COGST - starting mid-September

Discussion and announcements relating to unofficial Countdown competitions, held online or in real life. Observation, discussion, reflection, and other stuff ending in -ion.
Kirk Bevins
God

Re: COGST - starting mid-September

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Martin Gardner wrote:He may end up forfeiting, which is an enormous shame but then we can't wait forever either. Jason can't play until Tuesday so I'll give you until the end of Tuesday as well.
Calling David - I can make before 5:30pm on Saturday afternoon.
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Post by David O'Donnell »

Sorry, have been looking after my little sister since my mum has been in the States. I can play an afternoon on Monday or Tuesday if that suits?
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

David O'Donnell wrote:Sorry, have been looking after my little sister since my mum has been in the States. I can play an afternoon on Monday or Tuesday if that suits?
What about today like nowish? I need to be done before 6pm. Otherwise Tuesday evening it will have to be (I am in school all day Mon and Tues and then meetings after school and then darts on Monday evening, so Tues evening or now.)
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Kirk Bevins wrote:
David O'Donnell wrote:Sorry, have been looking after my little sister since my mum has been in the States. I can play an afternoon on Monday or Tuesday if that suits?
What about today like nowish? I need to be done before 6pm. Otherwise Tuesday evening it will have to be (I am in school all day Mon and Tues and then meetings after school and then darts on Monday evening, so Tues evening or now.)
The library closes in about 20 minutes but I can go to an Internet cafe and be there in about 15-20 mins - does that suit? It also blocks apterous for some bloody reason!
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

David O'Donnell wrote:
Kirk Bevins wrote:
The library closes in about 20 minutes but I can go to an Internet cafe and be there in about 15-20 mins - does that suit? It also blocks apterous for some bloody reason!
That will do yes. Would need to be a quick game though.
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Sorry Kirkie,

Have a bit of an emergency at the moment and have to head straight home. Not sure if this place opens on a Sunday but I will check and message you if it does.
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Me and Howard are still looking for a definite host for tomorrow at 1pm. So far we have a maybe from Julie.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

Always worth poking me, but I imagine I'll be asleep, sorry.
Julian Fell
Series 48 Champion

Post by Julian Fell »

Martin Gardner wrote:He may end up forfeiting, which is an enormous shame but then we can't wait forever either. Jason can't play until Tuesday so I'll give you until the end of Tuesday as well.
It'd be a real shame to forfeit a quarter-finalist who actually wants to play - if someone isn't responding to emails / posts then fair enough, forfeit them, but if people are making a real (and public) effort to organize a game, as David O and Kirk are obviously doing, then they should be given extensions (within reason). I'm sure the other semi-finalists won't mind waiting a few more days if need be. You can always carry on with the Plate in the meantime, if people there are impatient to play (though you still have to play your game with Jerry H before that... :) )

That said though, David, haven't you been waiting about 6 months now for your home computer to be fixed?... :?
Richard Priest
Devotee

Post by Richard Priest »

Dinos Sfyris wrote:Me and Howard are still looking for a definite host for tomorrow at 1pm. So far we have a maybe from Julie.
I'll do it as a last resort but I'm very inexperienced.
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Rich Priest wrote:
Dinos Sfyris wrote:Me and Howard are still looking for a definite host for tomorrow at 1pm. So far we have a maybe from Julie.
I should be online as well.
If you cut a gandiseeg in half, do you get two gandiseegs or two halves of a gandiseeg?
Julie T
Kiloposter

Post by Julie T »

Rich Priest wrote:
Thanks for hosting, Richard. I had a bit of a "broken boiler, so boiling water for the kids Sunday hairwash bath" crisis here. :(
Hopefully I can get someone out to fix it tomorrow - no heating either - brrrrrr!
"My idea of an agreeable person is a person who agrees with me." Benjamin Disraeli
Richard Priest
Devotee

Post by Richard Priest »

No problem, I enjoyed it once I'd overcome my initial self-doubt (it was my first hosting game) and a few problems with Dinos's connection. Hope to host another one sometime soon.

Good luck with the boiler! ;)
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Sorry for sounding rushy, but when is our next plate games :D. I am so eager to play :D.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Joseph Bolas wrote:Sorry for sounding rushy, but when is our next plate games :D. I am so eager to play :D.
Martin may correct me, but isn't the Plate just a straight knockout?
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Julian Fell wrote:

That said though, David, haven't you been waiting about 6 months now for your home computer to be fixed?... :?
I think it is more like 3/4 months but point taken :) The computer is actually fuct and I have to replace it which is um, erm, temporarily, erm, financially problematic ;)
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

David O'Donnell wrote:The computer is actually fuct and I have to replace it which is um, erm, temporarily, erm, financially problematic ;)
Ha, that'll teach you for being so good at Countdown - if you were slightly less good you could have bought a new computer with your £1k runner-up cheque.
Julie T
Kiloposter

Post by Julie T »

Rich Priest wrote:No problem, I enjoyed it once I'd overcome my initial self-doubt (it was my first hosting game) and a few problems with Dinos's connection. Hope to host another one sometime soon.

Good luck with the boiler! ;)
Yes, thanks, Rich! We now have running hot water and warm radiators. Civilisation returns! :D :D
"My idea of an agreeable person is a person who agrees with me." Benjamin Disraeli
Richard Priest
Devotee

Post by Richard Priest »

Jon Corby wrote:
David O'Donnell wrote:The computer is actually fuct and I have to replace it which is um, erm, temporarily, erm, financially problematic ;)
Ha, that'll teach you for being so good at Countdown - if you were slightly less good you could have bought a new computer with your £1k runner-up cheque.
Yes David, you could have saved yourself all these problems if you'd let me win :)
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

The next round of the Plate can begin - Jerry's not replied to my emails but there are more important things in life than Countdown after all. So here's the draw as seen on the wiki:

Martin Gardner vs. Richard Priest
Steven Briers lost to Dinos 92 - 96
Charlie Reams vs. Ian Volante
Julie Taylor lost to Michael Wallace 79 - 118
If you cut a gandiseeg in half, do you get two gandiseegs or two halves of a gandiseeg?
Richard Priest
Devotee

Post by Richard Priest »

Is anyone free to host mine and Martin's game tomorrow night, 7pm onwards?
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Michael Wallace wrote:
Joseph Bolas wrote:Sorry for sounding rushy, but when is our next plate games :D. I am so eager to play :D.
Martin may correct me, but isn't the Plate just a straight knockout?
It looks it :(, thats quite disappointing that.
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Rich Priest wrote:Is anyone free to host mine and Martin's game tomorrow night, 7pm onwards?
Thanks again for hosting me vs Howard, Rich. I would definitely offer to reciprocate, but I dont think Emma would appreciate me coming over then disappearing into the world of msn! :?

Glad your boiler's sorted out, Julie :)
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Will be online about sixish if you can make it, Kirkie?
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

David O'Donnell wrote:Will be online about sixish if you can make it, Kirkie?
OK, I'm here. Let's start.
JasonCullen
Devotee

Post by JasonCullen »

Due to the incompetence of my internet service provider, i cannot get online until oct 16 now. I realise that i have had enough time to play my match and i apologise for not being able to start my match against ben. But my computer has been playin up for ages so the problem is not a big shock. Reluctantly, i will have to pull out of the tourny and it is up to martin what he does regarding the situation. I'm using a mobile device to send this - thats how desperate it has got for me!
Yours regretably jason
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

jasoncullen wrote:Due to the incompetence of my internet service provider, i cannot get online until oct 16 now. I realise that i have had enough time to play my match and i apologise for not being able to start my match against ben. But my computer has been playin up for ages so the problem is not a big shock. Reluctantly, i will have to pull out of the tourny and it is up to martin what he does regarding the situation. I'm using a mobile device to send this - thats how desperate it has got for me!
Yours regretably jason
That really is a shame but as pointed out that date is in 9 day's time by which time the tournament will hopefully be finished overall. So also with regret, I'll have to accept your resignation.
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

As the wiki will confirm, the semi-finals look like this:

Paul Howe vs. Ben Wilson
Julian Fell vs. David O'Donnell.

Enjoy your games...
Julian Fell
Series 48 Champion

Post by Julian Fell »

Ah what a shame Jason, you kicked ass (including mine) at CONot... you'll be a force to be reckoned with when you get back online. Still, it means Paul now has a chance to get revenge for that COOT '08 defeat!

When dyou want the semi-finals played by, Martin?
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Rich Priest wrote:Is anyone free to host mine and Martin's game tomorrow night, 7pm onwards?
Did this game happen last night? If it did, I would like to know who won, as I'm facing them in the Plate semis :)
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

It's happening this evening at six, Dinos. I am hosting it so if you are about I will make sure I invite you.
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

David O'Donnell wrote:It's happening this evening at six, Dinos. I am hosting it so if you are about I will make sure I invite you.
Sorry about not turning up, I ended up in A&E with my girlfriend who'd managed to seriously injure herself. A bit more urgent than online Countdown that! Anyway as a result I am free all tomorrow.
Paul Howe
Kiloposter

Post by Paul Howe »

Martin Gardner wrote:As the wiki will confirm, the semi-finals look like this:

Paul Howe vs. Ben Wilson
Julian Fell vs. David O'Donnell.

Enjoy your games...
When are these supposed to be done by? I'm not going to be around much at all before next Monday but could probably squeeze it in somewhere if I absolutely had to.
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

I'd say a week is fair with reasonable exceptions, so starting from yesterday, that would be 14/10, as long as you can manage it.
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Right, as Apterous is down at the moment and unlikely to be back online this evening, me and Richard need a host on MSN circa 7pm. Any takers please?
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Martin Gardner wrote:Right, as Apterous is down at the moment and unlikely to be back online this evening, me and Richard need a host on MSN circa 7pm. Any takers please?
Doesn't that mean that countgen isn't available either?
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

I'm working to resolve the problem right now. CountGen should be back up by 6 and normal apterous service should resume some time this evening.
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

In that case I can probably host your game, Martin, were you willing to start it around half 6 or a bit earlier.
Julian Fell
Series 48 Champion

Post by Julian Fell »

David did you get my email re the game? I sent it to your address which you had when we corresponded back in January, you might have got a new email address since then so just checking...
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Julian Fell wrote:David did you get my email re the game? I sent it to your address which you had when we corresponded back in January, you might have got a new email address since then so just checking...
I got it and replied but there must have been a problem or something. I am really restricted for time though you wouldn't think it by the way I am constantly on this site blethering away. I will be away next week from Tuesday so ideally I'd like to play on Monday around 6-ish if that suits, Julian.
Julian Fell
Series 48 Champion

Post by Julian Fell »

Ok, well at the moment I can do that time... so, please can someone volunteer to host me vs. David in the COGST semi-finals, 6pm on Monday on MSN? Thanks

After Tuesday, when are you away until, David?

Martin : what happens here if a) it turns out I can't do Monday, or b) David and I do play on Monday, and David beats me and gets to the final but can't play for ages? Can foresee this causing problems anyway... :?
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Julian Fell wrote:Ok, well at the moment I can do that time... so, please can someone volunteer to host me vs. David in the COGST semi-finals, 6pm on Monday on MSN? Thanks

After Tuesday, when are you away until, David?

Martin : what happens here if a) it turns out I can't do Monday, or b) David and I do play on Monday, and David beats me and gets to the final but can't play for ages? Can foresee this causing problems anyway... :?
I am away for a week but although I shall be a little isolated I will need to make a trip once or twice to somewhere approximating civilisation. So after a few days I will be online again providing another window if our game has to be delayed. As for the second problem, what if I beat you? - I presume you are indeed taking the piss :x
Richard Priest
Devotee

Post by Richard Priest »

[quote="Julian Fell"]Ok, well at the moment I can do that time... so, please can someone volunteer to host me vs. David in the COGST semi-finals, 6pm on Monday on MSN? Thanks

I'd be happy to host.
Julian Fell
Series 48 Champion

Post by Julian Fell »

Ah brilliant, thanks v much Rich. See you then

No David, not taking the piss :? Why would I feel confident about playing you? You're an 880-point octochamp and a series champion (beating me on 4 different rounds when I was watching your series QF). You've put in some fantastic performances just in this competition so far. You're a 4-large specialist. I've been taken to crucial conundrums in two of my three COGST games so far. Need I say more?

Your online ranking is ridiculously low - from what I can see it's because you've spent most of your time playing the v best players like Corby, so no wonder. I hope it goes up to a more realistic level soon, and I wouldn't be surprised if you beat me to provide the 'springboard'...
Julian Fell
Series 48 Champion

Post by Julian Fell »

Just to warn you as well, David and Rich - I will almost certainly get disconnected at some point during the game tomorrow; it's happened each of the last three times I've hosted/played on MSN so it's a safe bet it's going to happen again. Seems to only happen once per game though so fingers crossed it won't spoil things too much. We may well have to replay one of the rounds though - hopefully not a really crucial one.

Oh and to you two and any spectators - I won't have had chance to watch Monday's TV episode (which I'm recapping) before I play David, so please don't tell me what happens :)
Richard Priest
Devotee

Post by Richard Priest »

Julian Fell wrote:Just to warn you as well, David and Rich - I will almost certainly get disconnected at some point during the game tomorrow; it's happened each of the last three times I've hosted/played on MSN so it's a safe bet it's going to happen again. Seems to only happen once per game though so fingers crossed it won't spoil things too much. We may well have to replay one of the rounds though - hopefully not a really crucial one.

Oh and to you two and any spectators - I won't have had chance to watch Monday's TV episode (which I'm recapping) before I play David, so please don't tell me what happens :)
Thanks Julian. Dinos had a few problems too when I hosted his game with Howard last week, and we managed somehow, but it's always better to be prepared so I appreciate the forewarning.

I probably won't have had chance to watch tomorrow's show either so I'll echo Julian in requesting no spoilers.
Paul Howe
Kiloposter

Post by Paul Howe »

Ben, don't know if you're around tonight, but I'll be signed in on apterous for the next couple of hours if you want to play our COGST game (may take a few mins to respond as I won't actually be at my computer, just checking from time to time).

If not, not sure when we can play, very busy at the min! Will try to sort something out for an evening this week if you let me know what's best for you.
Julian Fell
Series 48 Champion

Post by Julian Fell »

Just to say I've finally got round to recapping my SF vs. David which was played on Monday evening (thanks to Rich Priest for hosting)...

Score was David 81-105 Julian, so I go through to the Final and will be hoping to cause an upset against no. 1 seed Paul. Am also out for revenge after Paul beat me on a second conundrum at CONot, after I'd been 17 points up going into the last numbers round :x Not quite Tournoff vs. Gallen in series 52 maybe, but it still rankles :)

I guess, Paul, that we'll wait till a time's been set for the Plate final, and then arrange a time for after that? I know you're busy. Are you all right with playing on MSN when the time comes, though? I know you've played all your games on Apterous so far, but I reckon we need to make sure it's a difficult conundrum for the tournament final (prob my only chance of winning!)
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Julian Fell wrote:I guess, Paul, that we'll wait till a time's been set for the Plate final, and then arrange a time for after that? I know you're busy. Are you all right with playing on MSN when the time comes, though? I know you've played all your games on Apterous so far, but I reckon we need to make sure it's a difficult conundrum for the tournament final (prob my only chance of winning!)
Would this match be most likely at the weekend or on a weekday? I would like to catch the final live, but some nights I have college, so I may miss it.
Paul Howe
Kiloposter

Post by Paul Howe »

Julian Fell wrote:
I guess, Paul, that we'll wait till a time's been set for the Plate final, and then arrange a time for after that? I know you're busy. Are you all right with playing on MSN when the time comes, though? I know you've played all your games on Apterous so far, but I reckon we need to make sure it's a difficult conundrum for the tournament final (prob my only chance of winning!)
I guess so, I don't think it'll be happening this weekend though. The only feasible time is when I get back sometime on Sunday evening, and that'd be after a long drive so I'd rather not. I've not got much going on next week though so any evening should be OK, and yes MSN is fine.

Also, stop being so modest, Mr "And with that, so ends my run of 529 consecutive letters maxes in COGST" :? I'm still getting over the shock of managing to beat you at CONOT.
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Julian Fell wrote:
I guess, Paul, that we'll wait till a time's been set for the Plate final, and then arrange a time for after that?
Depending on Charlie and Michael's game, I'd ideally like to have both finals on the same day and on a weekend, although if it's an evening a lot of people should be able to watch. I personally much prefer to play on Apterous as I perceive the letters and numbers better on there than I do on MSN. But I admit it goes really quickly on Apterous which is good in general but if you've got people watching it might be too fast. Oh a reminder of the current draw

COGST 2008 final : Julian Fell (2) vs. Paul Howe (1)
COGST Plate final : Martin Gardner vs. winner of Charlie Reams vs. Michael Wallace
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Also when Reamsy annihilates Michael, can we play for third place?
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Dinos Sfyris wrote:Also when Reamsy annihilates Michael, can we play for third place?
Bring it on, biatch.

Wait, what do you mean 'when'...?
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Dinos Sfyris wrote:Also when Reamsy annihilates Michael, can we play for third place?
I wasn't gonna do that, you could always just do it unofficially.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Just so people know - Reams vs. Wallace 2: Search for the Stolen Moonlight should be happening at 2pm-ish on Monday on lolterous. Be there and marvel at our awesome skills (well, his awesome skills, but still).
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

(bump)

looks like this *might* be happening this evening now, we just don't know - basically don't get up early especially to watch us tomorrow
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

So can we have a date for the final s'il vous plaît?
Paul Howe
Kiloposter

Post by Paul Howe »

I gave Julian a list of times I could play in another post, unfortunately he seems to have vanished from the face of the Earth. He'll probably be back in a few months or so.

Julian, if you're out there, how about Sunday evening?
Julian Fell
Series 48 Champion

Post by Julian Fell »

Sorry for delay in replying, can't do tonight (Sunday) but I should be able to do any evening this coming week except Tues, if that's all right with you Paul?
Paul Howe
Kiloposter

Post by Paul Howe »

Monday at 8 works for me Julian.