CANCELLED. CO:York - Countdown in York 2020 - 18th April 2020

Discussion and announcements relating to unofficial Countdown competitions, held online or in real life. Observation, discussion, reflection, and other stuff ending in -ion.
George Armstrong
Rookie

CANCELLED. CO:York - Countdown in York 2020 - 18th April 2020

Post by George Armstrong »

We're back for 2020 - bigger and better than before. But what can you expect from CO:York 2020:

Our Venue:

A change from last year and definitely for the better. Our new venue is Clements Hall, Nunthorpe Road, York, YO23 1BW. The venue is just a 10 minute walk from York Station, and we also have an arrangement to use the primary school opposite the hall for parking, with space for about 30 cars. There will be a buffet during the lunch break so please let me know of dietary requirements ASAP so I can make sure you don't go hungry. This new venue also has a large projector screen and a max capacity of 48 entrants.

The Games:

We will be playing a Lincoln style event. All competitors will be drawn into groups of three at the start of the day for Round 1 and you will play everyone in your group once in 9-round games (6L 2N 1C). Two more rounds follow where your opponents will be your neighbours in the daily standings at that point so don't worry if you have a tough start. At the end of the three rounds our top two will face off in the final. Remember the aim is to have fun. And there will be plenty of prizes on offer that anyone could take home.

Speaking of games...

During the lunch break, we will be airing our showing of FOCAL Does Taskmaster, based off of the hit Dave show. More details of this will come in time, and there will be opportunity for audience involvement.

On the day:

Again the same as last year - I will be at the venue from 9am but I don't expect any of you to turn up this early (although you're more than welcome to). Doors will open officially at 10am if not earlier with the first round draw at 10.45am and the first round itself at no later than 11am.

Full schedule:

Doors open: 10am
Welcome/Round 1 Draw: 10.45am
Round 1: 11am
Lunch/Taskmaster showing: 12.15pm
Round 2: 2pm
Round 3: 3.15pm
Final: 4.30pm

There will also be a dinner booking afterwards. Details TBC

I will also be making a group booking on hotel rooms so if you're interested please let me know.

So fancy coming? Entry fee for the day will be £13 (a £2 reduction on last year), which includes a buffet lunch, payable to me at www.paypal.me/GArmstrong97, or if you don't have PayPal please message me and we can sort something out. Hope to see you all there. :)

Confirmed entrants (14):

Sean Fletcher
Callum Todd
Richard Priest
Thomas Carey
James Robinson
James Haughton
Bradley Horrocks
Jamie Rawson
Taz Turner
Jason Turner
Ben Wilson
Zubair Patel
Rachel Perkins
Jeff Clayton
Last edited by George Armstrong on Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:57 pm, edited 12 times in total.
George Armstrong
Rookie

Re: CO:York - Countdown in York 2020 - 18th April 2020

I've booked 8 spaces in The Old Grey Mare (https://www.oldgreymare.com) for the full weekend (Fri-Sun). I've messaged those who already made their interest known to me, so there are 4 spaces left. It's a room of 5 and a room of 3. £46 pp. First come first served.

(For reference last year's Travelodge cost us £56 pp and would've been WAY over £60 this time around so we've saved a bit of money, even if it means straying away from the big chains)
George Armstrong
Rookie

Re: CO:York - Countdown in York 2020 - 18th April 2020

With the latest developments coming from the PM and others tonight, I have emailed our venue as to what their stance is. In order to get our money back on the venue, we have to cancel by Wednesday, so expect a decision to be announced in the next 48 hours. Stay safe everyone.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... 6923777793
George Armstrong
Rookie

Re: CANCELLED. CO:York - Countdown in York 2020 - 18th April 2020

Morning everyone,

I've had an email back from the venue, and I'm afraid to announce that this event is indeed going to be cancelled. My utmost apologies to everyone who had cancelled other plans in order to come, and to those who have paid for transport and hotels. Once I get the booking refunded, you will all see your £13 back in your PayPal accounts. For those who were in my hotel deal, I will send you a message as to what's what with that. Many thanks again to you all for supporting these such events. Hopefully we'll meet once all this is over.

Much love, George
Zubair Patel
Rookie

Post by Zubair Patel »

No need to apologise. Thanks for your efforts. If you have already spent money on the event that you won't get back then feel free to keep my entry fee.
George Armstrong
Rookie

Thank you Zubair.

Stuff like trophies and such will keep for next year, albeit it with the wrong year printer on them but whatever :P

Also I've already sent you back the money but tyvm for your offer :)