Feature requests

Official forum of apterous.org, the website which allows you to play against other people over the Internet.
Dan Abrey
Rookie

Re: Feature requests

Post by Dan Abrey »

How about a statland page for best numbers solvers?
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Dan Abrey wrote:How about a statland page for best numbers solvers?
They're already there. I'd link you to them, but Apterous isn't playing properly at the moment.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Dan Abrey wrote:How about a statland page for best numbers solvers?
This
Dan Abrey
Rookie

Post by Dan Abrey »

I mean a list of best numbers game solvers sorted by percentage solved. Is that already there? Can't find it for looking!
Matthew Tassier
Acolyte

Post by Matthew Tassier »

Dan Abrey wrote:I mean a list of best numbers game solvers sorted by percentage solved. Is that already there? Can't find it for looking!
Facts and Figures > Statland > Top Players > Top Numbers Players
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

One day I'm going to stop coming up with new item ideas. Today is not that day. :-)

How about a "jammy dodger" for winning a game by being behind on a crucial conundrum and getting it with <=1.0s left? I suppose it shouldn't be awarded if your opponent has already buzzed, otherwise there's no reason not to wait until 29s just to get the item.
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

A way of filtering the "online players", e.g. Bots, humans, seekers, normal, busy, all.
The forum's resident JAILBAKER, who has SPONDERED several times...
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Rhys Benjamin wrote:A way of filtering the "online players", e.g. Bots, humans, seekers, normal, busy, all.
You mean by colour or something similar? Yeah, that would work, surprised no one has thought of it before.
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

Ryan Taylor wrote:
Rhys Benjamin wrote:A way of filtering the "online players", e.g. Bots, humans, seekers, normal, busy, all.
You mean by colour or something similar? Yeah, that would work, surprised no one has thought of it before.
no, sort of one box for each cat.
Matt Bayfield
Devotee

Post by Matt Bayfield »

Ryan Taylor wrote:Yeah, that would work, surprised no one has thought of it before.
Rhys Benjamin wrote:No, sort of one box for each cat.
Someone's already thought of that too:

ImageImage
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Rhys Benjamin wrote:No, sort of one box for each cat.
Don't forget one jar for each man.
Matt Bayfield
Devotee

Post by Matt Bayfield »

Charlie Reams wrote:Don't forget one jar for each man.
[muso trainspot]

[/muso trainspot]
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Post by JackHurst »

PROTISTAN
Hugh Binnie
Enthusiast

Post by Hugh Binnie »

Two Boy Scouts for KAIKAI? :?
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

How about, if player A plays player B for the very first time, it's random who sits in chair A or chair B but after that, every time they play a particular format it alternates where they sit. This came about as I was player 1 three times in a row against a player who used tricky numbers games to try and claw back points and, although it's 50:50, I felt hard done by 3 times in a row being the "champion". It would be much better if it alternated.
Andrew Feist
Enthusiast

Post by Andrew Feist »

1. Rivals to be somewhere on the left side so I don't have to manually add "rivals.php" to the end of the URL every time.
  2. I don't really mind a limit on the number of rivals, but 3? I can't even check off everybody on my Rival-o-matic.
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

Hugh Binnie wrote:Two Boy Scouts for KAIKAI? :?
***LIKE***
***LIKE***
16/10/2007 - Episode 4460
Dinos Sfyris 76 - 78 Dorian Lidell
Proof that even idiots can get well and truly mainwheeled.
Liam Tiernan
Devotee

Post by Liam Tiernan »

Kirk Bevins wrote:How about, if player A plays player B for the very first time, it's random who sits in chair A or chair B but after that, every time they play a particular format it alternates where they sit. This came about as I was player 1 three times in a row against a player who used tricky numbers games to try and claw back points and, although it's 50:50, I felt hard done by 3 times in a row being the "champion". It would be much better if it alternated.
I thought that the winner of the previous game between 2 players sits in the champions chair next game, just as in the show.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Kirk Bevins wrote:How about, if player A plays player B for the very first time, it's random who sits in chair A or chair B but after that, every time they play a particular format it alternates where they sit. This came about as I was player 1 three times in a row against a player who used tricky numbers games to try and claw back points and, although it's 50:50, I felt hard done by 3 times in a row being the "champion". It would be much better if it alternated.
On a related note, I suggest a 15-round format that has 4 numbers rounds that's available from the drop-down thing. Something like LlLlN lLlLn LnlNC. First two "halves" would be as normal and only the third half would be different. I'd suggest this to Damian for the actual show, but I'm worried that it might turn out to be objectively a bad idea and I don't think I could take that.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Gavin Chipper wrote:I suggest a 15-round format that has 4 numbers rounds that's available from the drop-down thing. Something like LlLlN lLlLn LnlNC.
I've been considering rolling out the Blitz format to other variants. Maybe something more numbers-oriented could also go into rotation, although it could be something a little more "radical" than one extra numbers round. Ideas?
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote:I suggest a 15-round format that has 4 numbers rounds that's available from the drop-down thing. Something like LlLlN lLlLn LnlNC.
I've been considering rolling out the Blitz format to other variants. Maybe something more numbers-oriented could also go into rotation, although it could be something a little more "radical" than one extra numbers round. Ideas?
The masters format (LNCx5) could fit the bill here.
Karen Pearson
Devotee

Post by Karen Pearson »

I like the new format for voting on Game of the Week (where you can now see the details of the games on the voting page). The only slight issue is that I can't remember if 1 is better than 5 or vice versa and I can't see it explained anywhere on the page. Any chance we could have it annotated please just so that I don't vote incorrectly?

I know I'm a market researcher so I should be able to work it out but my experience is that people have different preferences for rating scales and it's best not to make assumptions (like when I gave my badminton coach 4 out of 4 for everything and then he pointed out that 4 was the lowest score and I had should have given 1s!!).
Nick Boldock
Rookie

Post by Nick Boldock »

When I look on Statland I would love to see where I sit outside of the top ranks.

To explain that better...

If I look at, for example, "Statland: Most multitalented players" - I see the Top 30 but I have no idea where I rank, albeit I'm probably somewhere near the bottom. But if I could see that it would give me the goal of improving my standing, which definitely appeals...

Perhaps you can already see this some other way - apologies if so (and tell me where it is).

Thanks..
Miriam Nussbaum
Rookie

Post by Miriam Nussbaum »

Nick Boldock wrote:When I look on Statland I would love to see where I sit outside of the top ranks.

If I look at, for example, "Statland: Most multitalented players" - I see the Top 30 but I have no idea where I rank, albeit I'm probably somewhere near the bottom. But if I could see that it would give me the goal of improving my standing, which definitely appeals...

Perhaps you can already see this some other way - apologies if so (and tell me where it is).

Thanks..
Yeah, I've also thought it would be interesting to see how far off I was from making some list or other. (Especially the numbers pages that give stuff like max percentages, and I can't see my own if I'm not on the page myself.)
Nick Boldock
Rookie

Post by Nick Boldock »

Miriam Nussbaum wrote:
Nick Boldock wrote:When I look on Statland I would love to see where I sit outside of the top ranks.

Thanks..
Yeah, I've also thought it would be interesting to see how far off I was from making some list or other. (Especially the numbers pages that give stuff like max percentages, and I can't see my own if I'm not on the page myself.)
Realistically I know, as an "average" player, I'm not going to make the Top 30 of hardly any of the charts (if any) but I guess in order to calculate the top 30 there must be some kind of routine behind which calculates the same stats for every player? In which case surely it could add on the bottom, just after the Top 30 (or 20, or whatever), the logged in player's own stats in comparison. That way, although I can't make those charts in the foreseeable future, I'd still be able to chart progress and set my own aims - say aiming for the top 100, top 50 or whatever. I'm not suggesting showing everyone's stats - just the top dogs and then one at the bottom.

Like when you look at the tennis rankings on BBC Sport and underneath the important people it shows you where the Brits are ranked...

(I like that analogy)*

*With apologies to Mr Andrew Murray.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Nick Boldock wrote:
Miriam Nussbaum wrote:

Thanks..
Realistically I know, as an "average" player, I'm not going to make the Top 30 of hardly any of the charts (if any) but I guess in order to calculate the top 30 there must be some kind of routine behind which calculates the same stats for every player? In which case surely it could add on the bottom, just after the Top 30 (or 20, or whatever), the logged in player's own stats in comparison. That way, although I can't make those charts in the foreseeable future, I'd still be able to chart progress and set my own aims - say aiming for the top 100, top 50 or whatever. I'm not suggesting showing everyone's stats - just the top dogs and then one at the bottom.

Like when you look at the tennis rankings on BBC Sport and underneath the important people it shows you where the Brits are ranked...

(I like that analogy)*

*With apologies to Mr Andrew Murray.
It's a nice idea, although there are significant technical obstacles beyond what's obvious from the outside. However (as I've said before) one of my objectives for the rest of the year is doing more for the "broad middle" of the ability range, so never say never.
Nick Boldock
Rookie

Post by Nick Boldock »

Charlie Reams wrote: It's a nice idea, although there are significant technical obstacles beyond what's obvious from the outside. However (as I've said before) one of my objectives for the rest of the year is doing more for the "broad middle" of the ability range, so never say never.
Fair enough, sounds promising... ish. ;-)
Oliver Garner
Series 62 Champion

Post by Oliver Garner »

I know it's very luck-based, but a leaderboard for most darrens in a 15 rounder.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Charlie Reams wrote:It's a nice idea, although there are significant technical obstacles beyond what's obvious from the outside. However (as I've said before) one of my objectives for the rest of the year is doing more for the "broad middle" of the ability range, so never say never.
I've noticed myself at the bottom of the Pro ranks before - is this not just the same as that but for other things as well?
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote:It's a nice idea, although there are significant technical obstacles beyond what's obvious from the outside. However (as I've said before) one of my objectives for the rest of the year is doing more for the "broad middle" of the ability range, so never say never.
I've noticed myself at the bottom of the Pro ranks before - is this not just the same as that but for other things as well?
Yes it's identical, I was lying when I said it was difficult.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote:
Yes it's identical, I was lying when I said it was difficult.
Haha - fair enough, sorry.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Yes it's identical, I was lying when I said it was difficult.
Here's the answer I might have given if I had been feeling more charitable: Pro Ranks operates on a completely different subsystem to Statland and has a fairly fundamentally different design under the hood. I was thinking today that it's not completely infeasible that Statland could be migrated to something more like Pro Ranks, but it would be a significant amount of work just because there's so much stuff on Statland now (and ease of development was something I designed for from the beginning). But it would be kinda cool and could probably be done incrementally, if I was willing to put up with the spurious bug reports in the mean time. So... maybe.
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

Raw Scoring
Andrew Feist
Enthusiast

Post by Andrew Feist »

Rhys Benjamin wrote:Raw Scoring
I think you'll find that's called "Flat".
James Bradley
Rookie

Post by James Bradley »

How about under a variant page, a stat of lowest score to go with highest score?
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

James Bradley wrote:How about under a variant page, a stat of lowest score to go with highest score?
Presumably lowest score in most variants would be 0 more or less?
James Bradley
Rookie

Post by James Bradley »

Ryan Taylor wrote:
James Bradley wrote:How about under a variant page, a stat of lowest score to go with highest score?
That's true, but if the bots were excluded would there be many human players scoring 0?
Matthew Tassier
Acolyte

Post by Matthew Tassier »

James Bradley wrote:
Ryan Taylor wrote:
That's true, but if the bots were excluded would there be many human players scoring 0?
Bizarrely some otherwise sane players would deliberately score 0 just to get their name on the page, so I'm afraid it would be pointless.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

To repeat what Charlie has said several times before, and what I've said on behalf of Charlie several times before, there won't be 'high score' pages that specifically bring a focus to bad performances and bad players, it just isn't constructive to the growth of the site. Or nice.
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

Matthew Tassier wrote:
James Bradley wrote:
Ryan Taylor wrote: Presumably lowest score in most variants would be 0 more or less?
Bizarrely some otherwise sane players would deliberately score 0 just to get their name on the page, so I'm afraid it would be pointless.
What, similar to this on here? :-)

Incidentally, a secondary objective in that game seems to have been to spell words vertically. "Octo chat pee" and "dire coot git". I'm guessing Charlie was going for "octochamp".
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

How about a message appearing in the chat window whenever someone enters the Bash Room? Could serve as a reminder to people that it's there and get it a bit more populated.
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

Lesley Hines
Kiloposter

Post by Lesley Hines »

Rhys Benjamin wrote:A resign feature.
Aw, you subscribed. Fair play :)
Lowering the averages since 2009
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Persons chosen most as rival.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Ian Volante wrote:Persons chosen most as rival.
Cool. Might throw up something interesting.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Another quick comparison column for your rivals on rivals.php would be 'Duel points this month'.
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

The problem with that is you could resign before the game ends, potentially denying your opponent the chance of a high score or whatever. You could restrict it only to situations where the game goes to a tie-break, and automatically award the other player the points for that round, but somehow it doesn't seem right to award a player points for something they haven't done.

An "offer draw" feature might work, though, whereby a tied game can be curtailed by mutual agreement. I can see that being useful in the more esoteric variants when, as in this case, two players get stuck in a never-ending stream of tie-break conundrums.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Graeme Cole wrote: An "offer draw" feature might work, though, whereby a tied game can be curtailed by mutual agreement. I can see that being useful in the more esoteric variants when, as in this case, two players get stuck in a never-ending stream of tie-break conundrums.
That's actually a nice idea.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Matt Morrison wrote:Another quick comparison column for your rivals on rivals.php would be 'Duel points this month'.
Also, make the 'Latest duel' position, considering it only appears for completed duels, link to the specific duel game in question.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Lesley Hines wrote:
Aw, you subscribed. Fair play :)
He actually didn't, an anonymous donor subscribed for him. Oddly he's never commented on it.
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

Posted under Rhys's name, but I am Rhys's dad, Martin. I did not know that Rhys was meant to pay for being on apterous. He has only just told me, although I was aware that he has been on apterous for some time now. I have contacted both Charlie and the benefactor to thank the latter for generously agreeing to pay, but I think it is only right that I should pay, and I shall be rectifying the situation accordingly. I would not be happy if the situation were left as it is, if only because Rhys needs to know the right way to do these things. I am sure the offer was well meant, and a nice gesture, but Rhys really needs to understand that it is up to himself and his family to sort out such matters, and not to rely on the generosity of others.

No need for further comment on this, I think - I hope we can leave it there and let everyone carry on enjoying apterous.

Finally, I would like to thank everyone on apterous and at CoLei for making Rhys welcome both as a virtual and actual player of the game. Maybe one day when I have time, I shall subscribe. That way, everyone else will have someone they can beat on a regular basis!

Regards

Martin Benjamin
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter
Location: About 45 minutes south-east of Thibodaux, Louisiana

Post by Adam Gillard »

I've already forgotten what happened in October 2010. Any chance of apterous history?
Dan Abrey
Rookie

Post by Dan Abrey »

Tiny tiny thing but would aid my curiosity and awful memory for small images - tooltips on the icons for variants on pages where only the icon is shown (such as the latest pencils on the homepage)
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

I was wondering if it was possible for the clock to be tied up more with the music in the game. If there's a laggy moment, the clock can jump but the music won't so they can get out of sync. Also the music starts again after an incorrect conundrum buzz, rather than carrying on from where it left off.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Gavin Chipper wrote:I was wondering if it was possible for the clock to be tied up more with the music in the game. If there's a laggy moment, the clock can jump but the music won't so they can get out of sync. Also the music starts again after an incorrect conundrum buzz, rather than carrying on from where it left off.
I don't know much about coding but it sounds to me like this might be one of those things that sounds easy but it ridiculously hard, so the effort to reward ratio is not very favourable.
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

If you right-click on the player list you can hide the bots :-D
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Can you reactive the spindlomatic? It's been ages since we've had any new DC guests and some of the dialogue is getting pretty old.
Liam Tiernan
Devotee

Post by Liam Tiernan »

How about a queue option for challenges? If, for example I want to play Jojo, but he's already in a game it would be rude to issue a challenge. Rather than sitting idly waiting for him to finish, I could "add name to challenge queue" and then go play a bot or do something in another window. Then when Jojo finishes his game the challenge would issue automatically. To prevent multiple challenges being offered this could be limited to one challenge per player. It would also be helpful to know if other players are queueing waiting to play him.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Liam Tiernan wrote:If, for example I want to play Jojo, but he's already in a game it would be rude to issue a challenge.
Hmm, would it? I do this all the time.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Liam Tiernan wrote:If, for example I want to play Jojo, but he's already in a game it would be rude to issue a challenge.
Hmm, would it? I do this all the time.
Does Jojo not get annoyed?