Feedback on Colin 2008

Discussion and announcements relating to unofficial Countdown competitions, held online or in real life. Observation, discussion, reflection, and other stuff ending in -ion.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Feedback on Colin 2008

Post by Charlie Reams »

Bloody brilliant.
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Re: Feedback on Colin 2008

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Aye twas excellent. Really enjoyed meeting all who attended. Even my girlfriend had a good time :!: (though she got a bit huffy when she said STARGAZE instead of STARGAZER for conundrum and was disallowed) Love the personal conundrums and calendars as well. I'm up to date already (although Jan 2nd's letters repeat on Jan 22nd!) Cant wait for CO-LEI :)
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Post by Howard Somerset »

Had a great time. Thanks Ben for organising it. Thanks Ben's mum for catering for us. And thanks to all participants for your friendship.

Here are just a few pics you might like to add to your collection, Ben. Others duplicate too much the ones you've already posted. Looking forward to the next event that I can get to.

http://picasaweb.google.com/howards46/C ... vwbOX2bEVg
Conor
Series 54 Champion

Post by Conor »

I also agree that it was awesome. Thanks to Ben and his mum for running it very well again. I'm pleased (and surprised) to win, but that was second to just having fun and meeting everyone there.
Mike Brown
Legend

Post by Mike Brown »

What else can I add? Possibly the best COLIN ever? It was great to catch up with everyone and also to meet a few new faces. And I must add my thanks to Ben and his mum (plus Sue - and the anonymous person in the kitchen at lunchtime!) for their excellent organization and the much-needed refreshments.

Hope to see everyone again soon.

Mike.
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

It was a rather enjoyable day. It was nice to see everyone again and also meet and play against some new people. I have also learnt from the event, not to ask for 4 large numbers and to start learning words with the prefix FORE (and also remember EXORDIA and FEIJOA) :lol:.

Thank you Ben, Jill and every one else involved in making the event a huge success :D. Can't wait till COLIN 2009.
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

I have to agree with all the fulsome praise so far, it was for me the best one yet. I didn't do great at the actual games - except for one (hi Mike!) - but everything was so easy-going, which is my sort of thing. I got to meet a bunch of people I'd not met before and see another load of people that I had, and had a good laugh throughout it all. Also Chris told me some scurrilous gossip about Des O'Connor, which was cool.

Thanks to Ben for getting it all going and to the lovely Jill (and her cohorts) for serving me tea whenever I demanded it, which was often. I'm there next year, if it's on!
James Hurrell
Acolyte

Post by James Hurrell »

Sounds like this an event worth attending -I'll have to try and get my name down for next year (and also persuade my wife that I don't have an obsession).
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Many thanks to you all for the kind words. :-) COLIN 2009 will absolutely be going ahead- and as it's the fifth COLIN, I might do something a little special for it. Not sure what though- it'd be hard to top Stewart Holden's generous gift of a free calendar for every participant! :)

I might also come up next year with a workspace designed for someone who is actually my height and build, rather than that of a 4-year old.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Can only echo the things been said already. Such a friendly atmosphere, it makes me want to hug everyone. Looking forward to Bristol and COLIN '09 where hopefully I can get to talk some more to the people I missed out on talking to this time (Christine, Howard are the ones that spring to mind) and build on a performance that exceeded my own expectations. Woo!

Thanks Ben, Sue, Ben's mum, well done to Evil Matt and Miss Dinos for stepping in.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

You're very modest, Jono. You're a new player on the block - your #3 rating is well deserved - an extremely solid performance all day including defeating Mark Tournoff. I'd also like to thank everyone involved with COLIN as I always enjoy playing Countdown whether it's competitively or at home so having it run so smoothly was a credit to Ben, his mum and all those that helped put it together.
It was good to meet some new faces (Dinos and his girlfriend, Emma to name a couple) and play new people in the flesh. Thanks also go to Howard for his kind offering of transporting myself and Marc (my PGCE maths guest from York who has passed the audition and is awaiting a recording date) to and from Newark station.

Kirk
Damian E
Enthusiast

Post by Damian E »

Hi Folks,

Have just received the 'new baby' card you all kindly signed at the Colin 08 event last week. Am sure Scotland Yard would pay a small fortune to get hold of it, bearing in mind the DNA samples that will be on there and the likelihood that at least two of you are murderers and serial rapists, plus the whole back catalogue of misdemeanours that are still on file from Chris Wills.

Seriously, many thanks - it's greatly appreciated and was very kind.

Cheers
Damian
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Damian E wrote:Hi Folks,

Have just received the 'new baby' card you all kindly signed at the Colin 08 event last week. Am sure Scotland Yard would pay a small fortune to get hold of it, bearing in mind the DNA samples that will be on there and the likelihood that at least two of you are murderers and serial rapists, plus the whole back catalogue of misdemeanours that are still on file from Chris Wills.

Seriously, many thanks - it's greatly appreciated and was very kind.

Cheers
Damian
I have to apologise Damian, as I didn't know there was there a card. Sorry.

Welcome to the forum and Congratulations.

Joseph.
Mark Tournoff
Series 52 Champion

Post by Mark Tournoff »

COLIN was great again! Thanks to Ben for organising it and his Mum Jill for the refreshments. I do think the scores went up this year. I am sure the standard is getting higher and higher. It makes sense because as time goes by we are all likely to know more, rather than less!

Mark T