 4C 5V. There's no point picking one by one if you can't see them, although I suppose people prefer certain orderings of their consonants and vowels.
Jimmy Gough
Devotee

Post by Jimmy Gough »

I haven't read through all the posts so this might've been mentioned.

How about you get other humans in your inventory - so you can see who you've beaten before and who you haven't.

Just a suggestion....
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Gavin Chipper wrote:Instructions
If you write them, mate.
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Joseph Bolas wrote:I was thinking of an option where you pick your nine letters as normal in the word rounds, but the first 8 are hidden, until you have picked your 9th letter and then all 9 letters are shown together, if that makes sense.
You could just have it so the options are 6C 3V, 5C 4V, 4C 5V. There's no point picking one by one if you can't see them, although I suppose people prefer certain orderings of their consonants and vowels.
You mightn't be able to see the letters, but people might have a way of grouping the consonants and vowels which helps them see the longer words etc.

Having the options of 6C 3V, 5C 4V and 4C 5V though, would make it more interesting as you wouldn't know what to expect :D
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Charlie, you included Hyperecountdown, which is basically the same as Countdown Advanced originally invented back in 2002 on the Channel 4 forum, so I suggest a variant number format, which also emerged on the same forum in 2002.
The producers are in discussion over a possible new format for the numbers game. The existing features will remain, but there will be a small addition. As well as the current number cards, there will be seven balls. The balls will represent the numbers 15, 35, 45, 55, 65, 85 and 95. So when a contestant chooses their selection, they might ask for one from the top, three small numbers and two balls. It will be possible for someone to go for six big numbers using some combination of the top row and the balls. Someone could go for six balls.

But why balls? The catch with the balls is that the numbers aren't actually written on the balls but they are colour coded. The other problem is that all the balls are red (they are a bit like red snooker balls). Each number is represented by a slightly different shade of red and the contestants are shown the balls before the show so they know which is which. When viewed all together, the balls are very easy to tell apart, but when you see them in isolation and not right in front of you, it is not always so easy to see which ball had been picked.

The balls not selected will be out of sight so contestants will not be able to compare them with the selected balls. Carol selects them at random of course.

If a contestant is confident that they can discriminate the colours well, then they might go for a selection with one or more balls in. Otherwise they can still go for an ordinary selection. It's possible that someone might think that they have reached the target using the 45, only to find out that it is a 55 so they get no points.

The identity of the balls will not be revealed until the contestants have given their solutions. If someone says that they have used the 45 and multiplied it by 9 when there is no 45, Carol will just say that there is no 45 in the selection and Richard will act as if they have made a stupid careless mistake like he would normally. Carol won't say what the number is until the round is over with (this won't be necessary if someone has successfully used it in their solution). But she won't say it like an announcement. It will either be said in her solution or if she didn't use it, then she might say "I didn't use the 55" or if she couldn't do it she might say "It was very tricky with the 55". She will never say anything that might suggest that she thinks it isn't obvious what all the numbers are.

The balls will slot in in the same place as the ordinary card numbers. There will be a hemispherical section cut out of the back of the board where the numbers go. The card numbers will still fit as normal (the circular cross-section of the balls is smaller than the number cards so the the cards can't fall through) and the balls will be able to slot in nicely (they won't fall out because the surroundings will be made of rubber which will stretch slightly when the balls slot in). When putting the numbers up, Carol will still say what the ordinary numbers are but when there is a ball she will just say "A ball". So she might say "So we have 3, 10, 6, 2, 1 and a ball."
I think this could work quite well. When you are about to pick your selection (one ball and from the top or whatever), the seven red balls could be on the screen in numercial order, and then once you've made your selection they would just appear as a solid red circle in the selection and you have to remember which shade of red it is.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Gavin Chipper wrote:Charlie, you included Hyperecountdown, which is basically the same as Countdown Advanced originally invented back in 2002 on the Channel 4 forum, so I suggest a variant number format, which also emerged on the same forum in 2002.
The producers are in discussion over a possible new format for the numbers game. The existing features will remain, but there will be a small addition. As well as the current number cards, there will be seven balls. The balls will represent the numbers 15, 35, 45, 55, 65, 85 and 95. So when a contestant chooses their selection, they might ask for one from the top, three small numbers and two balls. It will be possible for someone to go for six big numbers using some combination of the top row and the balls. Someone could go for six balls.

But why balls? The catch with the balls is that the numbers aren't actually written on the balls but they are colour coded. The other problem is that all the balls are red (they are a bit like red snooker balls). Each number is represented by a slightly different shade of red and the contestants are shown the balls before the show so they know which is which. When viewed all together, the balls are very easy to tell apart, but when you see them in isolation and not right in front of you, it is not always so easy to see which ball had been picked.

The balls not selected will be out of sight so contestants will not be able to compare them with the selected balls. Carol selects them at random of course.

If a contestant is confident that they can discriminate the colours well, then they might go for a selection with one or more balls in. Otherwise they can still go for an ordinary selection. It's possible that someone might think that they have reached the target using the 45, only to find out that it is a 55 so they get no points.

The identity of the balls will not be revealed until the contestants have given their solutions. If someone says that they have used the 45 and multiplied it by 9 when there is no 45, Carol will just say that there is no 45 in the selection and Richard will act as if they have made a stupid careless mistake like he would normally. Carol won't say what the number is until the round is over with (this won't be necessary if someone has successfully used it in their solution). But she won't say it like an announcement. It will either be said in her solution or if she didn't use it, then she might say "I didn't use the 55" or if she couldn't do it she might say "It was very tricky with the 55". She will never say anything that might suggest that she thinks it isn't obvious what all the numbers are.

The balls will slot in in the same place as the ordinary card numbers. There will be a hemispherical section cut out of the back of the board where the numbers go. The card numbers will still fit as normal (the circular cross-section of the balls is smaller than the number cards so the the cards can't fall through) and the balls will be able to slot in nicely (they won't fall out because the surroundings will be made of rubber which will stretch slightly when the balls slot in). When putting the numbers up, Carol will still say what the ordinary numbers are but when there is a ball she will just say "A ball". So she might say "So we have 3, 10, 6, 2, 1 and a ball."
I think this could work quite well. When you are about to pick your selection (one ball and from the top or whatever), the seven red balls could be on the screen in numercial order, and then once you've made your selection they would just appear as a solid red circle in the selection and you have to remember which shade of red it is.
What a load of shite.
Damian E
Enthusiast

Post by Damian E »

Let him believe in his dreams.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Why don't we just have Countdown Unlimited as well while we're at it? :roll:
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

Or Euro Countdown.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Charlie - despite my defence of the numbers system previously, I am wondering if there is a little room for improvement. On difficult numbers games where you're using the whole 30 seconds (and not getting the target) it can be quite tricky to get your declaration in in time - particularly if you're typing in a formula when you see something else, it's a rush to switch the focus from the formula textbox to the declaration textbox, get it typed in and press enter. If you get it spot on but late, you can of course click the target to declare, which is great - what I'm wondering is if it would work to have a few buttons either side of the target you can use to declare inexact answers? It would probably get quite confusing to see '890' '891' etc if the target was '892', so maybe have -5, -4 etc through to +5. Dunno, might be shit and wouldn't work well, can't really decide without trying...
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

That two-note thing seems to be the only indicator - it's the same when someone challenges you, if someone takes up your challenge, at the end of a round. I would suggest a different noise for some things, in particular when someone challenges you to a game.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Joseph Bolas wrote:This is just a suggestion, but why not redesign the high score table in such a way that when you click on More, for each game variation, you can see the best score for every player, instead of just the top 10 scores.
Because of a table of 300 or so not-very-high scores would be dull and no one would read it. Maybe it could show you your own high score in a given category, since people might conceivably care about that.
I finally did this. The user pages on the website now show high scores for each of the major formats.
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote:
I finally did this. The user pages on the website now show high scores for each of the major formats.
Thank you Charlie :D
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

If someone has entered a valid word into their box but end up declaring a short one because it's too risky, then I think it would be a good feature for it to come up in the box thing at the end that they had that word rather than DC just claiming it.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Is there any way it could be changed so that if you get a conundrum wrong in the duel it could just end the round without the time running out?
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Gavin Chipper wrote:Is there any way it could be changed so that if you get a conundrum wrong in the duel it could just end the round without the time running out?
+Todo
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote:Is there any way it could be changed so that if you get a conundrum wrong in the duel it could just end the round without the time running out?
+Todo
Cheers
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote:
+Todo
Cheers
Seconded, that has annoyed me in the past, so cheers Charlie. :)
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

Ben Wilson wrote:Seconded, that has annoyed me in the past, so cheers Charlie. :)
I never get as far as the conundrum on the duel because my computer is so spassy :cry:
16/10/2007 - Episode 4460
Dinos Sfyris 76 - 78 Dorian Lidell
Proof that even idiots can get well and truly mainwheeled.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Kai Laddiman wrote:
Ben Wilson wrote:Seconded, that has annoyed me in the past, so cheers Charlie. :)
I never get as far as the conundrum on the duel because my computer is so spassy :cry:
Not even today? :p
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

Ben Wilson wrote:
Kai Laddiman wrote:
Not even today? :p
Only just.
16/10/2007 - Episode 4460
Dinos Sfyris 76 - 78 Dorian Lidell
Proof that even idiots can get well and truly mainwheeled.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Just thought I'd repeat something that would be extremely useful for me (and I'm sure many others). Could there be a search box on apterous to search through past games? Simon Myers had SEAMFREE come up today in DC and said it was nice and I said I was sure I'd missed that recently but I couldn't be bothered to check. It would have been nice to find when I missed it and the other words in that selection.

What I did notice today is when browsing past games is that I was coming out with words like MIELIES and one other I can't remember now and I had forgotten all about them. A search would be a speedy way to find games from 2 months ago and see words I was missing/spotting that I've either since forgotten or learnt.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Kirk Bevins wrote:Just thought I'd repeat something that would be extremely useful for me (and I'm sure many others). Could there be a search box on apterous to search through past games? Simon Myers had SEAMFREE come up today in DC and said it was nice and I said I was sure I'd missed that recently but I couldn't be bothered to check. It would have been nice to find when I missed it and the other words in that selection.

What I did notice today is when browsing past games is that I was coming out with words like MIELIES and one other I can't remember now and I had forgotten all about them. A search would be a speedy way to find games from 2 months ago and see words I was missing/spotting that I've either since forgotten or learnt.
This is already +Todo'd.
Dan Vanniasingham
Enthusiast

Post by Dan Vanniasingham »

In my current quest for the perfect speed numbers attack (which I was cruelly denied yesterday on a deceptively tricky 20th round), I have to take on Prune so as to have 20 games of 1 large. As I no longer have the desire to add further scores of 190 to my resumé, it's annoying having to continue the game or lose a ridiculous number of rating points once I've ballsed up (particularly in the first round).

My suggested feature to resolve that would be a "challenge mode", allowing you to face any of the bots on any of the game variations - without rating points at stake. If there's a better solution to my impatience then I'd be in favour of it too.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Dan Vanniasingham wrote:In my current quest for the perfect speed numbers attack (which I was cruelly denied yesterday on a deceptively tricky 20th round), I have to take on Prune so as to have 20 games of 1 large. As I no longer have the desire to add further scores of 190 to my resumé, it's annoying having to continue the game or lose a ridiculous number of rating points once I've ballsed up (particularly in the first round).

My suggested feature to resolve that would be a "challenge mode", allowing you to face any of the bots on any of the game variations - without rating points at stake. If there's a better solution to my impatience then I'd be in favour of it too.
Hear hear.

Though to be fair, as it's prune, when I've made an irreperable cock-up I just forfeit every round, it rarely makes any difference.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Once in a numbers game, I entered my solution into the box, clicked on "end round early", and then my attention drifted away until I realised that I'd typed something in wrongly and also that I'd run out of time on the second chance thing! My suggestion would be that if you end the round early but make a mistake, it goes straight to the other bit without having to wait for the time to run down or the other player to click on "end round early".

Also if I declare further away from the target than my opponent, and I don't enter it into the first box, then it won't ask me for my solution unless the other player gets it wrong. I don't like the bit where you've got to sit staring at the screen waiting to see if you have to enter your solution. Can't it have you enter it anyway?