Countdown in Lincoln 2009

Discussion and announcements relating to unofficial Countdown competitions, held online or in real life. Observation, discussion, reflection, and other stuff ending in -ion.
Kirk Bevins
God

Re: Countdown in Lincoln 2009

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Dinos Sfyris wrote:What does IAWTP mean? Haven't encountered that one before.
A quick google search displayed "I agree with this post". There we are.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Kirk Bevins wrote:
IAWTP
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

Jon Corby wrote:
Kirk Bevins wrote:
IAWTP
ISWYDT
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Michael Wallace wrote:ISWYDT
IANAL. Not relevant but you know, just saying.
Julie T
Kiloposter

Post by Julie T »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Michael Wallace wrote:ISWYDT
IANAL. Not relevant but you know, just saying.
:lol:

BTW, Charlie, ever thought of having a glossary of abbreviations on the forum?
IMHO it'd be a great idea, or have you BTDTGTT on that one?

BWS, Julie :mrgreen:
"My idea of an agreeable person is a person who agrees with me." Benjamin Disraeli
Gary Male
Enthusiast

Post by Gary Male »

Paul Howe wrote:
Jon O'Neill wrote:Want to meet his dad though.
Met him. Knob. Not worth it. Want to meet his mum though.
She's got a nice voice, just the thing to rouse you in the morning. True story.
Julian Fell
Series 48 Champion

Post by Julian Fell »

So are you not coming to COLin then Corby? Forgive me, I can never work out whether you're joking or not (as you know). You're on Ben's 'provisional entrants' list on his site anyway
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Jon Corby wrote:
Julian Fell wrote:Corby's put his name down! Yay! Would be good to meet you Jon, if you can make it
I have? :?
You said 'yeah, sounds good' or words to that effect in apterous chat and I took that as a provisional entry. If you do decide to come along I'd hold onto the place if I were you because I'm down to just one guaranteed place in the tournament. First person to ask for it gets it (erm, in a non-lethal sense, that is). Anybody expressing an interest thereafter goes on the waiting list.

Website has been updated, btw. :)
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Ben Wilson wrote:
Jon Corby wrote:
Julian Fell wrote:Corby's put his name down! Yay! Would be good to meet you Jon, if you can make it
I have? :?
You said 'yeah, sounds good' or words to that effect in apterous chat and I took that as a provisional entry. If you do decide to come along I'd hold onto the place if I were you because I'm down to just one guaranteed place in the tournament. First person to ask for it gets it (erm, in a non-lethal sense, that is). Anybody expressing an interest thereafter goes on the waiting list.

Oh okay. Yeah I do kinda remember that. In that case, stick my dad down for the last remaining place, and we'll both be there :)
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Jon Corby wrote:Oh okay. Yeah I do kinda remember that. In that case, stick my dad down for the last remaining place, and we'll both be there :)
Woo!
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Jon Corby wrote:
Ben Wilson wrote:
Jon Corby wrote:I have? :?

Oh okay. Yeah I do kinda remember that. In that case, stick my dad down for the last remaining place, and we'll both be there :)
Yay! :D
Jeremy Miles

Post by Jeremy Miles »

Can anyone recommend a decent B and B within late night staggering distance of the venue in Lincoln? ;)
Jeff Clayton
Enthusiast

Post by Jeff Clayton »

There's a Premier Inn and adjoining watering hole a short distance down the road? On the A46 heading towards Newark?

Can Neb clarify?
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Jeff Clayton wrote:There's a Premier Inn and adjoining watering hole a short distance down the road? On the A46 heading towards Newark?

Can Neb clarify?
Yep, sounds familiar, just off the roundabout on the A46 bypass if memory serves me correctly. Not a bad place. :)
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

Can I just ask (like a complete idiot) how do you enter these tournaments? I would quite like to do one, maybe Lincoln.
16/10/2007 - Episode 4460
Dinos Sfyris 76 - 78 Dorian Lidell
Proof that even idiots can get well and truly mainwheeled.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Kai Laddiman wrote:Can I just ask (like a complete idiot) how do you enter these tournaments? I would quite like to do one, maybe Lincoln.
Simply quote this post and say 'put my name down for COLIN 2009 please'. :)
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

And here's the new COLIN perpetual trophy, which the winner of COLIN 2009 will get to keep for a year-

http://colin.nebagram.co.uk/DSC01076.JPG

and a close up of the plate-

http://colin.nebagram.co.uk/DSC01077.JPG

What you can't make out as clearly are the inscriptions on the top 2 shields, the top one for Chris's 3 wins and the second one for Conor's win in 2008.

Well, I like it, anyway. :)
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

3 weeks to go folks, and there are still a couple of places left. I'm going to start hitting up those currently listed as 'provisional' for more concrete answers in the coming few days. In the meantime, a few more details I can reveal, largely concerning prizes and the likes of-

The 7-round goatdown warm-up at the start of the day will be entitled Goatspank for no better reason than I like the name and I reckon Charlie'd get a kick out of it. Everybody is invited to play if they so wish, and there will be a prize- which I will exclusively reveal as soon as I've bought it. In a departure from the norm, scoring will be winners-only but feel free to keep a track of your (flat) score too.

The exhibition game will be between the two highest-placed Goatspankers who want to play. 7-round format, LLNLLNC, with the rule for each particularl round randomly drawn prior to each round starting. Prize for this will be kudos, and for lack of anything more tangible, the ability to decide when they want to host/play their games each round in the main event.

In the main event there will be cash prizes for 1st-4th or 5th (depending on how many entries I get in the end) and one or two ratings prizes. these will work like so-

1 ratings prize- awarded to the highest-placed player in the bottom half of the ratings*
2 ratings prizes- one awarded to the highest-placed player in the middle third of the ratings and highest-placed in the bottom third.

*Ratings being these. This was the way I did at at CoNot, and everybody but one person thought it was a good idea. The person who didn't think it was a good idea promptly won the ratings prize, thusly changing his mind. :)

Other spot prizes will be-

Earliest niner- chronologically speaking. basically the first person to shout 'I've got a niner' (and to have actually got one, naturally) will claim this prize.

Tuff Luck- as per last year, the player with the three narrowest losses throughout the day.

Theme word- this year is 'football', which is about a broad a subject as you can get and with potential for some great spots, especially as Joseph Bolas isn't coming.

That's all for today- if you want in, just drop me a pm, an email, or any of the other ways listed on http://colin.nebagram.co.uk

See you soon! :)
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Ben Wilson wrote:
The 7-round goatdown warm-up at the start of the day will be entitled Goatspank for no better reason than I like the name and I reckon Charlie'd get a kick out of it. Everybody is invited to play if they so wish, and there will be a prize- which I will exclusively reveal as soon as I've bought it. In a departure from the norm, scoring will be winners-only but feel free to keep a track of your (flat) score too.
Great, I won the goatdown thing at Conot I think being the only one who spotted the goatnundrum ANGIOMATA before the final letter was revealed and I won nothing. To make it worse, Julian was there too so the victory felt even sweeter.
Ben Wilson wrote: Earliest niner- chronologically speaking. basically the first person to shout 'I've got a niner' (and to have actually got one, naturally) will claim this prize.
So wait till the end of the round until you've declared it then shout I've got a nine (or go and speak quietly as not to disturb others). What if both of the players have a nine?

I'm so excited and I can't wait to participate and see all the Countdown legends again. Oh, and I want Tournoff - I'm ready to beat him.
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Kirk Bevins wrote:I'm so excited and I can't wait to participate and see all the Countdown legends again.
Ben Wilson wrote:Theme word - this year is 'Football', which is about a broad a subject as you can get and with potential for some great spots, especially as Joseph Bolas isn't coming.
Thank you for assuring me that I won't be missing out on anything :)

So does that mean Ben, then that COLIN's 2010 theme will be 'Darts' ;)
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

A few more things-

*As always, I'll need as many people as possible to bring along any equipment they might have (board games and ODEs)- if you could confirm in this thread what you're willing to bring I'd be grateful. I myself will be hauling along 8 board games and for the first time ever my ODE2r.

*Still some spaces available if you're interested.

*There won't be any anagrammed nametags this year, to save me the hassle of having to apologise to everyone for forgetting to make them.

*Lunch will be available for a small cost as per 2007 and 2008, if you could let me know whether or not you'll be wanting it I'd be grateful as I need to get numbers to the caterer by the Wednesday before the event. Or, of course, I could give you directions to the nearby Kwik Save/whatever it is now (seriously, it seems to change owners every six months and last I heard it was in negotiations to become a Tesco Express).

*I should have some inkling of prize money allocations by this time next week but first prize will probably be £30 again, and 4th/5th/ratings will be £10.

*Feel free to take photos because I intend to be a lot less trigger happy this year. If people could make a concerted effort to remind me to do a group photo at the end it'd be handy as I completely forgot the last two years due to my brain being frazzled beyond belief (anyone who remembers the chaos that was the 24 hours leading up to the 2007 event will understand).

*Similar to the lunch request, if you could let me know if you'll be going for the meal/piss-up at the 'designated COLIN pub' afterwards the chef there would be grateful. :D

That's all for now folks, no doubt I'll come up with more eventually.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

I'll bring along my ODE2r; I'd like lunch please and I'll be staying afterwards for the post-COLIN piss-up and discussion of 9s that have another anagram.
Richard Priest
Devotee

Post by Richard Priest »

I'll bring my ODE2, also got a pile of conundrums that I devised in preparation for CoC if they could be of any use. I'll have lunch, as to going to the pub I'll need to check with Howard as we will probably be car-sharing.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

I'd like lunch please and I'll be staying afterwards for the post-COLIN piss-up and discussion of 9s that have another anagram.
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Kirk Bevins wrote:I'd like lunch please and I'll be staying afterwards for the post-COLIN piss-up and discussion of 9s that have another anagram.
I'll have what she's having :)
Jimmy Gough
Devotee

Post by Jimmy Gough »

Damn it sounds so good :) I really wanna go but it is such a mission to get there. Like nearly 5 hours.
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

I'll bring my ODE2r and game. Does anybody know whether they allow mega-famous 12-year-olds into the bar?
16/10/2007 - Episode 4460
Dinos Sfyris 76 - 78 Dorian Lidell
Proof that even idiots can get well and truly mainwheeled.
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Post by Howard Somerset »

I'll be bringing along ODE2r, but no game. I'd like to book lunch please, and subject to Richard's agreemen, would like to come along to the bar before driving home and enjoy watching everyone else getting pissed. :)
Naomi Laddiman
Rookie

Post by Naomi Laddiman »

Kai Laddiman wrote:I'll bring my ODE2r and game. Does anybody know whether they allow mega-famous 12-year-olds into the bar?
Why, are there any going?

If the pub accommodates kids, we'll be there for the meal and piss up, if not, I'll be there and Kai'll be sitting in the hotel room on his own!:)
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Yes please for lunch & dinner for me & my father :)
Joe Denniss
Rookie

Post by Joe Denniss »

I will no longer be attending CoLin 2009 - I decided that the distance was just too much, especially since I'd be relying on a parental chauffeur. Sorry for not notifying you earlier, Ben. I'll copy this into an e-mail in case you don't see this.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Thus freeing up a gap for Kai's mum to play... :D
Naomi Laddiman
Rookie

Post by Naomi Laddiman »

Jon Corby wrote:Thus freeing up a gap for Kai's mum to play... :D
I'm coming to play - in the pub afterwards! :)
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Naomi Laddiman wrote:
Not in the exclusive "Players' Lounge" though.
Naomi Laddiman
Rookie

Post by Naomi Laddiman »

Jon Corby wrote:
Naomi Laddiman wrote:
Not in the exclusive "Players' Lounge" though.
I'll take the place of a player for the evening - Kai will be in bed! :)
Dan Vanniasingham
Enthusiast

Post by Dan Vanniasingham »

No lunch for me thanks, I'll be unsociable and trek to the cafe once again.

I'll be staying for the meal (same pub as usual?), as will anyone else getting a lift off me. If Nick and Conor read this & require transport from Oakwood tube and back - get in touch.
Jeff Clayton
Enthusiast

Post by Jeff Clayton »

Lunch yes please, dinner in the pub yes please, re-run of the post-CoLei discussion on anagrams of 9s ah go on then.

Ta!
Jeff
David Roe
Enthusiast

Post by David Roe »

Lunch yes please. Dinner afterwards - can I leave it open? See you then.
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Richard and I have agreed - joining in afterwards before driving home.
Junaid Mubeen
Series 59 Champion

Post by Junaid Mubeen »

Lunch - no thanks, will bring tuna/cucumber sandwiches if anyone wants some. Requests dealt with on a shotgun basis.

Dinner - no thanks, though I will probably come for the jokes

I'll bring a copy of the game and the dictionary.

Is there anything for non-players to do? I assume they can watch the games and shout abuse at my opponents if necessary.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Junaid Mubeen wrote:Is there anything for non-players to do? I assume they can watch the games and shout abuse at my opponents if necessary.
Sure, there'll be plenty of onlookers on the day so it's not like they'll be sitting back bored. Hopefully. :)
Kathleen Batlle
Acolyte

Post by Kathleen Batlle »

I think you're all going to have a great time. Imagine, Countdown all day long, wow...... Wish I could be there but, sadly, that will be impossible. I'll be thinking about you all though and look forward to seeing some good photos. Good luck everyone.
Jimmy Gough
Devotee

Post by Jimmy Gough »

kathleen batlle wrote:I think you're all going to have a great time. Imagine, Countdown all day long, wow...... Wish I could be there but, sadly, that will be impossible. I'll be thinking about you all though and look forward to seeing some good photos. Good luck everyone.
ditto.
Nick Wainwright
Series 56 Champion

Post by Nick Wainwright »

Put me down as a yes for lunch and dinner please Ben.
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

A conundrum question, Ben.

Are you wanting us to bring conundrums for the three games we'll each be hosting, like we did at COLIN 2007?

Or are you providing conundrums for each game, as happened at COLIN 2008?
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Howard Somerset wrote:Or are you providing conundrums for each game, as happened at COLIN 2008?
I believe the latter, since he's asked me to write them (except those for my own games, unfortunately.)
Paul Howe
Kiloposter

Post by Paul Howe »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Howard Somerset wrote:Or are you providing conundrums for each game, as happened at COLIN 2008?
I believe the latter, since he's asked me to write them (except those for my own games, unfortunately.)
Really? I know that's more consistent if the overall winner is decided on points, but you also sacrifice some charm and intensity and maybe sit around a bit before the conundrum as people play at different rates (although it obviously worked OK at COLIN 2008). Might sound a bit sad but I rather enjoy making up conundrums on the night before.

Anyway, put me down for lunch, not sure if I can stay afterwards yet, and I'll bring a board game but not an ODE.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Indeed, the conundrums shall be provided, there'll be at least one for every single game played so there won't be any delays whilst people wait for them (I'm using a slightly more efficient 'distribution method' this year as well).
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

Ben Wilson wrote:(I'm using a slightly more efficient 'distribution method' this year as well).
Are you going to have buxom, scantily clad ladies walking around holding up conundrums a la the round numbers in boxing matches?

And if not, why not?
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Michael Wallace wrote:
Ben Wilson wrote:(I'm using a slightly more efficient 'distribution method' this year as well).
Are you going to have buxom, scantily clad ladies walking around holding up conundrums a la the round numbers in boxing matches?

And if not, why not?
Emma cant make it this year
Paul Howe
Kiloposter

Post by Paul Howe »

My COLIN 2009 to do list is looking increasingly threadbare:

1. Baffle everyone with fiendishly difficult conundrums
2. Avenge Kirk inflicted defeat from CONOT
3. Steal Emma off Dinos
4. Play Countdown theme on piano (I'm working on this, but it's fecking hard to get right)
5. Actually get there on time for the exhibition games

I think I'm down to 2 and 5 :( Seriously though it looks like it's going to be the awesomest COLIN ever, can't wait till next Saturday.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Paul Howe wrote:My COLIN 2009 to do list is looking increasingly threadbare:

3. Steal Emma off Dinos
4. Play Countdown theme on piano (I'm working on this, but it's fecking hard to get right)

I think I'm down to 2 and 5 :( Seriously though it looks like it's going to be the awesomest COLIN ever, can't wait till next Saturday.
You mean 'this Saturday'? ;)
Paul Howe
Kiloposter

Post by Paul Howe »

Ben Wilson wrote:
Paul Howe wrote:My COLIN 2009 to do list is looking increasingly threadbare:

3. Steal Emma off Dinos

You mean 'this Saturday'? ;)
Ermm, yeah :?

6. Turn up on correct day
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Paul Howe wrote: 2. Avenge Kirk inflicted defeat from CONOT
If we did meet, which is quite likely, I feel a good game coming as we've both been practising hard. May the best man at solving the (most-likely) crucial conundrum win.
Paul Howe
Kiloposter

Post by Paul Howe »

Sadly I think whoever has the best chance of winning the whole thing will end up bottling it.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Paul Howe wrote:Sadly I think whoever has the best chance of winning the whole thing will end up bottling it.
Yeah, can't believe how many crucial conundrums I've been away from winning CO-events, like 3 now! Was ahead of Tournoff in my last match all the way then 9 points ahead come the conundrum. Whoever got it won. He buzzed instantly and won by 1 point. The git. I want damn revenge. Had I played him the game before I'd have trashed him.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

You two are both fucking bottlers.

COLIN JONO9.
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Paul Howe wrote:3. Steal Emma off Dinos.
I'm sure we can still arrange something :lol:
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Couple more things (this should be it, honest)-

-Is anybody able to bring along a windows-fueled laptop I can run Charlie's sexy pairings/triplettings program from?

Also

-For those getting here ridiculously early (like, 10am ish), will anyone be able to give me and my copious amounts of equipment a lift to the venue? I don't live terribly far away, but far enough.

Many thanks in advance.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Ben Wilson wrote:-Is anybody able to bring along a windows-fueled laptop I can run Charlie's sexy pairings/triplettings program from?
It doesn't need to be Windows.