Countdown in Lincoln 2012- Saturday 28th January

Discussion and announcements relating to unofficial Countdown competitions, held online or in real life. Observation, discussion, reflection, and other stuff ending in -ion.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Re: Countdown in Lincoln 2012- Saturday 28th January

Post by Matt Morrison »

Yeah I'm seriously not missing it though. If they do it Saturday lunchtime then apologies to anyone I'm playing but I'll also be watching Sky Sports on my phone.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Matt Morrison wrote:If they do it Saturday lunchtime then apologies to anyone I'm playing but I'll also be watching Sky Sports on my phone.
No point, Sky Sports have no FA Cup rights......... :roll:

And using normal logic, it will most likely be Sunday lunchtime, as that's when ITV will show it, since it won't be on ESPN.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Oh yeah, good point James! Forgot about that. When you don't have Sky, you wish every match was on terrestrial; when you do have Sky, you wish every match was on it.
Fingers crossed for Sunday then.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Yeah.. I'm probably going to Anfield if it's on the Saturday..
Matt Morrison wrote:Fingers crossed for Sunday then.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Take your stupid religion elsewhere, guys.
Matt Bayfield
Devotee

Post by Matt Bayfield »

Yes please to lunch. Casserole and apple pie sound grand.

I can send a cheque if you really want, though seems a bit of a faff if you don't mind waiting for cash on the day.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

A couple of things...

I will need people to bring along copies of the board game where they can. If you can definitely bring along a copy or more, please let me know just so I don't spend the night before COLIN tossing and turning. If you could bring along a copy of the ODE3 too I'd also be grateful. I will have with me an app on my iPhone loaded with the latest copy of the apterous wordlist (I'd be happy to show other people how to load this) but obviously I'll need the book itself for any disputes.

Also, as people may recall, in previous years numbers haven't quite made a multiple of three, so would anybody currently coming along but not playing be willing to be a reserve in case numbers fall short? I myself will be second reserve but I will need another just in case.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Ben Wilson wrote:I will have with me an app on my iPhone loaded with the latest copy of the apterous wordlist (I'd be happy to show other people how to load this)
Me and Heather both have iPhones so can help on this front.
Thomas Carey
Kiloposter

Post by Thomas Carey »

I have a board game which I can bring but it is missing an A.
cheers maus
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Thomas Carey wrote:I have a board game which I can bring but it is missing an A.
Don't you mean a bord game?
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Matt Morrison wrote:
Thomas Carey wrote:I have a board game which I can bring but it is missing an A.
Don't you mean a bord game?
Big like. :lol: But seriously, a missing vowel here or there isn't going to matter much.
Adam Dexter
Enthusiast

Post by Adam Dexter »

Ooo I would like some luncheon too s'il vous plait :) If there's still some going I'll paypal you the monies.
ADAM DEXTER: MAXED DATER
We're off to button moon :)
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Adam Dexter wrote:Ooo I would like some luncheon too s'il vous plait :) If there's still some going I'll paypal you the monies.
Yep, still a few left available.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Matt Morrison wrote:Yeah I'm seriously not missing it though. If they do it Saturday lunchtime then apologies to anyone I'm playing but I'll also be watching Sky Sports on my phone.
Prepare for disruption :!:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012 ... ted-fa-cup?
Joseph Krol
Kiloposter

Post by Joseph Krol »

I will bring my ODE3. Complete with WASSAIL and APHICIDAL.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

For fuck's cunting sake. Don't know what to do.
Thomas Carey
Kiloposter

Post by Thomas Carey »

Matt Morrison wrote:For fuck's cunting sake. Don't know what to do.
My advice: go to COLIN. You can tape the football or use some other means of watching it later, but you can't play in or even watch COLIN later. The most you can do is read the recaps, and hardly anybody does them.

But it's up to you.
cheers maus
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Thomas Carey wrote:
Matt Morrison wrote:For fuck's cunting sake. Don't know what to do.
My advice: go to COLIN. You can tape the football or use some other means of watching it later, but you can't play in or even watch COLIN later. The most you can do is read the recaps, and hardly anybody does them.

But it's up to you.
I can record bits of COLIN, but only bits. I recorded several bits of Co:Lon, including Rac's introductions, some of the final and the prizegiving. I'll happily stick it on a memory stick and let you copy it if you want.

Of course, the only place I can do this is at COLIN. :mrgreen:
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote:
Ben Wilson wrote:DETAILS OF FOOD

There will indeed be a cooked lunch available at COLIN this year, and here are the details:

For the main course you have a choice of sausage casserole or (for the veggies) a stilton and broccoli quiche, served with mashed potato and peas. Dessert will consist of apple pie with custard or cream.

Unfortunately due to space in the COLIN kitchen I can only offer up 20 lunches so it'll be first-come, first-served. The cost will be £2.50, preferably paid in advance.
So would the Stilton speicfy on it that it's vegetarian? A lot of people think that cheese is automatically vegetarian, when it actually isn't.
But assuming all is well, I'll have that and the apple pie without custard or cream, if I'm not too late.
So presumably all would be above board on the veggie option, Ben?
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Ben Wilson wrote:I recorded several bits of Co:Lon, including Rac's
Ugh
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Gavin Chipper wrote:So presumably all would be above board on the veggie option, Ben?
Should be but I'll confirm tonight.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

As long as lunch is on time 2nd half in the pub. Hopefully the round before lunch will finish a bit earlier than planned and can catch the end of the 1st too.
Looks like that will have to be the best that can be hoped for.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Ben Wilson wrote:I will need people to bring along copies of the board game where they can. If you can definitely bring along a copy or more, please let me know just so I don't spend the night before COLIN tossing and turning.
You won this item on eBay: Countdown game, 2-6 players, age 10-adult 320824501012‏

So hopefully if this ships in time I will be able to bring one. I'll keep you informed. There's another one ending in 2 days time too which I'm highest bidder on.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote:So would the Stilton speicfy on it that it's vegetarian? A lot of people think that cheese is automatically vegetarian, when it actually isn't.
But assuming all is well, I'll have that and the apple pie without custard or cream, if I'm not too late.
So presumably all would be above board on the veggie option, Ben?
Jesus, are you really that picky? Vegetarians...pah.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Kirk Bevins wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote:So presumably all would be above board on the veggie option, Ben?
You see Kirk I thought this but didn't actually say anything. You however did. This is why I love you.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Kirk Bevins wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote:So would the Stilton speicfy on it that it's vegetarian? A lot of people think that cheese is automatically vegetarian, when it actually isn't.
What a dickish comment! I doubt you'd be happy to play darts with plastic darts. (That somehow is an equivalent comparison.)
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

Matt Morrison wrote:
Kirk Bevins wrote:
What a dickish comment! I doubt you'd be happy to play darts with plastic darts. (That somehow is an equivalent comparison.)
Darts made from the bones of people killed exclusively for making darts, maybe.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Ryan Taylor wrote:You see Kirk I thought this but didn't actually say anything. You however did. This is why I love you.
It's true, Kirk always just says what we're all thinking but too afraid to say. He's like Jon Gaunt.

It does seem overly fussy when somebody says "there's [x] for the vegetarians" to then question them on the ingredients of [x]. He's specifically stated that it's an option for the vegetarians, so if you don't trust him on that, don't have it.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

The cheese that will be used has a white V on a green background on the back of it.

In an ironic twist though, it turns out it isn't actually stilton but another British blue, so whilst the veggies will be happy, cheese connoisseurs will be a bit unhappy.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Jon Corby wrote:
Ryan Taylor wrote:You see Kirk I thought this but didn't actually say anything. You however did. This is why I love you.
It does seem overly fussy when somebody says "there's [x] for the vegetarians" to then question them on the ingredients of [x]. He's specifically stated that it's an option for the vegetarians, so if you don't trust him on that, don't have it.
I am sure you lot sometimes think of Gevin as a bit of a stirrer, a pedant, what have you. But I think you're being a bit stirry to accuse him of being stirry by asking.
It is a commonly known fact (by definition commonly known to vegetarians and not necessarily commonly known to meat eaters) that many people who have no need to know, are unaware that some cheese is not vegetarian. Same with the gelatine in sweets.

Now the only person who looks good in this exchange is Ben, as long as he claims his choice of specifically-vegetarian cheese was entirely deliberate and not just a lucky accident. :)
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Matt Morrison wrote:I am sure you lot sometimes think of Gevin as a bit of a stirrer, a pedant, what have you. But I think you're being a bit stirry to accuse him of being stirry by asking.
It is a commonly known fact (by definition commonly known to vegetarians and not necessarily commonly known to meat eaters) that many people who have no need to know, are unaware that some cheese is not vegetarian. Same with the gelatine in sweets.
I'm not sure I've ever accused Gev of any of those things (quite the opposite - I'm sure I used to defend him when this board first started and his posts were often shot at)

But anyway, if something has been specified as being a vegetarian option but you still question it, you probably should just make your own food. If Gev didn't trust Ben/Ben's mum to know that her vegetarian dish should have specifically vegetarian cheese, is it not likely that other non-vegetarian ingredients might be used? Why single out the cheese? What fat is being used? That's my point. If you're really that fussy, you probably should make your own food.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Matt Morrison wrote: I am sure you lot sometimes think of Gevin as a bit of a stirrer, a pedant, what have you. But I think you're being a bit stirry to accuse him of being stirry by asking.
What?! No. The first things I think of when I think of Gevin are glasses, jumpers, numbers and well-spoken. These things don't even come into it you big turd.

I was the same as Jon, a veggie option was stated so you either just sort of say "yeah, I'll have that" or you just bring your own. Wasn't actually getting at anyone just thought it was amusingly persisent of Gevin. And I'm glad made the comment because now we've all learnt a whole lot more about cheese.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Mmmm... cheese.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Phil Reynolds wrote:Mmmm... cheese.
Not that cheese Phil!
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Ryan Taylor wrote:
Not that cheese Phil!
:? Mature cheddar is my favourite.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Ryan Taylor wrote:
Not that cheese Phil!
What cheese? Is it vegetarian?
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Ryan Taylor wrote:What?! No. The first things I think of when I think of Gevin are glasses, jumpers, numbers and well-spoken. These things don't even come into it you big turd.
Interestingly I hardly actually ever wear my glasses. I'm more likely to in unfamiliar surroundings. Because I've been to COLIN before, I might not wear them this time. Yeah, and I enjoyed all the cheese stuff.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Ryan Taylor wrote:What?! No. The first things I think of when I think of Gevin are glasses, jumpers, numbers and well-spoken. These things don't even come into it you big turd.
Interestingly I hardly actually ever wear my glasses. I'm more likely to in unfamiliar surroundings.
Does the same go for your well-spoken accent? And do you just sit on apterous with a calculator?
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Ryan Taylor wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote:
Interestingly I hardly actually ever wear my glasses. I'm more likely to in unfamiliar surroundings.
Does the same go for your well-spoken accent? And do you just sit on apterous with a calculator?
Do I have a well-spoken accent?
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Ryan Taylor wrote:Does the same go for your well-spoken accent? And do you just sit on apterous with a calculator?
Do I have a well-spoken accent?
I would say you speak more proper English than I do. That doesn't say much though.
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

I don't have the board game, but I can bring this along. I made the electronics part months ago but I've only this week come back to it to put it in a box and fix it all together. Slightly easier than rolling dice or messing about with unused number cards to generate a target, and, I'm sure you'll agree, at least 1% snazzier.

(6 AA batteries and a PIC microcontroller connected to one of these, for those who care.)
Phil Collinge
Acolyte

Post by Phil Collinge »

Not sure what the event capacity is but we should be able to make a final decision in a week or so.

At what point are you closing entries Ben?
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Phil Collinge wrote:Not sure what the event capacity is but we should be able to make a final decision in a week or so.

At what point are you closing entries Ben?
The night before, as long as I'm givien enough notice. Lunches may get closed beforehand though.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

I can bring a board game too, although I have no snazzy number generator thingamywotsit, like Graeme. :lol:
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

There's still time to get entries to me if you're undecided, but if you're wanting a cooked lunch I need to knowby tomorrow at the latest, and cooked lunches will only be available to people who have booked.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

I can bring two board games.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Ryan Taylor wrote:I can bring two board games.
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE let one of them be Wildlife Adventure. Love that guy.
Stewart Gordon
Enthusiast

Post by Stewart Gordon »

I'm inclined to go for the cheese and broccoli quiche for a change this time. And apple pie with custard.
Jennifer Steadman
Kiloposter

Post by Jennifer Steadman »

Could I have the casserole and apple pie with custard, please? I'll send the money tomorrow.
"There's leaders, and there's followers, but I'd rather be a dick than a swallower" - Aristotle
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

So what time is everyone getting there? Are we getting off at Hykeham station and if so are there taxis from here to the venue (I'm guessing not). Lincoln would be easier but I'm guessing it's much further in a taxi....
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Kirk Bevins wrote:Are we getting off.
Why else would I be going?
Mike Brown
Legend

Post by Mike Brown »

Why isn't Jono in the entrants list? If he's not coming, I may have to reconsider my attendance! :)
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Kirk Bevins wrote:So what time is everyone getting there? Are we getting off at Hykeham station and if so are there taxis from here to the venue (I'm guessing not). Lincoln would be easier but I'm guessing it's much further in a taxi....
LMGTFY. It's 0.7 miles which Google rather generously suggests is a 14 minute walk with all of two directions on it if you don't count 'stop at your destination'. If you don't feel like walking there won't be a taxi rank at the station- to be fair, there's barely a station at the station- but it's easy to prebook one, the best people for the job are usually Discount Cabs who can be reached at 01522 800 800.

And Jono's going to the football, the git.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

A FEW QUICK THINGS-

Many thanks to everyone so far who's offered to bring along ODEs and board games. It is much appreciated and you are all cool for your help.

On that note, I am still in need of a windows-powered laptop (or someone who can explain how to get java working on my linux-powered machine) and someone willing to act as a reserve player on the day to make up numbers to a multiple of 3 (if necessary). Obviously, a reserve player wouldn't be expected to play.

4 days to go. :D
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Mike Brown wrote:Why isn't Jono in the entrants list? If he's not coming, I may have to reconsider my attendance! :)
8-) I'm going to the aforementioned football match during the day, I should be back around 7.
Mike Brown
Legend

Post by Mike Brown »

Jon O'Neill wrote:
Mike Brown wrote:Why isn't Jono in the entrants list? If he's not coming, I may have to reconsider my attendance! :)
8-) I'm going to the aforementioned football match during the day, I should be back around 7.
Shocking... putting football ahead of Countdown... or, even worse, ahead of a CO-event!!
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Mike Brown wrote:
Jon O'Neill wrote:
Shocking... putting football ahead of Countdown... or, even worse, ahead of a CO-event!!
I think it's well established that nobody cares about the tournament any more. It's all about the pub.
Adam Dexter
Enthusiast

Post by Adam Dexter »

Kirk Bevins wrote:So what time is everyone getting there? Are we getting off at Hykeham station and if so are there taxis from here to the venue (I'm guessing not). Lincoln would be easier but I'm guessing it's much further in a taxi....
Errrm according to National Rail I will be arriving at Hykeham at 11:18. This is after a *yawn* 7:35 start from Worcester after an 11pm finish at work *double yawn*. I'm going to excuse my failure on the day by that, just to give you fair warning. I think Hykeham is best, being 0.7 of a mile away. That should take approxiamately 13 minutes, according to the Google Route Planner thingymajigger.

Will anyone else be on the 10:29 from Nottingham? Would be nice to have some company :) Or is anyone on the 08:49 from Birmingham?
ADAM DEXTER: MAXED DATER
We're off to button moon :)
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

You absolute git Jono. Good effort I guess for not cancelling the whole weekend, but then I guess the paid-for Travelodge and unpaid-for-yet (AHEM) train tickets are a consideration in that decision.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Matt Morrison wrote:You absolute git Jono. Good effort I guess for not cancelling the whole weekend, but then I guess the paid-for Travelodge and unpaid-for-yet (AHEM) train tickets are a consideration in that decision.
The tickets and 'lodge weren't as much of a consideration as your face.

You'll get your money. I'm out of a four-figure overdraft hole now so I will accelerate this process if you can't wait until Friday. I didn't wanna have to air our dirty linen in public but quite frankly, it's fucking filthy.