CoBruss

Discussion and announcements relating to unofficial Countdown competitions, held online or in real life. Observation, discussion, reflection, and other stuff ending in -ion.
Richard Brittain
Series Champ

CoBruss

Post by Richard Brittain »

Hi. I'm organising a new Countdown event here in Brussels. I haven't got a definite date yet, but it will probably be some time in September or October. Here's a brief outline of what will happen:

There won't actually be any Countdown played. The evening will mostly be based around sampling Belgian beers and listening to classical music. Here's a rough schedule of the evening:

6.30 pm: Drink some mulchy cherry beer.
7 pm: Listen to Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture and discuss it.
7.30 pm: Drink some Charles Quint, a strong Belgian beer.
8 pm: Listen to Mendelssohn's Fingal's Cave, followed by his violin concerto.
9 pm: Drink some Kwak, another strong Belgian beer.
9.30 Listen to Beethoven's 9th symphony, and discuss it.
10.30 pm Head to the woodlands east of here and camp out there, and possibly try to kill each other.

Most of it will take place in the basement of my parents' house. The air quality is pretty poor down there, but I have a stereo system there. I can't put you up in this house because my dog has a tendancy to maul visitors. But there is a vast woodlands near here, I'm in the suburbs of Brussels, and hopefully if it's September it won't be too cold to camp.

I'll try and arrange it based on the dates people are available, but I'm not expecting many comers.

Entry is free.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Re: CoBruss

Post by Charlie Reams »

No Leffe, no Reams.
Richard Brittain
Series Champ

Alright, I was thinking we were a bit heavy on the classical music, so I can replace Mendelssohn's violin concerto by a Leffe drinking session. It's not my favourite Belgian beer, but I can come to a compromise. Actually we could just go out to the Grand Place and drink beer there.
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

I'm not sure about the cherry beer, but I do like the idea of killing each other, so I'm in.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

I will actually be passing through Belgium in a few weeks' time, could it perhaps be arranged for then?
Richard Brittain
Series Champ

Yes. Hopefully that will coincide with Jono's holidaying in Europe. I presume you are getting the Eurostar to Brussels. Where are you going?

Also, I just realised that this topic should be in the 'Countdown - Events' subforum. If you could kindly move it.
Richard Brittain
Series Champ

I'm not sure if CoBruss will be going ahead, because I'm going to be in Jerusalem for a while.
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Post by Sue Sanders »

Richard Brittain wrote:I'm not sure if CoBruss will be going ahead, because I'm going to be in Jerusalem for a while.

Damn - like Ben, I was going to come along, unannounced, for the killings.
'This one goes up to eleven'
Fool's top.
Jeff Clayton
Enthusiast

Post by Jeff Clayton »

I like drinking beer. Strawberry beer is nice. It helps me to disengage.
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

I'm a little disappointed about the possible cancellation, as I have fished out my special Kwak glass in its own wooden holder especially in anticipation.
Living life in a gyratory circus kind of way.
Richard Brittain
Series Champ

Wow, I'm quite impressed you have one of those. If you want, come out to Amman or Jerusalem a couple of weeks from now. Mikey Lear's going to be there.
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

Wow, thanks for the invite! I'll need to bring plenty of tissues as well as the special glass - only because if Mikey's there I'm sure to be weeping with laughter . . .
Living life in a gyratory circus kind of way.
Richard Brittain
Series Champ

Derek, when I invited you, I wasn't seriously considering that you would actually want to book a flight out to the Middle East and come and meet up, so I hope you're not too offended that I never gave you any further details. I was out there for 2 weeks, and I'm back in Belgium now. Here's a picture of my time out there, from Mikey's blog.

Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Nice thumb stick RB. My mum's boyfriend makes those, I found holding one to be unexpectedly enjoyable.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Matt Morrison wrote:My mum's boyfriend
Hmmm. "Pyrographic art" - is that what used to be called pokerwork by any chance?
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Phil Reynolds wrote:
Matt Morrison wrote:My mum's boyfriend
Hmmm. "Pyrographic art" - is that what used to be called pokerwork by any chance?
This suggests you're right. It's surprisingly hard. I had a go at the Sturminster Newton Cheese Festival last weekend.
Richard Brittain
Series Champ

Matt Morrison wrote:Nice thumb stick RB. My mum's boyfriend makes those, I found holding one to be unexpectedly enjoyable.
Interesting site. And, it's actually Mikey Lear's stick. He's been walking from Brussels to Jerusalem, but he was rejected from Israel at the border, because jews don't like him. So I took up his pilgrim's staff and completed the walk for him. It was a good stave; I hadn't realised how useful thumb forks are either until then. Incidentally, I lost the stick somewhere in Jerusalem, but thankfully Mikey wasn't too upset about it.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Matt Morrison wrote:
Phil Reynolds wrote:"Pyrographic art" - is that what used to be called pokerwork by any chance?
This suggests you're right. It's surprisingly hard. I had a go at the Sturminster Newton Cheese Festival last weekend.
That's a pretty ambitious subject for your first piece of artwork in any medium, so I'm not surprised you found it hard. Why not have a go at something a bit simpler to begin with, like a smiley face, and work up to the more complicated stuff gradually?
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Phil Reynolds wrote:
Matt Morrison wrote:
Phil Reynolds wrote:"Pyrographic art" - is that what used to be called pokerwork by any chance?
That's a pretty ambitious subject for your first piece of artwork in any medium, so I'm not surprised you found it hard. Why not have a go at something a bit simpler to begin with, like a smiley face, and work up to the more complicated stuff gradually?
He's always preferred landscapes. One of those autistic types, you know.