COLIN stats from years past

Discussion and announcements relating to unofficial Countdown competitions, held online or in real life. Observation, discussion, reflection, and other stuff ending in -ion.
Ben Wilson
Legend

COLIN stats from years past

Post by Ben Wilson »

Hi folks

For the past five years I've kept all the results from all the COLINs and have generated a mini-'statland', similar to the one on apterous but nowhere near as in-depth, and I thought I'd share with you some of the fruits of my (rather simple) mathematical labour.

For starters, the big one- the average amount of points score per player per game at COLIN over the past 5 years is 46.1. There have been 66 different players at COLIN over the years, and 29 of them average above that score. Some big names whose average falls just short include Christine Armstrong, Charlie Reams and Kevin Thurlow.

Only four people have played in all five COLINs (therefore playing 30 games)- Mark Tournoff, Jon O'Neill, Kirk Bevins and Mike Brown. Of these four, Mark holds the record for highest overall points total from COLIN with 1674 points- giving him an average of 55.8 points per game and putting him fourth on the overall leaderboard. 3rd is Jon Corby on 56.5, Junaid is 2nd on 58.3 and unsurprisingly 3-time winner Chris Wills is top with a staggering 61.8 points per game. He also holds the best win/loss record with 21 wins from 24, an 88% win record. 2nd, again, is Junaid on 83%.

It's been interesting to see over the years how COLIN has seemingly got tougher. In the first one, the average winning score was 55 whilst the average losing score was a respectable 37, giving an average spread per game of 18. The gap has steadily widened to the point where in 2009 games were on average being won 59-35, an average spread of 24 points per game. However, the average score per player was down 0.2 points from 2008.

The biggest ever thumping in COLIN history game in 2006 when Stewart Holden pasted Peter Straw 71-6 in the opening round. The highest ever score was 82, scored by Tim Fuller in 2007 and including (if memory serves) two nine-letter words.

The great thing about COLIN is watching how players progress and improve year-by-year. At the first COLIN the lowest score was posted by one Mr. C/S Reams, managing just 17 points against Russell Byers. Last year he had a realistic shot of winning the whole thing. In COLIN 2008 the biggest win was when Kirk hammered Dinos by 57 points. Fast-forward 18 months and Dinos is pipping Kirk on a crucial conundrum to win CoNot. Who's to say that someone from the mid-table in 2009 won't be challenging for the title in 2010? :)
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Re: COLIN stats from years past

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Awesomesauce stats :) Presumably Chris' 88% win record would take some serious effort to beat given the number of talented players present and the fact that only one can emerge victorious and undefeated from each competition, and the next best possible outcome is 83% wins, especially if he were to retire from the scene. Even Kirk the bottler would have to string up 3 or 4 tourny victories in a row to surpass it so I'd say it would take another superstar newcomer like Chris, Andrew or Innis to take this title.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Dinos Sfyris wrote:...so I'd say it would take another superstar newcomer like Chris, Andrew or Innis to take this title.
If only any of them were inclined to enter these tourneys, lol.
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Post by JackHurst »

Ben Wilson wrote:
Dinos Sfyris wrote:...so I'd say it would take another superstar newcomer like Chris, Andrew or Innis to take this title.
I have various Rubiks' cube variations that I could entice Chris with if you want.
Alec Rivers
Devotee

Post by Alec Rivers »

JackHurst wrote:I have various Rubiks' cube variations that I could entice Chris with if you want.
I'm not sure everyone will realise there are two links in there. You might want to separate them. :P
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

JackHurst wrote:
Ben Wilson wrote:
I have various Rubiks' cube variations that I could entice Chris with if you want.
I'll see your cube and raise you... 8-)