Feature requests

Official forum of apterous.org, the website which allows you to play against other people over the Internet.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Re: Feature requests

Post by Ryan Taylor »

When apterous is down for a bit of time there should be a webcam set up on the page so we can watch you at work, preferably sweating (and in pyjamas).
James Hall
Acolyte

Post by James Hall »

How about for conundrum-worthy 9s they have their difficulty listed on Lexplorer?
__
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Since Prune gets virtually nothing anyway, and people play him to get a free run at points, would it be better just to have him get absolutely nothing? He got a conundrum against me the other day, which I found slightly irritating.
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

Gavin Chipper wrote:Since Prune gets virtually nothing anyway, and people play him to get a free run at points, would it be better just to have him get absolutely nothing? He got a conundrum against me the other day, which I found slightly irritating.
I want Prune to get more stuff, like stupidly easy numbers games (like 100 + 1)
The forum's resident JAILBAKER, who has SPONDERED several times...
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Gavin Chipper wrote:Since Prune gets virtually nothing anyway, and people play him to get a free run at points, would it be better just to have him get absolutely nothing? He got a conundrum against me the other day, which I found slightly irritating.
He gets about 1 in 20,000 conundrums. Sucks to be you!
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Charlie Reams wrote:
I think it was in Junior if that makes a difference.
Joseph Krol
Kiloposter

Post by Joseph Krol »

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote:
I think it was in Junior if that makes a difference.
I think prune gets a junior conundrum relatively often, but it's not really a commonplace occurrence.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Can we have the ability to save custom formats such as 100-rounders or equally mad stuff somewhere so we don't have to waste hours clicking on the boxes in the custom menu? On a related note, can there be a 'favourites' section on the drop-down that most played/specified formats can be added to for ease of access?
Oliver Garner
Series 62 Champion

Post by Oliver Garner »

Just a random request RE the forum for apterous. The feature request thread has been of a similar length to the bug reports thread for all the last 2 1/2 years. A graph comparing their growth would be kinda cool.
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter
Location: About 45 minutes south-east of Thibodaux, Louisiana

Post by Adam Gillard »

Ychwanegwch y Gymraeg i'r brig ystadegau amlieithog chwaraewyr gorau, meistri llythyrau a meistri bosau
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Charlie Reams wrote:I've thought about doing something like this before and just never gotten around to it (it would be major hassle to rescore all the old games). Also I've thought for a while that the high scores should be based on raw score rather than actual score, since that way people would be encouraged to play each other more and pound Prune less (which I imagine gets a bit dull). But I dunno if people would be confused to click through from a high score to see a game with a lower score. Hmm.
Even without rescoring old games, I think it would be pretty cool if it worked it out for each scoring system from now on. And if it's part of the game page, it could calculate it automatically whenever you click on an old game and dump it in with the records.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote:I've thought about doing something like this before and just never gotten around to it (it would be major hassle to rescore all the old games). Also I've thought for a while that the high scores should be based on raw score rather than actual score, since that way people would be encouraged to play each other more and pound Prune less (which I imagine gets a bit dull). But I dunno if people would be confused to click through from a high score to see a game with a lower score. Hmm.
Even without rescoring old games, I think it would be pretty cool if it worked it out for each scoring system from now on. And if it's part of the game page, it could calculate it automatically whenever you click on an old game and dump it in with the records.
Still planning to do this, yep.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Is there a reason why you can't input non-existent letters for conundrums? I had a conundrum where the answer was WEEKENDED and I saw it as WEEKENDER, so it didn't let me type the final R. So if I'd been more on the ball, I could have blagged that, although I would have been watching out for Corby-shaped shadows for the rest of my life. But anyway, I think it makes it easier to blag conundrums as it is now.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Gavin Chipper wrote:Is there a reason why you can't input non-existent letters for conundrums? I had a conundrum where the answer was WEEKENDED and I saw it as WEEKENDER, so it didn't let me type the final R. So if I'd been more on the ball, I could have blagged that, although I would have been watching out for Corby-shaped shadows for the rest of my life. But anyway, I think it makes it easier to blag conundrums as it is now.
Just a thing where the reality of a keyboard gets in the way. It makes typos much less likely at the expense of allowing a very occasional blag. Now the letters get hidden it's also that much harder to blag.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote:Is there a reason why you can't input non-existent letters for conundrums? I had a conundrum where the answer was WEEKENDED and I saw it as WEEKENDER, so it didn't let me type the final R. So if I'd been more on the ball, I could have blagged that, although I would have been watching out for Corby-shaped shadows for the rest of my life. But anyway, I think it makes it easier to blag conundrums as it is now.
Just a thing where the reality of a keyboard gets in the way. It makes typos much less likely at the expense of allowing a very occasional blag. Now the letters get hidden it's also that much harder to blag.
OK, cheers - I thought it might have been to stop GANDISEEG.
Matt Bayfield
Devotee

Post by Matt Bayfield »

If I could briefly interrupt the discussion of rude words with a (non-critical) feature request:

Charlie, perhaps this List of Completed Ascensions could be restricted only to each player's first Ascension, i.e. their only Ascension of the full 9060 metres? Now that the list contains subsequent Ascensions from Giles and I (over increasingly shorter climbs since the Ascension rules were changed), the tables look a bit odd. Plus the page doesn't recognise as clearly, Giles' incredible achievement of climbing the whole damn thing in 12 days.

Ok, as you all were, you *****rs!
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

This isn't a feature request really, just a question about the new lockdown variant. Didn't know where else to put it. In a numbers game I played, 10 was the red number and I subtracted 9 to get 1. 1 was already a number in the selection of six, so now there are two 1s. Will the game know if I use the wrong 1, so to speak, i.e. the one I didn't get by using the 10?
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Mark James wrote:This isn't a feature request really, just a question about the new lockdown variant. Didn't know where else to put it. In a numbers game I played, 10 was the red number and I subtracted 9 to get 1. 1 was already a number in the selection of six, so now there are two 1s. Will the game know if I use the wrong 1, so to speak, i.e. the one I didn't get by using the 10?
It doesn't mind which one you click on.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Goatlock? And other similar extensions.

Would the picked letter also be locked? If so, this removes the occasional tactic of picking a bum ninth letter when there's already an eight.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Ian Volante wrote:Goatlock? And other similar extensions.
Patience, sir.
Would the picked letter also be locked? If so, this removes the occasional tactic of picking a bum ninth letter when there's already an eight.
Probably not. It would be much too easy to pick a Q/J/X when in front to squash the max.
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter

Post by Adam Gillard »

Ben Hunter wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote:Don't forget Apterous Hunter who cheats outrageously for the first 6 months but then goes clean.
A bit like a politically-correct Apterous Sponge.
James Nguyen is Apterous Sponge 2.0. Sponge-a-licious 8-)
Paul Howe
Kiloposter

Post by Paul Howe »

I'd enjoy an ordered list of "best" goatpicks on superstats. Could work something like the top 100 words that a person picked (and spotted! perhaps as a max) ordered by the percent rarity on lexplorer.
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

Could a person's tournament's be added to their user page like the ratings thing?
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Hey Reams you dickhead, how about this?
Matt Morrison wrote:Classic Players shouldn't be clickable either - unless it causes a new Classic Player tab to pop up with links to all their games to play or something (cool idea).
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

I can see my name. I can see the status buttons. These are both excellent! Also the green/grey activates on the player list - which should definitely be enough to be easily aware of your own status without needing to affect any changes to the button colours.

But I can't see the changes to player links as suggested above. You utter prick.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Matt Morrison wrote: But I can't see the changes to player links as suggested above. You utter prick.
That's why this thread is called Feature REQUESTS (is that enough formatting for you, ART BOY???). Now go drop your trousers in front of a teenage girl or something, you DICK.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

oops. you win. you utter nib.
Matt Bayfield
Devotee

Post by Matt Bayfield »

Could Lockdown please be added to the list of formats which appear under a user's "Nines" tab and Superstats Nines?
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

Could we add "my tourneys" to current events and remove "tournaments" from the archives section?
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

How about a rematch button (obviously only clickable when the game has finished) to automatically start a new game of the same format?
16/10/2007 - Episode 4460
Dinos Sfyris 76 - 78 Dorian Lidell
Proof that even idiots can get well and truly mainwheeled.
Joseph Krol
Kiloposter

Post by Joseph Krol »

The ability to change tourney games would be quite useful.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Rhys Benjamin wrote:Could we add "my tourneys" to current events
Yes
and remove "tournaments" from the archives section?
No
Martyn Simpson
Rookie

Post by Martyn Simpson »

Would it be possible to see a user's Pro Ranks rating in their profile?
Martin Long
Acolyte

Post by Martin Long »

I think the amount of time in spoilage rounds needs to be increased to 45 seconds. We get 45 seconds in Hyper Numbers and Spoilage is much harder and we only get 30 seconds per round. I think this needs changing.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Martin Long wrote:I think the amount of time in spoilage rounds needs to be increased to 45 seconds. We get 45 seconds in Hyper Numbers and Spoilage is much harder and we only get 30 seconds per round. I think this needs changing.
It's meant to be harder!
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Martin Long wrote:I think the amount of time in spoilage rounds needs to be increased to 45 seconds. We get 45 seconds in Hyper Numbers and Spoilage is much harder and we only get 30 seconds per round. I think this needs changing.
It's meant to be harder!
It's also just meant to be a bit of a joke isn't it? So remove it from multitalented numberists!!! :evil:

Also, you could add unlimited junior numbers.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote:
It's meant to be harder!
It's also just meant to be a bit of a joke isn't it? So remove it from multitalented numberists!!! :evil:
I dunno about joke, it was just impossible to balance it. I like having something that is virtually unmaxable as a tie-breaker for the handful of people who will eventually max everything else.
Also, you could add unlimited junior numbers.
Point.
Martin Long
Acolyte

Post by Martin Long »

Charlie Reams wrote:
It's meant to be harder!
True.

Too hard for me I reckon, it takes me about 25 seconds to work out what 922 times by 7 actually is.:D

I guess with the time limit at 30 seconds, it just shows how excellent the achievements of Matthew and Bob are in this variant.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Martin Long wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote:
It's meant to be harder!
True.

Too hard for me I reckon, it takes me about 25 seconds to work out what 922 times by 7 actually is.:D
Write it down.
I guess with the time limit at 30 seconds, it just shows how excellent the achievements of Matthew and Bob are in this variant.
Yep. They are mental.
Martin Long
Acolyte

Post by Martin Long »

Writing things down will probably be a good start! I really should start doing it in Numbers Attack against humans as well. There have been quite a few times lately where I have got the solution in less than 10 seconds, clicked "end round early" and forgotten the solution when the solution box comes up!
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Martin Long wrote:Writing things down will probably be a good start! I really should start doing it in Numbers Attack against humans as well. There have been quite a few times lately where I have got the solution in less than 10 seconds, clicked "end round early" and forgotten the solution when the solution box comes up!
Do you not enter the solution in the typing box when you've got time to? Sometimes I've made the mistake of typing it in wrongly, clicking end round early, and then not paying attention and noticing that I've got to enter my solution again. I say sometimes - it's probably been about twice.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Martin Long wrote:Writing things down will probably be a good start! I really should start doing it in Numbers Attack against humans as well. There have been quite a few times lately where I have got the solution in less than 10 seconds, clicked "end round early" and forgotten the solution when the solution box comes up!
Do you not enter the solution in the typing box when you've got time to? Sometimes I've made the mistake of typing it in wrongly, clicking end round early, and then not paying attention and noticing that I've got to enter my solution again. I say sometimes - it's probably been about twice.
I would guess that 75% of players don't know you can do that.
Martin Long
Acolyte

Post by Martin Long »

I rarely type my solution in the typing box. I know you can do it but virtually never do it. When I find the solution early on, I tend to click "end round early" and think about something else like Sunderland AFC, the greatness of Guinness or why the England cricket team is so damn inconsistent!
Matthew Tassier
Acolyte

Post by Matthew Tassier »

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Martin Long wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote:It's meant to be harder!
True.

Write it down.
Yep. They are mental.
Thanks Martin/Gavin
I don't think writing your sums down is going to help with spoilage, that should be much slower than your mental arithmetic.
922*7? You should instantly think 6300, then 7*22=154 is pretty easy.

Also, on non-spoilage numbers games I always type my solution in the box. Gives me 2 chances not to make a silly mistake.
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

Still on multitalented numberists, shouldn't Nasty Nums attack be in there?
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Rhys Benjamin wrote:Still on multitalented numberists, shouldn't Nasty Nums attack be in there?
It is.
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote:
I would guess that 75% of players don't know you can do that.
I wonder how many know that if you enter your solution in the notes box you can use negative numbers in your working?

I haven't put this in bug reports because I'm not sure if it's a bug or intentional. It doesn't even matter that much, as the use of negative numbers doesn't confer any advantage, but if you do the same sort of thing in the solution entering interface it says "I think you've gone wrong there".
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Graeme Cole wrote: I wonder how many know that if you enter your solution in the notes box you can use negative numbers in your working?

I haven't put this in bug reports because I'm not sure if it's a bug or intentional. It doesn't even matter that much, as the use of negative numbers doesn't confer any advantage, but if you do the same sort of thing in the solution entering interface it says "I think you've gone wrong there".
I seem to recall this being pointed out way back in the day, and I decided that it was an amusing Easter Egg that, as you say, doesn't confer any advantage. But that particular gag may now have run its course.
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

The ability to delete unfinished games with robots would be useful.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Rhys Benjamin wrote:The ability to delete unfinished games with robots would be useful.
The 3-game limit is to stop people starting loads of games and just playing a couple of rounds when they are trying to get a high score, Rhys.
So yes it's just a bad side effect when someone genuine like you wants to get rid of a shitty old game, but it's necessary to stop more ruthless people raping the bots.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

What about adding a column to "games in progress" stating the number of spectators in the game. That way people can look and say "ah, 2 spectators in that game, it must be worth a look" or something. Also it's more fun spectating when there's others spectating so you can have a chat.
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter

Post by Adam Gillard »

Some time ago we played Blitz games in several variants and you said that you were going to make all the variants have a high score Blitz format. Also some time ago, you mentioned the potential award of a Spoon of Awesome to the first person to complete (the original) Ascension. I request that one or both of these potential things happen.

Edit: Forgot to say "please". Please.
Mike Brown: "Round 12: T N R S A E I G U

C1: SIGNATURE (18) ["9; not written down"]
C2: SEATING (7)
Score: 108–16 (max 113)

Another niner for Adam and yet another century. Well done, that man."
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter

Post by Adam Gillard »

Yet more demands; I mean requests: Please could Dogfight Letters Attack be made available through the "Challenge in a custom format" dialogue? I've been introducing it to people ahead of the tournament in May and there's been positive feedback, but it's too fiddly to set up at the moment. Perhaps the same could be said for Hypergoat Blitz that currently needs to be set up through the Full Custom dialogue (and, unlike Dogfight Letters Attack, is a high score format).

Adam Gillard
Kiloposter

Post by Adam Gillard »

Me again. Please could silver pencils be displayed in recaps / stats like their bronze predecessors were?

Innis Carson
Devotee

Post by Innis Carson »

Would be good to have the ability to retract an offer to resume a game in progress without having to leave the room, is there a reason why you currently can't?
Jimmy Gough
Devotee

Post by Jimmy Gough »

The new apterous looks good btw
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Jimmy Gough wrote:The new apterous looks good btw
Thanks!
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Right. This is in response to everyone loving watching Innis vs. Kirk. Apterous could be an amazing spectator sport. The spectate system just needs revolutionising, to be more like you're watching an episode, and I guarantee it'd be miles more fun to play along and spectator numbers would rise massively.

Without further ado then:

You've got pictures of the contestants along with their running scores.
You've got permanent on-screen details of the type of game.
You've got a round-by-round table as you are used to seeing when playing yourself (with scrollbar if required, sorry for picking a 9 rounder to screenshot, pretty stupid!).
You've the information window as per the old system which can still give you running declarations, full details of maxes etc. (this would in fact enable a cut-down version of the round-by-round table where you could drop the last two max-related columns for more space.)
You've got awesome chat.
Most importantly you've got REAL letters and a REAL clock. You can REALLY take part.

This dreamy vision would go hand-in-hand with a slight upgrade of the regular game window for the two players - the Chat tab becomes "Private Chat" and there is a new tab "Public Chat" or "Spectator Chat" or something, whereby the contestants can finally (I believe this is one of the simplest parts of the idea but one of the most essential) interact with the spectators as the game is played. This brings a whole new interactivity. OF COURSE the only issue with this is that then Chat would become non-spoilers, so the contestants couldn't be helped. So that might require some thinking, or might even have to be dropped altogether, but I just like the interactivity. Anyway the spectate window is the most important bit, making the whole thing more watchable and exciting.

Imagine how good tournament finals would be.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

I wouldn't say never but that'd be a lot of work for a feature which would get used maybe twice a year.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Damn.