SIGN-UPS SUSPENDED: Countdown in Edinburgh (CoEdi5) - Saturday 27th June 2020

Discussion and announcements relating to unofficial Countdown competitions, held online or in real life. Observation, discussion, reflection, and other stuff ending in -ion.
Callum Todd
Series 69 Champion

SIGN-UPS SUSPENDED: Countdown in Edinburgh (CoEdi5) - Saturday 27th June 2020

Post by Callum Todd »

Please note that due to uncertainty around public gatherings caused by the current Co-vid19 pandemic, sign-ups are currently suspended for this event until I can be certain it will be able to go ahead.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask. In the meantime, please stay safe and be responsible.

Co:Edi is back! After its successful revival last year by Innis Carson and Zarte Siempre, who have now moved their February
event to Manchester, stewardship of the Scottish capital event has been handed over to former Co:Leeds host Callum Todd for 2020, proving that English colonialism is not yet dead.

Date: Saturday 27th June 2020
Venue: The New Melville Bridge Club, 1 Pinkhill (just off Corstorphine Road), Edinburgh, EH12 7BA
Admission: £12, payable via Paypal here
Start time: Doors open at 10am for an 11am start
Finish time: 6pm
Hosted by: Callum Todd
Games to be played: At least six (but hopefully eight), plus Grand Final
Wheelchair accessible?: Yes

The venue shall be the same as last year: the impressive New Melville Bridge Club, located just off Corstorphine Road, a good distance from both central Edinburgh and the airport. We give our thanks to Iain Sime for recommending the venue.

Games will be played in the style developed many years ago by the Edinburgh Countdown Club, traditionally known as 'Edinburgh-style', with players being drawn onto tables of three and playing a round-robin of 9 Rounder matches. Hence each player shall play two games per round. Usually events manage three rounds of play, but last year’s Edinburgh saw four! No promises can be made, but Callum hopes to repeat Innis and Zarte’s feat from 2019, so expect to play up to eight heat games.

There is a small bar within the club that should be serving hot drinks and light refreshments throughout the day.

If you want to take part in Co:Edi5, just send the £12 entry fee to Callum via PayPal here.

If you have any questions, just post them below, or send an e-mail to callum@focalcountdown.co.uk

We’ll see you in Edinburgh!

Confirmed Entries (2)
Fiona T
James Robinson 8-)
Mark Deeks wrote:Callum Todd looks like a young Ted Bundy.
Jason William Larsen
Rookie

Re: SIGN-UPS SUSPENDED: Countdown in Edinburgh (CoEdi5) - Saturday 27th June 2020

Post by Jason William Larsen »

It's getting late for Callum to let people know whether the event is canceled or not.

Is Britain still in quarantine?
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Re: SIGN-UPS SUSPENDED: Countdown in Edinburgh (CoEdi5) - Saturday 27th June 2020

Post by James Robinson »

Jason William Larsen wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:55 pm It's getting late for Callum to let people know whether the event is canceled or not.

Is Britain still in quarantine?
It’s slightly freer than it was, Jason. But, travel is only being suggested for essential travel purposes, so I feel that this is going to go...☹️☹️☹️
Jason William Larsen
Rookie

Excellent! Good for Callum!
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

Given that the Prime Minister today has explicitly stated that indoor gatherings shouldn't be held, it's almost certainly a case of when rather than if.
The forum's resident JAILBAKER, who has SPONDERED several times...
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Jason William Larsen wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:27 pm Excellent! Good for Callum!
Looking at the context, I think he means "go" as in not happen. As in go away, disappear.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:51 pm
Jason William Larsen wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:27 pm Excellent! Good for Callum!
Looking at the context, I think he means "go" as in not happen. As in go away, disappear.
Yeah, that.
L'oisleatch McGraw
Devotee

Post by L'oisleatch McGraw »

Rhys Benjamin wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:35 pm it's almost certainly a case of when rather than if.
So many mixed up phrases used here.
"If rather than when" no doubt?
:arrow: :arrow: :arrow: S:778-ochamp
Anthony Endsor
Enthusiast

Post by Anthony Endsor »

I'd be surprised to see any further co events this year to be honest. In order for there to be one, we'd need a venue where 30 people could social distance. In most cases that would make the cost prohibitive. So it looks like we're gonna have to wait for the bug to bugger off :D
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

Well see what the next month or two brings, but I did vaguely wonder about an outdoor event - would have to be weather dependent of course.
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

L'oisleatch McGraw wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:16 pm
Rhys Benjamin wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:35 pm it's almost certainly a case of when rather than if.
So many mixed up phrases used here.
"If rather than when" no doubt?
As in, "when [it is cancelled] rather than if [it is cancelled]".
The forum's resident JAILBAKER, who has SPONDERED several times...
Callum Todd
Series 69 Champion

Post by Callum Todd »

I was holding out hope for as long as possible but the event is now cancelled. Will formalise that on this post and focal site when I get the time. I hope to bring back Coedi at some point, although it's far too soon to speculate when that could be.

As for other events in 2020, I plan to go ahead with GoLeeds in November if at all possible. Unfortunately I don't have the resources of Dana White so I can't promise 'Countdown Island' but I expect I will be bale to put that event on in some form or another. I also have faith that CoBla will be able to go ahead in October due to the special circumstances with that venue.

Will maybe get in touch with Jeff and other FOCAL peeps about what guidelines may need setting out for any events that happen while the virus is still in significant circulation. Stay safe peeps.
Mark Deeks wrote:Callum Todd looks like a young Ted Bundy.
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

Expected, but :( anyway.
Jason William Larsen
Rookie

Callum Todd wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:56 am I was holding out hope for as long as possible but the event is now cancelled. Will formalise that on this post and focal site when I get the time. I hope to bring back Coedi at some point, although it's far too soon to speculate when that could be.

As for other events in 2020, I plan to go ahead with GoLeeds in November if at all possible. Unfortunately I don't have the resources of Dana White so I can't promise 'Countdown Island' but I expect I will be bale to put that event on in some form or another. I also have faith that CoBla will be able to go ahead in October due to the special circumstances with that venue.

Will maybe get in touch with Jeff and other FOCAL peeps about what guidelines may need setting out for any events that happen while the virus is still in significant circulation. Stay safe peeps.
Oh no!