Feature requests

Official forum of apterous.org, the website which allows you to play against other people over the Internet.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Re: Feature requests

Post by Charlie Reams »

Steve Balog wrote:This game is a good example of why I think conundrums need to be "unrated" for the first few times they show up instead of defaulted to 2/10 -- honestly if I were facing a crucial and it was some word I've never heard of that was just added to the list, it'd be a major buzzkill. This was just in a recent duel and a total of 2 people got it, one of which looks like a "hell with it I have one second left let's just guess" solve.

Add that easier (1-3/10) conundrums are more likely in games against newer or lower rated players and you can see where a couple of these types of endings to close games can turn potential new players away.
Just one of those things. If you want difficulty ratings then you have to gather some data. Failing to solve a conundrum isn't such a terrible thing.
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter
Location: About 45 minutes south-east of Thibodaux, Louisiana

Post by Adam Gillard »

Charlie Reams wrote:Failing to solve a conundrum isn't such a terrible thing.
Oh really Charlie? Is that the case? (I don't believe you).
Mike Brown: "Round 12: T N R S A E I G U

C1: SIGNATURE (18) ["9; not written down"]
C2: SEATING (7)
Score: 108–16 (max 113)

Another niner for Adam and yet another century. Well done, that man."
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Adam Gillard wrote:
I don't like how heavily I feature in these links.
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter

Post by Adam Gillard »

Ryan Taylor wrote:
Adam Gillard wrote:
I don't like how heavily I feature in these links.
Just shows how many times you've scored 19 in a CA since the antepenultimate link. To be honest I just remembered your ENDOPHORM* debacle and saw the other 19/20s when I was looking for it. Also looked up Nguyen, Bevins, me and Reams for 19/20 CAs. I'm sure there are plenty from other players too, but 11 links (4 of which were Charlie) was more than enough to make my point.

Jennifer Steadman
Kiloposter

Post by Jennifer Steadman »

I saw there was some chat about a Latin apterous variant ages ago - is this still an unlikely prospect? It's the only foreign language I might actually have a chance with! (My GCSE-level French doesn't really stand up to scrutiny...)
"There's leaders, and there's followers, but I'd rather be a dick than a swallower" - Aristotle
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Jennifer Steadman wrote:I saw there was some chat about a Latin apterous variant ages ago - is this still an unlikely prospect? It's the only foreign language I might actually have a chance with! (My GCSE-level French doesn't really stand up to scrutiny...)
'Fraid so, the lexicon is just unmanageably huge.
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

How about a no E's variant, which can help you to hone all those good Countdown words like APORIA and RATOON and AUDITOR and CAT and DOG and the like. Maybe just make it a practice option.
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
He may not be liked on here, but you have to give some credit to Mark
Innis Carson
Devotee

Post by Innis Carson »

Is there a way to disable e-mail notifications now that the new notification system is in place?
Thomas Carey
Kiloposter

Post by Thomas Carey »

How about being able to see the pencils that a user has gained without them having to have Superstats?
cheers maus
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Innis Carson wrote:Is there a way to disable e-mail notifications now that the new notification system is in place?
This isn't a problem for most people. You should stop being so damn good!
Dan Abrey
Rookie

Post by Dan Abrey »

Mark Deeks wrote:How about a no E's variant, which can help you to hone all those good Countdown words like APORIA and RATOON and AUDITOR and CAT and DOG and the like. Maybe just make it a practice option.
^^ I like this.
Steve Balog
Acolyte

Post by Steve Balog »

You probably saw this coming.... but Octorock star path. Needs some sort of Legend of Zelda-ish name, though.
There are no such things as methods. Only madness.
Hugh Binnie
Enthusiast

Post by Hugh Binnie »

Format request: bullet unlimited jr (letters attack). :D
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Hugh Binnie wrote:Format request: bullet unlimited jr (letters attack). :D
Go ahead! If you can get enough other people to play it then I'll add it as a recognised format.
Hugh Binnie
Enthusiast

Post by Hugh Binnie »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Hugh Binnie wrote:Format request: bullet unlimited jr (letters attack). :D
Go ahead! If you can get enough other people to play it then I'll add it as a recognised format.
Other people? Hmm, I suppose one game against Adam probably doesn't count as enough.... Could be a bit of a stuggle.
Liam Tiernan
Devotee

Post by Liam Tiernan »

Steve Balog wrote:You probably saw this coming.... but Octorock star path. Needs some sort of Legend of Zelda-ish name, though.
The Octopus's Odyssey?
Steve Balog
Acolyte

Post by Steve Balog »

There are no such things as methods. Only madness.
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

I don't like using the notes section for numbers games and was wondering if the calculator thing could come up immediately if I press end round early even against human opposition?
Liam Tiernan
Devotee

Post by Liam Tiernan »

Steve Balog wrote:Link's Adventure
Lacks Alliteration.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Mark James wrote:I don't like using the notes section for numbers games and was wondering if the calculator thing could come up immediately if I press end round early even against human opposition?
This is one of those things which would be surprisingly difficult to do, so it's unlikely to happen.
Dan Abrey wrote:Customizable notification emails?
Innis Carson wrote:Is there a way to disable e-mail notifications now that the new notification system is in place?
We definitely need something like this. I'm still figuring out exactly how it would work.
Mark James wrote:On the game archive pages could the players ratings be what they were at the start of the game instead of after the game?
Gevin Chipper wrote: I've been thinking the same, except that it could be both rather than simply before or after.

Also, is there a way to see someone's Prorank position from their profile page? If not, that would be pretty good.
Will do.
Thomas Carey wrote:Mixed Top Dog (so letters, numbers and cons in the same game?)
Maybe, I'll look into whether this would be difficult for some reason.
Ben Wilson wrote: I've long since thought the nasty conundrums should have something like a 'bag of gravel' for spots that are plurals and 'a piece of neutronium' or something or other for too-hard-for diamond conundrums. Also because it's annoying getting great spots like that and not having a reward for it (I think dogfight doesn't award you stones either, can't remember for sure).
Seems reasonable.
Ryan Taylor wrote:Bash rooms for other languages?
Does anyone really want this? It seems like non-English play is already a minority pursuit without fragmenting it further.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Ryan Taylor wrote:Bash rooms for other languages?
Does anyone really want this? It seems like non-English play is already a minority pursuit without fragmenting it further.
I should say this was just me thinking out loud. I don't actually play any of the foreign variants at all but what I think (when I suggested this) I had in mind was wanting to be able to play apterous in a language that I couldn't speak just by solely learning foreign words as strings of letters.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Sounds like some good stuff going on with Apterous. Keep up the good work!

Also, with top numbers players, it has overall top players as well as for individual selections (6 small, 1 large etc.) but the overall top player section just averages across all your games, so looks better for players who stick to easier selections. So I think it would be good to have a top numbers player section that has a specific weight for each selection so you can't bias your figures by playing more of one type. It could just be equal weighting - it would just look at your percentage max for all types of selection and average these. Obviously not many people would play enough of each selection to be included so you could drop the round requirement slightly (although I imagine you'd be reluctant to do this). If you say a player needs at least 20 of each selection in the last 30 days, it's still at least 100 rounds overall, so I think you could get some interesting stats from that.
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Mark James wrote:I don't like using the notes section for numbers games and was wondering if the calculator thing could come up immediately if I press end round early even against human opposition?
This is one of those things which would be surprisingly difficult to do, so it's unlikely to happen.
Ah. Ok. Cheers.
Charlie Reams wrote:
Mark James wrote:On the game archive pages could the players ratings be what they were at the start of the game instead of after the game?
Gevin Chipper wrote: I've been thinking the same, except that it could be both rather than simply before or after.

Also, is there a way to see someone's Prorank position from their profile page? If not, that would be pretty good.
Will do.
Cheers
Ben Wilson wrote: I've long since thought the nasty conundrums should have something like a 'bag of gravel' for spots that are plurals and 'a piece of neutronium' or something or other for too-hard-for diamond conundrums.
I wouldn't mind getting a piece of Lonsdaleite.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Mark James wrote:[I wouldn't mind getting a piece of Lonsdaleite.
What about an aggregated diamond nanorod?
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

I still think that your duel points should be based on your percentile rank rather than total-number-of-entrants-plus-one minus your position. It could start at the beginning of a month so it wouldn't damage a championship thing.
Matt Bayfield
Devotee

Post by Matt Bayfield »

One disadvantage of that, Gev, is that on the rare days when apterous is down for a considerable period of time, and only 20-odd people can enter, it gives a huge advantage to the few who are are able to log on and play the Duel, as they'd score up to an extra 80 points. Plus, although your scoring system might be mathematically neat in terms of the monthly max being divisible by 100, I don't think it would make any significant difference to the order in which players finish in the monthly standings (except when there's been an apterous-down day). As one of the few people who try to do the Duel every day, I wouldn't feel either advantaged or disadvantaged by a change to your system.

How about a compromise - take the percentile rank, as you suggest, but then multiply it by the number of entrants divided by 100? ;-)
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Matt Bayfield wrote:One disadvantage of that, Gev, is that on the rare days when apterous is down for a considerable period of time, and only 20-odd people can enter, it gives a huge advantage to the few who are are able to log on and play the Duel, as they'd score up to an extra 80 points. Plus, although your scoring system might be mathematically neat in terms of the monthly max being divisible by 100, I don't think it would make any significant difference to the order in which players finish in the monthly standings (except when there's been an apterous-down day). As one of the few people who try to do the Duel every day, I wouldn't feel either advantaged or disadvantaged by a change to your system.

How about a compromise - take the percentile rank, as you suggest, but then multiply it by the number of entrants divided by 100? ;-)
I wouldn't necessarily just use the percentile rank but would base it on it. I suggested before it could be (number of entrants plus one) / (your position), rather than 100 - (100 * (your position) / (number of entrants plus one)) which I consider to be the "proper" way of working out percentiles. Instead of the scores beng linear, you'd be rewarded more for high positions. A win would be worth two seconds, three thirds etc.

I don't play the duel that often these days, but if I did, I don't think I would necessarily feel advantaged or disadvantaged, but to me it seems a more aesthetically pleasing way to do it.

Also I'm not sure I'd base the scoring system on what might happen when Apterous goes down! Edit - although the (entrants + 1) / (position) would work quite well for that as the winner would basically get double the points if there are twice as many entrants (same as now).
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter

Post by Adam Gillard »

1) Seeing as you can see all your PBs by starting a game in the format, could you make this information available on a person's user page? It doesn't have to be as detailed as 'Format breakdown' on Superstats; just 'Format' and 'Top score' as this information is already available to non-Superstatters but is fiddly to get to (at the present time I can only see my highest scores from the last 30 days on my 'Format' tab).

2) Fastest foreign conundrums / conundrum attacks. Counting CSW as foreign here too.

Edit: 3) Also, is there any particular reason why there's no Nasty Nums 9 rounder?

4) You also mentioned ages ago that you were going to make 'blitz' formats in lots of variants. Is this still a possibility?

Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Adam Gillard wrote:1) Seeing as you can see all your PBs by starting a game in the format, could you make this information available on a person's user page? It doesn't have to be as detailed as 'Format breakdown' on Superstats; just 'Format' and 'Top score' as this information is already available to non-Superstatters but is fiddly to get to (at the present time I can only see my highest scores from the last 30 days on my 'Format' tab).
It's quite an expensive query to generate the high score for every format all at once. For an individual format it's not too bad, but multiply that by the 150-odd formats and it just crushes the database. That's the kind of thing that Superstats is for.
2) Fastest foreign conundrums / conundrum attacks. Counting CSW as foreign here too.
Sure.
Edit: 3) Also, is there any particular reason why there's no Nasty Nums 9 rounder?
Hmm, nope. Will fix.
4) You also mentioned ages ago that you were going to make 'blitz' formats in lots of variants. Is this still a possibility?
I think I'll roll these out more slowly but yes, I should get back to that.
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter

Post by Adam Gillard »

Charlie Reams wrote:It's quite an expensive query to generate the high score for every format all at once. For an individual format it's not too bad, but multiply that by the 150-odd formats and it just crushes the database. That's the kind of thing that Superstats is for.
Ah I understand now, thanks.
I wrote:2) Fastest foreign conundrums / conundrum attacks. Counting CSW as foreign here too.
Sure.
Thanks.
I wrote:Edit: 3) Also, is there any particular reason why there's no Nasty Nums 9 rounder?
Hmm, nope. Will fix.
Thanks.
I wrote:4) You also mentioned ages ago that you were going to make 'blitz' formats in lots of variants. Is this still a possibility?
I think I'll roll these out more slowly but yes, I should get back to that.
Thanks.

Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Similar to previous cries for 'letters games with guaranteed nines', can we have a conundrum attack variant but allowing multiple answers, as in you get told how many anagrams there are at the start of the round and have to solve them all within the time limit, maybe scoring a percentage of the available points for each one you get correct?

Or as it's better know to long-time Reams Productions fans, anahack?
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Octorock numbers difficulty please. I'm thinking that 1 large is best for this variant, but I have no evidence.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Ian Volante wrote:Octorock numbers difficulty please. I'm thinking that 1 large is best for this variant, but I have no evidence.
Yes, this would be interesting although unlike Ian, I'm pretty convinced that 2 large is best for maximising the max score (if that makes any sense).
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Post by JackHurst »

Please can we have an option within the Words using... box to filter by length, and for it to show all possible results when you are filtering by length?
Julie T
Kiloposter

Post by Julie T »

More variants given star chart paths, please! :D

I love doing these, and I've got enough stars to start another path.
However, I'm only left with blind, speedgoat and conundrum paths, none of which variants I enjoy.
"My idea of an agreeable person is a person who agrees with me." Benjamin Disraeli
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Julie T wrote:More variants given star chart paths, please! :D

However, I'm only left with blind, speedgoat and conundrum paths, none of which variants I enjoy.
I'd say give them a go anyway, Julie; I didn't like Blind at all until I started playing the star path and found myself getting really into it for some reason (that said, I'm still completely useless at it and forget the letters halfway through, but it's fun).
Julie T
Kiloposter

Post by Julie T »

JimBentley wrote:
Julie T wrote:More variants given star chart paths, please! :D

I'd say give them a go anyway, Julie; I didn't like Blind at all until I started playing the star path and found myself getting really into it for some reason (that said, I'm still completely useless at it and forget the letters halfway through, but it's fun).
Thanks for the advice, Jim, but there's an Octorock path now! :D
Thanks, Charlie, or whoever created it. :)
"My idea of an agreeable person is a person who agrees with me." Benjamin Disraeli
Phil Collinge
Acolyte

Post by Phil Collinge »

Not sure how easy this lot would be to implement but I've saved a few up.

Most Offered / Most Missed Pages - Would it be possible to add drop-down boxes to these pages where you could select a specific period of time (+ maybe variant and length)? Over time these lists become cluttered with words you may have offered/missed quite a lot a couple of years ago but not so much (or at all) recently.
Same with disallowed I guess although this page is currently on holiday.

Recent Games - As above, if you want to look through your previous games (other than the last 25) there doesn’t seem to be a quicker way than looking at each individual day, then searching for your own name amongst the hundreds of games. Could a drop-down box be added somewhere that would allow your games from a specific period of time to be searched?

8s Offered - This will be an incredibly unwieldy list for some but I was trying to find a quick way of looking back over 8s I’ve offered where 9s were available and couldn’t find a quicker way than trawling through each and every game.

Duel History - On this page you can track your results per day but not by month. Could a page be added that gives a monthly summary with position and link to final table? (only top 30 seems to be available to re-visit - or at least it was - now saying admin only).

Pro-Ranks - Would be nice to see progression on a graph as you have with rating. Would sit nicely here.
Maybe final monthly duel positions could be graphed aswell?
Last edited by Phil Collinge on Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Phil Collinge wrote:Duel History - On this page you can track your results per day but not by month. Could a page be added that gives a monthly summary with position and link to final table? (only top 30 seems to be available to re-visit - or at least it was - now saying admin only).
With duel history it says "me" even if you're viewing someone else's results.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

On the Goat variant record pages, I think it would be good to have the metamax listed in all the lists, not just where it is a list of the highest metamaxes. Perhaps also there could be a list of meta-perfect games as well as perfect games (which would become games with most meta-maxes where there is no single meta-perfect game).
Jennifer Steadman
Kiloposter

Post by Jennifer Steadman »

I don't know if this is already lurking somewhere in the Leaderboards/Facts and Figures, but if not, it would be interesting to see which players have gained the most pencils in the last 30 days - maybe a table of total pencils with side-columns saying how many normal/silver/bronze were gained?
"There's leaders, and there's followers, but I'd rather be a dick than a swallower" - Aristotle
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Jennifer Steadman wrote:I don't know if this is already lurking somewhere in the Leaderboards/Facts and Figures, but if not, it would be interesting to see which players have gained the most pencils in the last 30 days - maybe a table of total pencils with side-columns saying how many normal/silver/bronze were gained?
There is a link that automatically goes to the user page of the person who has won the most pencils in the last 30 days, although doesn't give a full ranking - http://apterous.org/mostpencilsinlast30days
Thomas Carey
Kiloposter

Post by Thomas Carey »

Landmark requests:

First 9
First normal-variant 9
First non-English 9
cheers maus
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

On a player's profile in the game, could it show their Pro Rank, so you know who you can beat to achieve that landmark?
The forum's resident JAILBAKER, who has SPONDERED several times...
Matt Bayfield
Devotee

Post by Matt Bayfield »

Gavin Chipper wrote:There is a link that automatically goes to the user page of the person who has won the most pencils in the last 30 days, although doesn't give a full ranking - http://apterous.org/mostpencilsinlast30days
Where's the "Like" button gone? I'm touched, I didn't think anyone ever noticed my pencil spam in chat... ;-)
Philip Jarvis
Enthusiast

Post by Philip Jarvis »

Landmark - most players haven't managed to get a total max game in the normal 15 rounder (myself included). How about landmarks for 1st 10, 11, 12, 13 and 14 max games?
"It's KNACKERED Nick!"
James Bradley
Rookie

Post by James Bradley »

This may have been mentioned before but how about a who's online feature on the front page. :)
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

James Bradley wrote:This may have been mentioned before but how about a who's online feature on the front page. :)
?? The answer to that question is one click away.
Thomas Carey
Kiloposter

Post by Thomas Carey »

How about a statland list of the most frequently occuring (as a max) words that haven't been pencilled?
cheers maus
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Thomas Carey wrote:How about a statland list of the most frequently occuring (as a max) words that haven't been pencilled?
Hmm, the code for this already exists somewhere. I wonder where it went.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Mark James wrote:
James Bradley wrote:This may have been mentioned before but how about a who's online feature on the front page. :)
It's like jumping into a swimming pool to find out who's in there.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Mark James wrote:
It's like jumping into a swimming pool to find out who's in there.
Haha. AND WHAT'S WRONG WITH THAT?!

I think it's a No to this feature, just because the front page is already quite cramped and it's easy enough to find out the same information elsewhere. Sorry JB.
Hugh Binnie
Enthusiast

Post by Hugh Binnie »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Thomas Carey wrote:How about a statland list of the most frequently occuring (as a max) words that haven't been pencilled?
Is that what "on holiday" means? That you've lost it? :o
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Hugh Binnie wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote:
Is that what "on holiday" means? That you've lost it? :o
Ha, fortunately not. Usually on holiday means that the page was broken or too slow to generate (probably more than 30 minutes) and I haven't yet come up with a better way to do it.
Nik Mackintosh

Post by Nik Mackintosh »

How about a Swedish variant? :)
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Nik Mackintosh wrote:How about a Swedish variant? :)
Suggest it to Charlie via Private Massage.
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter

Post by Adam Gillard »

Charlie Reams wrote:
We definitely need something like this. I'm still figuring out exactly how it would work.
How about you just stop all email notifications until you figure it out? I don't like all these unsolicited emails, but I also don't want to add apterous to my spam list.

Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

Could we have a variant where the minimum vowel limit is two instead of three? Maybe incorporate it in to the nasty variant?
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

Innis's idea for Nasty Letters was to work in the No E's idea that I mentioned a few posts back. I think it's a good idea, as, as of right now, nasty letters are no different.
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
He may not be liked on here, but you have to give some credit to Mark
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Mark Deeks wrote:Innis's idea for Nasty Letters was to work in the No E's idea that I mentioned a few posts back. I think it's a good idea, as, as of right now, nasty letters are no different.
The problem with that is that it would make the current high scores for any Nasty format with letters basically invincible.