Countdown in Lincoln 2012- Saturday 28th January

Discussion and announcements relating to unofficial Countdown competitions, held online or in real life. Observation, discussion, reflection, and other stuff ending in -ion.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Re: Countdown in Lincoln 2012- Saturday 28th January

Post by Matt Morrison »

Nah it's cool, Friday is good obviously. I have just been meaning to remind you for a week and kept forgetting as I have an attitude to personal finances as slack as your own. Wanted to congratulate you on Anfield yet still attending so popped the money diss on the end. I quite like your face too.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Gay.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Heterophobe.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

lol
Jennifer Steadman
Kiloposter

Post by Jennifer Steadman »

And so the 400-mile journey from Cornwall begins... I guess this is the start of CoLin! :)
"There's leaders, and there's followers, but I'd rather be a dick than a swallower" - Aristotle
Mark Tournoff
Series 52 Champion

Post by Mark Tournoff »

hi Ben,

Just wanted to let you know that unfortunately I am going to have to break my run of attendance at COLIN this year, due to weekend working. Hope everyone has a great time. I'm sure they will.

Best wishes.

Mark
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Ben Wilson wrote:This year, there are two spot prizes of this nature- one for the highest single score in the first half of the game (rounds 1-4 inclusive) and one for the highest single score from round 5-9 inclusive.
I don't get it. The highest single score in the first half of the game is going to be 10 or 18 points depending on whether someone gets a nine, surely? This also applies to rounds 5-9. Do you mean highest score for rounds 1-4, rather than single score?
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Kirk Bevins wrote:
Ben Wilson wrote:This year, there are two spot prizes of this nature- one for the highest single score in the first half of the game (rounds 1-4 inclusive) and one for the highest single score from round 5-9 inclusive.
I don't get it. The highest single score in the first half of the game is going to be 10 or 18 points depending on whether someone gets a nine, surely? This also applies to rounds 5-9. Do you mean highest score for rounds 1-4, rather than single score?
Surely Ben means combined points totals for those rounds, so a max of 64 in the first 4, if you got 3 nines and the numbers, and a max of 74 in the second 5, if you got 3 nines and the numbers and the conundrum.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

James Robinson wrote: Surely Ben means combined points totals for those rounds, so a max of 64 in the first 4, if you got 3 nines and the numbers, and a max of 74 in the second 5, if you got 3 nines and the numbers and the conundrum.
Yes, hence I added that last sentence to my post.
Lesley Hines
Kiloposter

Post by Lesley Hines »

Have a great time all :) Make sure you post good run-downs when you get back.

*Honestly, not really gutted at all, guv'nor*
Lowering the averages since 2009
Mike Brown
Legend

Post by Mike Brown »

Have I got the wrong thread for COLIN feedback - or is everyone else still making their way home??

Brilliant event, as always, so thanks again to Ben for making it happen - and to his mum for the food! Great to see everyone again and play some games of Countdown. As I drove home last night, my parting thought was "what a great bunch of people" (honest!). And as this looks like being the year of the co-event, i'll hopefully see all of you again soon!
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Mike Brown wrote:Have I got the wrong thread for COLIN feedback - or is everyone else still making their way home??
Based on FB this afternoon, quite a few people are still enjoying the sights and sounds that Lincoln has to offer. :)

But it was a brilliant COLIN yet again and I'm more than happy with another top 10 finish, especially considering that the 6 players I played against (Dylan, Amie, Ryan, Dan, Dinos & Corby) are all super skilled players, so I clearly had the bad luck of the draw.

But, it was good to see plenty of familiar faces and loads of new ones too. ;) :) :D

I hope plenty of you will come to COHUD too, and also vote and comment in my new thread too. :idea: http://www.c4countdown.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=8799
Andy Platt
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Platt »

Yep, really enjoyed it, only minor complaint was accessibility with trains and stuff (but that only applies to like ten percent of us), but really nicely run event, thanks Ben. Very enjoyable for both the game playing and the social side of things, more of the same next event please gentlemen!
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Obligatory to thanks to everyone involved in making it happen as always (you know who you are). I could never organise such a thing so I love that there are people to do this.

Still hungover in bed right now which points to the sign of a good night. Excellent event as ever Ben. Keep 'em coming.
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

Thanks, Ben and Ben's mum. It was an enjoyable and well-run event, and I look forward to it again next year.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Cracking stuff Ben. Great event as ever, very solid.

Massive thanks to Graeme, Mark, and Matt (in alphabetical order as I'm not picking favourites) for doing lifts.
Such little (but frequent) offers of generosity and responsibility really make such a huge difference to the whole weekend. Legendary.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Matt Morrison wrote:Cracking stuff Ben. Great event as ever, very solid.

Massive thanks to Graeme, Mark, and Matt (in alphabetical order as I'm not picking favourites) for doing lifts.
Such little (but frequent) offers of generosity and responsibility really make such a huge difference to the whole weekend. Legendary.
Echo the lift comments. Cheers guys!
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Jon O'Neill wrote:

Yeah. And Phil gave me a lift too. Thanks all. And great tournament Ben and Ben's Mum.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Jon O'Neill wrote:

Yeah. And Phil gave me a lift too. Thanks all. And great tournament Ben and Ben's Mum.
And Jim giving me a lift to the train station in the morning. Lifesaver.
Adam Dexter
Enthusiast

Post by Adam Dexter »

I finally made it through my front door at 11pm this evening. That makes a massive 8 hour journey because of National Rail not acknowledging Sundays as a day when people would still like to move about reasonably quickly. Lovely event though, and I'm really looking forward to the next one :)
ADAM DEXTER: MAXED DATER
We're off to button moon :)
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

FUck I forgot Jim. I'm such a dick.
Phil Collinge
Acolyte

Post by Phil Collinge »

Graeme Cole wrote:Thanks, Ben and Ben's mum. It was an enjoyable and well-run event, and I look forward to it again next year.
Yep, Ben and Ben's Mum deserve all the praise they get, many thanks to both of you for another wonderful event.

Was great to meet everyone again, and I'm certain we'll be back next year.

Special thanks also to Matt and Mark, not only for the lifts, but the fact they were quite happy to disrupt their own evening in order to shuttle everyone back at whatever time they happened to be ready.

Oh, and the landlord of the Fox & Hounds has very kindly agreed to make the last Saturday in January a karaoke night, although we might need to remind him of this a little nearer the time.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Predictably adding thanks to Ben and his mum for organising another great tournament. Felt pretty bad for Dinos (as he would have won the tournament in unbeaten style any other year) but the introduction of a final this year meant he had an opportunity to choke at the death, which he duly grabbed with outlaid arms. Harsh.

Also predictably adding thanks to those great people (I'm including you in that Jim, even though MWM forgot you) who did all the ferrying around in their cars (which was appreciated as it was freaking freezing), often to the detriment of their suspension as maximum occupancy was blithely ignored.

Many thanks also for all the congratulations here in the public forum, in the form of PMs, posts on Facebook, text messages etc. OH WAIT, THERE'S ABSOLUTELY NONE OF THESE, YOU BASTARDS.

Also thanks to Jen Steadman for pointing out what a complete arsehole I am on these pages.

Final thanks again to Jim Bentley - I couldn't have done it without your pen.
Phil Collinge wrote:Oh, and the landlord of the Fox & Hounds has very kindly agreed to make the last Saturday in January a karaoke night, although we might need to remind him of this a little nearer the time.
Given that their events board was pretty packed with stuff for about the first quarter of the year, I wouldn't leave it that late.

For those that were wondering by the way, last year's celebrity guest Shane is now barred from the Fox & Hounds.
Thomas Carey
Kiloposter

Post by Thomas Carey »

Awesome event. Thanks Ben and everyone who helped in some way. Did a lot worse than I expected to but oh well, it was fun. Well done Dinos and Jon.
cheers maus
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Jon Corby wrote:For those that were wondering by the way, last year's celebrity guest Shane is now barred from the Fox & Hounds.
Haha, seriously? Was there an anecdote to accompany this or is it best left for our imaginations?
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Ryan Taylor wrote:
Jon Corby wrote:For those that were wondering by the way, last year's celebrity guest Shane is now barred from the Fox & Hounds.
Haha, seriously? Was there an anecdote to accompany this or is it best left for our imaginations?
There were LOTS of anecdotes. Turns out the landlord loves talking about Shane.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Matt Morrison wrote:
Ryan Taylor wrote:
There were LOTS of anecdotes. Turns out the landlord loves talking about Shane.
This would be an ideal place to share them.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

I'm stringing out Ryan's pain.
Jennifer Steadman
Kiloposter

Post by Jennifer Steadman »

Everyone else has said it already but thanks to Ben for organising everything, great event - definitely worth the 12 trains and 15,000 hours on public transport (approx) to get there. Also thanks to everyone for just being generally lovely - that probably sounds really obsequious, but I mean it. It would've been really easy for people to be cliquey or smug about their superior anagramming skills, but everyone I spoke to was really friendly which made enjoying it so much easier/worth it!

Can't wait for the next one - all being well, I'll probably be doing the trek up again :)
Jon Corby wrote:Also thanks to Jen Steadman for pointing out what a complete arsehole I am on these pages.
My pleasure :mrgreen:
"There's leaders, and there's followers, but I'd rather be a dick than a swallower" - Aristotle
Lesley Hines
Kiloposter

Post by Lesley Hines »

Jon Corby wrote:Many thanks also for all the congratulations here in the public forum, in the form of PMs, posts on Facebook, text messages etc. OH WAIT, THERE'S ABSOLUTELY NONE OF THESE, YOU BASTARDS.
We're waiting for MWM's hyperpost. Also want to know if his 'Catch Robinson Up Mission' has gone public yet.

But well done :) I did also like your swimsuit round idea, until I thought about it properly. I know you'd all like to see me in my skimpies, but honestly, please keep your clothes on ;)
Lowering the averages since 2009
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

Please take your clothes off, champ.
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
He may not be liked on here, but you have to give some credit to Mark