Apterous World Cup 2018: Round of 16

Official forum of apterous.org, the website which allows you to play against other people over the Internet.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Apterous World Cup 2018: Round of 16

Post by Matt Morrison »

Previously: Announcement | Qualifying | Team Assignations and Group Stage Draw

Before I carry on, I must absolutely apologise for one of the worst run tournaments ever. Sorry. Battling uphill from Day 1 I think due to starting it after the real World Cup hype had already died. Will try harder next time, I promise. Let's just get this absolute shitfest done.

Congratulations to those that made it out of their groups, commiserations to those that didn't.

Group Stage results

Group Stage final tables

How accurate were we?

Let's have a look at our round of 16 compared to what happened in the real tournament:

Darker blue highlight shows perfection - the team qualified in the real World Cup too, and they did it in the same league position.
Lighter blue highlight shows the team qualified in the real World Cup but in the other position (e.g. 1st in apterous group, 2nd in real group).

Overall we got 14/16 of the teams correct, and 7 of those 14 were perfect.
I'd say this is a decent improvement on last time round's 10/16 (8 perfect) so well done everybody.

Those that bucked the trend of the real world cup were Germany (Zarte) going through instead of Sweden and Poland (Bradley) going through in place of Japan - both performing more like you'd have expected their respective teams to in the real World Cup, proving the Countdown world provides less interesting shocks and giant-killings than football does!

Special shouts out to groups A and E which not only got the 1st and 2nd place teams and positions correct but were bang on right through 3rd and 4th too. Well done!

Draw for the Round of 16

This is on apterous now, get playing as soon as possible! https://www.apterous.org/to_tourney.php?tourney=2394

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Re: Apterous World Cup 2018: Round of 16

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Matt Morrison wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:33 am Congratulations to those that made it out of their groups, commiserations to those that didn't.
So am I still in my group?
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Re: Apterous World Cup 2018: Round of 16

Post by Matt Morrison »

Yeah me and you are going to have a wooden spoon decider match to see who is allowed to leave the group and rejoin the real world.