Attention Ladies

Official forum of apterous.org, the website which allows you to play against other people over the Internet.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Attention Ladies

Post by Charlie Reams »

It upsets me that there are no women in the Top 25 on Pro Ranks. If there were a way to see the female sub-league, would that be a) interesting b) sexist c) both?
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Re: Attention Ladies

Post by Michael Wallace »

Charlie Reams wrote:It upsets me that there are no women in the Top 25 on Pro Ranks. If there were a way to see the female sub-league, would that be a) interesting b) sexist c) both?
Are there any ethnically other people in the top 25? You racist.
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Post by Howard Somerset »

Sod the women, I want an over 65s' sub-league.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Females, under 16s, over 65s. These would all be cool and not *too* offensive.
Gays, ethnic minorities, ugly people. These would be a step too far. (To have sex with.)
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Was I the only person who thought this thread was going to be Charlie's first attempt at Internet dating?
Karen Pearson
Devotee

Post by Karen Pearson »

Unnecessary and possibly a bit patronising IMHO.

I think the problem is that the girls don't seem as dedicated to improving as the guys. So, we either need to invest more time or accept that we're not going to top the league tables. I, for one, am not bothered about the lack of female representation at the top; league tables don't hold a great deal of importance for me (well, apart from the Spanish one!). I don't see a need for positive discrimination or special treatment etc.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

In the World Series of Poker Main Event, the "last woman standing" finished 121st in a field of 7,319 (216 of which were women). I dunno how good or bad that is, but I thought it might be relevant.
Karen Pearson wrote:I think the problem is that the girls don't seem as dedicated to improving as the guys.
I think this is probably the case in most things in life. I'm no sociologist so I'm happy to be flamed for thinking it, but aren't men just intrinsically more prone to be obsessed with things? Especially mathematical pursuits like I think Countdown, or at least Apterous, is.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Jon O'Neill wrote:aren't men just intrinsically more prone to be obsessed with things?
Yeah, like shopping, and shoes!!!!!1111 roflmao
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Michael Wallace wrote:Was I the only person who thought this thread was going to be Charlie's first attempt at Internet dating?
Yes. Has Meakin not taught you anything?
Miriam Nussbaum
Rookie

Post by Miriam Nussbaum »

Karen Pearson wrote:possibly a bit patronising IMHO
This. However, if there were a bunch of different filters (like if you could set your age on your profile and see the ratings of people over/under/between certain ages, or if you could set your location and see where you stand among all the Americans, &c.), then I wouldn't object to gender being one of them. Especially since it can already be set in your profile, it would be a logical choice.
Karen Pearson wrote:I think the problem is that the girls don't seem as dedicated to improving as the guys. So, we either need to invest more time or accept that we're not going to top the league tables.
Yeah, the top 25 people on Most Time Played are also male. (Although…I'm 27th. I end-round-early against Prune quite a lot, though.)
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Miriam Nussbaum wrote: Yeah, the top 25 people on Most Time Played are also male. (Although…I'm 27th. I end-round-early against Prune quite a lot, though.)
I don't think early round-ending is taken into account Miriam, I'd be impressed if it was! You'll have to work harder...
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Nice idea, Miriam.
Ian Volante wrote:
Miriam Nussbaum wrote: Yeah, the top 25 people on Most Time Played are also male. (Although…I'm 27th. I end-round-early against Prune quite a lot, though.)
I don't think early round-ending is taken into account Miriam, I'd be impressed if it was! You'll have to work harder...
I think that was her point.
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Karen Pearson wrote:I think the problem is that the girls don't seem as dedicated to improving as the guys.
But you're perfect the way you are sugartits xoxo
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Charlie Reams wrote:Nice idea, Miriam.
Ian Volante wrote:
I think that was her point.
Me not grasping the point? Shurely shome shurprise.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

I'd be massively offended if you do this. But other than that it sounds quite good.
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Charlie Reams wrote:It upsets me that there are no women in the Top 25 on Pro Ranks.
I think a good way to remedy this would be for some of the people in the top 25 to have sex changes.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

JimBentley wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote:It upsets me that there are no women in the Top 25 on Pro Ranks.
I think a good way to remedy this would be for some of the people in the top 25 to have sex changes.
Benjamina Hunter got there before Lady Ranks even began, that's some forward thinking shit right there.
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

Good point. I'd be the top rated woman. How's that for breaking the glass ceiling?
Lesley Hines
Kiloposter

Post by Lesley Hines »

I reckon it'd be interesting, but not just for the sake of 'seein' the wimmen good at summat...'. :lol: It'd be a nice extra statland page, although it would automatically exclude the ladies on here who are happy to play as shims.
Lowering the averages since 2009
Oliver Garner
Series 62 Champion

Post by Oliver Garner »

Thought Supee (S J) was on this list.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

I can see why people might consider it patronising, but I think it can be handled in a decent way, probably something like Miriam suggested where it's just one filter among several. I'd think of it as something like snooker or darts, where there's no biological reason (AFAIK) for men to be better than women, but for some reason women have never reached the same heights and therefore have their own league to make the competition more interesting. In fact it's more inclusive than that, since no one is suggesting that games are actually separated along gender lines -- it's only a way of filtering the final rankings to find some interesting facts, and if the top 25 was dominated by women then I'd be suggesting the exact same thing.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Charlie Reams wrote:I can see why people might consider it patronising, but I think it can be handled in a decent way, probably something like Miriam suggested where it's just one filter among several.
I wouldn't worry about having several filters for the sake of it. Those (very few, if any) that find it patronising would probably just think that the extra filters are just there for show.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Charlie Reams wrote:I can see why people might consider it patronising, but I think it can be handled in a decent way, probably something like Miriam suggested where it's just one filter among several. I'd think of it as something like snooker or darts, where there's no biological reason (AFAIK) for men to be better than women, but for some reason women have never reached the same heights and therefore have their own league to make the competition more interesting. In fact it's more inclusive than that, since no one is suggesting that games are actually separated along gender lines -- it's only a way of filtering the final rankings to find some interesting facts, and if the top 25 was dominated by women then I'd be suggesting the exact same thing.
Actually, I think large-breasted women may have a disadvantage at cue sports.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote:I can see why people might consider it patronising, but I think it can be handled in a decent way, probably something like Miriam suggested where it's just one filter among several.
I wouldn't worry about having several filters for the sake of it. Those (very few, if any) that find it patronising would probably just think that the extra filters are just there for show.
Agreed, but there are other interesting filters, like location, age, and cup size.
Miriam Nussbaum
Rookie

Post by Miriam Nussbaum »

Oliver Garner wrote:
Thought Supee (S J) was on this list.
Oh, right. See, I don't know who anyone is, especially those who just go by initials. XD
Gavin Chipper wrote:I wouldn't worry about having several filters for the sake of it. Those (very few, if any) that find it patronising would probably just think that the extra filters are just there for show.
I would be legitimately interested to see the rankings in a hypothetical "American league"! (I think there are enough of us around to make it interesting.)

Of course, all this is assuming that people would put their correct gender and location on their profiles. But once it made any difference to anything, I think it would be more likely that they would.
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

Miriam Nussbaum wrote:Of course, all this is assuming that people would put their correct gender and location on their profiles. But once it made any difference to anything, I think it would be more likely that they would.
Yeah it's probably time for me to go back to being a man on Apterous. But I felt so liberated :(
Liam Tiernan
Devotee

Post by Liam Tiernan »

Ben Hunter wrote:
Miriam Nussbaum wrote:Of course, all this is assuming that people would put their correct gender and location on their profiles. But once it made any difference to anything, I think it would be more likely that they would.
Yeah it's probably time for me to go back to being a man on Apterous. But I felt so liberated :(
Hope the operation goes alright for you, Ben. It's probably the only occasion where you DO want the surgeon to make a bollocks of things.
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

I have sent a 'request' (specified my birthday) but the blue box still displays at the top of the page. Is this deliberate? If so, fair enough.

Also, will this mean you will be able to filter Pro Ranks by age bracket? Awesome!
16/10/2007 - Episode 4460
Dinos Sfyris 76 - 78 Dorian Lidell
Proof that even idiots can get well and truly mainwheeled.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Liam Tiernan wrote:
Ben Hunter wrote:
Hope the operation goes alright for you, Ben. It's probably the only occasion where you DO want the surgeon to make a bollocks of things.
So after being banned, Meakin's at this account hacking thing.
Lesley Hines
Kiloposter

Post by Lesley Hines »

Ben Hunter wrote:
It's ok Ben, you can still wear your La Perlas and Manolo Blahniks while you're playing ;)
Lowering the averages since 2009
Liam Tiernan
Devotee

Post by Liam Tiernan »

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Liam Tiernan wrote:
Ben Hunter wrote: Yeah it's probably time for me to go back to being a man on Apterous. But I felt so liberated :(
So after being banned, Meakin's at this account hacking thing.
Maybe you should do Bens operation, Gavin. You seem to be well practised in making a prick of yourself, at any rate. ;)
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

Lesley Hines wrote:
Ben Hunter wrote:
It's ok Ben, you can still wear your La Perlas and Manolo Blahniks while you're playing ;)
Thanks, but I tend to wear nothing while playing Apterous.