Countdown in London (CO:LON) - 16 May 2020 - CANCELLED

Discussion and announcements relating to unofficial Countdown competitions, held online or in real life. Observation, discussion, reflection, and other stuff ending in -ion.
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Countdown in London (CO:LON) - 16 May 2020 - CANCELLED

Post by Fiona T »

When is it?

Part of the Focal Calendar, CO:LON is back on the 16 May 2020 with your new hosts, George Armstrong and Fiona Titcombe.

It's also Eurovision day, so you may notice a bit of a theme! Dressing up on theme is to be encouraged :)

Where is it?

Christian Street Community Hub
30 Challoner Walk
London
E1 1QN

Map

It’s about 5 minutes from Shadwell DLR/Overground station, or walkable from Liverpool Street. If you're looking for a travel buddy to get across London, please let us know and we'll try and find someone who will be using the same route as you.

The venue is wheelchair accessible.

Please see below for timings.

What will I be doing?

You will play six 9-round games of Countdown in the 'Lincoln' style of tournament. After six games, the top two players will face each other in a 15 round grand final.

The first round is drawn randomly, but don't worry if you have a bumpy start - for the second and third round you will be playing opponents that have scored similarly to you, so everyone should get some good, well matched games. The aim is to have fun, and there will be plenty of prizes on offer.

What about lunch?

Bring a packed lunch, or support the nearby local shops who sell a range of sandwiches and cakes. Tea and coffee will be provided throughout the day at the venue.

As it's Eurovision, we have something extra special lined up for the lunchbreak - more details soon!

And after?

We've provisionally booked the Amber Bar at the excellent Baltic Restaurant which serves great food and cocktails. The booked area is wheelchair accessible. We will be choosing from a £30 fixed menu - which for London is pretty good value, but really need at least 30 people to attend to meet the minimum spend requirement, so please let us know as soon as possible if you're interested.

Where can I stay?

There are plenty of hotels across London - Premier Inn and Travelodge are usually affordable, comfortable and clean. Booking early usually secures the best price, so get booked as soon as you can. If you need help, talk to us.

I'm in - what do I do?

Numbers will be capped at 60, so get your entry in early to avoid disappointment.

The entry fee will be £10 -the same as last year. We would prefer you to pay via paypal. If you can't pay via paypal, then please contact George or Fiona to make alternative arrangements.

Under 16s must be accompanied by a parent or guardian.

Any questions, please contact George or Fiona, and we'll do our best to help.

garmstrong97@outlook.com
fiona.titcombe@gmail.com

We look forward to seeing you there!

Approximate Timings:

11:00: Doors open
11:45: First round draw is made - please make sure you arrive before 11:45
12:00: First round commences
13:15: Lunch break
14:30: Second round commences
15:45: Third round commences
17:00: Grand final
17:30: Prizegiving
17:45: Clear up
18:00: Head to the restaurant

Facebook event page

Confirmed entrants (27) - max 60:

1) Matt Morrison
2) Heather Badcock
0) Phil Collinge (will be very much with us in our thoughts)
3) Supee Juachan
4) Mystery guest!
5) James Robinson
6) Sean Fletcher
7) Jonathan De Souza
8) Phil Stanton
9) Thomas Carey
10) Josh Boddy
11) Thomas Cappleman
12) Jamie Rawson
13) Ashwin Abinashi
14) Jacob Coventry-Peters
15) Toby Pereira
16) Stephen Holford
17) Rachel Perkins
18) Sam Prouse
19) Stuart Moore
20) Tim Hebbes
21) Ruth Everness
22) Mauro Pratesi
23) Jessica Pratesi
24) David Hilton
25) Jeff Clayton
26) Paul Talmey
27) Nathan Pace
Last edited by Fiona T on Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:27 am, edited 34 times in total.
Ronan M Higginson
Enthusiast

Re: Countdown in London (CO:LON) - 16 May 2020

Post by Ronan M Higginson »

Great to see this is back, definitely in for this currently :D :D :D
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

I don't think the "family and friends" option has been a thing for a year or two now. It's the other way round - when you're just sending money without it being tied to a third party transaction (e.g. eBay), the assumption is that it is (what was) for "friends and family" and you have to explicitly tick "paying for goods or services" in order for a fee to be taken, and to receive buyer protection from PayPal.

So yeah, all you focal lot can fucking well update your copy-and-paste descriptions if you want to stop annoying me.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Ronan M Higginson wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:42 am Great to see this is back, definitely in for this currently :D :D :D
More or less definitely than every other event held this year?
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

Matt Morrison wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:16 am So yeah, all you focal lot can fucking well update your copy-and-paste descriptions if you want to stop annoying me.
Or keep them, just to annoy you :)
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

And we have our first signups!

The grumpy and sweary Matt Morrison, and the cheerful and friendly Heather Badcock.
Ronan M Higginson
Enthusiast

Post by Ronan M Higginson »

Matt Morrison wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:17 am
Ronan M Higginson wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:42 am Great to see this is back, definitely in for this currently :D :D :D
More or less definitely than every other event held this year?
More :D
Phil Collinge
Acolyte

Post by Phil Collinge »

A handshake on 3rd April 2019 provides you with 3 more entries*

* deliberately cryptic!
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

Phil Collinge wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:33 pm A handshake on 3rd April 2019 provides you with 3 more entries*

* deliberately cryptic!
Intriguing!
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

Last edited by Fiona T on Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

Quarter of the places gone folks - don't leave it too late!
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

We're very excited to be able to reveal our lunchtime diversion!

JCP, aka Destra will be performing Eurovision hits for your enjoyment! It's gonna be awesome and I can't wait!
Thomas Carey
Kiloposter

Post by Thomas Carey »

Fiona T wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:10 am We're very excited to be able to reveal our lunchtime diversion!

JCP, aka Destra will be performing Eurovision hits for your enjoyment! It's gonna be awesome and I can't wait!
*withdraws sign-up*
cheers maus
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

Thomas Carey wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:58 am
Fiona T wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:10 am We're very excited to be able to reveal our lunchtime diversion!

*withdraws sign-up*
You can go hide in a nearby bush if it's not your thing.
Paul Howe
Kiloposter

Post by Paul Howe »

I've forgotten much of what I previously knew (if a drunken sojourn onto apterous is any guide), and the dictionary seems to have been polluted by many varieties of nonsense, but I think I might come to this and soak up some nostalgia given it's a mere 5 minute stroll from my flat.
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

Paul Howe wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:00 am I've forgotten much of what I previously knew (if a drunken sojourn onto apterous is any guide), and the dictionary seems to have been polluted by many varieties of nonsense, but I think I might come to this and soak up some nostalgia given it's a mere 5 minute stroll from my flat.
Excellent. All that is required are ten of your British pounds, and you're in!
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

To publicly answer a few questions that have been received by various channels:

1) Does the venue have plug sockets?

There are plug sockets around the rooms, so you should be able to recharge your phone at some point

2) Is there parking at the venue?

No, there is no parking, but the venue is easily accessible via public transport. There are public carparks in the vicinity, but these are likely to be expensive. If anyone requires accessible parking, then please let me know and I will check with the venue.

3) What format will the conundrums be?

There will be a mix of 8,9 and 10 letter conundrums

4) Why is the final 15 rounds this year?

This is down to the preference of the organisers - George and I feel it makes for a better final game - other opinions are available!

5) Why the cap on numbers this year?

This is largely to keep things manageable in terms of organisation - for example, last year the organisers had to hire in extra chairs.

6) Who is JCP, aka Destra?

JCP is Jacob Coventry-Peters and Destra is his stage act. It's gonna be awesome! (did I say that already?)
Jonathan Wynn
Series 73 Champion

Post by Jonathan Wynn »

Fiona T wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:53 pm To publicly answer a few questions that have been received by various channels:

1) Does the venue have plug sockets?

There are plug sockets around the rooms, so you should be able to recharge your phone at some point

2) Is there parking at the venue?

No, there is no parking, but the venue is easily accessible via public transport. There are public carparks in the vicinity, but these are likely to be expensive. If anyone requires accessible parking, then please let me know and I will check with the venue.

3) What format will the conundrums be?

There will be a mix of 8,9 and 10 letter conundrums

4) Why is the final 15 rounds this year?

This is down to the preference of the organisers - George and I feel it makes for a better final game - other opinions are available!

5) Why the cap on numbers this year?

This is largely to keep things manageable in terms of organisation - for example, last year the organisers had to hire in extra chairs.

6) Who is JCP, aka Destra?

JCP is Jacob Coventry-Peters and Destra is his stage act. It's gonna be awesome! (did I say that already?)
1) Good times
2) Good times
3) Good times
4) Disagree personally feels out of sorts with the rest of the tourney-like finishing a pool tournament with a game of snooker....

5) Perfectly fair

6) mmmm.....................

Looking forward though whatever happens :)
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Torn about the 9 vs 15 final. Pros and cons to both for sure, but I'm fairly confident it's not a definitely bad thing.

Does it make for a better result? Probably - more likely the best player wins after 15 than after 9, 9 round finals so often end in a conundrum race.

Does it make for a better final? Possibly not - anything that detracts from a crucial conundrum race only reduces the tension I suppose, and a well-judged crucial conundrum can still be a perfectly valid and impressive way to win a game.

My opinions are not valid though because I never care enough to be arsed to fight for a good view of the final so invariably end up at the back looking forward to it being over and going to the pub. Not in a selfish way like. (I don't think.)
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Well I think the thing about fighting for a good view of the final is relevant in its own way. I like a grand final but I also like 9 rounds because CO events are inclusive things and the longer the final, the more time that only the "elite" are playing and the rest are having to scrap for a good viewing place.
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

Matt Morrison wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:25 am ... looking forward to it being over and going to the pub. Not in a selfish way like. (I don't think.)
More pub time is the best argument I've heard yet for a 9R final :D

On that note, if people are interested in the dinner, can they let me or George know? If we don't get 30 or so, we'll need to have a rethink.
szodiac
Enthusiast

Post by szodiac »

How do we stand with the Covid-19 virus situation?
Certain Scrabble tournaments are being cancelled. Jessica tells me most of the Ingress meets across the world have been cancelled. Football has been cancelled until April. The big C2C country weekend at the O2 was cancelled at the very, very last minute.
Have George and Fiona any early thoughts on this?
Thanks
Mauro
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

Hi Mauro

Please see the statement on the focal website

https://focalcountdown.co.uk/

At present, we're continuing as advertised, but clearly it's a rapidly changing situation and circumstances outwith our control may necessitate change at short notice.

We'll of course keep you informed if anything changes.
szodiac
Enthusiast

Post by szodiac »

Much appreciated. Many thanks.
Mauro and Jessica
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

Thinking that London might still be able to go ahead seems to have been naively optimistic, so it is with great sadness that George and I have taken the decision to cancel this event.

For those who have paid by paypal, I will refund your entry fee to the account that you paid from (SJ, I'll contact you separately). For those that have given me cash or done a bank transfer, I'll contact you to see how best to refund.

Once this has settled down we will be looking to reschedule, but realistically that is going to be some months away.

Take care all, and stay well.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Re: Countdown in London (CO:LON) - 16 May 2020 - CANCELLED

Post by Gavin Chipper »

A shame but I suppose it was inevitable given how close it is now. Eurovision was cancelled and that was on the same day.
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:51 pm A shame but I suppose it was inevitable given how close it is now. Eurovision was cancelled and that was on the same day.
On the bright side, when we reschedule, at least we won't have to play shit music! ;)
szodiac
Enthusiast

Post by szodiac »

Regrettable but understandable. Refund came thru OK. Many thanks Fiona. Next year fingers crossed. Take care everybody.

Mauro/Jessica

ps: Hope the Eurovision CD for 2020 - the contest that never was, will still be available come 24th April, so I can hear how good/bad they really are.