COOT '08 Round One!

Discussion and announcements relating to unofficial Countdown competitions, held online or in real life. Observation, discussion, reflection, and other stuff ending in -ion.
JasonCullen
Devotee

Re: COOT '08 Round One!

Post by JasonCullen »

James Hurrell wrote:Shall we make it 7:30 to get you out of cooking?? :D OK - 6pm it is. I have notified Jason.
Yes I can do 6pm and I look forward to hosting my 3rd COOT match :) . My msn address is posted in this thread if anyone hasn't already got it and wishes to spectate this game.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Hi Jason - probably won't be able to get on at 7pm, that's a little early for me. Oh well, I'll just go online when I can, and see who's around... there's bound to be someone who can host us Ben...
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Post by Howard Somerset »

All the best to the players playing this evening. Hoping to get along to watch, but not sure I'll be able to make it.

Good luck also to everyone in the next round. I definitely won't be able to see any of those games, as I'll be in the Austrian Alps for a fortnight, but I may well catch the scores from time to time.

Hoping to be back in time for the first round of the Plate competition, but as I've said already to Jono, if I don't make the cut-off date for my first match, then I'll have to forfeit my place.

See you all when I get back. :)
JasonCullen
Devotee

Post by JasonCullen »

Corby wrote: Cool, any time after 8pm is good for me. Any volunteers for a host please?
I'll see what I can do guys but I might be able to do 8pm if I can delay my plans a bit. So is 8pm okay then for both of you?
JasonCullen
Devotee

Post by JasonCullen »

I'm glad to report that CountGen 2 is working sufficiently and so there will be the letter O appearing in some selections. Hopefully... :D
Last edited by JasonCullen on Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

James Hurrell wrote:Shall we make it 7:30 to get you out of cooking?? :D OK - 6pm it is. I have notified Jason.
Well Christine's not home at that time, so if I don't cook, I don't eat!

Martin
If you cut a gandiseeg in half, do you get two gandiseegs or two halves of a gandiseeg?
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

If Jason should be unable to fulfill his hosting duties I will also be available. Looking forward to some good quality games :)
JasonCullen
Devotee

Post by JasonCullen »

dinos_the_chemist wrote:If Jason should be unable to fulfill his hosting duties I will also be available. Looking forward to some good quality games :)
Well, I can definitely do game 1 between james and Martin at 6pm. But I'm unsure whether I can do game 2 at 8pm.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

I'm online now... waiting for Ben and a host...
Ben Pugh
Enthusiast

Post by Ben Pugh »

I'm online too.
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Just to say that I won my game 93 - 65. I know James is not experienced with MSN Messenger and I think that contributed, and also can people avoid sending messages between the rounds, as that makes the letters and numbers move upwards! Also one request would be that there's a pause given between the numbers and the target so people can write them down. You get ages to write down the letters, and no time to write down the numbers.

But anyway, thanks for the game and everything went smoothly apart from James' connection! I'm looking forward to the next round's draw today, and we'll have to see if Heather will turn up or not.

Martin
If you cut a gandiseeg in half, do you get two gandiseegs or two halves of a gandiseeg?
JasonCullen
Devotee

Post by JasonCullen »

Also one request would be that there's a pause given between the numbers and the target so people can write them down. You get ages to write down the letters, and no time to write down the numbers.
No problem Martin. I will make sure I give you time to write down the numbers next time I host any game. But, I can't be held responsible for when some people talk between letters but I will do my best to quell it next time ;). Very well played by the way :D
JasonCullen
Devotee

Post by JasonCullen »

I'm looking forward to the next round's draw today
I'm sure Jono said it was taking place on Monday 30 June at around 10 or 11pm. Unless, he has changed the date :?
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Both wrong. It's tomorrow night around 10 or 11. The aim is to get every round played from Sunday to Sunday.

The final result from the preliminary round:

Jon Corby 108-99 Ben Pugh

Assuming Heather Culpin does not arrive before tomorrow, the 16 in the second round draw will be:

SEEDS
Jon O'Neill
Paul Howe
Damian Eadie
Ben Wilson
Kirk Bevins
Dan Vanniasingham
Charlie Reams
Julian Fell

QUALIFIERS
Matt Coates
Rich Priest
Jon Corby
Dinos Sfyris
Richard Brittain
Martin Gardner
Jason Cullen
Karen Pearson
Last edited by Jon O'Neill on Sat Jun 28, 2008 8:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JasonCullen
Devotee

Post by JasonCullen »

Can two qualifiers face up against each other? Or are the seeds and the qualifiers separated like in Wimbledon so two high quality players wont meet at such an earlier stage in the tourny with one of them guaranteed to exit at such an early stage. Also, it would mean that one less-a-like player is guaranteed a quarter final berth if two qualifiers are drawn against each other (no disrespect to any qualifiers because I'm a qualifier too :D )?

So what is it to be Jono? Random draw or seeded protected draw?
Last edited by JasonCullen on Sat Jun 28, 2008 7:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.
JasonCullen
Devotee

Post by JasonCullen »

By my reckoning, Corby won 101-92 after he declared the crucial conundrum on 28 seconds! But I may be wrong as I did not write the scores down :oops:
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

jasoncullen wrote:

By my reckoning, Corby won 101-92 after he declared the crucial conundrum on 28 seconds! But I may be wrong as I did not write the scores down :oops:
Well, you're probably a more reliable source than Ben Wilson. Thank you. I shall amend it.
JasonCullen
Devotee

Post by JasonCullen »

Well, you're probably a more reliable source than Ben Wilson. Thank you. I shall amend it.
I would wait until Corby has posted the recap and that will clarify the score :D . I did get mixed up at one stage of the game so I may be wrong about 101-92 :x
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

It was indeed 108-99. The recap is here.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

I just don't know what to think any more.

:roll:
JasonCullen
Devotee

Post by JasonCullen »

Ginger Jono wrote:I just don't know what to think any more.

:roll:
Well Corby is right. I forgot to add on the 7 points each from the last numbers game because I was busy preparing the crucial conundrum :oops: . My bad Jono. Just to clarify the 108-99 score is correct and sorry for messing you around ;)