Why do you play Apterous?

Official forum of apterous.org, the website which allows you to play against other people over the Internet.

I've been on Countdown but wanted more
20%
I want to become good so I can go on Countdown one day
30%
I am adddicted, so not really my decision
19%
Someone told me/forced me/blackmailed me to
No votes
Just for a bit of fun, but don't take it at all seriously
22%
I haven't yet
6%
I don't anymore
4%

Total votes: 54

Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

Somebody just tried to shame me on the forum, but I'm not that bothered because it's only a game to me, and I only recently started playing and just dip in occasionally. I was also having a chat in the chatroom this week with someone who has been on Countdown about the different degrees of seriousness with which people play the game. So, why do you play Apterous?
Living life in a gyratory circus kind of way.
Karen Pearson
Devotee

Re: Why do you play Apterous?

Post by Karen Pearson »

Definitely just for fun. Can't see the point of taking it too seriously. It IS just game after all! Never seen the point of cheating or sulking if you lose (probably just as well given how often I lose!).
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

I notice no one has yet voted for "I don't any more" but would be curious to hear from anyone who does, in terms of what I could do better.
Darren Carter
What a lot of bling

Post by Darren Carter »

Started off playing it to improve so I could go on the show one day. Got bored of waiting to be good so just went on anyway and now just play it for fun.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

I love playing Countdown so that's why I play apterous. I also love practising to get better and with quality competition in the house with the likes of the top 3 Series 61 chaps it makes it even more enjoyable for me to play.
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

To groom Larsen through the early hours of the morning
Kieran Child
Enthusiast

Post by Kieran Child »

Dinos Sfyris wrote:To groom Larsen through the early hours of the morning
GTFO COMPETITION :evil:
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

Well, i've voted for options two and three, but neither are entirely accurate. Now, had there been an option 'because it's just fupping fantastic' that would have summed it up.
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

Andy Wilson wrote:Now, had there been an option 'because it's just fupping fantastic' that would have summed it up.
That would have been too easy, and would have invalidated the more specific reasons that people play by people just ticking that.
Also I would have had to include a "because I'm bored/don't know what else to do" option to balance it out.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

To annoy my missus. That's what she seems to think anyway.
Matthew Green
Devotee

Post by Matthew Green »

I 'don't anymore'.

Nothing wrong with the game, far from it. I just suddenly lost all interest and struggled to get it back. I might have a game now though to see if the magic has returned.
If I suddenly have a squirming baby on my lap it probably means that I should start paying it some attention and stop wasting my time messing around on a Countdown forum
Jimmy Gough
Devotee

Post by Jimmy Gough »

I used to be actually addicted to apterous. Now I don't play so much. It's fun every now and again but I've lost the real passion I had for Countdown and getting good.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

^ ^ above two posts: APTEROUS IS KILLING COUNTDOWN
Simon Le Fort
Rookie

Post by Simon Le Fort »

Hello everybody

This is my first post and I've been on the apterous site for 7 days now.

I could instantly add another reason for playing: I live in the Alps and have limited exposure to mother-tongue level wordplay so this is an ideal site. But I also have limited contact with other mother-tongue speakers in general, so it's a way both to maintain my mother tongue and, on experience so far, to meet very friendly people during the games, after work days spent in another language.

Derek was especially welcoming and directed me this evening to this forum, so thanks to him. And I have zoomed in of course on his thread.

I imagine reasons for playing, or not playing, will change with exposure. The first nights were surely addictive. Funny how a run of losses cures the addiction quickly! Then there are feelings of not getting a game, why doesn't anyone want to play with me? But it's all about my ignorance at this stage , there's a lot to learn, a lot of etiquette. Getting the hang of the numbers at the start was frightening, so I feel I have achieved something important there.

Funny thing is I enjoy the chatting to the opponents, like Derek today, but as soon as I saw this forum my heart plummeted with guilt as I read CHATTING, WHAT IT IS AND WHY YOU SHOULDN'T DO IT. I thought of all those kind opponents of the first week who must have thought I was a sneak, and of what gaffes I have been making. Fortunately I read the opening post and understood my mistake.

The site itself is quite amazing and thanks to those who run it. I imagine I'll keep exploring for weeks and will then move on to playing the robots etc, but for now I just like meeting new opponents each time I play.

I'm Anglo Italian on the game as I have been Anglo Italian for 6 years on the site I co-run, but I abide by rules, so signed in here with my real name. On our site I'm "Anglo" to everyone and wouldn't have it any other way.

Hope my ramblings aren't too off topic, and thanks again to Derek for the guidance, and suggesting I make a post here.
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

Welcome Simon!

Great opening post, even though I didn't know your real name until now.

Look forward to reading more of these well-written posts - and maybe some people here might even be interested in your retro wrestling group!

It amazes me that people play Apterous without knowing about this place though. They, and possibly we, are missing out.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Simon Le Fort wrote:CHATTING, WHAT IT IS AND WHY YOU SHOULDN'T DO IT
:lol:

Welcome :)
Simon Le Fort
Rookie

Post by Simon Le Fort »

Thank you for your kind welcomes.

None of these have helped and my rating has shrivelled since I got distracted by this forum. Your fault Derek, I'll send you an invoice for 100 points.

One thing I don't understand that Derek wrote:

"It amazes me that people play Apterous without knowing about this place though. They, and possibly we, are missing out."

I'm not amazed. I'm not amazed at all. The game is alive, surely it's better to play than talk about playing? I must be missing something 'cause you're heading for the Ton of posts.

Our site is http://www.wrestlingheritage.co.uk. If anyone remembers Les Kellett or The Wild Man of Borneo, this is the place to go. We have a lot to say there because the subject is dead and buried, ie British wrestling 1946 to 1977. If it were alive, we'd all still be going to shows and not describing on the net.

Anyway, all bit too wordy perhaps. Just to explain why I can't, for the moment at least, envisage myself greatly involved on this forum.

Off to get another drubbing at apterous.

Bye
Anglo
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

Well, you were a nice guy. ;)
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Simon Le Fort wrote:One thing I don't understand that Derek wrote:

"It amazes me that people play Apterous without knowing about this place though. They, and possibly we, are missing out."

I'm not amazed. I'm not amazed at all. The game is alive, surely it's better to play than talk about playing?
You have only played 46 games tho Simon! Wait til you've played a few hundred and you'll realise that forum time is complementary to apterous time, and not just a case of one taking away from the other.

Also, pointing out the obvious maybe but a quick look around the forum will reveal that the game itself probably makes up much less than 50% of what is discussed on here.