Preferred format for event finals

Discussion and announcements relating to unofficial Countdown competitions, held online or in real life. Observation, discussion, reflection, and other stuff ending in -ion.

What is your preferred format for event finals?

The format used for the rest of the event, whatever that is
43%
15 Rounder (regardless of format of rest of event)
29%
9 Rounder (regardless of format of rest of event)
No votes
14 Rounder (regardless of format of rest of event)
No votes
Idgaf
29%

Total votes: 14

Callum Todd
Series 69 Champion

Preferred format for event finals

Post by Callum Todd »

Hello. This topic of discussion has come up privately once or twice with me recently, so I thought it would be interesting to open it up for debate to see what the popular opinion is among the faithful co:event-going public.

Personally, while I'm not really all that bothered, I think the final should be the same format as the rest of the day so that it tests and displays skill in the same format that the finalists used to get that far.

But I've heard some people suggest that a longer format, such as 15 Rounder or 14 Rounder should be used as it makes things more entertaining, even if the rest of the event was 9 Rounders like most are.
Last edited by Callum Todd on Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mark Deeks wrote:Callum Todd looks like a young Ted Bundy.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Re: Preferred format for event finals

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Well, I'd prefer it to be both the format that is used for the rest of the event and a 9-rounder, so which should I vote for?
Callum Todd
Series 69 Champion

Post by Callum Todd »

Sorry for the uncertainty. I intended the bottom 3 options as being for people who wanted them to be the format of the final, regardless of the format of the rest. So I would say, imagine you were at an event that didn't use 9 Rounders throughout the day (like Huddersfield has used 10 Rounders in the past). Would you want the same format as the rest of the day, or switch to 9 Rounder?
Callum Todd
Series 69 Champion

Post by Callum Todd »

Have fixed it now. Slightly worrying I can edit the text of the poll options after creation, presumably even if they've already been voted for. Politicians everywhere flocking to see this method of polling.
L'oisleatch McGraw
Devotee

Post by L'oisleatch McGraw »

The first option assumes that an event might have consistency throughout, and suddenly change format for the final only. (e.g. CO:LON 2020... which is probably why the poll exists) What about if various formats are used in equal measure throughout the event? (e.g. if the preliminaries are 9R, but the QF, SF and GF are all 15R?)

I'm not 100% sure about this poll anyway.
It's kind of like: how do you like your eggs?
a) I don't like eggs
b) I prefer them fried
c) I prefer them boiled
d) I prefer them scrambled
e) I prefer them poached.

Option a) would win the eggs poll for the same reason that "format used for the rest of the event" will win this one.
:arrow: :arrow: :arrow: S:778-ochamp
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Callum Todd wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:49 pm Have fixed it now. Slightly worrying I can edit the text of the poll options after creation, presumably even if they've already been voted for. Politicians everywhere flocking to see this method of polling.
I was probably being a bit facetious but anyway I've voted for the same format now.

By the way, I consider the 14-rounder obsolete and annoying - too much emphasis on the conundrum lottery. That's one reason to prefer 15s over 9s but they're a bit long for a CO-event really. Maybe 9-rounders with the conundrums worth 2 points!
Callum Todd
Series 69 Champion

Post by Callum Todd »

L'oisleatch McGraw wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:25 pm I'm not 100% sure about this poll anyway.
a) I don't like eggs
b) I prefer them fried
c) I prefer them boiled

Option a) would win the eggs poll for the same reason that "format used for the rest of the event" will win this one.
Except this question is about Countdown events, being posted on a Countdown forum in the Events section. So it would only be like doing a poll on 'how do you like your eggs' on a forum of egg-eating-event attendees, in which case I expect a) wouldn't win (unless there's a big cross over between the egg-eating community and the sadist community).

As for events that use multiple formats throughout the day, I would assume most people voting option 1 wouldn't really be bothered what format a final for such an event would have. If you're fussy about formats you're unlikely to attend an event that uses 3 or more different ones anyway, or at least if you do you'd have admitted defeat before that point anyway.
Thomas Carey
Kiloposter

Post by Thomas Carey »

where's the idgaf option

i mean 15s are less volatile than 9s and 14s for obvious reasons. is that good? bad? who knows! i don;t see any reason why it shoudldb e the same as the rest of event, but if the organiser wants it that way fuckin let em, free country in it, will of the people, j
cheers maus
Callum Todd
Series 69 Champion

Post by Callum Todd »

Good point, there should be an Idgaf option. I've added one, although some people have already voted before it was there.
Callum Todd
Series 69 Champion

Post by Callum Todd »

Oh looks like adding an extra option has reset the poll. I suck at this
L'oisleatch McGraw
Devotee

Callum, my point (using eggs as an example) is that the poll question reads like this (to me):-

Should the format of the event be switched for the final?
a) No.
b) A version of yes.
c) A 2nd version of yes.
d) A 3rd version of yes.
e) idgaf.

Anyway, I must say the idgaf option was very tempting the 2nd time around, but I went for 15R again, because it is what modern day fans of the show would expect when attending a countdown event. It's the gold standard.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

L'oisleatch McGraw wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:25 pm Callum, my point (using eggs as an example) is that the poll question reads like this (to me):-

a) No.
b) A version of yes.
c) A 2nd version of yes.
d) A 3rd version of yes.
e) idgaf.
But unlike with our parliamentary voting system, a more nuanced analysis of the poll is possible before any action is taken.
Last edited by Gavin Chipper on Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
L'oisleatch McGraw
Devotee

Gavin Chipper wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:40 pm
But unlike with our parliamentary voting system, a more nuanced analysis of the poll is possible before any action is taken
Maybe I'm taking this too seriously... hmmm :lol:
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

I do think DILLIGAF is a better DGAF option than IDGAF. Face. Bovvered.
Callum Todd
Series 69 Champion

Post by Callum Todd »

L'oisleatch McGraw wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:25 pm Callum, my point (using eggs as an example) is that the poll question reads like this (to me):-

a) No.
b) A version of yes.
c) A 2nd version of yes.
d) A 3rd version of yes.
e) idgaf.
Yep. That's as intended. A 'yes' to that question would be useless; it would tell us nothing about what the people voting for it wanted. You couldn't reverse engineer it to see what formats people wanted. Whereas here it's quite easy to count the 'yes'es if that's what you want to do.
Martin Peters
Acolyte

Post by Martin Peters »

Im a bit in the middle of this debate, I think 15R finals offer a better game and more opportunity for the players to show there talent, however changing the format for the final seems a bit strange but yet again does it really matter as the format was changed for the finals on the show from 2-45, I think if It is BS and it has a variety of formats i think it should be the longest format used, therefore I have come to the conclusion that I’m voting 15R
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Post by JackHurst »

L'oisleatch McGraw wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:25 pm The first option assumes that an event might have consistency throughout, and suddenly change format for the final only. (e.g. CO:LON 2020... which is probably why the poll exists) What about if various formats are used in equal measure throughout the event? (e.g. if the preliminaries are 9R, but the QF, SF and GF are all 15R?)

a) I don't like eggs
b) I prefer them fried
c) I prefer them boiled

If you have nothing useful to add you can always refrain from posting a response?
L'oisleatch McGraw
Devotee

JackHurst wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:32 pm
L'oisleatch McGraw wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:25 pm The first option assumes that an event might have consistency throughout, and suddenly change format for the final only. (e.g. CO:LON 2020... which is probably why the poll exists) What about if various formats are used in equal measure throughout the event? (e.g. if the preliminaries are 9R, but the QF, SF and GF are all 15R?)

a) I don't like eggs
b) I prefer them fried
c) I prefer them boiled

If you have nothing useful to add you can always refrain from posting a response?
I assume you are aware of the irony of your comment?