Countdown in Lincoln 2011- Saturday 29th January

Discussion and announcements relating to unofficial Countdown competitions, held online or in real life. Observation, discussion, reflection, and other stuff ending in -ion.
Mike Brown
Legend

Re: Countdown in Lincoln 2011- Saturday 29th January

Post by Mike Brown »

Joseph Krol wrote:
Joseph Krol wrote:For ease of recap construction, would anyone like me to design a recap form for COLIN? Will print off as many as people ask for, and will email them to you for doing them at home. Depending on demand, you may or may not be required to give me donations. :D
Just finished doing this. The final design uses pictures from the Countdwon Page, hope that no-one is annoyed.
Depending on how many pictures you've used, you may or may not be required to give me donations. :D
Joseph Krol
Kiloposter

Re: Countdown in Lincoln 2011- Saturday 29th Janua

Post by Joseph Krol »

Mike Brown wrote:
Joseph Krol wrote:
Joseph Krol wrote:For ease of recap construction, would anyone like me to design a recap form for COLIN? Will print off as many as people ask for, and will email them to you for doing them at home. Depending on demand, you may or may not be required to give me donations. :D
Just finished doing this. The final design uses pictures from the Countdwon Page, hope that no-one is annoyed.
Depending on how many pictures you've used, you may or may not be required to give me donations. :D
1 picture, replicated thrice. If you require payment i'll take them off (haven't printed any yet.)
Mike Brown
Legend

Post by Mike Brown »

Joseph Krol wrote:1 picture, replicated thrice. If you require payment i'll take them off (haven't printed any yet.)
Don't worry Joseph, it was just my (failed) attempt at humour... you can use as many as you like.
Joseph Krol
Kiloposter

Post by Joseph Krol »

Mike Brown wrote:
Joseph Krol wrote:1 picture, replicated thrice. If you require payment i'll take them off (haven't printed any yet.)
Don't worry Joseph, it was just my (failed) attempt at humour... you can use as many as you like.
Cheers. :D
Joseph Krol
Kiloposter

Post by Joseph Krol »

Joseph Krol wrote:
Mike Brown wrote:
Cheers. :D
Speaking of which, does anyone want some? (recap forms)
Lesley Hines
Kiloposter

Post by Lesley Hines »

Joseph Krol wrote:Speaking of which, does anyone want some? (recap forms)
That's very kind Joseph but Ben usually does a sterling job of putting the necessary paperwork on the forum before we're due to go, and then it's just a case of printing it off and filling it in there. It's terribly well organised, you know :) I'm sure he'll shout if he needs help.
Lowering the averages since 2009
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Lesley Hines wrote:
That's very kind Joseph but Ben usually does a sterling job of putting the necessary paperwork on the forum before we're due to go, and then it's just a case of printing it off and filling it in there. It's terribly well organised, you know :) I'm sure he'll shout if he needs help.
If you want to bring along your own scoresheets you're more than welcome, but I'll be editing and uploading the 2011 scoresheets in short order (an action which consists of precisely four keystrokes. Six, if you count ctrl+s :))
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

FA CUP 4th Round Draw:

Arsenal/Leeds United v HUDDERSFIELD TOWN

I think my CoLin debut might be in danger.....

Incidentally, if it's Leeds, I'm defo going to CoLin. :D
Neil Zussman
Enthusiast

Post by Neil Zussman »

James Robinson wrote:FA CUP 4th Round Draw:

Why would you want to go there? Everyone knows the best 4th round match will be at the Liberty Stadium... Up the O's! :D

Also in case anyone missed my plea on the previous page I'd be very grateful to anyone who can drive me the last 10 miles of my journey to CoLin, from Newark Northgate Station. :)
Phil Collinge
Acolyte

Post by Phil Collinge »

Neil Zussman wrote: Also in case anyone missed my plea on the previous page I'd be very grateful to anyone who can drive me the last 10 miles of my journey to CoLin, from Newark Northgate Station. :)
Neil, we're staying near the venue on the Friday night so if you're really struggling 10 miles isn't the end of the world. Let me know nearer the time if nothing easier has turned up.
Joseph Krol
Kiloposter

Post by Joseph Krol »

Monies in the post as of yesterday.
Josh Hurst
Enthusiast

Post by Josh Hurst »

Is anybody going by car from the Manchester area on the Saturday morning? If so, is there space for one more? I'd pay petrol monies obvs. I'm thinking I may have to end up getting a train on Friday and stay in the Travelodge, which I'm happy to do, but would drive up costs a fair bit. Who'd have thunk one could pay in the region of £100 pounds for a day spent playing the Countdown board game with other internet freaks :?:
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Lesley Hines wrote:
Speaking of which... http://www.nebagram.co.uk/scoresheet2011.doc :)
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Ben Wilson wrote:Open 1000
Exhibition Game 1 1030
Exhibition game 2 1100
Round 1 1130
Lunch 1300
Round 2 1400
Round 3 1530
Prizegiving 1700
How optimistic are you with this finishing time, and how close is the pub/a pub with a TV showing the football? Saints v Man Utd is on at 17:15, and (I don't mean to be rude, but) I'll definitely be sat in front of a big screen with a beer in my hand at that time!

Edit: Oldham 0-5 Saints (L)
Bring on Man U! Er...

Fucking hell, 6.
Last edited by Jon Corby on Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Jon Corby wrote:Saints v Man Utd is on at 17:15, and (I don't mean to be rude, but) I'll definitely be sat in front of a big screen with a beer in my hand at that time!
MASSIVE game. I might have to gbreak my New Year's resolution and sink a few pints for this one. Saints stand no chance whatsoever Jon.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Ryan Taylor wrote:
Jon Corby wrote:Saints v Man Utd is on at 17:15, and (I don't mean to be rude, but) I'll definitely be sat in front of a big screen with a beer in my hand at that time!
MASSIVE game. I might have to gbreak my New Year's resolution and sink a few pints for this one. Saints stand no chance whatsoever Jon.
Meh. We've just recorded our 5th win in a row with a 6-0 win at Oldham (a team only just outside the play-offs). I don't expect anything particularly, but Man U will not send the A-team so anything might happen potentially. The only thing I think we can really be sure of is that I will get really, really drunk.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Jon Corby wrote:
Ryan Taylor wrote:
Meh. We've just recorded our 5th win in a row with a 6-0 win at Oldham (a team only just outside the play-offs). I don't expect anything particularly, but Man U will not send the A-team so anything might happen potentially. The only thing I think we can really be sure of is that I will get really, really drunk.
And then you will snore REALLY loudly.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Ryan Taylor wrote:And then you will snore REALLY loudly.
Oh yeah baby! Wait, are you a Man U fan?
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Jon Corby wrote:
Ryan Taylor wrote:And then you will snore REALLY loudly.
Oh yeah baby! Wait, are you a Man U fan?
Errrrrrrrm...no..
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Ryan Taylor wrote:Errrrrrrrm...no..
Okay, cool.

Waaaaaaait a minute, are you tricking me?
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Jon Corby wrote:
Ryan Taylor wrote:Errrrrrrrm...no..
Okay, cool.

Waaaaaaait a minute, are you tricking me?
Errrrrrrrm...no..
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

James Robinson wrote:FA CUP 4th Round Draw:

GOOD NEWS!!!

ESPN have decided to show the Town match and it's now been moved to Sunday lunchtime.

Expect me at Co:Lin, Mr Wilson. ;) :) :D :mrgreen: 8-)
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

James Robinson wrote:ESPN have decided to show the Town match and it's now been moved to Sunday lunchtime.

Awesome!

12 noon kick off as well, I've got time to watch that before my train home. Are you staying overnight James?
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Jon Corby wrote:
James Robinson wrote:ESPN have decided to show the Town match and it's now been moved to Sunday lunchtime.

Awesome!

12 noon kick off as well, I've got time to watch that before my train home. Are you staying overnight James?
I'm staying overnight at the Best Western on the Friday, but I'm heading back home on Saturday night, just in case we get Arsenal, so I have enough time to get down to the Emirates, if needs be.

Although, if we get Leeds, I'll just watch it at home.
Chris Corby
Devotee

Post by Chris Corby »

Ryan Taylor wrote:
Jon Corby wrote:
Ryan Taylor wrote: MASSIVE game. I might have to gbreak my New Year's resolution and sink a few pints for this one. Saints stand no chance whatsoever Jon.
And then you will snore REALLY loudly.
As you are sharing a room, who will be top and who will be bottom or will you toss for it on the night?

Late edit: I inadvertently missed out the words "bunk beds"
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Page updated with all entrants- we're now at 24, so there's still plenty of space left for more! There are just 13 days left, and pre-preparation is coming along nicely. The COLIN puzzle mag is finished and ready for printing- many thanks to Ryan Taylor for contributing another crossword for inclusion in the mag.

I've also got into the bad habit of looking at things, thinking 'ooh, that'd make a good COLIN prize' and sticking them in the pile. As it stands now, the prize haul is gargantuan on an entirely new level- with additional thanks going to Raccoon Boy (?) Michael Wallace for donating some Co:Lon 2010 leftovers to the pile- and I should have a photo of it for you all at some point during the week. Well, all the prizes except the perpetual trophy of course, which is currently residing chez Bevatron.
Lesley Hines
Kiloposter

Post by Lesley Hines »

Stew and apple crumble and custard please - om nom nom :D

Car will be leaving Worcester in time to get there if anyone fancies sharing a ride - last year's garage fiasco is now fixed ( :lol: ) - so send me a pm if you're anywhere near :)
Lowering the averages since 2009
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

STOP THE PRESS

Gev is coming?
Mike Brown
Legend

Post by Mike Brown »

Jon Corby wrote:STOP THE PRESS

Gev is coming?
If this happens, it'll be the biggest news in Countdownland since Jeff and Rachel took over!
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Mike Brown wrote:

Gev is coming?
If this happens, it'll be the biggest news in Countdownland since Jeff and Rachel took over!
Well I've had a Paypal payment from him...
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Ben Wilson wrote:
Mike Brown wrote:

Gev is coming?
Well I've had a Paypal payment from him...
And he's text me a picture of himself holding a train ticket...
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Matt Morrison wrote: And he's text me a picture of himself holding a train ticket...
Texted?

EDIT: Actually, I'm just resurrecting this thread aren't I?
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

i will defo be coming as long as i can either pay on the day or paypal it on 27th as ive been sacked.
Maybe i should pm Ben but last time i did that im werent a well boy lol
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Marc Meakin wrote:i will defo be coming as long as i can either pay on the day or paypal it on 27th as ive been sacked.
I almost daren't ask... but why have you been sacked?
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Jon Corby wrote:
Marc Meakin wrote:i will defo be coming as long as i can either pay on the day or paypal it on 27th as ive been sacked.
Death threats to the boss?
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Jon Corby wrote:
Death threats to the boss?
He actually murdered the boss, replaced him, then sacked himself due to being schizo.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

OK so i aint foed by everyone.
I took an 'abandoned' bike that had no pedals 2 flat tyres and 6 months of dust on the seat, and gave it to a charitable case (ex girlfriends autistic nephew) however the worlds worse "thief" left the bolt croppers out and thus created sa chain of events whereby the grossly overweight owner of said bike decided to claim on insurance and as i took yhe bike in plain site i was on camera (my belief is that i was taking something notclaimedby a company that went broke 6 months ago)
Anyhoo i got arrested by the city of london police who came all the way to milton keynes and alyhough i came quietly was put in handcuffs for the hours duration(maybe one of the coppers foes on c4c) anyway that case is pending (tresspass and burglary no less) but my company decided to sack me for theft without considering compelling mitigating circumstances.

Footnote my housing benefit and JSA mean i have more disposable income ......go figure.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Replied to in the other thread.
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Post by JackHurst »

Is anybody driving through or near Cambridge on their way there?
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Quick note to say if you haven't ordered food yet- now is the time to do so. Payment on the day is fine but you really do need to let me know that you'll be wanting food and precisely what it is you'll want.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

go on then ben, stew and trifle plz
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Ben Wilson wrote:Quick note to say if you haven't ordered food yet- now is the time to do so. Payment on the day is fine but you really do need to let me know that you'll be wanting food and precisely what it is you'll want.
Thanks Ben I will pay on the day
is savaloy and chips a food option lol
But seriously i only got 3 minutes of internet time left so i would like a fish or chicken dinner and any pudding as long as it is not rhubarb
Also pn your mobi in case im running late and i will send you mine.
Thanks
Joseph Krol
Kiloposter

Post by Joseph Krol »

1 week to go and I have yet to obtain an ODE. Seems unlikely that I'll get one, but watch this space as I am going to WHSmith today.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Numbers now stand at 29 and there's still plenty of space so if you're interested, just drop me a line! Of course if 6 years of tournament-organising history has taught me anything, it's that things do change at a moment's notice. I worked out last night that I've organised 17 wordgame tournaments over the last 6 years and of those 17, maybe 5 or 6 had the same starting line-up of players as was advertised just 24 hours before.

What I'm trying to say is if anyone knows anyone who'd be willing to act as a reserve player on the day (they wouldn't be expected to pay if they are needed to play) it would make things a lot easier than in previous years when I've had to press-gang people/insert fictional computer players into the draw. Obviously with tables of three I'll need two reserve players- unless there are any objections, I'm quite happy to act as second reserve myself (would've done so last year in fact if I wasn't being ill all over the place).

Also, if anyone has any additional board games/ODE2rs they can bring along it'd be much appreciated!
Joseph Krol
Kiloposter

Post by Joseph Krol »

If you desperately need to make numbers up, I can try to get my sister to partake.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

I don't so much need to make numbers up but more to make them up to a multiple of 3 in case of emergency- someone who'll come along prepared to play but wouldn't be too disappointed if they didn't.

Lunch orders so far-

Jon O'Neill
Kirk Bevins
Jack Hurst
James Robinson
Matt Bayfield
Lesley Hines
Richard Priest
Mike Brown
Jim Bentley
Phil Collinge
Supee Juachan
Josh Hurst
Gevin Chapwell
Paul Thompson
Mark Tournoff

if your name's not on there, you've either told me you definitely won't lunch, or you haven't yet ordered it/I've somehow misplaced the order. I'll need to know precise numbers for food by tomorrow night at the absolute latest.

A reminder of the menu-

Main course

stew w. mashed potato
or
vegetarian quiche

pudding

home made apple crumble w. custard
or
home made trifle
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

stew and apple pie for me......not sure whats for pud tho
i am coming and i will be reserve if needed im only here for the craic
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

I can safely say this is the most excited I've ever been about a CO-thing.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Jon O'Neill wrote:I can safely say this is the most excited I've ever been about a CO-thing.
Please break your excitement down into the following criteria:

Countdown: %
Lincoln: %
Stew 'n' puddin': %
Matt Morrison: %
"Gevin Chipper": %
Marc Meakin: %

Thanks.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

Jon O'Neill wrote:I can safely say this is the most excited I've ever been about a CO-thing.
:( :( :( :(
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Matt Morrison wrote:
Please break your excitement down into the following criteria:

Countdown: %
Lincoln: %
Stew 'n' puddin': %
Matt Morrison: %
"Gevin Chipper": %
Marc Meakin: %

Thanks.
Countdown: 4%
Lincoln: 2%
Stew 'n' puddin': 10%
Matt Morrison: 15%
"Gevin Chipper": 42%
Marc Meakin: 10%
Train hourney as a whole: 27%
Michael Wallace wrote:
:( :( :( :(
Grow up you soft prick.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Jon O'Neill wrote:Countdown: 4%
Lincoln: 2%
Stew 'n' puddin': 10%
Matt Morrison: 15%
"Gevin Chipper": 42%
Marc Meakin: 10%
Train hourney as a whole: 27%
Nice, nice. I getcha! :D
Soph K
Devotee

Post by Soph K »

Joseph Krol wrote:If you desperately need to make numbers up, I can try to get my sister to partake.
NO!
im not good enough

so NO!
flippineck do you ever listen to a word i say joseph?!? I keep telling you. so just to make it clear, NO!

No.
One Direction are my life. <3
"The reason for life is to find out who you are"
"It always seems impossible until it's done" :)
Love loads of celebs to be honest... Might marry Nicky Maccy :P
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Soph K wrote:
Joseph Krol wrote:If you desperately need to make numbers up, I can try to get my sister to partake.
NO!
im not good enough

so NO!
flippineck do you ever listen to a word i say joseph?!? I keep telling you. so just to make it clear, NO!

No.
So, we'll count you in then?
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

Awesome, two Krols for the price of one. (Literally.)
16/10/2007 - Episode 4460
Dinos Sfyris 76 - 78 Dorian Lidell
Proof that even idiots can get well and truly mainwheeled.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Kai Laddiman wrote:Awesome, two Krols for the price of one. (Literally.)
That deserves a drum Krol.
Btw last call for lift from london or milton keynes unless jono wants me to share his train jouirney lol
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Marc Meakin wrote:
Btw last call for lift from london or milton keynes unless jono wants me to share his train jouirney lol
I'll pick you up. Wait by Milton Keynes station for me.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Jon Corby wrote:
Marc Meakin wrote:
I'll pick you up. Wait by Milton Keynes station for me.
Are you serious sir!!!! cos i will split the petrol and promise not to chat shite shite for the entire journey (well not the ENTIRE journey lol) pm me if you are serious jon.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Marc Meakin wrote:Are you serious sir!!!! cos i will split the petrol and promise not to chat shite shite for the entire journey (well not the ENTIRE journey lol) pm me if you are serious jon.
No, I just want you to stand outside MK station rather than get on the groovy train with me, Jono, MWM et al. :twisted:

(Sorry if you got your hopes up :mrgreen: )
Joseph Krol
Kiloposter

Post by Joseph Krol »

Marc Meakin wrote:
I do not like people who misuse or mispell the Krol name. (I have so far recorded 11 different spellings of my name, which I will post if anyone wants me to.)