CANCELLED - CO:WY 2020 - Countdown In West Yorkshire - Saturday 5th September 2020

Discussion and announcements relating to unofficial Countdown competitions, held online or in real life. Observation, discussion, reflection, and other stuff ending in -ion.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

CANCELLED - CO:WY 2020 - Countdown In West Yorkshire - Saturday 5th September 2020

Post by James Robinson »

TIME FOR PROJECT RESTART.... (HOPEFULLY) ;) :) :D :mrgreen: 8-)

COVID-19 has been so awful, and has decimated the FOCAL 2020 calendar, but providing that everything is back to a decent sort of normality...., we intend to restart the CO-event calendar in Countdown's spiritual home of West Yorkshire this September.... 8-) 8-) 8-)

PLEASE NOTE, WE'RE NOT ACCEPTING PAYMENTS AS OF YET, UNTIL THE EVENT IS FINALISED, BUT PLEASE STATE YOUR INTENTION OF COMING BELOW...

Venue:
Our venue is the Lightcliffe Golf Club, just a couple of miles east of Halifax town centre and north of Brighouse. The address is Knowle Top Road, Lightcliffe, Hipperholme, Halifax, West Yorkshire, HX3 8SW. (For a look yourselves, go here: http://www.lightcliffegolfclub.co.uk/) Bus services from Halifax-Leeds and Halifax-Bradford via Brighouse go to the main road, and the crossroads are right next to the venue. The nearest train stations are Halifax and Brighouse, of which services from London Kings Cross are available on Grand Central.

General Overview:
Presented by James Robinson and Callum Todd, using the "Bristol" classroom format and playing along with big screen virtual studio graphics:

Based on the successful introduction in COHUD 2017, we're using a group stage format, players will be drawn at random into groups of equal numbers playing heat a set number of heat matches. This means players will know at the start who they will be up against in the heats.

These will be classic 9-round matches, as per the original television format (6L 2N 1C).

At the end of the heats, everyone goes into groups of eight for the quarter-finals, in order of number of wins, total points scored and +/- points difference. The winner from each heats group goes into Division A, the runner-up into Division B, third place into C and fourth place into D.

From here, everybody is seeded within their divisions to play a 15-round quarter-final (10L 4N 1C), 15-round semi-final and 14-round final (8L 4N 2C). This will be done in Swiss format, so everybody will get to play right until the end of the day.

The two finalists in Group A will sit out the mainstream final, to play the tournament’s showpiece Grand Final at around 5pm. So if you don’t make the top two, why not recharge your glass, sit back and enjoy!

There will also be a Who Wants To Be A Millionaire? lunchtime quiz with a prize for the winner too.

Prices/Rates:
CO:WY 2020 is scheduled to take place on Saturday 5 September -- doors open at 9:30am for a prompt 10:30am start, finishing at around 6-6:30pm. The admission price is TBC, but will include a cold buffet lunch. There will be a cash bar available too, as well as tea/coffee making facilities. :D

As per usual, payments are available (BUT NOT YET):
- By PayPal (https://www.paypal.me/JRTerrier7 (DON'T FORGET - Choose the "Family/Friends" option on payment.);
- By phone (0781 775 0544);
- By cheque (address available on request).

We look forward to having you join us up in West Yorkshire!!!
Last edited by James Robinson on Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Re: TBC - CO:WY 2020 - Countdown In West Yorkshire - Saturday 5th September 2020

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

Hopefully. I would probably go if it's on, I haven't been to a co-event in 5 years (!) and need to start going again. But I'm quite pessimistic about the whole situation.
The forum's resident JAILBAKER, who has SPONDERED several times...
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Re: TBC - CO:WY 2020 - Countdown In West Yorkshire - Saturday 5th September 2020

Post by James Robinson »

Rhys Benjamin wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 6:42 am Hopefully. I would probably go if it's on, I haven't been to a co-event in 5 years (!) and need to start going again. But I'm quite pessimistic about the whole situation.
I can certainly understand the pessimism, but I’d like to hope that things will be better within the next 11 weeks...🤞🤞🤞
Dan Byrom
Acolyte

Post by Dan Byrom »

Absolutely loved last year's! I'm in if things are ok by then!
Thomas Carey
Kiloposter

Post by Thomas Carey »

provisionally in whatever messague you want me to put here_
cheers maus
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

James Robinson wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:22 am
Rhys Benjamin wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 6:42 am Hopefully. I would probably go if it's on, I haven't been to a co-event in 5 years (!) and need to start going again. But I'm quite pessimistic about the whole situation.
I can certainly understand the pessimism, but I’d like to hope that things will be better within the next 11 weeks...🤞🤞🤞
The thing is you'll need to make a decision with (say) no later than 4 weeks to go, so it's not 11 weeks, more like 6 or 7, before you have to decide. And since county cricket won't resume behind closed doors until Aug 1 at the earliest (grumble grumble) then I'm not hopeful.
The forum's resident JAILBAKER, who has SPONDERED several times...
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Rhys Benjamin wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:11 pm
James Robinson wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:22 am
The thing is you'll need to make a decision with (say) no later than 4 weeks to go, so it's not 11 weeks, more like 6 or 7, before you have to decide. And since county cricket won't resume behind closed doors until Aug 1 at the earliest (grumble grumble) then I'm not hopeful.
Oh yeah, definitely. Hopefully today’s announcement is the start of good things ahead...🤞🤞🤞
Stewart Gordon
Enthusiast

Post by Stewart Gordon »

Only decimated? I would have thought it had done much worse than that.

Anyhow, in all probability I'm in. Thank you James for setting the ball rolling (or should I say the Countdown clock ticking?) again. Hopefully we'll get a decent number of people.
DJ Marky Mark
Rookie

Post by DJ Marky Mark »

Me and Tracey will be there if it goes ahead James, stick us down... :)
Long suffering Husband of Tracey Mills.
Zubair Patel
Rookie

Post by Zubair Patel »

I'm in too please, all being well.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Re: CANCELLED - CO:WY 2020 - Countdown In West Yorkshire - Saturday 5th September 2020

Post by James Robinson »

Hi all,

I was hoping to give a big announcement tomorrow officially launching CO:WY 2020, but unfortunately a couple of hitches have happened this week...😢😢😢

On Tuesday, I was due to visit the golf club to check on how we could cope with social distancing and have a maximum amount confirmed, but a couple of hours before I was due to visit, I got a call saying that the members of the club (who are the only people allowed in at the moment) has vetoed the event, in fear of “outsiders” possibly bringing in the virus.🦠🦠🦠

So, I tried to find an alternative venue at short notice (hard enough when things were normal), but then late last night (as you might’ve heard on the news today), a few areas in West Yorkshire including my usual haunts of Kirklees and Calderdale had social distancing rules reintroduced...❌❌❌

So, it’s with a heavy heart that I’m going to have to cancel the event this year, and hope that Mark and Tracey can get the UK arm of FOCAL back up and running with Blackpool in October.🤞🤞🤞

So, stay safe everyone, and hopefully we can resume either with Eoin (in August with Waterford) or with the Millses by the seaside.🍀🏖