Bug reports

Official forum of apterous.org, the website which allows you to play against other people over the Internet.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Re: Bug reports

Post by Charlie Reams »

Alec Rivers wrote:Probably not a bug in the normal sense, but I've been trying to load Apterous for the best part of an hour and it stops when it gets here:
http://apterous.org/help.php?page=12#info
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Odd one in this game- http://apterous.org/viewgame.php?game=144231

I was typing in the answer to round 2 when my thumb slipped onto the space bar, obliterating most of what I'd already typed in and freezing me out of the round (I wasn't given the opportunity to type my G). here's the relevant console-

CX Conundrum round started...
CX getting shuffle...
ClientReceiveThread >> GameEvent{key=152,o=apterous.game.ConundrumPuzzle@f6398}
RX GameEvent{key=152,o=apterous.game.ConundrumPuzzle@f6398}
XX GameEvent{key=152,o=apterous.game.ConundrumPuzzle@f6398}
CX Got shuffle, passing to player...
TPP 5
CX initializing plexer...
CX awaiting message
PROCESSINGB
PROCESSINGB
Awoken!
CX want buzz
ClientGame152 << GameEvent{key=152,pos=1,o=net.ConundrumEvent$BuzzRequest@152643}
CX awaiting message
PROCESSINGB
PROCESSINGU
PROCESSINGU
PROCESSINGU
PROCESSINGT
PROCESSINGT
[T]PROCESSINGT
ClientReceiveThread >> GameEvent{key=152,o=[Buzz for P=1]}
RX GameEvent{key=152,o=[Buzz for P=1]}
XX GameEvent{key=152,o=[Buzz for P=1]}
Awoken!
CX buzz: [Buzz for P=1]
CFRAME: informBuzz 1
PROCESSINGT
PROCESSINGT
[T]###84
TPP 5
PROCESSINGT
PROCESSINGO
PROCESSINGO
[O]###79
TPP 5
PROCESSINGO
PROCESSINGN
PROCESSINGN
[N]###78
TPP 5
PROCESSINGN
PROCESSINGI
PROCESSINGI
###73
TPP 5
PROCESSINGI
PROCESSING
PROCESSING
[ ]PROCESSINGN
PROCESSINGN
[N]###78
TPP 5
Awoken!
CX got answer from iface, sending
ClientGame152 << GameEvent{key=152,pos=1,o=net.ConundrumEvent$Answer@5c2a25}
CX awaiting guess response
CX sending keepalive
KeepaliveThread << net.MessageToServer$Keepalive@14ba9a2
CX sent keepalive
ClientReceiveThread >> GameEvent{key=152,o=net.ConundrumEvent$IncorrectContinue@18706f6}
RX GameEvent{key=152,o=net.ConundrumEvent$IncorrectContinue@18706f6}
XX GameEvent{key=152,o=net.ConundrumEvent$IncorrectContinue@18706f6}
Awoken!
CX got guess response: net.ConundrumEvent$IncorrectContinue@18706f6
CX awaiting message
CFRAME: informDeclaration P1 guessed N on 1344 ms: Incorrect
Awoken!
Awoken!
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Ben Wilson wrote:Odd one in this game- http://apterous.org/viewgame.php?game=144231

I was typing in the answer to round 2 when my thumb slipped onto the space bar, obliterating most of what I'd already typed in and freezing me out of the round (I wasn't given the opportunity to type my G). here's the relevant console-
By design.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Apterous is not working right now and I am not happy about it
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Post by Howard Somerset »

Jason Larsen wrote:Apterous is not working right now and I am not happy about it
Charlie is away from home now until at least tomorrow evening. I don't know if he has any arrangements for Apterous to be kicked into life when he's away, but I wouldn't be too optimistic if I were you.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Jason Larsen wrote:Apterous is not working right now and I am not happy about it
You could always amuse yourself by reading the Aptochat archives.
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

I was playing a max-only numbers round and I clicked on the target and wasn't given the opportunity to enter my solution (having not entered it in the "notepad" stage). Yes, the the target was impossible (according to Apterous) but I still felt that it was a little "rude", but the main potential problem I thought of was that in hyper, Apterous doesn't always find a possible target so you could lose a round for getting it spot on. (I don't know what would happen if you managed to enter a valid solution in the time though).
Stuart Arnot
Acolyte

Post by Stuart Arnot »

I was just given a target of 100 in a touchdown numbers round. here.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Stuart Arnot wrote:I was just given a target of 100 in a touchdown numbers round. here.
By design.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Why can't you declare 1000 for a target of 998.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Marc Meakin wrote:Why can't you declare 1000 for a target of 998.
You can.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

http://apterous.org/chatlog.php?log=1258639987159

2009-11-19 15:01:50 Ben Wilson got it first. You have -35263.2 seconds left.

Whilst attempting to post:-

'yesterday at doncaster station I saw someone wearing a yarmulka and really curly sideburns and immediately I thought of RB'
Alec Rivers
Devotee

Post by Alec Rivers »

Ben Wilson wrote:http://apterous.org/chatlog.php?log=1258639987159

'yesterday at doncaster station I saw someone wearing a yarmulka and really curly sideburns and immediately I thought of RB'
lol. That was 9 hours, 47 minutes, 43.2 seconds earlier. :)
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Alec Rivers wrote:
Ben Wilson wrote:http://apterous.org/chatlog.php?log=1258639987159

lol. That was 9 hours, 47 minutes, 43.2 seconds earlier. :)
There was clearly a TTT with the answer of YARMULKA and nobody got it. When Ben typed in "YARMULKA" it recognised it and said he got it, but late (yes, a bug).

9 hours 47 minutes earlier would mean the TTT was around 05:15 that morning. Upon checking the chat logs, it seems the chat log for 5am is missing - it jumps straight from 4am to 6am. The mystery continues.
Lloyd Pettet
Rookie

Post by Lloyd Pettet »

http://www.apterous.org/viewgame.php?ke ... 5473428860

Some weird ass scoring here, from rewarding me with 1 for a numbers max, to rewarding the guardian for non maximums.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

The Scrabbler's Scramble isn't working...or at least the word games aren't.

http://www.apterous.org/viewgame.php?game=148361
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Gavin Chipper wrote:I was playing a max-only numbers round and I clicked on the target and wasn't given the opportunity to enter my solution (having not entered it in the "notepad" stage). Yes, the the target was impossible (according to Apterous) but I still felt that it was a little "rude", but the main potential problem I thought of was that in hyper, Apterous doesn't always find a possible target so you could lose a round for getting it spot on. (I don't know what would happen if you managed to enter a valid solution in the time though).
http://apterous.org/viewgame.php?game=1 ... 2#r2146112

(9*4-10)*150+75-6-6-8 :(
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Not really a bug report, just bad wording after a round has ended.

Playing omelette earlier I put two words into the box, SALINITY and NARIYALS. I declared NARIYALS and it said "well done - you could have gone for SALINITY for 8 - it's there!". Usually it only tells you this kind of thing if you didn't risk a better word but in this case it's a word of the same value so it shouldn't get mentioned in the blurb afterwards.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Kirk Bevins wrote:Not really a bug report, just bad wording after a round has ended.

Playing omelette earlier I put two words into the box, SALINITY and NARIYALS. I declared NARIYALS and it said "well done - you could have gone for SALINITY for 8 - it's there!". Usually it only tells you this kind of thing if you didn't risk a better word but in this case it's a word of the same value so it shouldn't get mentioned in the blurb afterwards.
Similarly, Susie gets very excited about nines in Omelette...
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Scott Phillips played The Scrabbler's Scramble and had a few words disallowed...well all of them....including geranium, which is surely in the Scrabble dictionary. Is there an error with this wordlist?

Also it then said in aptochat:

Scott Phillips completed Star 2 of The Scrabbler's Scramble with a score of 0-0. Max game!

Clearly it wasn't a max game. Upon closer inspection it was since the "others" column has nothing in it.....iow the wordlist appears empty.
Bob De Caux
Enthusiast

Post by Bob De Caux »

Couple of points on the German variant that may be bugs or may just be me being stupid:
1) I don't seem to be able to declare words including umlauted vowels
2) I've had several capitalised words come up (Christoph, Suedkorea, Italiener) - probably too much effort to change, but thought I'd mention it
Last edited by Bob De Caux on Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Kirk Bevins wrote:Scott Phillips played The Scrabbler's Scramble and had a few words disallowed...well all of them....including geranium, which is surely in the Scrabble dictionary. Is there an error with this wordlist?

Scott Phillips completed Star 2 of The Scrabbler's Scramble with a score of 0-0. Max game!

Clearly it wasn't a max game. Upon closer inspection it was since the "others" column has nothing in it.....iow the wordlist appears empty.
There is definitely something wrong with it as only the numbers rounds worked properly.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Bob De Caux wrote:Couple of points on the German variant that may be bugs or may just be me being stupid:
1) I don't seem to be able to declare words including umlauted vowels
2) I've had several capitalised words come up (Christoph, Suedkorea, Italiener) - probably too much effort to change, but thought I'd mention it
For number 1 don't you just add the e after the umlauted vowel, e.g. súd (umlaut instead of accent) becomes sued?
Bob De Caux
Enthusiast

Post by Bob De Caux »

Maybe, I haven't tried it, but it seems odd as then you could declare a 10 letter word from a selection like clörmiheg (moeglicher)
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

Bob De Caux wrote:Maybe, I haven't tried it, but it seems odd as then you could declare a 10 letter word from a selection like clörmiheg (moeglicher)
I believe you'd have to have the e as well to declare the umluated word.
Bob De Caux
Enthusiast

Post by Bob De Caux »

Michael Wallace wrote: I believe you'd have to have the e as well to declare the umluated word.
Just to clarify, I have had selections with ö, ä and ü in, which can't be used as normal vowels (e.g. if I declare nötfall, Susie says I don't have the letters, as I would need o not ö) My question is how do I declare a word like früh? "Fruh" doesn't work and "frueh" (which is Kirk's idea and may work, I haven't tried yet) would probably score 5 points when it should be 4.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Bob De Caux wrote:1) I don't seem to be able to declare words including umlauted vowels
Will have a look at this.
All nouns are capitalised in German so there's not really any way to filter these out.
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

It does state in the Countdown rules accents may be ignored.
16/10/2007 - Episode 4460
Dinos Sfyris 76 - 78 Dorian Lidell
Proof that even idiots can get well and truly mainwheeled.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Kai Laddiman wrote:It does state in the Countdown rules accents may be ignored.
Yeah, but maybe that has further-reaching consequences in other languages. In English it's not that big a deal as we only have a small amount of adopted foreign words (and we probably try and lose the accents from them as much as we can anyway). It may be quite an important rule in other languages. I dunno, cos I was shit at languages, but it's a thought I just had and I thought you all should hear it.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Jon Corby wrote:
Kai Laddiman wrote:It does state in the Countdown rules accents may be ignored.
Yeah, but maybe that has further-reaching consequences in other languages. In English it's not that big a deal as we only have a small amount of adopted foreign words (and we probably try and lose the accents from them as much as we can anyway). It may be quite an important rule in other languages. I dunno, cos I was shit at languages, but it's a thought I just had and I thought you all should hear it.
You are indeed right. The umlauted A, O, and U are significant in German spelling, so I'm retaining those. Other accents are rare and not particularly significant so those are dropped.

There are a couple of examples of the Countdown rules not generalising well. For example I'd like to add a Hebrew variant but since Hebrew is written without vowels, I need some other way to organisation the selections. Suggestions welcome.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

Bob De Caux wrote:
Michael Wallace wrote: I believe you'd have to have the e as well to declare the umluated word.
Just to clarify, I have had selections with ö, ä and ü in
o rite - I thought umlauts weren't going to be in it (I blame Charlie for misleading me), but fortunately someone has shown up who knows what they're talking about, so I'll shut up :)
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Charlie Reams wrote:You are indeed right.

Not really, because I didn't realise you had umlauted letters in the pile, so I was going on about something quite different :)
Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

Why can I not note words down on Greek?
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Eoin Monaghan wrote:Why can I not note words down on Greek?
You can, you just have to note them in Greek. Remember that the Greek characters are entirely different to English characters, even if some of them happen to look similar.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Site is broked. Heyelp heyelp!
Matt Bayfield
Devotee

Post by Matt Bayfield »

For those of us with standard QWERTY keyboards, is there a quick way to enter Greek characters and accented vowels? Thus far, I can only think of:

(a) remembering a stack of the relevant alt-codes for the upper case characters
(b) copying and pasting individual upper case letters from, say, a Notepad or Word document

By the way, well done on all these language variations. I am determined to get a score close to 100 in German and Dutch standard 15s, despite my moderate vocabulary in both. I reckon a score of 40ish is probably the maximum I'll ever manage in Greek.

Incidentally, a request: if sufficient games have been played in each category, could French 9, 15, Conundrum Attack, Letters Attack (and ditto Greek or any other new languages) please be recognised as official formats, and added to the "Foreign Parts" records table? (This would recognise the achievements of those who have set great scores in French language games in the past. Which won't be me, btw - I only speak German and Dutch!) You might also want to change the Foreign Parts logo from the Dutch flag, to an EU flag, to the Olympic rings, to a globe... or maybe some other representation of the world. Not that this particularly matters.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

This isn't a bug report, but anyway:
Matt Bayfield wrote:For those of us with standard QWERTY keyboards, is there a quick way to enter Greek characters and accented vowels? Thus far, I can only think of:

(b) copying and pasting individual upper case letters from, say, a Notepad or Word document
You can switch your keyboard into Greek, but I've been doing it with Character Map. It's kind of annoying. I don't know whether the demand is great enough to make it worth doing anything else.
Charlie Reams wrote:By the way, well done on all these language variations. I am determined to get a score close to 100 in German and Dutch standard 15s, despite my moderate vocabulary in both. I reckon a score of 40ish is probably the maximum I'll ever manage in Greek.
Charlie Reams wrote:Incidentally, a request: if sufficient games have been played in each category, could French 9, 15, Conundrum Attack, Letters Attack (and ditto Greek or any other new languages) please be recognised as official formats, and added to the "Foreign Parts" records table? (This would recognise the achievements of those who have set great scores in French language games in the past. Which won't be me, btw - I only speak German and Dutch!)
Will do.
Charlie Reams wrote:You might also want to change the Foreign Parts logo from the Dutch flag, to an EU flag, to the Olympic rings, to a globe... or maybe some other representation of the world. Not that this particularly matters.
Yeah, I dunno why I picked Dutch. Maybe a globe would be apter(ous).
Matt Bayfield
Devotee

Post by Matt Bayfield »

Cheers Charlie. I know it wasn't a bug report but I posted it here as it was partially relevant to some of the posts above.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Matt Bayfield wrote:Cheers Charlie. I know it wasn't a bug report but I posted it here as it was partially relevant to some of the posts above.
But it makes me :cry: inside every time there's a new post in here.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Charlie Reams wrote: But it makes me :cry: inside every time there's a new post in here.
Awwww.
Simon Myers
Enthusiast

Post by Simon Myers »

Charlie Reams wrote:This isn't a bug report, but anyway:
Matt Bayfield wrote:For those of us with standard QWERTY keyboards, is there a quick way to enter Greek characters and accented vowels? Thus far, I can only think of:

You can switch your keyboard into Greek, but I've been doing it with Character Map. It's kind of annoying. I don't know whether the demand is great enough to make it worth doing anything else.
Click each letter in the selection to have that character appear in the notes box?
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

This game didn't hit the database properly it seems, although you can see the correct final score. It was the last one before the crash last night.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Simon Myers wrote:Click each letter in the selection to have that character appear in the notes box?
Top idea. This already works for the conundrum so it only took a few lines of code. Will roll this out tonight.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Ben Wilson wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote:I was playing a max-only numbers round and I clicked on the target and wasn't given the opportunity to enter my solution (having not entered it in the "notepad" stage). Yes, the the target was impossible (according to Apterous) but I still felt that it was a little "rude", but the main potential problem I thought of was that in hyper, Apterous doesn't always find a possible target so you could lose a round for getting it spot on. (I don't know what would happen if you managed to enter a valid solution in the time though).
http://apterous.org/viewgame.php?game=1 ... 2#r2146112

(9*4-10)*150+75-6-6-8 :(
This dual is a bit weird. I'm not 100% sure I know how Stepdown works but in the final round, it didn't seem to affect the points depending on whether Apterous could solve it (it sometimes solved it and sometimes didn't).
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Was well happy to get the numbers and the conundrum for the win....but what? I've lost? Why? On closer inspection I was only given 1 point instead of the usual 10. What was going on here?

http://www.apterous.org/viewgame.php?ke ... 7204969204
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Kirk Bevins wrote:Was well happy to get the numbers and the conundrum for the win....but what? I've lost? Why? On closer inspection I was only given 1 point instead of the usual 10. What was going on here?

http://www.apterous.org/viewgame.php?ke ... 7204969204
Maximums only + Omelette = weird shit. I think enough people have reported this now.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

"login" and "logout" need to be changed to "log in" and "log out".
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Gavin Chipper wrote:"login" and "logout" need to be changed to "log in" and "log out".
Why? Both are valid words.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Kirk Bevins wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote:"login" and "logout" need to be changed to "log in" and "log out".
Are they though? You often see them on sites, so I suppose they may have made the dictionary, but it completely goes against the general idea of writing what you speak. "login" is a word in that respect but only as a noun - you have a login and password. But no-one ever says (in spoken words) that they are going to login or logout. Would you say that you are loginning or loggingin?
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Kirk Bevins wrote:
Are they though? You often see them on sites, so I suppose they may have made the dictionary, but it completely goes against the general idea of writing what you speak. "login" is a word in that respect but only as a noun - you have a login and password. But no-one ever says (in spoken words) that they are going to login or logout. Would you say that you are loginning or loggingin?
Who says the words "login" and "logout" on the site aren't nouns?
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Kirk Bevins wrote:Who says the words "login" and "logout" on the site aren't nouns?
I've never heard "logout" used as a noun. "login" just means "username".
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Gavin Chipper wrote:I've never heard "logout" used as a noun. "login" just means "username".
It can also mean the act or process of logging in, e.g. "In the past hour there were 56 logins and only 27 logouts." :geek:
Jennifer Bett

Post by Jennifer Bett »

I've been trying for two days to log on to play apterous, and it just doesn't happen. :cry: Although it's probably a message from a higher power telling me to revise for my exams.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Phil Reynolds wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote:I've never heard "logout" used as a noun. "login" just means "username".
It can also mean the act or process of logging in, e.g. "In the past hour there were 56 logins and only 27 logouts." :geek:
Actually I did think that after I'd posted but it was too late - I'd already turned my computer off for the night. But I still don't think it really makes sense to use the nouns in the context of the hyperlink giving you the option to log in or log out.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Jennifer Bett wrote:I've been trying for two days to log on to play apterous, and it just doesn't happen. :cry: Although it's probably a message from a higher power telling me to revise for my exams.
Charlie is always getting people to revise for their exams...
Chris Philpot
Acolyte

Post by Chris Philpot »

I'm also unable to log in to Apterous at the moment. It just counts up through the 500 log in attempts but gets nowhere.

Edit: I've just read this. Sorry boss.
Andrew Feist
Enthusiast

Post by Andrew Feist »

Bug report with priority -1000000:

At least on Windows, when a new item appears, the items tab says "items [new]" but doesn't resize, so you see something like "items |". When you put your mouse on it, it becomes full-size, thus covering up the rules tab.

This doesn't affect anything at all, but I suppose is something to keep in mind if you want to add another tab to the game window.
Hugh Binnie
Enthusiast

Post by Hugh Binnie »

In a recent game, I buzzed in and incorrectly guessed the conundrum. Scott then buzzed in 0.1 seconds before me (?) with the correct answer.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Hugh Binnie wrote:In a recent game, I buzzed in and incorrectly guessed the conundrum. Scott then buzzed in 0.1 seconds before me (?) with the correct answer.
Just network lag, signals will often take longer than the difference between clicks to be acknowledged, so it'll sometimes appear that you clicked first even though you didn't.
Edwin Mead
Rookie

Post by Edwin Mead »

Marc Meakin wrote:
Kirk Bevins wrote:Scott Phillips played The Scrabbler's Scramble and had a few words disallowed...well all of them....including geranium, which is surely in the Scrabble dictionary. Is there an error with this wordlist?

There is definitely something wrong with it as only the numbers rounds worked properly.
Is this likely to be fixed soon?