Too quick!

Official forum of apterous.org, the website which allows you to play against other people over the Internet.
Vikash Shah
Rookie

Too quick!

Post by Vikash Shah »

Hi! (Especially to those that met me at COLON last week).

I thought I would finally give apterous a try and attempted the Game vs Guardian thing to start with. Thing is, I can think quick but not physically type quick because of disability. I rely on moving a mouse cursor around the screen and clicking on letters to type. So I timed-out on clicking the first number for the numbers solution and had to forfeit, and although I spotted the conundrum solution which was REBELLING in the rush to type it in I submitted REBELLIN as I misclicked on the G and didn't register before I rushed to submit.

Can something be done to make it more playable for me? Obviously something that doesn't give me a competitive advantage.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Re: Too quick!

Post by Matt Morrison »

Time for voice-activated apterous?
Vikash Shah
Rookie

Post by Vikash Shah »

That would help, but I seriously doubt the investment needed would be there! I'm using voice recognition software to type this message, but it isn't reliable enough to use in a timed situation. If the timeout could be increased to say 4 seconds per character on a per-game basis, by mutual agreement of both players (or just one player if the other one is a bot), then although I think it would put the other player who can type quickly at a slight advantage to me it would at least enable me to submit my answers in time.

Another cool idea would be to play co-event style rounds in groups of 3, with one person acting as a host/umpire/referee while the other two play, and letting them decide when someone's not playing fair. That could be combined with some videoconferencing platform so you can actually interact better with each other and also say your answers - and then it doesn't really matter how long it takes to submit them to the site.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

maybe there should be a non timed version for people with such difficulties
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Matt Bayfield
Devotee

Post by Matt Bayfield »

Vik: You can try playing in Practice mode. It has much, much more generous "patience time" on each step of the numbers interface, and likewise much more generous "patience time" to type in each following letter of your conundrum solution once you've typed in the first letter. Go to Custom Challenge, Full Custom, and select Practice game (not saved).

You can challenge anyone to a practice game on apterous. Obviously this means you won't be able to enjoy all the features on apterous, e.g. your games will not be saved, you won't be eligible for ProRanks, and you won't be able to play certain types of bot game (Ascension, Star Charts) or preset tournament games very easily.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

I could imagine having custom timers for users who find the current interface totally inaccessible. I'll message you privately Vik and we can figure out what works for you.
Vikash Shah
Rookie

Post by Vikash Shah »

Thanks Charlie.