Bug reports

Official forum of apterous.org, the website which allows you to play against other people over the Internet.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Re: Bug reports

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Conundrums won't load on Touch Jnr 15 rounders.
Lloyd Pettet
Rookie

Post by Lloyd Pettet »

^ This has happened for me too
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Lloyd Pettet wrote:^ This has happened for me too
Ditto. We surmised that there was maybe some lock on getting repeat conundrums within a certain time period, hence the problem (since there are so few in this variant). However, I've never seen this confirmed.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Ian Volante wrote:
Lloyd Pettet wrote:^ This has happened for me too
Ditto. We surmised that there was maybe some lock on getting repeat conundrums within a certain time period, hence the problem (since there are so few in this variant). However, I've never seen this confirmed.
When I logged back into apterous today I tried again but they still didn't work. Then when I had just finished a game up popped the conundrum from one of my Junior touch 15 and then about a minute later the other came up to. Very weird.
Chris Philpot
Acolyte

Post by Chris Philpot »

Upon trying to resume a crashed game against the Guardian, I have thrice received:

"ClientReceiveThread []: java.io.InvalidClassException: apterous.RewardClass; local class incompatible: stream classdesc serialVersionUID = 8238233239936368605, local class serialVersionUID = 2907459887424858898"

Any advice?
James Leroux
Rookie

Post by James Leroux »

Chris Philpot wrote:Upon trying to resume a crashed game against the Guardian, I have thrice received:

"ClientReceiveThread []: java.io.InvalidClassException: apterous.RewardClass; local class incompatible: stream classdesc serialVersionUID = 8238233239936368605, local class serialVersionUID = 2907459887424858898"

Any advice?
I'm getting the same message trying to resume against Rich York...
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Same for Gevin.

EDIT: Stepdown too. Though I'd imagine it's one fix for all.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

What, and not in rounds 6, 8 and 12? Same bug as I reported above *I think*.
Andrew Feist
Enthusiast

Post by Andrew Feist »

I got an Opus of O'Donnell and a Hardcover of Hargreaves for declaring "radio" in R13 of this game, which would have been great if there had been a D in the selection. Since there wasn't....
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter
Location: About 45 minutes south-east of Thibodaux, Louisiana

Post by Adam Gillard »

The new "most multitalented letterists" page has numbers scores for the Aegilops column. I thought it was weird that I had no entry for that variant, seeing as I currently hold the joint high score and have probably played it more than anyone else.
Mike Brown: "Round 12: T N R S A E I G U

C1: SIGNATURE (18) ["9; not written down"]
C2: SEATING (7)
Score: 108–16 (max 113)

Another niner for Adam and yet another century. Well done, that man."
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Adam Gillard wrote:The new "most multitalented letterists" page has numbers scores for the Aegilops column. I thought it was weird that I had no entry for that variant, seeing as I currently hold the joint high score and have probably played it more than anyone else.
Oops, fixed.
Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

I don't know if this is a bug, but I found this in a chat log:

The German 9 from N?RINEHER was EINR?HREN! What are the question marks?
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Eoin Monaghan wrote:I don't know if this is a bug, but I found this in a chat log:

The German 9 from N?RINEHER was EINR?HREN! What are the question marks?
Ö I suspect.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

I'm pretty sure I wasn't quite so quick as this conundrum reported:

lol wat
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Post by JackHurst »

When a game gets paused because one player leaves the room, is the same letters pack still used when the game continues? Because I have had games where a Z or Q comes out before the cut off and then they come out again in later rounds when we resume.
Bob De Caux
Enthusiast

Post by Bob De Caux »

I think something has happened to the link to the German dictionary, as all my words were rejected (I tried GUT just to make sure it was a bug!) and dictionary corner couldn't come up with anything.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Bob De Caux wrote:I think something has happened to the link to the German dictionary, as all my words were rejected (I tried GUT just to make sure it was a bug!) and dictionary corner couldn't come up with anything.
Yes, sorry, during a slightly over-enthusiastic piece of database optimisation I appear to have deleted the entire German lexicon. Resolving now.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Charlie Reams wrote:Yes, sorry, during a slightly over-enthusiastic piece of database optimisation I appear to have deleted the entire German lexicon. Resolving now.
Yeah I get it - "I'll fucking show you 4-1!"
Karen Pearson
Devotee

Post by Karen Pearson »

Looks like the Spanish dictionary has been deleted too I'm afraid Charlie. It's not unusual for me to make up words but DC aren't coming up with anything either.
Karen Pearson
Devotee

Post by Karen Pearson »

Spanish dictionary is up and working again. Thanks Charlie. But there seems to be a problem with conundrums. They just don't appear so the game sticks. I was trying to clear two partially-completed games from yesterday but they both stick at the conundrum.
craig
Rookie

Post by craig »

I have more than 3 games against bots unfinished. It says I can't start anymore until I finish these, but when I try and continue these I get the same message meaning I can't actually finish the games. Is there a way round this or should I just wait until they disappear before I start playing bots again?
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

craig wrote:I have more than 3 games against bots unfinished. It says I can't start anymore until I finish these, but when I try and continue these I get the same message meaning I can't actually finish the games. Is there a way round this or should I just wait until they disappear before I start playing bots again?
Haha oops. Willfix.
craig
Rookie

Post by craig »

Charlie Reams wrote:
craig wrote:I have more than 3 games against bots unfinished. It says I can't start anymore until I finish these, but when I try and continue these I get the same message meaning I can't actually finish the games. Is there a way round this or should I just wait until they disappear before I start playing bots again?
Haha oops. Willfix.
Thanks.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

There are a relatively small number of possible Touch Jnr conundrums, so I didn't filter them any further.
James Doohan
Enthusiast

Post by James Doohan »

For some reason the nines I got here and here have not been updated in my list of nines. Just me or has anyone else noticed this happening?
Andrew Feist
Enthusiast

Post by Andrew Feist »

Interesting message when trying to resume a game against the Guardian:
ClientGame624 [CXPLAY]: java.lang.ClassCastException: java.lang.Character cannot be cast to [Lapterous.game.RoundSummary;
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

The German dictionary's gone missing! OK, probably not great loss but I fancied beating my really shit PB (honestly, it's like 35 or something) at it.
James Doohan
Enthusiast

Post by James Doohan »

Just a general wonderment to be honest. In this game I got the max in the first numbers game but was two away from the actual target and got eight points for it. Is stepdown supposed to be how far you are from the max or the target? Seems a bit harsh considering I got the maximum but got punished the two points for being two away from the target
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

James Doohan wrote:Just a general wonderment to be honest. In this game I got the max in the first numbers game but was two away from the actual target and got eight points for it. Is stepdown supposed to be how far you are from the max or the target? Seems a bit harsh considering I got the maximum but got punished the two points for being two away from the target
Been mentioned plenty - it cost me a great Omelette high score when I was 1 away and lost 3 points! Charlie knows about it, hopefully more people will voice an opinion cos I'm with you on it not feeling right.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

I think the reasoning behind this is that Omelette and Aegilops technically aren't stepdown as such but play to their own scoring rules (for want of a better wording). You're not guaranteed to have 30 points available from 3 numbers games in standard or any other variant, hence you can't in Omelette/Aegilops. The stepdown scoring for the letters I always assumed was Charlie electing it as the best solution.

For regular stepdown though, I always thought the idea was to have a flat high score across all rounds- optimum play will net you 10 points in a letters round, so why it isn't the case in a numbers round I'm not sure. Altering it could result in some oddities such as scoring points for being, say, 40 points away on a numbers game when it isn't possible to get any closer but personally I see the 'impossible to score 10 points from a round' as being more of an oddity.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Ben Wilson wrote:I think the reasoning behind this is that Omelette and Aegilops technically aren't stepdown as such but play to their own scoring rules (for want of a better wording). You're not guaranteed to have 30 points available from 3 numbers games in standard or any other variant, hence you can't in Omelette/Aegilops. The stepdown scoring for the letters I always assumed was Charlie electing it as the best solution.
Thanks for the vote of confidence, but in reality it's just a case I didn't think of, and will fix when I get a chance.
Andrew Feist
Enthusiast

Post by Andrew Feist »

Just now the chat said I got a bronze pencil for TUMBREL but since I was playing a classic game I really didn't.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Andrew Feist wrote:Just now the chat said I got a bronze pencil for TUMBREL but since I was playing a classic game I really didn't.
Thought I'd played that word ages ago anyway, amongst others I'm sure.

EDIT: Just checked, and I'm surprised I haven't. Must have been looking for it at some point. It's not pencilled anyway, as discovered above.
Hugh Binnie
Enthusiast

Post by Hugh Binnie »

In this 'maxes score' game against the Guardian, he scored on the numbers round despite declaring one away from the max.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

On this page it says "Top 15 round players 12.3% maxes" when the % sign should be removed (I hope!) and similarly for "Top Speed 15 players 10.5% maxes"
Andrew Feist
Enthusiast

Post by Andrew Feist »

This game suggests that the recent change to aegilops numbers broke maxes-scoring again.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Andrew Feist wrote:This game suggests that the recent change to aegilops numbers broke maxes-scoring again.
Cos you didn't score in round 12?
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Post by JackHurst »

This isn't actually a bug report, more of a question aimed at Charlie, but I couldnt find anywhere better to post it.

If you are playing a classic game and a conundrum has more than one possible solution, could you get points for either, or do you have to get the conundrum they used on the show?
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

JackHurst wrote:This isn't actually a bug report, more of a question aimed at Charlie, but I couldnt find anywhere better to post it.

If you are playing a classic game and a conundrum has more than one possible solution, could you get points for either, or do you have to get the conundrum they used on the show?
The latter, unfortunately. It would be a lot of hassle to special-case those.
Andrew Feist
Enthusiast

Post by Andrew Feist »

Did the holy artifacts (or "artefacts") go away on purpose, or just go away?
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Andrew Feist wrote:Did the holy artifacts (or "artefacts") go away on purpose, or just go away?
I wasn't aware they'd gone away, are you sure about this?
Andrew Feist
Enthusiast

Post by Andrew Feist »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Andrew Feist wrote:Did the holy artifacts (or "artefacts") go away on purpose, or just go away?
I'll try and play them all and see what happens, but the ones I was pretty sure about aren't giving me anything. (And for that matter, I have two holy Caesars, but there is not a variant where I have beaten Caesar twice (except nasty nums, and I'm pretty sure that's not it).)

(EDIT: well, I can't connect to apterous atm. I'll try again tomorrow.)
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Charlie Reams wrote:
What are they for anyway? I think I've got one but I've no idea why.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote:
What are they for anyway? I think I've got one but I've no idea why.
They're for beating the various bots in particular variants. Trick is to work out which variants...
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter
Location: About 45 minutes south-east of Thibodaux, Louisiana

Post by Adam Gillard »

Two pretty unimportant bugs to report. Firstly, please fix the formatting or whatever has gone wrong on this page: fastest conundrums. Secondly, I got a pencil for HEXAPLAS just now in R17 of a Touch Attack after it was offered by DC in R3 of the same game, and when I looked at Word Search in the Lexplorer entry, I noticed that it has come up twice for the same round (R17) in the same game, once with my name under "Finder" and once with "Dictionary Corner" in that column. I don't know if this happened because it came up twice in the same game, or if it is a more general touchdown issue. Anyway, if you look at R17 of the relevant game, the word HEXAPLAS (correctly) does not appear in the "Others" column, so it's not like DC declared it too.
Mike Brown: "Round 12: T N R S A E I G U

C1: SIGNATURE (18) ["9; not written down"]
C2: SEATING (7)
Score: 108–16 (max 113)

Another niner for Adam and yet another century. Well done, that man."
Andrew Feist
Enthusiast

Post by Andrew Feist »

In pursuit of this holy artifact business, I was going to play Prune in every possible variant to make sure. I made it through the variants on the "standard" and "goat" tabs and gave up. I started with one holy prune and still only have one, so make of that whatever you want.

Also: in goatnundrums, only eight of the letters come back when you buzz in during extra time.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Andrew Feist wrote:In pursuit of this holy artifact business, I was going to play Prune in every possible variant to make sure. I made it through the variants on the "standard" and "goat" tabs and gave up. I started with one holy prune and still only have one, so make of that whatever you want.

Also: in goatnundrums, only eight of the letters come back when you buzz in during extra time.
I found it useful to look through the format breakdown of someone that's got most of the holy artefacts, this gave a few strong pointers to what were likely to be the holy variants since they'd in many cases only won these formats once in a small total of games.
Matthew Tassier
Acolyte

Post by Matthew Tassier »

Andrew Feist wrote:In pursuit of this holy artifact business, I was going to play Prune in every possible variant to make sure. I made it through the variants on the "standard" and "goat" tabs and gave up. I started with one holy prune and still only have one, so make of that whatever you want.

They are broken I think. I tried to get the one I knew how to get and wasn't awarded one.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

What does bold mean in the duel standings? I thought it may mean that they've completed every duel that month but all the emboldened ones at the moment are ones on 4/5.
Matthew Tassier
Acolyte

Post by Matthew Tassier »

Kirk Bevins wrote:What does bold mean in the duel standings? I thought it may mean that they've completed every duel that month but all the emboldened ones at the moment are ones on 4/5.
It means you have completed the same number of duels as the number of complete days in the month. Unfortunately the duel standings bug(?) has returned whereby the standings include the last day of the previous month.
Miriam Nussbaum
Rookie

Post by Miriam Nussbaum »

For some reason I can't start games – I tried to challenge Prune to a custom game to practise for the Duel (never played Goatblind before and wanted to see what it was like beforehand), and the window didn't pop up. There was a teaser going on and I tried to answer it, but nothing showed up in the chat window. I closed the window and opened it again, and there was still time left on the teaser, so I tried again – this time I could see my response, but there was no "You got it first! You got X points" message…but then when time was up, it said that I had solved it. I challenged Prune again and got the window this time, but the right panel was blank (no blue thing with the format, no "If you're new to this format, click help" message, nothing) and when I clicked "Start the game" it just said "Waiting for your opponent…" and didn't do anything. My name was also still black in the chat window. I tried this several times, and then I thought that maybe there was a new Duel rule in effect making it impossible to play the same format without already having played the Duel, so I also tried issuing a standard challenge, but the same thing happened.

Sometimes, right after trying to challenge (usually this happens when I'm trying to challenge Prune in a foreign language around midnight my time – i.e. 5 AM UK time), I've gotten an error message saying "Please wait for the game to load", after which I can't say anything in chat or see others saying things in chat or entering/exiting the room. This was like that, except without that error message, and in that the game window appeared but did nothing.

I looked at the error tracker, but it was blank (it always is). I also have the sound on in my settings, but there were no sounds.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Miriam Nussbaum wrote:For some reason I can't start games – I tried to challenge Prune to a custom game to practise for the Duel (never played Goatblind before and wanted to see what it was like beforehand), and the window didn't pop up. There was a teaser going on and I tried to answer it, but nothing showed up in the chat window. I closed the window and opened it again, and there was still time left on the teaser, so I tried again – this time I could see my response, but there was no "You got it first! You got X points" message…but then when time was up, it said that I had solved it. I challenged Prune again and got the window this time, but the right panel was blank (no blue thing with the format, no "If you're new to this format, click help" message, nothing) and when I clicked "Start the game" it just said "Waiting for your opponent…" and didn't do anything. My name was also still black in the chat window. I tried this several times, and then I thought that maybe there was a new Duel rule in effect making it impossible to play the same format without already having played the Duel, so I also tried issuing a standard challenge, but the same thing happened.

Sometimes, right after trying to challenge (usually this happens when I'm trying to challenge Prune in a foreign language around midnight my time – i.e. 5 AM UK time), I've gotten an error message saying "Please wait for the game to load", after which I can't say anything in chat or see others saying things in chat or entering/exiting the room. This was like that, except without that error message, and in that the game window appeared but did nothing.

I looked at the error tracker, but it was blank (it always is). I also have the sound on in my settings, but there were no sounds.
Bit of teething pains with the change of development platform. Seems to be okay now. Thanks for the detailed report.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Miriam Nussbaum wrote:I've gotten an error message saying "Please wait for the game to load",
I've always had the impression that this window only comes up when playing a less-used variant - I'm guessing that Charlie has the minor lexicons and other stuff hidden away in the background until they are called up, and the initialisation takes some time.
Hugh Binnie
Enthusiast

Post by Hugh Binnie »

This buggy game is still included in the most max games page.
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Post by JackHurst »

On the numbers interface, the multiplication sign on the commitment bar is now some weird diamond thing. Also, I just noticed that the division symbol has similarly been replaced by ~
Karen Pearson
Devotee

Post by Karen Pearson »

Numbers seem to be broken this morning. It is not possible to multiply or divide. Or at least you can't confirm those functions.

Not sure whether I want this to be fixed too quickly as those who get up late and play the Duel later will have a possible 30 point advantage! :(
Karen Pearson
Devotee

Post by Karen Pearson »

Karen Pearson wrote:Numbers seem to be broken this morning. It is not possible to multiply or divide. Or at least you can't confirm those functions.

Not sure whether I want this to be fixed too quickly as those who get up late and play the Duel later will have a possible 30 point advantage! :(
Have just looked and it seems to have been working earlier as the top scorers in the Duel seem to have scored on the numbers.