Countdown in Manchester (CoMan) 2020 - Saturday 15th February

Discussion and announcements relating to unofficial Countdown competitions, held online or in real life. Observation, discussion, reflection, and other stuff ending in -ion.
Innis Carson
Devotee

Countdown in Manchester (CoMan) 2020 - Saturday 15th February

Post by Innis Carson »

As most people on this forum know well, Manchester (/Salford) has, since 2009, been where brave wordsmiths and arithmeticians have ventured in order to test their mettle in the famous Countdown studios. This year, however, you'll have a chance to come here and juggle some letters and numbers in a rather more relaxed setting...

That's right - three years after the inaugural Countdown in Manchester event, Countdown is coming home again! My ever-reliable co-host Zarte Siempre and I are delighted to invite you to CoMan 2020 - a friendly tournament in which you can play some games of Countdown with like-minded people, and perhaps even win some (sentimentally) valuable prizes. For those of you who are familiar with tournaments like this, this one will be played in the 'Edinburgh style', in groups of 3 with one person acting as 'host' and the other two playing.

It'll all be happening on Saturday 15th February, at the rather stylish 1837 Bar at Alston Bar & Beef, located in the Corn Exchange in central Manchester (within easy walking distance from the main railway stations). Doors will open at 10:30am for an 11am start, and we'll be wrapping up at around 5:30pm, after which you'll be very welcome to join us for a meal in the city centre.

If you'd like to take part, you can reserve a place by sending an entry fee of £16 (which includes a generous selection of canapes) by PayPal to innis_carson@hotmail.co.uk - if you're not a PayPal user, just drop me a message and we'll sort out an alternative. We strongly recommend that you sign up in advance of the event - not only will it help us to prepare, but seating is limited at the venue (48 at most) and it'll ensure you avoid disappointment if there's high demand. And if you have any dietary requirements at all, please do let me know so we can make sure you'll be catered for!

All are very welcome to take part, whether you've been to tournaments like this before or not - if you have any queries at all about the event, please feel free to get in touch and I'll be very happy to discuss.

Hope to see you there! :)

CONFIRMED PARTICIPANTS
---
Dave Ryan
Suzy Turner
Bradley Horrocks
Callum Todd
Phil Stanton
James Haughton
Thomas Carey
James Robinson
Mark Mills
Tracey Mills
Richard Williams
Phil Hulme
Anoush Khachik
Adam Dexter
Martin Thomas
Sam Hodkin
Jonathan de Souza
David Hilton
Chris Kirby
Liam Shaw
Anthony Endsor
Jamie Rawson
George Armstrong
Jacob Coventry-Peters
Chris Marshall
Paul Worsley
Jack Worsley
Nathan Pace
Fiona Titcombe
Zubair Patel
Stephen Read
Ben Mills
Tim Down
Last edited by Innis Carson on Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:15 am, edited 11 times in total.
Paul Worsley
Enthusiast

Re: Countdown in Manchester (CoMan) 2020 - Saturday 15th February

Post by Paul Worsley »

Any suggestions for parking?
Innis Carson
Devotee

Post by Innis Carson »

Paul Worsley wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:15 pm Any suggestions for parking?
Their recommendations are Victoria train station (which is very nearby) or the Q-Park parking garage on Chapel Street, just across the river.
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

My current parkrun plan is

https://www.parkrun.org.uk/heaton/

Not the closest, but very accessible on the tram.

Anyone else planning on running?
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

For those who weren’t at the tournament on Saturday, it was another great success.👍👍👍

Tom Carey beat Jack Worsley 61-52 in the final on a crucial conundrum.😎😎😎

Tom was the only player to win all 6 of his heats. Jack, James Haughton, myself and surprise newcomer Richard Williams all won 5/6 games.😄😎👍🧠🔠🔢🕛🕡

Me and Dave Ryan were also involved in a possible record breaking 9R match, as the potential max in our game was 116, as there were 4 nines available. I didn’t get any, but Dave got one of them, and I had to come back from 23-5 down early on to win 66-56 on a tiebreaker.🤯🤯🤯
Last edited by James Robinson on Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

James Robinson wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:11 amTom Carey beat Jack Worsley 61-52 in the final on a tiebreak conundrum.😎😎😎
9 points for the conundrum?
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:55 am
James Robinson wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:11 amTom Carey beat Jack Worsley 61-52 in the final on a tiebreak conundrum.😎😎😎
9 points for the conundrum?
It’s Monday...😛😛