Words you like like to get

Official forum of apterous.org, the website which allows you to play against other people over the Internet.
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Words you like like to get

Post by JackHurst »

Post and discuss words you would like to get on apterous here, I'll get things going.

Quincunx: Since I heard the word I'd have a mad craving to be able to use it an apterous, but because its made up of such obscure letters, I doubt I'll ever get the chance to.

Extropian: Just a cool nine I learned from stemming.

Shitface: Just cos its valid, I feel sorry for Paul Howe though

Theres a few others such as Hyperbola, Asmyptote which are in my vocabulary cos of maths.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Re: Words you like like to get

Post by Charlie Reams »

I missed the opportunity to get KAOLINITE the other day by picking a final consonant, and the first vowel in the next round was the I that I needed :(
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Words you, like, like to get, yeah?

I'd like to be able to get URINATES, ffs.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Recently learned in Scrabble* and very possible in unlimited.

*Okay it's >40 000 on the probability list, but still...
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

AHOLEHOLE, always has been and probably always will be. EPISTAXIS is slightly more likely, but I'd almost certainly miss it if it did happen to appear. Oh, and EQUIVOQUE in Unlimited.
Andrew Hulme
Acolyte

Post by Andrew Hulme »

laid
Darren Carter
What a lot of bling

Post by Darren Carter »

I would love to get PISSHEADS......
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

JimBentley wrote:AHOLEHOLE, always has been and probably always will be.
A lot of people say they're vegetarian but eat fish. Personally I'm an atheist so I pray to the almighty Cod. Then there's my friend who's celibate, but it's OK as long as she takes it up the aholehole.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Junaid Mubeen
Series 59 Champion

Post by Junaid Mubeen »

Ever since DoD stumped me with SONICATE+O in the Green Room at CofC, I've wanted to get this. My wait is over!
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

Junaid Mubeen wrote:Ever since DoD stumped me with SONICATE+O in the Green Room at CofC, I've wanted to get this. My wait is over!
How could he stump you with that? That's like the most obvious word ever...
16/10/2007 - Episode 4460
Dinos Sfyris 76 - 78 Dorian Lidell
Proof that even idiots can get well and truly mainwheeled.
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Post by JackHurst »

Shake your DOJO
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

I have another one- The ODE-only anagram of the CSW-only BREAKTIME^. Who says Oxford has all the normal words and Collins all the silly ones? ;-)
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

I like to get all of them.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

I got STELLING. Unfortunately it's not a word, so later in the same game I got ARSEHOLE. Result :!:
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

James Robinson wrote:I got STELLING. Unfortunately it's not a word, so later in the same game I got ARSEHOLE. Result :!:
As much as you hate pedantry James, you've only got ARSEHOLE once (wayhey) and it wasn't in the same game as you offered STELLING^.

http://www.apterous.org/viewgame.php?ga ... 7#r1772377
Kieran Child
Enthusiast

Post by Kieran Child »

I know it's been picked up on a couple of times when people get a conundrum in 30.7 seconds and so on, but in the above game, James manages to fool the clock that 10 seconds didn't exist... wonder what the latest is anyone has solved a conundrum.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Kieran Child wrote:I know it's been picked up on a couple of times when people get a conundrum in 30.7 seconds and so on, but in the above game, James manages to fool the clock that 10 seconds didn't exist... wonder what the latest is anyone has solved a conundrum.
I think Damian has one from like 700 seconds or something. No idea how that happened.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Kirk Bevins wrote:
James Robinson wrote:I got STELLING. Unfortunately it's not a word, so later in the same game I got ARSEHOLE. Result :!:
As much as you hate pedantry James, you've only got ARSEHOLE once (wayhey) and it wasn't in the same game as you offered STELLING^.

http://www.apterous.org/viewgame.php?ga ... 7#r1772377
It was definitely during the same day, I actually thought after I wrote it down that it wasn't from the same game, but never mind.
Kieran Child wrote:I know it's been picked up on a couple of times when people get a conundrum in 30.7 seconds and so on, but in the above game, James manages to fool the clock that 10 seconds didn't exist... wonder what the latest is anyone has solved a conundrum.
If you look at the game, Kieran, you'll see that it's a Goatdown game, so there are an extra 15 seconds after the last letter in the conundrum is revealed.
Kieran Child
Enthusiast

Post by Kieran Child »

I always thought that in goatdown, the conundrums worked something like: 20 seconds without the last letter, then 10 with the last letter.
So it still added up to 30.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Kieran Child wrote:I always thought that in goatdown, the conundrums worked something like: 20 seconds without the last letter, then 10 with the last letter.
Sounds like someone needs to read the manual.
Kieran Child
Enthusiast

Post by Kieran Child »

I looked it up and couldn't find it. *shrug*
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

Kieran Child wrote:I always thought that in goatdown, the conundrums worked something like: 20 seconds without the last letter, then 10 with the last letter.
Same here, looks like it's changed at some point to the current set up.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Kieran Child wrote:I looked it up and couldn't find it. *shrug*
Goatdown
  • Conundrums
    • Image 8 letters will appear, and the 9th will be blank. You have to solve the conundrum by trying to work out what the missing letter is. There is still only one solution to the conundrum.
    • Image If the conundrum has not been solved after the normal round time is expired, the 9th letter will be filled in, and there will be an additional half-a-round's worth of time to solve it with all the letters revealed.
    • For example, if you are playing 30 second rounds, the 9th letter will be blank for 30 seconds and then filled in for 15 seconds. Playing 10 second rounds, the ratio is the same - 10 seconds with the 9th letter hidden, and 5 seconds with the full reveal.
    • The clock timer includes the combined maximum amount of seconds the conundrum will last for if not guessed, i.e. 45 seconds for a 30 second round game.
    • A conundrum solution with all 9 letters revealed is worth 7 points, the full 10 points is only awarded with the 9th letter still hidden.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Michael Wallace wrote:
Same here, looks like it's changed at some point to the current set up.
Charlie will have to let you know the proper answer to that. Obviously the manual's, what, 9 months old? So it hasn't changed in that time.
My only guess is that you're forgetting a round is always represented by half a clock, no matter whether it's 30 seconds or not.
Craig Beevers
Series 57 Champion

Post by Craig Beevers »

STELLING is a word, it's just not in ODE. It is in CSW however where STELL means to establish.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Craig Beevers wrote:
STELLING is a word, it's just not in ODE. It is in CSW however where STELL means to establish.
Here's me getting STELLING disallowed.

http://www.apterous.org/viewgame.php?game=120572

P.S. I don't know about anyone else, but I think that Jeff has stelled himself very well in the Countdown hotseat.
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Post by JackHurst »

I came across XENOPHYTE whilst browsing the 2 pages of x words in my dictionary, so I looked it up on apterous, and was puzzled to find that it has been a conundrum just once; here.

Any reason why its been used just the once up to now?

(I couldn't find anywhere to post this, so thought I'd put it here, because I suppose XENOPHYTE is a word I would like to get)
Simon Myers
Enthusiast

Post by Simon Myers »

JackHurst wrote:I came across XENOPHYTE whilst browsing the 2 pages of x words in my dictionary, so I looked it up on apterous, and was puzzled to find that it has been a conundrum just once; here.

(I couldn't find anywhere to post this, so thought I'd put it here, because I suppose XENOPHYTE is a word I would like to get)
It's not in the ODE Apterous conundrum list (even if you include the 1100 new conundrums Charlie just added). The game you linked to is an OSW French conundrum attack.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Simon Myers wrote:
JackHurst wrote:I came across XENOPHYTE whilst browsing the 2 pages of x words in my dictionary, so I looked it up on apterous, and was puzzled to find that it has been a conundrum just once; here.

It's not in the ODE Apterous conundrum list (even if you include the 1100 new conundrums Charlie just added). The game you linked to is an OSW French conundrum attack.
And that was XEROPHYTE, not XENOPHYTE.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

I imagine after that double blow from both Kirk and his trainer, Jack will have zero fight left in him.
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Post by JackHurst »

After talking to people about PRONUCLEI for about a week now, I was absolutely gutted when I missed the chance to pick it out in this game, but overjoyed when I made amends for it in this game. Pencil.

Edit: Here are all the exclamation marks that I forgot to include on the original post !!!!!
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

JackHurst wrote:After talking to people about PRONUCLEI for about a week now, I was absolutely gutted when I missed the chance to pick it out in this game, but overjoyed when I made amends for it in this game. Pencil.

Edit: Here are all the exclamation marks that I forgot to include on the original post !!!!!
I wanted an S for SUPERCOIL so was annoyed when he didn't pick it. After Jack spent 2 or 3 minutes at the start of the game talking to me about how awesome PRONUCLEI is and then I go on to miss it in round 13, cue loads of swearing and annoyance in the in-game chat room.
Alec Rivers
Devotee

Post by Alec Rivers »

JackHurst wrote:After talking to people about PRONUCLEI for about a week now, I was absolutely gutted when I missed the chance to pick it out in this game
Erm, maybe I'm being thick, but there doesn't seem to be an L in the selection, which is probably why the word is not listed in 'Others'.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Alec Rivers wrote:
JackHurst wrote:After talking to people about PRONUCLEI for about a week now, I was absolutely gutted when I missed the chance to pick it out in this game
Erm, maybe I'm being thick, but there doesn't seem to be an L in the selection, which is probably why the word is not listed in 'Others'.
Yes I think you are, Alec. It was goatdown and he picked the wrong letter hence he said he was gutted he missed the chance to "pick it out".
Alec Rivers
Devotee

Post by Alec Rivers »

Kirk Bevins wrote:
Alec Rivers wrote:
Yes I think you are, Alec. It was goatdown and he picked the wrong letter hence he said he was gutted he missed the chance to "pick it out".
D'oh. I never play it, that's why. Image
Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

RAUWOLFIA as I learnt it the other day.
Andrew Hulme
Acolyte

Post by Andrew Hulme »

Charlie Reams wrote:I missed the opportunity to get KAOLINITE the other day by picking a final consonant, and the first vowel in the next round was the I that I needed :(
http://apterous.org/viewgame.php?game=1 ... 8#r2322478

eat word lol
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Andrew Hulme wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote:I missed the opportunity to get KAOLINITE the other day by picking a final consonant, and the first vowel in the next round was the I that I needed :(
http://apterous.org/viewgame.php?game=1 ... 8#r2322478

eat word lol
I hate you and I hope you lose to Frank Mulvey at coc.