CoBris 2009

Discussion and announcements relating to unofficial Countdown competitions, held online or in real life. Observation, discussion, reflection, and other stuff ending in -ion.
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

CoBris 2009

Post by Kai Laddiman »

Does anybody have any information about it this year? I am incredibly keen to go having missed CoLin, but I don't know the date. Can I have some URGENT help please? :)
16/10/2007 - Episode 4460
Dinos Sfyris 76 - 78 Dorian Lidell
Proof that even idiots can get well and truly mainwheeled.
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Re: CoBris 2009

Post by Howard Somerset »

I understand that there's also going to be another CoNot this year, the date of which will probably depend upon when this year's CoBris occurs.
Hannah O
Acolyte

Post by Hannah O »

Ah! I've enquired about the Bristol Countdown Society but have no reply, so this is the next best thing! Do we have any information at all? I need something to aim towards in the near future!
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Kai Laddiman wrote:Does anybody have any information about it this year? I am incredibly keen to go having missed CoLin, but I don't know the date. Can I have some URGENT help please? :)
COBRIS 2006 and 2007 were both held on the first Saturday of July, so if there is one this year, presumably it would be on Saturday 4th July.

I was responsible last year for there not being a COBRIS, because I was trying to set up an event in Liverpool, but failed to get anything ready on time.
Jeff Clayton
Enthusiast

Post by Jeff Clayton »

Let the scapegoating... continue!!

Does it matter that two tournaments might come up in close proximity?

Jeff
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Jeff Clayton wrote:Let the scapegoating... continue!!

Does it matter that two tournaments might come up in close proximity?

Jeff
You of all people should understand how much of a knock it could have on attendance figures.
Jeff Clayton
Enthusiast

Post by Jeff Clayton »

It was intended as an open floor question since I would like to organise another tournament this year. But for personal reasons, I don't know where or when this might be at the moment.

I am perfectly aware, Ben, but undeterred.

But if two tournaments should come up close together, would people aim for one or both (or neither)?

Jeff
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Speaking of, I'll have quite a lot of time over the Easter Holidays at Uni, so a Co-event would be really good. I can't really be arsed paying for a trip to France now that I live in my own, and I've sort of "retired" from English language Scrabble twice now, I'd have to be insane to take it up again. Which I'm not, I might add.
If you cut a gandiseeg in half, do you get two gandiseegs or two halves of a gandiseeg?
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Martin Gardner wrote:Speaking of, I'll have quite a lot of time over the Easter Holidays at Uni, so a Co-event would be really good. I can't really be arsed paying for a trip to France now that I live in my own, and I've sort of "retired" from English language Scrabble twice now, I'd have to be insane to take it up again. Which I'm not, I might add.
Why would you have to be insane to take up English language scrabble - surely the opposite is true?
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Kirk Bevins wrote:
Martin Gardner wrote:Speaking of, I'll have quite a lot of time over the Easter Holidays at Uni, so a Co-event would be really good. I can't really be arsed paying for a trip to France now that I live in my own, and I've sort of "retired" from English language Scrabble twice now, I'd have to be insane to take it up again. Which I'm not, I might add.
Why would you have to be insane to take up English language scrabble - surely the opposite is true?
Well, I did loads of practice on the ISC and in 2005 I won division C (or D?) of my very first tournament. I then got pissed off with me, for the same reasons Jono will tell you. Last year I came back to the ABSP and did a tournament with Christine at my side (she's French so she can't play in English), which is how Ben W met her. I then went and did a big Scrabble tournament in France, then stayed in France for another three weeks after that. I've never since made a conscious decision not to play in English, I've just "stopped" like that. Plus I've just qualified for the French World Scrabble Championship (not that I'm good, it's just the level of competition in the UK isn't that good).
If you cut a gandiseeg in half, do you get two gandiseegs or two halves of a gandiseeg?
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Oddly enough, the French World Scrabble Championship is the most relaxed, fun tournament I've ever done. When I walked into Peterborough in 2008, I said hello to a table of about 5 people, and not one person said hello to me. Now ask yourselves why I only do Scrabble tournaments in French now?
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Martin Gardner wrote:Oddly enough, the French World Scrabble Championship is the most relaxed, fun tournament I've ever done. When I walked into Peterborough in 2008, I said hello to a table of about 5 people, and not one person said hello to me. Now ask yourselves why I only do Scrabble tournaments in French now?
That might tell you more about Peterborough...
But yeah, Countdown tournaments are like a million times friendlier than Scrabble tournaments.
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Martin Gardner wrote:Oddly enough, the French World Scrabble Championship is the most relaxed, fun tournament I've ever done. When I walked into Peterborough in 2008, I said hello to a table of about 5 people, and not one person said hello to me. Now ask yourselves why I only do Scrabble tournaments in French now?
That might tell you more about Peterborough...
But yeah, Countdown tournaments are like a million times friendlier than Scrabble tournaments.
Getting back on topic, when is the next one then?
Jeff Clayton
Enthusiast

Post by Jeff Clayton »

Are you organising one?
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Jeff Clayton wrote:Are you organising one?
No way! lol
Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

Joseph Bolas wrote:
Kai Laddiman wrote:Does anybody have any information about it this year? I am incredibly keen to go having missed CoLin, but I don't know the date. Can I have some URGENT help please? :)
COBRIS 2006 and 2007 were both held on the first Saturday of July, so if there is one this year, presumably it would be on Saturday 4th July.

I was responsible last year for there not being a COBRIS, because I was trying to set up an event in Liverpool, but failed to get anything ready on time.
My birthday!
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

And you posted on mine :)