Co-lympics

Discussion and announcements relating to unofficial Countdown competitions, held online or in real life. Observation, discussion, reflection, and other stuff ending in -ion.
Richard Brittain
Series Champ

Co-lympics

Post by Richard Brittain »

Date: 5th November, 2009, at 4.30pm

Provisional location: The QE2 athletics track in Enfield, north London

Provisional Startlists

100m
Charlie Reams
Phil Makepeace
Jon O'Neill
Oliver Garner
Junaid Mubeen
Jeffrey Burgin
'CF'
Ian Dent

400m
Charlie Reams
Richard Brittain
Phil Makepeace
Jon O'Neill
Oliver Garner
Jeffrey Burgin
'CF'
Ian Dent

The Golden Mile (or 1600m)
Charlie Reams
Richard Brittain
Phil Makepeace
Jon O'Neill
Oliver Garner
Jeffrey Burgin
'CF'

Charlie Reams
Richard Brittain
Junaid Mubeen
Jeffrey Burgin
'CF'
Ian Dent

Hurling
Ben Wilson
Richard Brittain
Charlie Reams
Jeffrey Burgin
'CF'
Michael Wallace
Phil Makepeace
Jon O'Neill

Well, this is an idea Jono and I contemplated some while ago, and I was just reading Junaid Mubeen's running blog, which inspired me to consecrate a more tangible ideomatic conjuration. And, this is a serious suggestion. I know a few of the recent Co events put forth here have been jokes, and I wasn't really serious about CoBruss; I was quite drunk when I came up with that idea.

But here's the idea: essentially, an event based around running, involving a series of different races, much like a typical athletics meet, but smaller scale and involving Countdown people, on a proper athletic track. There is a slightly delapidated old athletics stadium/track, the QE2, in Enfield, north London. Both myself and Dan Van have used it before, though I haven't been there for a year since living abroad, so I don't know the current state of it. But anyway, we'll find a track to use; there are plenty around.

I reckon that quite a few people here are into running, casually or otherwise. I myself used to be into it, but never in a hardcore way, and I'm just getting back into it. I think this event could go ahead if we got at least 10 people, and we'd decide the number of different events based on the number of people. As a provisional schedule, we could have:

A 100 metres race
A 400 metres race
A 1500 metres race
A 10k race

People could run in multiple events if they want to.

It would basically give people who aren't really that good at running a chance to win a competition. For example, I'd be hoping to run about 59 seconds in the 400 metres, which would be a rubbish time in national competitions, but which is a lot better than what the average person would do.

And, winning a title here would hold the same weight and affect ratings in the same way as winning any other Co event, even though no Countdown is played here. Or, we could all play Countdown afterwords so that it is more like a proper event.

Here are the people I would particularly like/expect to see at the event, though obviously everyone is welcome and encouraged to come:

Jono
Charles Reams
Junaid Mubeen
Dan Vanniashingham
David O'Donnell?
Maybe Corby
Mikey Lear?
Larsen

Oh, and to add; I was thinking of doing it around November time.
Last edited by Richard Brittain on Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:10 am, edited 10 times in total.
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Re: Co-lympics

Post by Kai Laddiman »

Hi, I'm in, on the 14th perhaps? (My birthday)

Richard Brittain wrote:I wasn't really serious about CoBruss
:(
16/10/2007 - Episode 4460
Dinos Sfyris 76 - 78 Dorian Lidell
Proof that even idiots can get well and truly mainwheeled.
Richard Brittain
Series Champ

Sure, if you're happy to spend your birthday running races with an assortment of Countdown weirdos, rather than having a Quasar party. We'll decide the date based on when everyone who is interested is available, though.

Also, I hope Derek Hazell can make it - I know he was interested in CoBruss, and is generally a fan of mine. Are you in, Derek?
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

Richard Brittain wrote:Also, I hope Derek Hazell can make it - I know he was interested in CoBruss, and is generally a fan of mine. Are you in, Derek?
Haha, well "fan" is a bit strong . . . darling ;)

I'm not very fit though, but maybe the run would do me good.
You up for helping with my "Gevins Bevins" event too?

Ooh I've never called another bloke darling before - it's quite liberating.
Living life in a gyratory circus kind of way.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

Myself + CF would probably come along to watch, even if we didn't take part (since it's so close).
Oliver Garner
Series 62 Champion

Post by Oliver Garner »

Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Awesome - do they give you chips if you win?
Oliver Garner
Series 62 Champion

Post by Oliver Garner »

Michael Wallace wrote:
Awesome - do they give you chips if you win?
Unfortunately no.
Richard Brittain
Series Champ

Those are some impressive 1500m and 800m times you have there, Oliver. Plus, you're in Middlesex. But do you want to compete? All you've done is post us a link. You're welcome to compete. I recommend you compete in the 1500 and leave the 400 for me, because I'm worried you will beat me.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Oliver Garner wrote:
Michael Wallace wrote:Awesome - do they give you chips if you win?
Unfortunately no.
Shame - it'd seem a smart way to balance the field, too.
Oliver Garner
Series 62 Champion

Post by Oliver Garner »

Richard Brittain wrote:Those are some impressive 1500m and 800m times you have there, Oliver. Plus, you're in Middlesex. But do you want to compete? All you've done is post us a link. You're welcome to compete. I recommend you compete in the 1500 and leave the 400 for me, because I'm worried you will beat me.
No, I compete in Surrey mainly but go to a Middlesex club. I wouldn't mind competing but November might not be brilliant for me.
Oliver Garner
Series 62 Champion

Post by Oliver Garner »

Richard Brittain wrote:Or, we could all play Countdown afterwords so that it is more like a proper event.
Or have spectators holding up in line of letters and time bonuses for the longest words. Plus, when you're tired, it would be harder to concentrate on words.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

This won't happen. Is this being taken as a serious suggestion? Why the fuck would anyone think "Let's get Countdowners to do running"?
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Gavin Chipper wrote:This won't happen. Is this being taken as a serious suggestion? Why the fuck would anyone think "Let's get Countdowners to do running"?
Well, I'm certainly in, and if it ends up just being me and RB running round a track all night, so much the better.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Jon O'Neill wrote:Well, I'm certainly in, and if it ends up just being me and RB running round a track all night, so much the better.
With me watching?
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Michael Wallace wrote:
Jon O'Neill wrote:Well, I'm certainly in, and if it ends up just being me and RB running round a track all night, so much the better.
With me watching?
This sounds hot.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

I'd totally do this, and it'll be fun even if (when) I come last in every event.
Richard Brittain
Series Champ

Sweet, I'm glad there are some positive responses. This is definitely happening now, unless the world ends before November. Even if everyone else pulls out, I'll still run and post the results here. Heaven and Earth may pass away, but the Co-lympics will not.
Jeffrey Burgin
Acolyte

Post by Jeffrey Burgin »

Yeah, I'd definitely be up for it. Give me a date and a time and I should be there.
Richard Brittain
Series Champ

Great. This gives me something to train for. I'm taking this very seriously, and intend to take gold in the 400m.

Jeff, what events do you want to compete in?

Charlie has indicated he will compete in every discipline, which will be great for the event. Jono, how about you?

I suppose I will also compete in the 1500m and 10k to fill out the numbers, though I will probably perform badly in them because I intend to put everything I have into the 400m. The order of the events will also be from shortest to longest distances, so I won't compete in the 100m in case that drains me before the 400. We'll probably need at least 4 competitors in each event. If lots more people sign up, I'll add more events.
Last edited by Richard Brittain on Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:00 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

Me for everything (if I turn up).
Richard Brittain
Series Champ

Ah, great.
Oliver Garner
Series 62 Champion

Post by Oliver Garner »

Mile please. Is there entry on the day?
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

I don't think I can run 100m at full pelt to be honest. But I'll sign up for the top 3 and give the 10k a miss.

Cheers.
Richard Brittain
Series Champ

Oliver Garner wrote:Mile please. Is there entry on the day?
You can change your mind and enter whatever events you want on the day, yes, but I just want to get up a provisional schedule and startlists. You can also compete in the 400m too, by the way, if you want to; I was only joking, though I am slightly concerned you will beat me. Jono could be a darkhorse for that one too.
Last edited by Richard Brittain on Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oliver Garner
Series 62 Champion

Post by Oliver Garner »

I'll go in for all the top 3 on the list. Not enticed to the prospect of running 25 times round a track.
Richard Brittain
Series Champ

I think the 10k will be an interesting and gruelling race. Junaid will definitely be the favourite for that one, if he turns up.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Awesome, I don't think I've run 10k ever.
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Post by Sue Sanders »

Michael Wallace wrote:Myself + CF would probably come along to watch, even if we didn't take part (since it's so close).
I'll make the sandwiches!
'This one goes up to eleven'
Fool's top.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

What day of the week are we looking at? My body is usually mashed from football from Monday to Wednesday, so a Thursday is ideal for me.

That said, I will compete on any day.
Last edited by Jon O'Neill on Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

Sue Sanders wrote:I'll make the sandwiches!
If Matthew Green and Ian Volante turn up, you might be the sandwich!
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Now that I've mocked this, maybe I'll get into training and turn up for this, as long as I don't have to declare my entry ages in advance.
Richard Brittain
Series Champ

Jono: I was actually thinking a week day, because it would be easier to sneak onto a track than on a weekend, when events might be on. But, I expect a lot of people would prefer a weekend, because it's the weekend, but maybe not. So, let's suggest for now: Some Thursday in November. Is there anyone who definitely can't do this, or can only do certain Thursdays in November?
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Richard Brittain wrote:Jono: I was actually thinking a week day, because it would be easier to sneak onto a track than on a weekend, when events might be on. But, I expect a lot of people would prefer a weekend, because it's the weekend, but maybe not. So, let's suggest for now: Some Thursday in November. Is there anyone who definitely can't do this, or can only do certain Thursdays in November?
There might be a problem with lighting, particularly during the 10k. I suggest a 6pm start?
Richard Brittain
Series Champ

Good call. 6pm, on some Thursday in November. Let's go for the 5th, because that's earliest. So, here's the provisional date/time and location:

6 pm on Thursday, 5th November at the QE2 stadium in Enfield, north London.

It's a pretty good track there, but sometimes the gate is locked, which would mean having to climb over, which could be slightly tricky for some. I'll try and contact them and book it. If it turns out to be impossible, the best place to do it might be a university athletics track, such as Cambridge's. But I'm pretty confident about the QE2.
Richard Brittain
Series Champ

Junaid Mubeen
Series 59 Champion

Post by Junaid Mubeen »

I've not read through these posts thoroughly enough to know if it's just a joke, but in any case please sign me up to the 100m (even though I can't sprint to save my life) and 10k.
Richard Brittain
Series Champ

Excellent. I think Junaid has chosen wisely in only going for the 2 events; he will be in good shape for that final 10k. I'm seriously considering doing some ultra hardcore training from now until November so that I can compete in the 10k too, but I probably won't; I'll probably just focus my training on the 400m.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Right, we're in, CF says he'll try everything, whereas I can't really get away with running more than I have to (because of my eyes, as well as being incredibly unhealthy).
Ian Dent
Devotee

Post by Ian Dent »

I will definitely do this.

Would like to do the 100m, 400m and 10k.
Matt Bayfield
Devotee

Post by Matt Bayfield »

I'd be tempted by a 10k, as I've never run one on a track. Have got a decent-ish PB for the same distance on the roads so would hope to be competitive. However, if there's not going to be much competition (i.e. if everyone else is going to be either much faster, or much slower), then I'm less interested.

I'm not climbing over a tall or spiky gate though. I had a moderately unpleasant accident doing something similar many years ago, and have learned my lesson.
Last edited by Matt Bayfield on Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

Matt Bayfield wrote:I'm not climbing over a tall or spiky gate though. I had a moderately unpleasant accident doing something similar many years ago, and have learned my lesson.
When Matt was young, he had no sense
He caught his balls on a barbed wire fence
And now he talks [squeak]a bit like this[/squeak]
And everybody takes the piss
Matt Bayfield
Devotee

Post by Matt Bayfield »

Nice! And not entirely inaccurate, Derek. Although unfortunately the ol' voice is back to normal, thus ending my lucrative career in a Bee Gees tribute act...
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

Matt Bayfield wrote:Nice! And not entirely inaccurate, Derek. Although unfortunately the ol' voice is back to normal, thus ending my lucrative career in a Bee Gees tribute act...
Sorry Matt, I was in the air cadets for a short while as a boy, and I learnt that rhyme there. It just seemed so appropriate right then, but at least I didn't make it up this time.
Jeffrey Burgin
Acolyte

Post by Jeffrey Burgin »

Sod it, put me in for everything as well. Depending on how I feel I might back out of the 10k but I imagine my competitiveness will put paid to that and I'll hop around if I have to.

I'm off to my local track tomorrow to get me some times for these bad boys.
Matt Bayfield
Devotee

Post by Matt Bayfield »

No apology necessary Derek - hadn't heard that one before so was quite amused!

And an aside to all cross-country route organisers who take sadistic pleasure in routing their course over a spiky gate after 5 miles of slog through churned-up saturated clay. There is no fun at all in attempting to complete the final mile of a cross-country race having nearly de-knackered oneself (or given oneself a "nasty gash", ho ho)...
Richard Brittain
Series Champ

Michael: Who is this mysterious 'CF'?

Matt: You're running 6 minute miles there, over 6 miles. I very much doubt there's anyone else here who is going to be running less than 7-minute miles over the 10K. I know Junaid has been training for a while, but I doubt he is at the level of your PB yet. If you're still that good, you probably won't have much competition, unless someone else really good comes along. So, it's entirely up to you.

There won't be any tall or spiky gates to climb over.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Richard Brittain wrote:Michael: Who is this mysterious 'CF'?
My other half. He has a big nose but isn't a jew.
Richard Brittain
Series Champ

Ah, I see. So he's a bit like Hitler? Or that guy out of the band Travis.
Richard Brittain
Series Champ

Also, notice that in some events we now have 8 people. We can't really have more than 8 per race, so I can start splitting up the events into multiple races. We could even do semi-finals and then a final, in the 100m and 400m.

Though I'm expecting at least 1 or 2 people will pull out or not turn up on the day, it looks like we'll have more than enough people already, and hopefully many more will sign up. I know a couple of people in Enfield who would be interested in doing this, but I'm not sure if I should invite them, because they have nothing to do in Countdown.

Also, does anyone have any suggestions or particular desires for a new event to be added? For example, a 200m or a 5k. Or, if anyone wants to provide a javelin or shot-put ball, we could do those though I'd rather not because they probably require special health and safety regulation stuff. There is also a very dodgy sandpit there, for the long jump, so we can assess whether that looks feasible on the day. Though I'm happy to keep it as just running.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

I'll happy hurl any and all balls supplied to me down a field. :)
Ian Dent
Devotee

Post by Ian Dent »

200m would be a good addition.
Richard Brittain
Series Champ

Actually, I suppose ball throwing could work. Discus, javelin and hammer throw would all be a bit dangerous for a group of untrained novices, but I can't see any problem with just lobbing balls down a field. So, I've added 'Hurling' as an event. We will need a ball, preferably a heavy ball, and the objective will be to throw the ball as far as possible, using any method of throw.

I might add the 200m if we get a few more people signing up for the sprints.

Also, could some of the people signing up, such as Ian Dent and Jeffrey Burgin, give me a rough idea of how good you are, and also how old you are; because I know very little about a lot of the people on this forum.
Ian Dent
Devotee

Post by Ian Dent »

Age - 23
100m - 13.23 seconds
400m - 59.55 seconds
10k - 45 minutes or so
Richard Brittain
Series Champ

I have updated the original post, displaying the provisional date, time, line-ups, and the Co-lympics graphic/logo.

Over the next few days, I will be quite busy and not online much, so I might not update the lists so quickly, but we have a long time before the competition starts.

Ian - thanks, those are some competitive times. We will have some real battles.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

I can probably safely do throwing, if there's a throwing event. CF is 23, and doesn't have any times for anything. I'm not even sure he'd survive 10k.
Richard Brittain
Series Champ

The 10K isn't to be taken lightly. It's a very long way to run for someone who never does any running. But everyone should be able to complete it, even if they're virtually walking. It shouldn't take anyone more than an hour and a half.

I was just thinking about a points system, so that we can have an 'overall winner' too, and I came up with this:

In each event,

20 points for Gold
12 points for Silver
8 points for Bronze
5 points for 4th place
4 points for 5th place
3 points for 6th place
2 points for 7th place
1 point for 8th place.
And no points for anything thereafter (some events will probably have more than 8 competitors)

It is clearly weighted towards people winning events, and attaining medal positions, but people can still rack up points for competing in multiple events. So, one must consider whether to compete in every event and feel the burdens thereof, or to focus on maximal performances in just 1 or 2 events and take medals. These are decisions every Co-athlete must face.
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

I absolutely can't do it on weekdays.
Phil Makepeace
Acolyte

Post by Phil Makepeace »

Well, stick me down for everything. Except the 10k, I'm sick of long-distance ever since my half-marathon last year.

Oliver, as Richard has already said, those are decent times. I was running around that at your age but I broke a leg and ruptured knee ligaments twice and then lost interest. DON'T DO THESE THINGS. I reckon if I bothered to train, I could probably stick in a 55 for the 400 and a 4.30 for the mile. But on the same night, Christ knows. Incidentally, my PB for the 100 is around 11 seconds.
Ian Dent
Devotee

Post by Ian Dent »

I ran the Windsor Half last year with no training Phil. It nearly killed me, the hottest day of the year as well.