CoLei thoughts for 2010

Discussion and announcements relating to unofficial Countdown competitions, held online or in real life. Observation, discussion, reflection, and other stuff ending in -ion.
Jeff Clayton
Enthusiast

CoLei thoughts for 2010

Post by Jeff Clayton »

Hi all

I've been toying with what to do for CoLei in 2010, but before I show my cards, have you people got any preferences or changes that you'd like to see?

Jeff
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Re: CoLei thoughts for 2010

Post by James Robinson »

A nice date, so I can attend this time :!: :lol:
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

Maybe we could play textcode :D
16/10/2007 - Episode 4460
Dinos Sfyris 76 - 78 Dorian Lidell
Proof that even idiots can get well and truly mainwheeled.
Alec Rivers
Devotee

Post by Alec Rivers »

Kai Laddiman wrote:Maybe we could play textcode :D
Yay, like the last time!

Oh, no, wait ..
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

If it were up to me, I would:-

Drop the "qualifying" round, and use that time to have another normal round. The one-of-each practise rounds are enough.

Adjust the pairings so that people play someone on (approximately) the same number of wins as themselves. There are programs out there that can do this for you.

Use software an English letter distribution (I can help with this) and an English solver, so you can do adjudications electronically, which is faster.
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Post by Sue Sanders »

James Robinson wrote:A nice date, so I can attend this time :!: :lol:
Interesting definition of 'a nice date'. ;)
'This one goes up to eleven'
Fool's top.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

play a fun round, using a phone book or an Atlas index, in place of a normal dictionary.
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Charlie Reams wrote:If it were up to me, I would:-

Drop the "qualifying" round, and use that time to have another normal round. The one-of-each practise rounds are enough.

Adjust the pairings so that people play someone on (approximately) the same number of wins as themselves. There are programs out there that can do this for you.

Use software an English letter distribution (I can help with this) and an English solver, so you can do adjudications electronically, which is faster.
^This. Also the duel puzzles were fun as well, especially the ones where you had to find 2 words eg LANCASTER and ANCESTRAL, AER LINGUS and GRANULES etc
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Similar to what Charlie said - if we could start playing proper games much earlier without the need to qualifying rounds/other bits and bobs then timings would be a bit easier. Sometimes I wonder if getting up at 6am is a good idea when we get to start round 1 at like 1pm or something.
Ian Dent
Devotee

Post by Ian Dent »

I'd like to come to CoLei. If only to satisfy DC.

No suggestions.
Darren Carter
What a lot of bling

Post by Darren Carter »

Ian Dent wrote:I'd like to come to CoLei. If only to satisfy DC.
:shock:
Paul Howe
Kiloposter

Post by Paul Howe »

Since I couldn't attend this year it's a bit ungentlemanly of me to comment, but I'd expect more than 4 games after giving up my Saturday to play Countdown / travel costs etc.

I'm guessing the qualifying rounds were the reason for this, and I'm not exactly sure what form these took, but I think a straight 6 (or more!) game tournament would be better.
Karen Pearson
Devotee

Post by Karen Pearson »

I agree about dropping the qualification round. If we want to have seedings, they can be based on apterous ratings or simply knowledge of the player's skill level (they are never going to be perfect anyway).

But overall, it is an enjoyable day and I'll certainly be there if I can make the date.
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Post by JackHurst »

Karen Pearson wrote:If we want to have seedings, they can be based on apterous ratings or simply knowledge of the player's skill level (they are never going to be perfect anyway).
I think the tournament Idea Charlie suggested does away with the needs for seedings, as it sorts out the best and worst players round by round.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

JackHurst wrote:
Karen Pearson wrote:If we want to have seedings, they can be based on apterous ratings or simply knowledge of the player's skill level (they are never going to be perfect anyway).
I think the tournament Idea Charlie suggested does away with the needs for seedings, as it sorts out the best and worst players round by round.
The trick is working it out for the first round, especially important at a tourney like COLIN where you don't really want to wind up with, say, a Corby/Howe/Bevins table in round 1. Fortunately that won't be the case.

In other news, having had a pint with Jeff on Sunday afternoon, I can safely say that CoLei in 2010 will be particularly exciting, especially if a particular idea of his comes to fruition. :)
Alec Rivers
Devotee

Post by Alec Rivers »

Ben Wilson wrote:I can safely say that CoLei in 2010 will be particularly exciting, especially if a particular idea of his comes to fruition. :)
Strip Countdown? :shock:
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Post by JackHurst »

Will the next Colei also be around the October time of year?
Jeff Clayton
Enthusiast

Post by Jeff Clayton »

Re textcode, Kai, are you old enough to remember a series called Britain's Brainiest as hosted by Carol Vorderperson.......?

I take it everyone is happy with the venue?

A good range of feedback from everyone - thanks very much. If you want another October-Countdown-fest then I'm happy to do that and open it up to everyone again, but with just the nine-round games, some English language software (happy to take you up on your offer, Charlie - we can discuss offline) and generally more clarity/efficiency in the proceedings.

But I'd actually like to run two tournaments and for sometime around April, I'd like to run a "masters" tournament strictly for sixteen contenders: a qualifier, four 15-round games and an exhibition final between the #1 and #2 ranks proper. And if you fancy some pomp and ceremony, then what about a formal dinner / formal attire and we can make a real spectacle of a Saturday evening?

Food for thought....??

Jeff
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Jeff Clayton wrote:Re textcode, Kai, are you old enough to remember a series called Britain's Brainiest as hosted by Carol Vorderperson.......?

I take it everyone is happy with the venue?

A good range of feedback from everyone - thanks very much. If you want another October-Countdown-fest then I'm happy to do that and open it up to everyone again, but with just the nine-round games, some English language software (happy to take you up on your offer, Charlie - we can discuss offline) and generally more clarity/efficiency in the proceedings.

But I'd actually like to run two tournaments and for sometime around April, I'd like to run a "masters" tournament strictly for sixteen contenders: a qualifier, four 15-round games and an exhibition final between the #1 and #2 ranks proper. And if you fancy some pomp and ceremony, then what about a formal dinner / formal attire and we can make a real spectacle of a Saturday evening?

Food for thought....??

Jeff
That all sounds ace...although I'm not too sure about the formal attire although Countdown clubbing does sound ace.
Matt Bayfield
Devotee

Post by Matt Bayfield »

Jeff: Carol "Vorderperson"? Is that general parlance round here or a 1990s Lee & Herring reference (I think it was them, with their Tim Henperson sketch, etc.)? If it's the latter, then very nice...

As for COLEI2010, Leicester is only an hour away from me, so I shall probably turn up regardless of the format.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Kirk Bevins wrote: That all sounds ace...although I'm not too sure about the formal attire although Countdown clubbing does sound ace.
Agree, except the other way round.
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Jeff Clayton wrote:...what about a formal dinner / formal attire and we can make a real spectacle of a Saturday evening?

Food for thought....??
Excellent. May I suggest the name Count Down With Me? :)
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Kirk Bevins wrote: That all sounds ace...although I'm not too sure about the formal attire although Countdown clubbing does sound ace.
Agree, except the other way round.
Disagree, but also the other way round.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Man - you youngsters should love clubbing. Losers.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Kirk Bevins wrote:Man - you youngsters should love clubbing. Losers.
I'm pretty sure most "youngsters" actually think clubbing is a fairly boring chore and only go because 1) everyone else is going 2) they can get off with drunk girls. Neither of these are much motivation for me personally.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Charlie Reams wrote: I'm pretty sure most "youngsters" actually think clubbing is a fairly boring chore and only go because 1) everyone else is going 2) they can get off with drunk girls. Neither of these are much motivation for me personally.
I love clubbing because 1) I love dancing to great music, and when I saw great I mean the shit from the 80s and 90s like Vengaboys and Steps and I'm a Barbie Girl and other homosexual songs and 2) girls think I'm gay and don't feel threatened to come speak to me, find out I'm not gay and I end up getting off with them. In theory anyway.
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Kirk Bevins wrote:Man - you youngsters should love clubbing. Losers.
I'm pretty sure most "youngsters" actually think clubbing is a fairly boring chore and only go because 1) everyone else is going 2) they can get off with drunk girls. Neither of these are much motivation for me personally.
This^ zomg this. I'm having a function room booked for my 21st in January for a get together with family and friends and I'm sure a lot of people will probably want to go to a club after for the reasons you said above, and the decision will fall on me to either keep the party going somewhere load and kerrazy, or head home about 1amish when all my relatives want to go to bed. tbh I'd much rather go home as well and enjoy the rest of the night in comfort at home with Emma, but will probably feel obliged to head to a rave instead.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

I've often liked the idea of geek 'clubs', where at 1am on a Friday night you can go to a room with a bar Internet, loads of board games, comfy chairs and (most importantly) no loud music. You could even have some sort of test to get in to keep the riff raff out.
Jeff Clayton
Enthusiast

Post by Jeff Clayton »

I'm with you on that one, Michael!!
Matt Bayfield
Devotee

Post by Matt Bayfield »

Dinos Sfyris wrote:...head home about 1amish...
This has conjured the wonderful image of Dinos being accompanied home from a glitzy club by a Mennonite gentleman berating him for his hedonistic lifestyle...
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Matt Bayfield wrote:
Dinos Sfyris wrote:...head home about 1amish...
This has conjured the wonderful image of Dinos being accompanied home from a glitzy club by a Mennonite gentleman berating him for his hedonistic lifestyle...
Haha, amazing.
Michael Wallace wrote:I've often liked the idea of geek 'clubs', where at 1am on a Friday night you can go to a room with a bar Internet, loads of board games, comfy chairs and (most importantly) no loud music. You could even have some sort of test to get in to keep the riff raff out.
Where do I sign up?
Jeff Clayton
Enthusiast

Post by Jeff Clayton »

*Bump*

Any further thoughts, anyone?

And what's your availability like in April? Asides revising for exams or washing your hair?

Jeff
Stewart Gordon
Enthusiast

Post by Stewart Gordon »

Jeff Clayton wrote:*Bump*
Only really works once you've got everyone in the conversation in the first place. I for one have only just discovered this thread.
Jeff Clayton wrote:Any further thoughts, anyone?
Not really, but I agree with most of the sensible stuff that's been said so far.
Jeff Clayton wrote:And what's your availability like in April? Asides revising for exams or washing your hair?
Availability would be OK as long as it isn't too close to Easter, but from my point of view it might be a bit early for other reasons. That said, May would probably be even less easy....
Jeff Clayton
Enthusiast

Post by Jeff Clayton »

Hands up who's got exams this summer?
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Hmm, Leicester seems to be about as close to me as these things come, but April's about my busiest month of the year. Ho hum.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

*Hand up*
16/10/2007 - Episode 4460
Dinos Sfyris 76 - 78 Dorian Lidell
Proof that even idiots can get well and truly mainwheeled.