COOT '08 Official Enrolment Thread

Discussion and announcements relating to unofficial Countdown competitions, held online or in real life. Observation, discussion, reflection, and other stuff ending in -ion.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

COOT '08 Official Enrolment Thread

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Alrighty then!

The 2008 season of the Countdown Online Tournament is now underway. Here are the things I've been thinking about:

No group stages. Take too long and are too reliant on everyone turning up and arranging their games. Group stages have been the downfall of previous COOTs, so fuckem.

The top eight players according to Soo's ratings will be seeded in the first round and given preference for byes.

Apart from that, all the draws will be random. It's a bit like the FA Cup.

Losers in the prelim (last 32) and first round (last 16) will go into the Plate '08, which rhymes, so it's probably going to be the best losers' tournament ever.

Signups close on the 25th May, whenceupon (err, upon whence??) I will do a draw and give some more details. Just leave your name here. All communication will be done through this section of the forums or private messages.

Good luck!
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Re: COOT '08 Official Enrolment Thread

Post by Jon O'Neill »

People who entered in the other thread:

Ben Pugh
Richard Brittain
Dinos Syfris
Martin Gardner
Matt Coates
Michael Wallace
Rich Priest
Damian Eadie
Howard Somerset
Ben Wilson
David O'Donnell
Matthew Green
Heather Culpin
Jon Corby

So that's fourteen already. And I'm gonna count myself in, unless it takes the total to 33 or 65..
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Also, if you're new to MSN Countdown and feel like getting in some practise before the tournament to familiarise yourself, this is what to do:

Install Windows Live Messenger

Add me, my address being gingerjono[at]hotmail[dot]com.

Lovely :)
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Post by David O'Donnell »

Good man, Jono.

If you need a hand with anything you know not to come to me as I will only completely fuck it up.
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Post by Howard Somerset »

Ginger Jono wrote:Apart from that, all the draws will be random. It's a bit like the FA Cup.
I trust that, if you're going to make the draw like they do it for the FA Cup, then you're ready for two has-beens handling your balls.

I'm wondering which two has-beens you're going to select. And remember you can chose a different couple for each round.
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

I won't put my name down to compete, but I've hosted a few games before, so if I'm ever online I could host one or two more games.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Why aren't you competing?
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Ginger Jono wrote:Why aren't you competing?
I just like playing in person more than online.
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Howard Somerset wrote:
Ginger Jono wrote:Apart from that, all the draws will be random. It's a bit like the FA Cup.
I trust that, if you're going to make the draw like they do it for the FA Cup, then you're ready for two has-beens handling your balls.

I'm wondering which two has-beens you're going to select. And remember you can chose a different couple for each round.

:D :D :D
Julian Fell
Series 48 Champion

Post by Julian Fell »

I'll have a go Jono. Will be my first Countdown competition of any kind since September 2004... I feel like I should be asking for a wildcard, I haven't played for so long.

Btw has there been any news about if/when COBris will be on this year?

Julian
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Julian wrote:Btw has there been any news about if/when COBRIS will be on this year?
I don't think there is going to be one and I am the one to blame, for having to postpone COLIVER 'til April 2009 (for now). Sorry.
JasonCullen
Devotee

Post by JasonCullen »

When is this online tourny? Can you put me on the list please, Jono? :D
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Signups close on the 25th May, whenceupon (err, upon whence??) I will do a draw and give some more details.

Jason, you are in.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Julian wrote:I'll have a go Jono. Will be my first Countdown competition of any kind since September 2004... I feel like I should be asking for a wildcard, I haven't played for so long.

Btw has there been any news about if/when COBris will be on this year?

Julian
I don't believe there will be one, unfortunately.
JasonCullen
Devotee

Post by JasonCullen »

Ginger Jono wrote:Signups close on the 25th May, whenceupon (err, upon whence??) I will do a draw and give some more details.

Jason, you are in.
Cheers Jono :D
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Ok. Conor and Paul still haven't got around to sorting out their final so I'm gonna extend the signup deadline a week to next Sunday, June 1st. Sorry to all those who are patiently waiting but I'd really rather they didn't overlap.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Count me in with 5 minutes to spare.

Edit: Just read Jono's post above....a week and 5 minutes to spare :shock:
Julian Fell
Series 48 Champion

Post by Julian Fell »

Ginger Jono wrote:Ok. Conor and Paul still haven't got around to sorting out their final so I'm gonna extend the signup deadline a week to next Sunday, June 1st. Sorry to all those who are patiently waiting but I'd really rather they didn't overlap.
Hmmm... ok, but is it likely that Conor and Paul will be able to get their 5th match played before next Sunday? I thought they were both in the middle of exams?

Maybe (especially as there's apparently no COBris this year) it would be better to postpone this COOT for a few more weeks, till all people's various exams are over? Then you could maybe get Paul, Conor and Charlie on board. Would be good to get as strong a line-up as possible. I'd've thought Conor would want to take part, since he reached the final of all three previous COOTs.

Mind you I suppose if you leave it too long then everyone'll be off on holiday...

Anyway it's your tournament Jono and I don't mind what you decide, just giving some thoughts
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Okay, good thinking. If their final hasn't been played by Sunday I'll postpone it until after exam times. There's no rush really, I guess. If anyone wants to host something smaller scale in the meantime with people who are currently up for it, then that would be great.
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

I'll put my name down, just in case there was any doubt about that.

Martin
If you cut a gandiseeg in half, do you get two gandiseegs or two halves of a gandiseeg?
Paul Howe
Kiloposter

Post by Paul Howe »

Massive apologies for keeping everyone waiting. I have a marathon session of 6 exams in 5 days next week and I don't know when Conor finishes, but hopefully we should be able to get something sorted for the week after next, after the effects of the drunken stupor that I plan on drinking myself into have worn off.

Also, I need to sort out my internet access, as I have been blocked from everything outside the .cam domain for using too much bandwidth looking at things I really shouldn't have been looking at :) But hopefully that will come back up on 1 June.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

What's going on with this? Can I still sign up?
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Yeah. I'm just pushing it back to a time when Paul and Conor have finished playing their final and can participate in this one, as well. No rush!
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Ginger Jono wrote:Yeah. I'm just pushing it back to a time when Paul and Conor have finished playing their final and can participate in this one, as well. No rush!
Live draw at CONOT then :-/

(This is not a knock on Paul & Conor, btw. Well, it's not a knock on Paul anyway).
Julian Fell
Series 48 Champion

Post by Julian Fell »

Anybody in touch with Conor, who knows when he might be back?

Btw Charlie would you be able to update your ratings with the results from COMA? Or would you want to wait till it's finished, before you put any of the results in?
Karen Pearson
Devotee

Post by Karen Pearson »

If it's not too late, I'd like to sign up to this please. Thanks.
Ben Pugh
Enthusiast

Post by Ben Pugh »

I'm guessing that Conor is doing Further Maths, the people doing Further Maths have their last exam on Thursday, so he might be back after then.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Julian wrote:Btw Charlie would you be able to update your ratings with the results from COMA? Or would you want to wait till it's finished, before you put any of the results in?
I would rather wait til it's finished, but I'll definitely update them before CONOT.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

Ben Pugh wrote:I'm guessing that Conor is doing Further Maths, the people doing Further Maths have their last exam on Thursday, so he might be back after then.
Isn't he doing STEP, too? Back in my day STEP was well after A levels, so it may be longer still.
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Yeah STEP generally comes after everything else. Still not to visit the forum at all through the entire duration of your exams is a bit severe IMHO.
You're meant to revise for small periods of time with mini-breaks in between, and sometimes let those mini-breaks get outrageously long!
Paul Howe
Kiloposter

Post by Paul Howe »

dinos_the_chemist wrote:Yeah STEP generally comes after everything else. Still not to visit the
forum at all through the entire duration of your exams is a bit severe
IMHO.
Quite right! I had my audition right in the middle of my finals, some people just have their priorities mixed up.
Michael Wallace wrote:
Isn't he doing STEP, too? Back in my day STEP was well after A levels, so it may be longer still.
Arrgh, I still have nightmares about STEP III. Wouldn't Conor be doing them next year though, seeing as he's lower sixth (I think)?

In any case, I tried contacting him on his profile email address at the weekend, and haven't got a response, so doesn't look like anything will be happening soon.
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Just for the sake of it, what does COOT stand for?

Martin
If you cut a gandiseeg in half, do you get two gandiseegs or two halves of a gandiseeg?
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Post by Howard Somerset »

My understanding from a few students I've had recently is that the STEP exams are extra exams after A levels, and are for admission to Cambridge, and maybe Oxford as well. (The three students I had were all going for Cambridge.) In all cases, the students had done their maths A levels a year early, and were studying for STEPs in year 13.

In any case, it would seem a little early for Conor to be doing STEPs this year, though. But maybe he is going for it.
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Martin Gardner wrote:Just for the sake of it, what does COOT stand for?

Martin
COOT Stands for: COuntdown Online Tournament
Julian Fell
Series 48 Champion

Post by Julian Fell »

Jono what're you thinking of in terms of format for this COOT - 9-round or 15-round? (I hope you'll make it a 15-round Final, at least...)
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Everything's gonna be 15 rounds. People won't get bored, I'm fairly confident. The thing that takes time is arranging a host, getting everything ready but once everyone is in the swing of thigns the extra rounds don't take that much longer. And obviously 15 rounds is a better indicator of who has played better. So yep, all 15 rounds.
Richard Brittain
Series Champ

Post by Richard Brittain »

I think we should just award Paul Howe the COMA title and get started with COOT. The waiting has gone beyond a joke now. Clearly, Conor Travers isn't interested in finishing it. He couldn't have forgotten about it, considering the memory he possesses, and regardless of what exams he might be doing, he must have had a spare 15 minutes in the past 2 months to play the last leg of this game, or at least to just post here or email someone about the situation.

We might as well get started now. These games aren't very time-consuming, can be done in 10 minutes, so I really don't think playing a game or two each week is going to affect anyone's exam results. I seriously doubt anyone anywhere revises for more than 2 to 3 hours per day anyway, for any exam, unless they decide to cram it all into the last couple of days which would give them plenty of free days to play Countdown anyway.
Damian E
Enthusiast

Post by Damian E »

Richard - such emotion.

I'll print this out and post it off to Des Lynam - he'll be astonished. :D :mrgreen: :D
Richard Brittain
Series Champ

I wouldn't say Des Lynam looks too full of emotion when interviewing people on Setanta Sports either, but you're right.. I have grown more passionate with maturing age. At CoC, I may even bring my broadsword and decide to decapitate DoD on camera when he beats me.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

It would be a great disppointment that the very last game of the tournament would be usurped like this, but Conor has been AWOL for ages, despite my emails and text messages- and the first game of the final was played way back on March 22nd. Horrendous- and thus, I'm setting a deadline of June 22nd for the final game of the final to be played- unless Conor can contact me with a date he'd prefer.
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

I suppose the point is even if he doesn't have time to play, it takes seconds just to let us know... I'd rather forfeit than keep a tournament wait three months. Having said that I hope he comes back and does a tournament soon.

Martin
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Richard Brittain wrote:I seriously doubt anyone anywhere revises for more than 2 to 3 hours per day anyway, for any exam, unless they decide to cram it all into the last couple of days which would give them plenty of free days to play Countdown anyway.
Buddy, you dropped out of Cambridge way too soon. Had you made it to exam term, you would've seen people doing 14-hour days in the library weeks before their exams. I've done 10+ hours (when necessary) during the Easter vacation (which is about 2 months before exams.) Speaking for myself, it wasn't a problem to find 15 minutes, but I had to avoid absolutely anything that might break my focus. Maybe Conor feels the same, and in any case I'm sure he'll resurface eventually.
Paul Howe
Kiloposter

Post by Paul Howe »

I wouldn't be satisified if I won by default. The main reason to impose a deadline is to allow COOT to get underway, and whilst I appreciate the gesture in holding it up, I think it would be better if COOT got started and to play the COMA final whenever Conor returns from the wilderness. That's not my decision to make of course, just my opinion.

And seeing as this is the COOT '08 Official Enrolment Thread, you'd better sign me up ;)
Richard Brittain
Series Champ

Charlie.. In my opinion, there isn't so much useful knowledge in the world that anyone should ever have to study that hard; it must be mostly useless, purely academic knowledge that they are studying, in my opinion. I take your point that people at Oxbridge do work ridiculously hard.. However, Conor Travers is doing his A-levels, and we all know how easy they are these days. It certainly isn't necessary to do more than about 2-3 hours revision per day for a week or so in order to get all As, provided you've paid some attention in classes throughout the year. Actually, the sudden jump between doing A-levels and working at Cambridge is really quite ridiculous in my opinion. I know what you say is true because there were people studying 10 hours per day regularly just in their first term. Being worked like a slave isn't really my thing, regardless of what the financial outcome might be after 4 years.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Richard Brittain wrote:it must be mostly useless, purely academic knowledge that they are studying, in my opinion.
Yup, for me it was mainly memorising equations and algorithms which, in reality, no one would actually try to recall from memory. In their defence, having to learn it to such pointless levels of detail forced me to understand the conceptual stuff really well. Whether that's a good way to learn I'll leave you to decide.
Julian Fell
Series 48 Champion

Post by Julian Fell »

Can I just say that the atmosphere, the ethos, at Cambridge University in exam term is, mentally, the most unhealthy environment I've ever experienced, and I'm amazed that more people don't collapse under its strain. Richard, if you dropped out I don't blame you, and I wholeheartedly agree that it's wrong to work people that hard.

That small rant over - I agree that Conor should have let someone know how long he'd be away / when he'd be back... I know only too well that there are more important things in life than Countdown (bear in mind that it may not be exams that's keeping him away...), but still, if you're in the middle of a tournament you should just send someone a quick email to tell them what's going on.

I partly agree with what Paul said, but I think a lot of us were/are hoping Conor would take part in this COOT as well - after all, he won COOTs 2 and 3 and reached the final of COOT 1. But, reluctantly I'd have to agree with Ben in setting a deadline - from what I've seen, Ben did make it clear right from the beginning that he wanted COMA to progress quickly and smoothly, and Conor can't really have any complaints if he's defaulted after disappearing for several months in the middle of it.
Karen Pearson
Devotee

Post by Karen Pearson »

[quote="Julian"]

I agree that Conor should have let someone know how long he'd be away / when he'd be back.

[quote]

Given that Conor lives at home, is it just possible that his mum has confiscated his PC so he has no way of getting in touch?!! That would be so embarrassing, wouldn't it?!
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Karen Pearson wrote:
Julian wrote:
I agree that Conor should have let someone know how long he'd be away / when he'd be back.

Given that Conor lives at home, is it just possible that his mum has confiscated his PC so he has no way of getting in touch?!! That would be so embarrassing, wouldn't it?!
I've also contacted him via text message without reply.
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Julian wrote:(bear in mind that it may not be exams that's keeping him away)
Lol :D yeah he might have found a girlfriend, maybe... :?
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Isn't it a bit pointless setting him an arbitrary deadline which in all likelihood he won't be aware of? You might just as well sling him out now as it's already been ages, although personally I don't see the harm in just leaving it, it's not like it really affects anything.
(Bear in mind his absence could be due to some colossal family tragedy or something)
Julian Fell
Series 48 Champion

Post by Julian Fell »

That's what I was getting at Corby, although God forbid that it should be true, of course...

The thing is that Jono's said he doesn't want COMA and COOT IV to overlap, so, unless Jono wants to change his mind about that (?), you'd have to set a deadline for COMA really, because it's a bit unfair if you've got 20-odd players ready and keen and waiting to play a tournament (and have been for weeks), waiting on one person.
Julian Fell
Series 48 Champion

Post by Julian Fell »

Jono would you be willing to let COMA and COOT IV overlap, since it doesn't look like Conor's going to be back any time soon? I still think Ben would be within his rights to default Conor from COMA though, even if Jono did agree to that. But I agree with others that it'd be a shame to have COMA won by default.

Also Charlie: you'll update your ratings with the results (so far!) from COMA before Jono does the COOT draw won't you? (even if that does push me ever further down the table!)

Edit to say: and I suppose that start of next week would be a good time to start a COOT, everyone's just watched the finals and had chance to test themselves against one of the greats, David O'D, so they should be keen and ready etc. Of course it's up to Jono in the end.
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

My computer-less state seems permanent so it looks like I will have to give COOT a miss, sorry... am gutted.
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

I'm away in France from the 25/07 until the 19/08 so if that counts me out, so be it.

Martin
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Yeah I suppose I'm pretty bored of waiting by now. The draw will take palce on Sunday so if there's anyone who hasn't replied in here yet but would like to play then speak now!
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

And only a month behind schedule! Just had an entry from Dan Van.
Julian Fell
Series 48 Champion

Post by Julian Fell »

Ah that's a shame David... you and Conor would probably have been the two favourites and you're both going to be absent... still, what can you do. Hopefully it'll still be a good tournament.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Martin Gardner wrote:I'm away in France from the 25/07 until the 19/08 so if that counts me out, so be it.

Martin
Well, I'll put you in. In all likelihood you'll have to forfeit later on but it's not the end of the world.

Ben Pugh
Ben Wilson
Charlie Reams
Damian Eadie
Dan Vanniasingham
Dinos Syfris
Heather Culpin
Howard Somerset
James Hurrel
Jason Cullen
Jon Corby
Jon O'Neill
Julian Fell
Karen Pearson
Kirk Bevins
Martin Gardner
Matt Coates
Matthew Green
Michael Wallace
Paul Howe
Rich Priest
Richard Brittain

That means 22 entries. I did hear from some guy who wanted in but that was ages ago and I've forgotten his name, so if you want in mate, speak now. Same goes for everyone else. I'll do the draw at 10 or 11 tonight.

Good luck all!

EDIT: If you haven't added me on MSN Messenger yet, do it now! gingerjono at hotmail dot com. Nice one!
Last edited by Jon O'Neill on Sun Jun 22, 2008 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
James Hurrell
Acolyte

Post by James Hurrell »

Hi Jono - Just read this link (only started posting again on these pages this weekend so a bit out of touch) so I know this is late but sign me up. Never played any online games but no doubt there is instruction somewhere on here about what I need to install/do to get ready to play.

Any help would be welcome.
JasonCullen
Devotee

Post by JasonCullen »

I'll do the draw at 10 or 11 tonight.
Is this a live draw which we can spectate and speculate on? :)