Game of the Year (GotY) 2020 - voting

Official forum of apterous.org, the website which allows you to play against other people over the Internet.
Elliott Mellor
Devotee

Game of the Year (GotY) 2020 - voting

Post by Elliott Mellor »

Thanks to all those who submitted nominations for GotY 2020.

We again had a very high turnout of nominators this year, leading to a mammoth amount of games being nominated – the cutoff for this year was an astonishing 5 nominations! Such is the high standard of apterous this past year and this was duly recognised by the overwhelming turnout of nominators. There are 13 games again this year.

Voting rules:

Each person should submit one of 12 options for each game when voting: 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 or Abstain (0 is worst and 10 is best). You can submit the same vote for as many games as you like. The games will be ranked by the average score received from the 0-10 votes (abstentions excluded), with the highest average score declared as the winner. You should submit a vote for every game, and abstentions are only permitted for games you were involved in (but you don't have to abstain in any case). Please ensure you pay attention to the variants and context, these games are here for a reason.

Nominees

Game A: Rob Foster 299 – 0 Apterous Prune
Game B: Rob Foster 1000 - 1007 Apterous Rex
Game C: Elliott Mellor 156 – 146 Jack Worsley
Game D: Apterous Prune 0 – 205 Jack Worsley
Game E: Dave Robjohns 571 – 0 Apterous Prune
Game F: Apterous Rex 660 – 650 Bradley Horrocks
Game G: Vincent Barnet 172 – 96 Phil Hannan
Game H: Luke Johnson-Davies 172 – 162 James Haughton
Game I: Apterous Prune 0 – 177 Rob Foster
Game J: Matthew S Rutherford 24 – 117 Ronan Higginson
Game K: Apterous Prune 0 – 1095 Jack Worsley
Game L: Dave Robjohns 169 – 0 Apterous Prune
Game M: Apterous Prune 0 – 152 Elliott Mellor

So, without further ado...

VOTING FOR GotY 2020 IS NOW OPEN AND WILL CLOSE ON SATURDAY 20 MARCH 2021 AT 11.59pm. VOTES SHOULD BE SUBMITTED TO ME BY PRIVATE MESSAGE ON THIS FORUM OR BY APTOMAIL. PLEASE SUBMIT EACH VOTE CLEARLY AND UNAMBIGUOUSLY, FOR EXAMPLE:

A - 4
B - 9
C - 7
D - 10
E - 5
F - 4
G – 10
H - 9
I - 7
J - 8
K - 9
L - 8
M - 10

Happy voting! :)

As an addendum, there were some games which narrowly missed out on making the cut, but nonetheless I feel deserve a mention here:
Apterous Prune 0 – 193 Callum Todd
Sam Cappleman-Lynes 5340 - 5350 Apterous Soap
Conor Travers 137 - 123 Apterous Prime
Elliott Mellor
Devotee

Re: Game of the Year (GotY) 2020 - voting

Post by Elliott Mellor »

Less than two weeks left to vote!
Elliott Mellor
Devotee

Post by Elliott Mellor »

Only a few days left to get votes in!
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

I must remember to do this.
Elliott Mellor
Devotee

Post by Elliott Mellor »

Last day to vote!
Elliott Mellor
Devotee

Post by Elliott Mellor »

THE GotY 2020 POLL HAS NOW CLOSED.

A HUGE thank you to all those who nominated and voted this year. Taking on this responsibility, I wasn't sure what to expect originally. Last year, with such an enormous turnout, I wondered if it was possibly just a flash in the pan. However, I am very pleased to say that turnout this year was even bigger! Seeing so many people get involved really does make it such a joy to run. To get TWENTY voters really is flooring. Y'all are amazing <3

So, as decided by the (huge amount of) voters...

GOTY 2020 goes to Vincent Barnet 172 - 96 Phil Hannan
In second place we have Dave Robjohns 169 - 0 Apterous Prune
In third place we have Apterous Rex 660 - 650 Bradley Horrocks

Congratulations to Vincent and Phil for playing out the first foreign language game to win GotY (and the first to even get a podium finish), and to Dave and Rex (okay then, Bra...) for very worthy second and third places. These are truly incredible games and I am frequently in awe at what some of you are capable of producing. This really was on a knife-edge, and the top two especially could have swung either way. In fact, the order was different until I received another submission late last night! :o

Honourable mentions go to the following, which narrowly missed out on the top 3:
Apterous Prune 0 - 152 Elliott Mellor
Apterous Prune 0 – 1095 Jack Worsley

See you all next year for GOTY 2021!

Thanks again! :D