Feature requests

Official forum of apterous.org, the website which allows you to play against other people over the Internet.
User avatar
Ben Wilson
Legend
Posts: 3708
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:05 pm
Location: North Hykeham

Re: Feature requests

Post by Ben Wilson » Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:22 pm

Given how apterous categorically isn't Countdown- it even says so on the front page- can we have an option to change the background/letter colour of the tiles?

User avatar
Rhys Benjamin
Kiloposter
Posts: 1883
Joined: Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:28 pm
Location: Down in the tube station at midnight
Contact:

Re: Feature requests

Post by Rhys Benjamin » Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:26 pm

The ability to block/unblock people from their userpage would be cool, so I don't have to wait for them to come online again.
The forum's resident JAILBAKER, who has SPONDERED several times...

User avatar
JimBentley
Legend
Posts: 2605
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:39 pm
Location: Redcar, UK
Contact:

Re: Feature requests

Post by JimBentley » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:03 am

Completely non-essential, but could the list of Happenings on the title page default to Happenings from the last 24 hours, rather than the latest 20 Happenings? Usually I only get chance to log in once a day and if there's been a game with lots of comments, the Happenings often go back only a couple of hours or so.

User avatar
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 7232
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:27 pm
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Feature requests

Post by Matt Morrison » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:26 am

JimBentley wrote:Completely non-essential, but could the list of Happenings on the title page default to Happenings from the last 24 hours, rather than the latest 20 Happenings? Usually I only get chance to log in once a day and if there's been a game with lots of comments, the Happenings often go back only a couple of hours or so.
I know what you mean, it's not perfect - but nor's that. Otherwise people who've been away from the site more than 24 hours (come on, we all have to do it sometimes) won't be able to catch up.

The best solution is, typically, the one that would involve Charlie doing the most work - i.e. it just amalgamates things into one entry, such as "Innis Carson's 140-115 game with Adam Gillard received 2 nominations for Game of the Week and 7 comments" which would be SWEET.

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 7832
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 pm

Re: Feature requests

Post by Gavin Chipper » Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:41 pm

I was thinking a hyper variant where the number distribution is the same as in normal. So still 8 numbers, but only 4 large (25, 50, 75 and 100) and only 2 of each small rather than the slightly annoying 3 we have now.

User avatar
Thomas Carey
Devotee
Posts: 905
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:17 pm
Location: North-West of Bradford
Contact:

Re: Feature requests

Post by Thomas Carey » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:08 pm

Lockdown Junior, please.

Also, not sure if this would be any good, but Goatlette, Goatilops, and Spoilgoat?
(You may change the names if you wish.)
signature

User avatar
Charlie Reams
Site Admin
Posts: 9373
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:33 pm
Location: Cambridge
Contact:

Re: Feature requests

Post by Charlie Reams » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:18 pm

Thomas Carey wrote: (You may change the names if you wish.)
Thanks so much!

User avatar
Charlie Reams
Site Admin
Posts: 9373
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:33 pm
Location: Cambridge
Contact:

Re: Feature requests

Post by Charlie Reams » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:18 pm

Thomas Carey wrote: (You may change the names if you wish.)
Thanks so much!

User avatar
Rhys Benjamin
Kiloposter
Posts: 1883
Joined: Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:28 pm
Location: Down in the tube station at midnight
Contact:

Re: Feature requests

Post by Rhys Benjamin » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:19 pm

So good you had to say it twice.
The forum's resident JAILBAKER, who has SPONDERED several times...

User avatar
Thomas Carey
Devotee
Posts: 905
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:17 pm
Location: North-West of Bradford
Contact:

Re: Feature requests

Post by Thomas Carey » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:22 pm

Charlie Reams wrote:
Thomas Carey wrote: (You may change the names if you wish.)
Thanks so much!
Lol, still not sure if those three are a good idea or not.
Still, please give us Lockdown Junior. :)
signature

User avatar
Charlie Reams
Site Admin
Posts: 9373
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:33 pm
Location: Cambridge
Contact:

Re: Feature requests

Post by Charlie Reams » Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:13 pm

Thomas Carey wrote:Still, please give us Lockdown Junior. :)
17th of each month is New Variant Day. Will it be Lockdown Jnr? Tune in to find out!


(Yes.)

User avatar
Thomas Carey
Devotee
Posts: 905
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:17 pm
Location: North-West of Bradford
Contact:

Re: Feature requests

Post by Thomas Carey » Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:52 pm

Charlie Reams wrote:
Thomas Carey wrote:Still, please give us Lockdown Junior. :)
17th of each month is New Variant Day. Will it be Lockdown Jnr? Tune in to find out!


(Yes.)
Thanks, thought you just rolled new variants out whenever you could be bothered. Good system, that.
signature

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 7832
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 pm

Re: Feature requests

Post by Gavin Chipper » Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:31 pm

Charlie Reams wrote:17th of each month is New Variant Day.
Really? Where did that come from? Is this because you're so kooky and random? You'd get on with Sophie Krol!

User avatar
Charlie Reams
Site Admin
Posts: 9373
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:33 pm
Location: Cambridge
Contact:

Re: Feature requests

Post by Charlie Reams » Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:35 pm

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote:17th of each month is New Variant Day.
Really? Where did that come from? Is this because you're so kooky and random? You'd get on with Sophie Krol!
As of February, I decided it was a good way to remind myself to do stuff. (17 Feb is my birthday.)

User avatar
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 7232
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:27 pm
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Feature requests

Post by Matt Morrison » Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:43 pm

Charlie Reams wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote:17th of each month is New Variant Day.
Really? Where did that come from? Is this because you're so kooky and random? You'd get on with Sophie Krol!
As of February, I decided it was a good way to remind myself to do stuff. (17 Feb is my birthday.)
And my mum's, which I'm sure you haven't forgotten. If you like, you can remind yourself to do my mum. Would that help?

User avatar
Rhys Benjamin
Kiloposter
Posts: 1883
Joined: Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:28 pm
Location: Down in the tube station at midnight
Contact:

Re: Feature requests

Post by Rhys Benjamin » Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:47 pm

17 Jan is my mum's birthday.
The forum's resident JAILBAKER, who has SPONDERED several times...

Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General
Posts: 3661
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:18 pm

Re: Feature requests

Post by Ryan Taylor » Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:30 am

Your mum's a fucking whore!

User avatar
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 7232
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:27 pm
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Feature requests

Post by Matt Morrison » Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:06 am

Ryan Taylor wrote:Your mum's a fucking whore!
Me and Rhys aren't brothers. Further clarification required.

User avatar
Thomas Carey
Devotee
Posts: 905
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:17 pm
Location: North-West of Bradford
Contact:

Re: Feature requests

Post by Thomas Carey » Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:46 pm

What is the url (is there even one?) for the apterous podcast? When it disappears off the News thing it will be gone forever. Please change.
signature

User avatar
Ben Wilson
Legend
Posts: 3708
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:05 pm
Location: North Hykeham

Re: Feature requests

Post by Ben Wilson » Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:25 pm

Thomas Carey wrote:What is the url (is there even one?) for the apterous podcast? When it disappears off the News thing it will be gone forever. Please change.
Or make a new one. :)

User avatar
Thomas Carey
Devotee
Posts: 905
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:17 pm
Location: North-West of Bradford
Contact:

Re: Feature requests

Post by Thomas Carey » Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:01 am

Charlie Reams wrote:
Thomas Carey wrote:Still, please give us Lockdown Junior. :)
17th of each month is New Variant Day. Will it be Lockdown Jnr? Tune in to find out!


(Yes.)
So...
signature

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 7832
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 pm

Re: Feature requests

Post by Gavin Chipper » Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:11 pm

Since it ended up getting booted into another thread (by accident?) I'm going to repeat what was said here.
I think it would be a good idea to have a numbers only duel once a week (which can be any variant). It's probably come up before, but I'd probably have fewer conundrums in most of the duels. I find it a bit annoying when I think I'm doing quite well and then a conundrum comes along and can make or break (usually break) the whole thing. So I'd have no conundrums at all most of the time (certainly lots of the time anyway). I think you could polarise it a bit more so that you either have no conundrums or loads of them.
I think it would be generally good to have duels every so often that are quite specific in the skills they use, which might spread out the winners a bit more.

User avatar
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter
Posts: 1603
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:42 pm
Location: About 45 minutes south-east of Thibodaux, Louisiana

Re: Feature requests

Post by Adam Gillard » Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:01 pm

Lockdown Jnr in all the "Most multitalented" leaderboards please. (Basically I'm hoping to leapfrog Matthew for 15 minutes of fame at the top of the numberists leaderboard).
Mike Brown: "Round 12: T N R S A E I G U

C1: SIGNATURE (18) ["9; not written down"]
C2: SEATING (7)
Score: 108–16 (max 113)

Another niner for Adam and yet another century. Well done, that man."

User avatar
Rhys Benjamin
Kiloposter
Posts: 1883
Joined: Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:28 pm
Location: Down in the tube station at midnight
Contact:

Re: Feature requests

Post by Rhys Benjamin » Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:11 pm

Have we ever had a duel in Spoilage?
The forum's resident JAILBAKER, who has SPONDERED several times...

User avatar
Soph K
Devotee
Posts: 679
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:20 pm
Location: Lalaland

Re: Feature requests

Post by Soph K » Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:08 pm

Rhys Benjamin wrote:Have we ever had a duel in Spoilage?
i think so
One Direction are my life. <3
"The reason for life is to find out who you are"
"It always seems impossible until it's done" :)
Love loads of celebs to be honest... Might marry Nicky Maccy :P

User avatar
Rhys Benjamin
Kiloposter
Posts: 1883
Joined: Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:28 pm
Location: Down in the tube station at midnight
Contact:

Re: Feature requests

Post by Rhys Benjamin » Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:17 pm

Soph K wrote:
Rhys Benjamin wrote:Have we ever had a duel in Spoilage?
i think so
No we haven't.
The forum's resident JAILBAKER, who has SPONDERED several times...

User avatar
Rhys Benjamin
Kiloposter
Posts: 1883
Joined: Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:28 pm
Location: Down in the tube station at midnight
Contact:

Re: Feature requests

Post by Rhys Benjamin » Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:21 pm

How about a scoring variant where you multiply the number of letters by itself to get the points? (i.e. 1-letter-words score 1 point (cos 1 x 1 = 1), 2-letter words score 4 points (cos 2 x 2 = 4) etc.) This would encourage people to go for longer words to get a greater points differential and this would encourage mistakes! Especially if someone needs 81 points from a dodgy 9, pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis would be now worth 2,025 points! This is amazing!
The forum's resident JAILBAKER, who has SPONDERED several times...

User avatar
Mark James
Kiloposter
Posts: 1079
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:21 pm
Location: Dublin

Re: Feature requests

Post by Mark James » Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:40 pm

Rhys Benjamin wrote:
Soph K wrote:
Rhys Benjamin wrote:Have we ever had a duel in Spoilage?
i think so
No we haven't.
If you knew the answer why did you ask? That's really annoying. When I was in school someone asked me what class did we have next. I said "not sure, english I think" and then he said "no, its maths". wtf!

Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General
Posts: 3661
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:18 pm

Re: Feature requests

Post by Ryan Taylor » Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:48 pm

Mark James wrote:If you knew the answer why did you ask? That's really annoying. When I was in school someone asked me what class did we have next. I said "not sure, english I think" and then he said "no, its maths". wtf!
Ha, yep exactly. Although I was searching YouTube for a clip from Only Fools and Horses where Trigger says "why ask?". It's clearly not that famous a clip to get onto YouTube but it sticks in my memory as being quite funny!

User avatar
Soph K
Devotee
Posts: 679
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:20 pm
Location: Lalaland

Re: Feature requests

Post by Soph K » Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:52 pm

yeah totally agree with you both - wth rhys, why ask something you know the answer to? and dont say that you looked it up on apterous after you asked the question because i'd only say "why ask something then look it up when you already know you can look it up?" TBH its so dumb its funny lol. honestly...i worry about you sometimes! :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:
One Direction are my life. <3
"The reason for life is to find out who you are"
"It always seems impossible until it's done" :)
Love loads of celebs to be honest... Might marry Nicky Maccy :P

User avatar
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter
Posts: 1603
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:42 pm
Location: About 45 minutes south-east of Thibodaux, Louisiana

Re: Feature requests

Post by Adam Gillard » Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:59 pm

Soph K wrote:yeah totally agree with you both - wth rhys, why ask something you know the answer to? and dont say that you looked it up on apterous after you asked the question because i'd only say "why ask something then look it up when you already know you can look it up?" TBH its so dumb its funny lol. honestly...i worry about you sometimes! :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Like :lol:
Mike Brown: "Round 12: T N R S A E I G U

C1: SIGNATURE (18) ["9; not written down"]
C2: SEATING (7)
Score: 108–16 (max 113)

Another niner for Adam and yet another century. Well done, that man."

User avatar
Soph K
Devotee
Posts: 679
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:20 pm
Location: Lalaland

Re: Feature requests

Post by Soph K » Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:27 pm

Thank you very much! :D :lol: :lol: :D
lol
One Direction are my life. <3
"The reason for life is to find out who you are"
"It always seems impossible until it's done" :)
Love loads of celebs to be honest... Might marry Nicky Maccy :P

User avatar
Rhys Benjamin
Kiloposter
Posts: 1883
Joined: Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:28 pm
Location: Down in the tube station at midnight
Contact:

Re: Feature requests

Post by Rhys Benjamin » Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:56 am

Has ANYONE read the scoring request yet^?
The forum's resident JAILBAKER, who has SPONDERED several times...

User avatar
Joseph Krol
Kiloposter
Posts: 1063
Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:47 pm
Location: North-West of Bradford

Re: Feature requests

Post by Joseph Krol » Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:20 am

Rhys Benjamin wrote:Has ANYONE read the scoring request yet^?
I have, what is your idea for numbers and conundrums?
Image

User avatar
Rhys Benjamin
Kiloposter
Posts: 1883
Joined: Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:28 pm
Location: Down in the tube station at midnight
Contact:

Re: Feature requests

Post by Rhys Benjamin » Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:01 am

Stepdown x stepdown for nums and cons.

Let's take the first episode and rescore it under my scoring.

Round 1: 49 - 49
Round 2: 49 - 85
Round 3: 74 - 110
Round 4: 83 - 110
Round 5: 83 - 159
Round 6: 108 - 184
Round 7: 133 - 209
Round 8: 133 - 218
Round 9: 133 - 318.
The forum's resident JAILBAKER, who has SPONDERED several times...

User avatar
Mark James
Kiloposter
Posts: 1079
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:21 pm
Location: Dublin

Re: Feature requests

Post by Mark James » Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:09 pm

Rhys Benjamin wrote:Has ANYONE read the scoring request yet^?
Yes, It's awful. All it would do is give me another reason not to play spoilage.

User avatar
JimBentley
Legend
Posts: 2605
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:39 pm
Location: Redcar, UK
Contact:

Re: Feature requests

Post by JimBentley » Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:00 pm

Rhys Benjamin wrote:Has ANYONE read the scoring request yet^?
Yes, I read it but thought it was so stupid that you must have meant it as a joke. Now I realise you were being serious, I think it's probably your silliest idea yet (although competition in this area is pretty fierce).

Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General
Posts: 3661
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:18 pm

Re: Feature requests

Post by Ryan Taylor » Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:02 pm

Rhys Benjamin wrote:Has ANYONE read the scoring request yet^?
I thought the none-response from people kind of hinted what was collectively thought. It's fucking shit (as everyone else has said). There is absolutely no point to it whatsoever.

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 7832
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 pm

Re: Feature requests

Post by Gavin Chipper » Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:13 pm

Ryan Taylor wrote:
Rhys Benjamin wrote:Has ANYONE read the scoring request yet^?
I thought the none-response from people kind of hinted what was collectively thought. It's fucking shit (as everyone else has said). There is absolutely no point to it whatsoever.
It's the sort of scoring system I would expect to come from someone whose views on voting systems are likely to be suspect!!!

Matt Bayfield
Devotee
Posts: 529
Joined: Thu May 14, 2009 8:39 am
Location: Seated at a computer

Re: Feature requests

Post by Matt Bayfield » Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:09 am

Gavin Chipper wrote:I think it would be a good idea to have a numbers only duel once a week (which can be any variant). It's probably come up before, but I'd probably have fewer conundrums in most of the duels. I find it a bit annoying when I think I'm doing quite well and then a conundrum comes along and can make or break (usually break) the whole thing. So I'd have no conundrums at all most of the time (certainly lots of the time anyway). I think you could polarise it a bit more so that you either have no conundrums or loads of them.
Gev, I strongly disagree with everything quoted above. I would prefer most Duels to have a mix of L, N and C rounds, with only very occasional Conundrum Attacks, Numbers Attacks, or Letters Attacks. Although ultimately, regardless of what I'd personally enjoy the most, I would like the Duels to be the best compromise to please as many apterous users as possible. And considering that we had a survey on Duels a year or so ago, I imagine this goal is already satisfied, even though it's not perfectly tuned to a Numbers expert like yourself, or a Letters/Conundrum enthusiast like me.

As for there being too many Conundrums and not enough Numbers, Statland suggests that of the 6million+ rounds played on apterous, Letters rounds account for 58% of all rounds, and Numbers rounds and Conundrums each represent 21%. What I find interesting here is that the %ages for Numbers and Conundrums are the same. When you bear in mind that in the most popular format (a normal 15-rounder), the ratio of N:C is 3:1, then outside of 15-rounders, a lot of apterous users are going out of their way to play Conundrum-heavy formats rather than Numbers-heavy formats.

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 7832
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 pm

Re: Feature requests

Post by Gavin Chipper » Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:56 pm

Matt Bayfield wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote:I think it would be a good idea to have a numbers only duel once a week (which can be any variant). It's probably come up before, but I'd probably have fewer conundrums in most of the duels. I find it a bit annoying when I think I'm doing quite well and then a conundrum comes along and can make or break (usually break) the whole thing. So I'd have no conundrums at all most of the time (certainly lots of the time anyway). I think you could polarise it a bit more so that you either have no conundrums or loads of them.
Gev, I strongly disagree with everything quoted above. I would prefer most Duels to have a mix of L, N and C rounds, with only very occasional Conundrum Attacks, Numbers Attacks, or Letters Attacks. Although ultimately, regardless of what I'd personally enjoy the most, I would like the Duels to be the best compromise to please as many apterous users as possible. And considering that we had a survey on Duels a year or so ago, I imagine this goal is already satisfied, even though it's not perfectly tuned to a Numbers expert like yourself, or a Letters/Conundrum enthusiast like me.

As for there being too many Conundrums and not enough Numbers, Statland suggests that of the 6million+ rounds played on apterous, Letters rounds account for 58% of all rounds, and Numbers rounds and Conundrums each represent 21%. What I find interesting here is that the %ages for Numbers and Conundrums are the same. When you bear in mind that in the most popular format (a normal 15-rounder), the ratio of N:C is 3:1, then outside of 15-rounders, a lot of apterous users are going out of their way to play Conundrum-heavy formats rather than Numbers-heavy formats.
Although numbers is my preferred type of round, my point was meant to be more general than just "Have more numbers-based duels" and that we could have more duels that are heavily weighted in any direction rather than all duels being quite similar.

We have a duel every day, so I think it would be wrong to think we have to end up with a compromise every day so that most people are mildly pleased each day but have little variation. I'm sure everyone has their own preferences and I think you'd please more people by catering for these on some occasions even if most of the duels still are quite evenly distributed with LNC. I think more variation in the duels is better and it would also probably produce a bigger range of winners.

So yes, there needs to be compromise in the rounds we have, but I think that compromise can be spread across the duels rather than within each one. Having said that, I would only argue for a minority of duels to have just one type of round. Maybe once a fortnight even for all letters, all numbers and all conundrums, so 3 out of 14.

Matt Bayfield
Devotee
Posts: 529
Joined: Thu May 14, 2009 8:39 am
Location: Seated at a computer

Re: Feature requests

Post by Matt Bayfield » Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:08 pm

Ok, I agree with the principle of variation between Duels.

Where we differ in view is that I think we already have plenty of variation across time limits, number of rounds, and variants, as well as LNC permutations - and this is endorsed by the fact that we have quite a large range of winners - e.g. it's not just Innis & Kirk all the time. I also think one extremely Numbers-heavy Duel and one extremely Conundrum-heavy Duel per fortnight is way too much, and if anything this would reduce the number of different winners in the long run. Referring back to that statistic that 21% of rounds chosen to be played by users are N, 21% are C, and 58% are L, there should perhaps be three times as many Letters-heavy Duels as Numbers-heavy or Conundrum-heavy. So if we had e.g. one Letters Attack Duel per fortnight, I reckon there should only be one Conundrum Attack or Numbers Attack about every six weeks.

Basically, I think the current variation in the Duels is pretty good, and I would be reluctant to see it change.

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 7832
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 pm

Re: Feature requests

Post by Gavin Chipper » Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:44 pm

I think you could have comments allowed on more pages - e.g. duel results.

User avatar
Soph K
Devotee
Posts: 679
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:20 pm
Location: Lalaland

Re: Feature requests

Post by Soph K » Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:46 pm

Gavin Chipper wrote:I think you could have comments allowed on more pages - e.g. duel results.
forgive me if im being thick but i dont really know what you mean......? :oops:
One Direction are my life. <3
"The reason for life is to find out who you are"
"It always seems impossible until it's done" :)
Love loads of celebs to be honest... Might marry Nicky Maccy :P

User avatar
Ian Volante
Postmaster General
Posts: 3241
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:15 pm
Location: Edinburgh
Contact:

Re: Feature requests

Post by Ian Volante » Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:59 pm

Soph K wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote:I think you could have comments allowed on more pages - e.g. duel results.
forgive me if im being thick but i dont really know what you mean......? :oops:
I think what he would like is comments allowed on more pages.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles

User avatar
Soph K
Devotee
Posts: 679
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:20 pm
Location: Lalaland

Re: Feature requests

Post by Soph K » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:11 pm

Ian Volante wrote:
Soph K wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote:I think you could have comments allowed on more pages - e.g. duel results.
forgive me if im being thick but i dont really know what you mean......? :oops:
I think what he would like is comments allowed on more pages.
oh right. i think i get it.
One Direction are my life. <3
"The reason for life is to find out who you are"
"It always seems impossible until it's done" :)
Love loads of celebs to be honest... Might marry Nicky Maccy :P

User avatar
Charlie Reams
Site Admin
Posts: 9373
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:33 pm
Location: Cambridge
Contact:

Re: Feature requests

Post by Charlie Reams » Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:34 pm

Soph K wrote:"why ask something then look it up when you already know you can look it up?"
Image
Gavin Chipper wrote:I think you could have comments allowed on more pages - e.g. duel results.
Yeah it would be nice, unfortunately it's a reasonable amount of hassle to add it to different types of pages so I've focussed on the most popular ones.

User avatar
Soph K
Devotee
Posts: 679
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:20 pm
Location: Lalaland

Re: Feature requests

Post by Soph K » Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:18 pm

Charlie Reams wrote:
Soph K wrote:"why ask something then look it up when you already know you can look it up?"
Image
a-lol, i have to admit, that is quite funny! :D :) :lol: :roll:
One Direction are my life. <3
"The reason for life is to find out who you are"
"It always seems impossible until it's done" :)
Love loads of celebs to be honest... Might marry Nicky Maccy :P

User avatar
Thomas Carey
Devotee
Posts: 905
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:17 pm
Location: North-West of Bradford
Contact:

Re: Feature requests

Post by Thomas Carey » Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:35 pm

Rhys Benjamin wrote:How about a scoring variant where you multiply the number of letters by itself to get the points? (i.e. 1-letter-words score 1 point (cos 1 x 1 = 1), 2-letter words score 4 points (cos 2 x 2 = 4) etc.) This would encourage people to go for longer words to get a greater points differential and this would encourage mistakes! Especially if someone needs 81 points from a dodgy 9, pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis would be now worth 2,025 points! This is amazing!
I think this would actually be quite cool (i know i'm late, i've been on hoiday!) and if you don't want to play it, then don't! Actually this would be a great way to encourage mistakes :)
signature

User avatar
Steve Balog
Acolyte
Posts: 168
Joined: Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:18 am
Location: neither here nor there

Re: Feature requests

Post by Steve Balog » Mon May 02, 2011 3:11 am

I have a bit of a bizarre idea for a new format. It came to me when I caught one of those "[name] got a 9 from GANDISEEG, can you?" messages in chat and got the answer, but realised that if I didn't know there was a 9 I'd never have declared it from the selection.

It works just like a normal game, scoring and all but with one difference: There's an indicator on screen that, after the selection, tells you whether or not a 9 is possible with the selection. I definitely attack conundrums differently from typical letters, so that knowledge might cause a player to attack a letters set differently, for better or worse.

Numbers works similarly: The indicators, after the numbers are selected, tells you whether the target is exactly obtainable or not.

Conundrums are the same. No way to adapt this idea to those rounds.

I don't know, I might be drunk off my ass and this is a fucking idiotic idea (with coding issues, to boot) but I'd figure there's no harm in throwing it out there.
There are no such things as methods. Only madness.

User avatar
Soph K
Devotee
Posts: 679
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:20 pm
Location: Lalaland

Re: Feature requests

Post by Soph K » Mon May 02, 2011 8:26 am

Steve Balog wrote:I have a bit of a bizarre idea for a new format. It came to me when I caught one of those "[name] got a 9 from GANDISEEG, can you?" messages in chat and got the answer, but realised that if I didn't know there was a 9 I'd never have declared it from the selection.

It works just like a normal game, scoring and all but with one difference: There's an indicator on screen that, after the selection, tells you whether or not a 9 is possible with the selection. I definitely attack conundrums differently from typical letters, so that knowledge might cause a player to attack a letters set differently, for better or worse.

Numbers works similarly: The indicators, after the numbers are selected, tells you whether the target is exactly obtainable or not.

Conundrums are the same. No way to adapt this idea to those rounds.

I don't know, I might be drunk off my ass and this is a fucking idiotic idea (with coding issues, to boot) but I'd figure there's no harm in throwing it out there.
Not a bad idea actually. :)
One Direction are my life. <3
"The reason for life is to find out who you are"
"It always seems impossible until it's done" :)
Love loads of celebs to be honest... Might marry Nicky Maccy :P

User avatar
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja
Posts: 4137
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:45 am
Location: London, UK

Re: Feature requests

Post by Jon O'Neill » Mon May 02, 2011 9:02 am

Steve Balog wrote:I have a bit of a bizarre idea for a new format. It came to me when I caught one of those "[name] got a 9 from GANDISEEG, can you?" messages in chat and got the answer, but realised that if I didn't know there was a 9 I'd never have declared it from the selection.

It works just like a normal game, scoring and all but with one difference: There's an indicator on screen that, after the selection, tells you whether or not a 9 is possible with the selection. I definitely attack conundrums differently from typical letters, so that knowledge might cause a player to attack a letters set differently, for better or worse.

Numbers works similarly: The indicators, after the numbers are selected, tells you whether the target is exactly obtainable or not.

Conundrums are the same. No way to adapt this idea to those rounds.

I don't know, I might be drunk off my ass and this is a fucking idiotic idea (with coding issues, to boot) but I'd figure there's no harm in throwing it out there.
The %age of rounds where there is actually a 9 being what it is might make this a little redundant though because it's so similar to the regular format.

However, it does give rise to an idea that may have been mentioned already on here.. that you get told the max as soon as the ninth letter appears, and then conundrum rules take over with the first person getting a word of that length winning the round.

User avatar
Charlie Reams
Site Admin
Posts: 9373
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:33 pm
Location: Cambridge
Contact:

Re: Feature requests

Post by Charlie Reams » Mon May 02, 2011 10:37 am

Jon O'Neill wrote:
Steve Balog wrote:I have a bit of a bizarre idea for a new format. It came to me when I caught one of those "[name] got a 9 from GANDISEEG, can you?" messages in chat and got the answer, but realised that if I didn't know there was a 9 I'd never have declared it from the selection.

It works just like a normal game, scoring and all but with one difference: There's an indicator on screen that, after the selection, tells you whether or not a 9 is possible with the selection. I definitely attack conundrums differently from typical letters, so that knowledge might cause a player to attack a letters set differently, for better or worse.

Numbers works similarly: The indicators, after the numbers are selected, tells you whether the target is exactly obtainable or not.

Conundrums are the same. No way to adapt this idea to those rounds.

I don't know, I might be drunk off my ass and this is a fucking idiotic idea (with coding issues, to boot) but I'd figure there's no harm in throwing it out there.
The %age of rounds where there is actually a 9 being what it is might make this a little redundant though because it's so similar to the regular format.

However, it does give rise to an idea that may have been mentioned already on here.. that you get told the max as soon as the ninth letter appears, and then conundrum rules take over with the first person getting a word of that length winning the round.
Yeah I still like this idea, but it would be pretty difficult to actually implement.

User avatar
Thomas Carey
Devotee
Posts: 905
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:17 pm
Location: North-West of Bradford
Contact:

Re: Feature requests

Post by Thomas Carey » Mon May 02, 2011 11:16 am

I have an idea for a letters (maybe you could join it on to Nasty Letters) where each letter has an equal chance of appearing and there is no limit to how many of each letter come out. (Obviously you can still pick vowels and consonants.)

Also: Touchbling?
EDIT: Touchblind!
signature

User avatar
Soph K
Devotee
Posts: 679
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:20 pm
Location: Lalaland

Re: Feature requests

Post by Soph K » Mon May 02, 2011 12:12 pm

Thomas Carey wrote:I have an idea for a letters (maybe you could join it on to Nasty Letters) where each letter has an equal chance of appearing and there is no limit to how many of each letter come out. (Obviously you can still pick vowels and consonants.)

Also: Touchbling?
EDIT: Touchblind!
Touchbling and touchblind, how would they work? (Or did you just mean Touchblind, not Touchbling?)
One Direction are my life. <3
"The reason for life is to find out who you are"
"It always seems impossible until it's done" :)
Love loads of celebs to be honest... Might marry Nicky Maccy :P

User avatar
Charlie Reams
Site Admin
Posts: 9373
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:33 pm
Location: Cambridge
Contact:

Re: Feature requests

Post by Charlie Reams » Mon May 02, 2011 12:27 pm

Thomas Carey wrote:I have an idea for a letters (maybe you could join it on to Nasty Letters) where each letter has an equal chance of appearing and there is no limit to how many of each letter come out. (Obviously you can still pick vowels and consonants.)
That's pretty much the case with Touchdown already, there's a slightly greater weight on the nice letters just to make it interesting but the distribution is pretty flat overall.

User avatar
Thomas Carey
Devotee
Posts: 905
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:17 pm
Location: North-West of Bradford
Contact:

Re: Feature requests

Post by Thomas Carey » Mon May 02, 2011 1:55 pm

Soph K wrote:
Thomas Carey wrote:I have an idea for a letters (maybe you could join it on to Nasty Letters) where each letter has an equal chance of appearing and there is no limit to how many of each letter come out. (Obviously you can still pick vowels and consonants.)

Also: Touchbling?
EDIT: Touchblind!
Touchbling and touchblind, how would they work? (Or did you just mean Touchblind, not Touchbling?)
Yes, I just meant touchblind. (Touchbling was a typo)
signature

User avatar
Soph K
Devotee
Posts: 679
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:20 pm
Location: Lalaland

Re: Feature requests

Post by Soph K » Mon May 02, 2011 3:04 pm

Thomas Carey wrote:
Soph K wrote:
Thomas Carey wrote:I have an idea for a letters (maybe you could join it on to Nasty Letters) where each letter has an equal chance of appearing and there is no limit to how many of each letter come out. (Obviously you can still pick vowels and consonants.)

Also: Touchbling?
EDIT: Touchblind!
Touchbling and touchblind, how would they work? (Or did you just mean Touchblind, not Touchbling?)
Yes, I just meant touchblind. (Touchbling was a typo)
Right, well how would Touchblind work? What is it cross between? Touchdown and...?
One Direction are my life. <3
"The reason for life is to find out who you are"
"It always seems impossible until it's done" :)
Love loads of celebs to be honest... Might marry Nicky Maccy :P

User avatar
Thomas Carey
Devotee
Posts: 905
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:17 pm
Location: North-West of Bradford
Contact:

Re: Feature requests

Post by Thomas Carey » Mon May 02, 2011 3:10 pm

Err... blind? :roll:
signature

User avatar
Soph K
Devotee
Posts: 679
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:20 pm
Location: Lalaland

Re: Feature requests

Post by Soph K » Mon May 02, 2011 5:00 pm

Thomas Carey wrote:Err... blind? :roll:
lol course but what is blind???
One Direction are my life. <3
"The reason for life is to find out who you are"
"It always seems impossible until it's done" :)
Love loads of celebs to be honest... Might marry Nicky Maccy :P

Locked

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests