COLIN XII- Countdown in Lincoln, 30-31 January 2016

Discussion and announcements relating to unofficial Countdown competitions, held online or in real life. Observation, discussion, reflection, and other stuff ending in -ion.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Re: COLIN XII- Countdown in Lincoln, 30-31 January 2016

Post by James Robinson »

HUDDERSFIELD TOWN/READING v WALSALL

What a rubbish draw.... :( :cry:

Well, I've got myself a train to Lincoln to catch now!!! ;) :) :D :mrgreen: 8-)
Heather Styles

Post by Heather Styles »

Co-events in general are awesome, no doubt about that. What can I say about COLIN in particular? Well, in recent years, going to COLIN has transformed my overall opinion of January - I used to think the whole month was completely crappy, but I now think of it as mediocre, perhaps even heading in the direction of more or less okay, on average (is this the kind of ringing endorsement you had in mind, Ben?)

So, if your new year hasn't started terribly well, don't let January be a complete write-off - come to COLIN! If you like Countdown, there's no reason not to. If you only sort of like Countdown but you like darts/pool/eating/drinking/talking etc, there is still no reason. If you don't know anyone else going, you soon will. If you don't find anyone you want to talk to, come and say hello to me (and you will quickly find someone else to talk to)!

If you're thinking of making a weekend of it and are not sure where to stay, quite a few of us will be in the Lincoln Thorpe on the Hill Travelodge (www.travelodge.co.uk). Other accommodation options also exist, including The Eagles Guest House (http://eaglesguesthouse.co.uk/), which is very near the Fox and Hounds pub (http://www.pubpeople.com/foxandhounds).
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

12 days to go and numbers currently stand at 41, which means we need just another 7 to make it a COLIN attendance record and another 10 to make it an all-time co-event attendance record... Come on. You know you want to. Just read Heather's post above if you don't believe me. :)

I'm going to repeat my request for copies of the board game at this point, especially if numbers do hit that magical (and improbable) target of 51 entrants- I'll need at least another 8 people to bring along copies of the game, so anything you can do to help make COLIN XII the best COLIN ever would be most appreciated. Obviously, it's a little late in the day to buy extra goodies or prizes, but that doesn't mean I can't 'rollover' my appreciation to CoNot V in July or COLIN the 13th next January (both of which are definitely happening, by the way). :)

Oh, and if you're down at 'attending' on Facebook but haven't paid up yet, please do so, especially for the hangover, which only has four free spaces. You know who you are.

See you on the 30th!
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

I'll certainly bring a game, Ben. ;) :) :D
Jack Worsley
Series 66 Champion

Post by Jack Worsley »

Ben Wilson wrote: I'm going to repeat my request for copies of the board game at this point, especially if numbers do hit that magical (and improbable) target of 51 entrants- I'll need at least another 8 people to bring along copies of the game, so anything you can do to help make COLIN XII the best COLIN ever would be most appreciated.
I've already said (I think) that I can bring along one copy. In addition, I can bring another in an emergency but the letters distribution is horrific, even by board game standards. I may also have another (decent) box set somewhere, so let me know if you're struggling.

Are you still sticking to your ruling on using the apterous lexicon regardless of updatedness (probably valid now) at the time? My understanding is that it's being updated slowly, roughly by first letter in no particular order. I think it may be dangerous to function with a partially complete update. Making decisions on whether or not a word's valid is of course part of the game but what if you don't know which letters have been updated and which haven't? That would unfairly punish people not on apterous. I think people are entitled to know which dictionary they're using, so if you stick with your ruling, how about trying to inform people of which letters have and haven't been updated? That may be a stupid question but what do others think?
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Jack Worsley wrote:Are you still sticking to your ruling on using the apterous lexicon regardless of updatedness (probably valid now) at the time? My understanding is that it's being updated slowly, roughly by first letter in no particular order. I think it may be dangerous to function with a partially complete update. Making decisions on whether or not a word's valid is of course part of the game but what if you don't know which letters have been updated and which haven't? That would unfairly punish people not on apterous. I think people are entitled to know which dictionary they're using, so if you stick with your ruling, how about trying to inform people of which letters have and haven't been updated? That may be a stupid question but what do others think?
I can see why someone would stick to the Apterous lexicon because it gives a definitive answer. Using the ODO would have the advantage of including all the new words, but also the disadvantage of having cases where adjudication might be required. If it was me running it, I'd probably go with the ODO anyway and if there is a borderline case call over a few people that know about these things to have a brief discussion before making a decision. It could be quite fun. Like a C4C thread but in real life.
James Laverty
Enthusiast

Post by James Laverty »

Have said as well I'm already bringing a game as well, but just a suggestion for Ben. Can you make a list of whos bringing them either here on on the fb page, Just for clarification.
Definitely not Jamie McNeill or Schrodinger's Cat....
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Jack Worsley wrote:
Ben Wilson wrote: I'm going to repeat my request for copies of the board game at this point, especially if numbers do hit that magical (and improbable) target of 51 entrants- I'll need at least another 8 people to bring along copies of the game, so anything you can do to help make COLIN XII the best COLIN ever would be most appreciated.
I've already said (I think) that I can bring along one copy. In addition, I can bring another in an emergency but the letters distribution is horrific, even by board game standards. I may also have another (decent) box set somewhere, so let me know if you're struggling.

Are you still sticking to your ruling on using the apterous lexicon regardless of updatedness (probably valid now) at the time? My understanding is that it's being updated slowly, roughly by first letter in no particular order. I think it may be dangerous to function with a partially complete update. Making decisions on whether or not a word's valid is of course part of the game but what if you don't know which letters have been updated and which haven't? That would unfairly punish people not on apterous. I think people are entitled to know which dictionary they're using, so if you stick with your ruling, how about trying to inform people of which letters have and haven't been updated? That may be a stupid question but what do others think?
Sticking with apterous is the ideal for the reasons Gevin stated- it's a definitive yes/no answer from a source everyone can approve of, but if it's incomplete... ODO is probably going to be the best to adjudicate if it'll affect the result of a game. It'd be a bit of a bastard to verify max games, though (last year, I could do it in seconds).

And good idea from James to keep a list of game bringers. Here's the people I know of so far-

Jack W- 2
James L- 1
James R- 1
Heather S- 1
Tom Cap- 1
Ryan T- 2

I'll update the list as more people get back to me.

12 days to go! :D
Jack Worsley
Series 66 Champion

Post by Jack Worsley »

I get the idea of the apterous lexicon being easier to adjudicate but I was really concerned about how people are expected to keep track of which letters on apterous are up to date and which have yet to be added. Maybe a list could help.
Robert Foster
Rookie

Post by Robert Foster »

I've compiled the inflections for all headwords under 10 letters beginning with A,B,C,E,G,H,P,S and T, on top of the J,K,L,N,Q,U,V,W,X,Y and Z words that Zarte's already uploaded. I'll get in touch with Charlie to see if he can add these to apterous in time for COLIN.

So the missing letters are D,F and I (for which Ray hasn't done a ticket yet) and M,O and R (these three are quite substantial, but I might be able to knock some of them off by the 29th)

My recommendation is that for the 'completed' letters, whatever is on apterous is valid, and for the others Ben will have to make a decision on the day.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Jack Worsley wrote:I get the idea of the apterous lexicon being easier to adjudicate but I was really concerned about how people are expected to keep track of which letters on apterous are up to date and which have yet to be added. Maybe a list could help.
You said in your other post that it would unfairly penalise people not on Apterous. But let's be realistic. Only people on Apterous would know anything about the new words that have come in and what they were. Only people who average 12+ maxes would find themselves in a position of not knowing what to declare.
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

Robert Foster wrote:My recommendation is that for the 'completed' letters, whatever is on apterous is valid, and for the others Ben will have to make a decision on the day.
It would be a bit farcical though, wouldn't it?

"What dictionary are we using?"
"Depends. What letter does the word begin with?"
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

I suggest we just go back to good ol' faithful, ODE2r.
Robert Foster
Rookie

Post by Robert Foster »

Seems reasonable enough to me to use the mixed approach, it's the best option we've got. The alternative is to use the apterous word list verbatim. This would be strange as some players have put the in the effort to learn new words, but would have to avoid declaring words beginning with certain letters. If a player declares OUTRAKE for example, I wouldn't want it to be disallowed just because it hasn't been added to apterous yet. It's simple enough in these rare cases to look the word up in the ODO and let Ben have the final say.

For the record, I estimate that about 75% of the new words will have been added by the start of COLIN weekend.
Jennifer Steadman
Kiloposter

Post by Jennifer Steadman »

Yeah, obviously we should use ODO to adjudicate. One thing to take into account though is that PLURALS of alt spellings from the new additions never show up if you look them up, so if possible people should look up singular headwords to ensure no words are disallowed because of ODO's incompetence.
"There's leaders, and there's followers, but I'd rather be a dick than a swallower" - Aristotle
Thomas Cappleman
Series 72 Champion

Post by Thomas Cappleman »

I'll put in another vote for full ODO adjudication. Playing on Apterous is annoying at the moment, having to guess whether or not to try a new word.
Zarte Siempre
Series 78 Champion

Post by Zarte Siempre »

Whatever will upset the good players the most, go with that.
Possibly the first contestant to accelerate with a mic clipped...
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

bit of a shot in the dark, but does this place have WiFi Ben?
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Matt Morrison wrote:bit of a shot in the dark, but does this place have WiFi Ben?
'Fraid not. :( You may be able to nick it from the cafe over the road if you've got a very good receiver.
Heather Styles

Post by Heather Styles »

Can bring letters. And, under sufferance, numbers.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Heather Styles wrote:Can bring letters. And, under sufferance, numbers.
Excellent :-)
George Pryn
Acolyte

Post by George Pryn »

George Pryn wrote:
Ben Wilson wrote:Three and a half months to go to COLIN and number have reached eight for the main event and seven for the hangover... And I had a fairly exciting delivery a couple of days ago. :) Normally at COLIN, my prizes either come from car boot sales or one of the eternal sales they seem to be having at The Works... This year I've opted for something a bit more special instead.

I've ordered twelve of these which will be given out to the top 6 at COLIN XII, the top 3 at the hangover, the top two overachievers at COLIN and the top overachiever at the hangover. :) These are (obviously) extremely limited edition so COLIN XII will be your only opportunity to get hold of them, and once they're gone (or if you break them again, Deeks), they're gone.

This isn't going to be the only special COLIN-branded surprise I have planned. More to be revealed over the coming few weeks. In the meantime, if anyone wants to contribute to COLIN and has a fondness for karaoke, please contact me by pm. :)
if there's no lifesize cardboard cut-out of Jon Corby then I'm not interested
I can't make it, but just to clarify, it is not because there is no lifesize cardboard cut-out of Jon Corby (however, if there is, I may be partial to cancelling my holiday...)
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

George Pryn wrote:
George Pryn wrote:
Ben Wilson wrote:Three and a half months to go to COLIN and number have reached eight for the main event and seven for the hangover... And I had a fairly exciting delivery a couple of days ago. :) Normally at COLIN, my prizes either come from car boot sales or one of the eternal sales they seem to be having at The Works... This year I've opted for something a bit more special instead.

I've ordered twelve of these which will be given out to the top 6 at COLIN XII, the top 3 at the hangover, the top two overachievers at COLIN and the top overachiever at the hangover. :) These are (obviously) extremely limited edition so COLIN XII will be your only opportunity to get hold of them, and once they're gone (or if you break them again, Deeks), they're gone.

This isn't going to be the only special COLIN-branded surprise I have planned. More to be revealed over the coming few weeks. In the meantime, if anyone wants to contribute to COLIN and has a fondness for karaoke, please contact me by pm. :)
if there's no lifesize cardboard cut-out of Jon Corby then I'm not interested
I can't make it, but just to clarify, it is not because there is no lifesize cardboard cut-out of Jon Corby (however, if there is, I may be partial to cancelling my holiday...)
Is a real Jon Corby enough to tempt you? Or is cardboard better? You've probably got a point actually.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

I think you'd have to meet him at least two or three times to know the difference.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Matt Morrison wrote:I think you'd have to meet him at least two or three times to know the difference.
Have you got one to fill out the seats in your train group? :lol:
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Jon Corby wrote:
Matt Morrison wrote:I think you'd have to meet him at least two or three times to know the difference.
Have you got one to fill out the seats in your train group? :lol:
That's low even for you!
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Nine days left! :D

...And nine entrants would tie me with the all-time co-event attendance record. Just saying. :) With tomorrow's CoC final and the Hangover, there'll be three thrilling, nail-biting finals in ten days- but here's a little factoid for you: no CoC winner has ever participated at COLIN. or any co-event. Ever. Hope it's not too much of a spoiler to say that'll be at the very least retroactively corrected tomorrow, but it could make COLIN an even more elite competition than it already is- and have a dramatic effect on the seedings too (especially with the COLIN XI winner bottling it).

Incidentally, the last time COLIN coincided with a CoC, it was won by the person (or his cardboard cut-out, my memory is kinda sketchy on the details) who lost to the eventual runner-up in the semifinal. :)
Richard Priest
Devotee

Post by Richard Priest »

Finally paid up and entered, if anyone between Stoke-on -Trent and Lincoln (or who can get to S-O-T for about 8.30am on the day) requires a lift just give me a shout.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

There's just one week to go, and my house is steadily piling up with COLIN-related stuff, the last of which (the puzzle mags) I should take delivery of on Monday. :) Richard's brought entry figures for COLIN XII up to a healthy 42 (with the promise of more still to come) so now's as good a time as any for the most controversial bit of the COLIN build-up... The seedings. I've consulted with other COLIN attendees and I think I've got it to a point where it's just about right, but as always, feel free to yell and throw things if you disagree.

1 Dylan Taylor
2 Jack Worsley
3 Conor Travers
4 Giles Hutchings
5 Jennifer Steadman
6 Callum Todd
7 Thomas Cappleman
8 James Robinson
9 Rob Foster
10 Jon O'Neill
11 Zarte Siempre
12 Matt Bayfield
13 Graeme Cole
14 Thomas Carey
15 Ryan Taylor
16 Dinos Sfyris
17 Tracey Mills
18 Jon Corby
19 Mike Brown
20 Michelle Nevitt
21 Paul Worsley
22 Zubair Patel
23 Richard Priest
24 Gerry Tynan
25 Andy McGurn
26 Mark Davies
27 Matty Artell
28 Callum Pickering
29 Eddy Byrne
30 Stewart Gordon
31 Heather Styles
32 Chris Marshall
33 James Wilson
34 Mark Hartnett
35 Rose Boyle
36 Anthony Endsor
37 James Laverty
38 Heather Badcock
39 Matt Morrison
40 Gevin Chapwell
41 Alan Young
42 Mark Mills
43 Lee Fisher

...And as always, seedings for the hangover will be based on performance at COLIN XII. :)

See you all in a week!

BJW

Edit: seedings updated as of 29/1. Any further updates will come as a nice surprise tomorrow.
LaurenHamer

Post by LaurenHamer »

Just noticed my 'name'...what the hell, Bayfield?
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Oh glad you are coming! Wasn't sure with your thick foot. Keep meaning to ask what happened?!
LaurenHamer

Post by LaurenHamer »

Well, it's not 100% yet, as it's not healing particularly well, but fingers crossed! I attempted to catch a ball in a netball match and went over on the ankle, tearing the ligaments. Long story (which I feel I've repeated endlessly), but it's not in a good way. Hopefully see you all on Friday!
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

I've just looked through that list, and I'm disappointed with a few absences. This isn't necessarily as exhaustive list, but these people are not on, and it's not on:

Actually, before I do the list, you know if you quote someone, they get a notification. Well, does it have to be a genuine quote? Does it work as a tag? Let's try it:

Oh, and this list isn't in any particular order:
Rhys Benjamin wrote:
Innis Carson wrote:
Conor wrote:
Kirk Bevins wrote:
JimBentley wrote:
(I thought you were coming. Are you doing a Deeks and not playing?)
Charlie Reams wrote:
(Will we see him again?)
Mark Murray wrote:
Andy Platt wrote:
George Pryn wrote:
Jonathan Wynn wrote:
Adam Dexter wrote:
(Having a baby is no excuse)
Dan McColm wrote:
tomrowell wrote:
Ian Volante wrote:
Phil Collinge wrote:
Supee Juachan wrote:
JackHurst wrote:
Josh Hurst wrote:
David Barnard wrote:
James S Roper wrote:
Phyl Styles wrote:
Ned Pendleton wrote:
Oli Moore wrote:
Oliver Garner wrote:
Jason Larsen wrote:
Phil Reynolds wrote:
Marc Meakin wrote:
Tony Atkins wrote:
Derek Hazell wrote:
Adam Gillard wrote:
(Turn up on Friday, leave on Sunday, don't play on Saturday)
Martin Gardner wrote:
Lesley Hines wrote:
Peter Mabey wrote:
David Williams wrote:
Dave Preece wrote:
Clive Brooker wrote:
Julian Fell wrote:
Johnny Canuck wrote:
Steven M. McCann wrote:
Michael Wallace wrote:
Joseph Bolas wrote:
szodiac wrote:
George Jenkins wrote:
Matthew Tassier wrote:
Martin Long wrote:
Fred Mumford wrote:
Steve Balog wrote:
Edward McCullagh wrote:
Tom wrote:
Dmitry Goretsky wrote:
James Nguyen wrote:
Paul Gallen wrote:
Dale Levell wrote:
Oli Moore wrote:
Apterous Prune wrote:
(A member of this forum)
Peter Clarke wrote:
Craig Beevers wrote:
craig wrote:
CF Warran wrote:
Martin Bishop wrote:
Jeff Clayton wrote:
Bob De Caux wrote:
Marcus Hares wrote:
Frank Rodolf wrote:
Nick Wainwright wrote:
Matthew Brockwell wrote:
Joseph Krol wrote:
Paul Erdunast wrote:
James Bradley wrote:
James Wilson wrote:
Dave Noble wrote:
Amie Bateen wrote:
Adam Curran wrote:
Ralph Gillions wrote:
Richard Brittain wrote:
Soph K wrote:
Last edited by Gavin Chipper on Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Gavin Chipper wrote:I've just looked through that list, and I'm disappointed with a few absences. This isn't necessarily as exhaustive list, but these people are not on, and it's not on:

Actually, before I do the list, you know if you quote someone, they get a notification. Well, does it have to be a genuine quote? Does it work as a tag? Let's try it:

Oh, and this list isn't in any particular order:
Rhys Benjamin wrote:
Innis Carson wrote:
Conor wrote:
Kirk Bevins wrote:
JimBentley wrote:
(I thought you were coming. Are you doing a Deeks and not playing?)
Charlie Reams wrote:
(Will we see him again?)
Mark Murray wrote:
Andy Platt wrote:
George Pryn wrote:
Jonathan Wynn wrote:
Adam Dexter wrote:
Dan McColm wrote:
tomrowell wrote:
Ian Volante wrote:
Phil Collinge wrote:
Supee Juachan wrote:
JackHurst wrote:
Josh Hurst wrote:
David Barnard wrote:
James S Roper wrote:
Phyl Styles wrote:
Ned Pendleton wrote:
Oli Moore wrote:
Oliver Garner wrote:
Jason Larsen wrote:
Phil Reynolds wrote:
Marc Meakin wrote:
Tony Atkins wrote:
Derek Hazell wrote:
Adam Gillard wrote:
(Turn up on Friday, leave on Sunday, don't play on Saturday)
Martin Gardner wrote:
Lesley Hines wrote:
Peter Mabey wrote:
David Williams wrote:
Dave Preece wrote:
Clive Brooker wrote:
Julian Fell wrote:
Johnny Canuck wrote:
Steven M. McCann wrote:
Michael Wallace wrote:
Joseph Bolas wrote:
szodiac wrote:
George Jenkins wrote:
Matthew Tassier wrote:
Martin Long wrote:
Fred Mumford wrote:
Steve Balog wrote:
Edward McCullagh wrote:
Tom wrote:
Dmitry Goretsky wrote:
James Nguyen wrote:
Paul Gallen wrote:
Dale Levell wrote:
Oli Moore wrote:
Apterous Prune wrote:
(A member of this forum)
Peter Clarke wrote:
Craig Beevers wrote:
craig wrote:
CF Warran wrote:
Martin Bishop wrote:
Jeff Clayton wrote:
Bob De Caux wrote:
Marcus Hares wrote:
Frank Rodolf wrote:
Nick Wainwright wrote:
Matthew Brockwell wrote:
Joseph Krol wrote:
Paul Erdunast wrote:
James Bradley wrote:
James Wilson wrote:
Dave Noble wrote:
Amie Bateen wrote:
Adam Curran wrote:
Ralph Gillions wrote:
Richard Brittain wrote:
Ben Wilson wrote:Don't think fake quotes count unless they're linked to a post like yours, though you never know, hence why I'm quoting myself when this is in fact brand new text.
At least two of the people you named have sorted travel and accommodation and everything but haven't quite mastered the art of paying me yet *COUGH* Travers *COUGH* Platt *COUGH*. Two more people have given me 'maybes' and will only know if they're coming by Wednesday. Another two will know by some point late Friday evening. One more is being really, really inscrutable. One is in prison. Apterous Prune may or may not show up, it depends on whether or not he can get a lift.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Ben Wilson wrote:
Ben Wilson wrote:Don't think fake quotes count unless they're linked to a post like yours, though you never know, hence why I'm quoting myself when this is in fact brand new text.
And the answer is 'fake quotes don't count', so thanks for your effort, but it was all for sod all.

Ironically, I'll now get a notification for quoting myself.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Ben Wilson wrote:
Ben Wilson wrote:
And the answer is 'fake quotes don't count', so thanks for your effort, but it was all for sod all.

Ironically, I'll now get a notification for quoting myself.
Though in saying that, I actually didn't, so maybe it doesn't work if you're quoting yourself.

Anyway, back on-topic. 6 days to go! Woo! :D
Jack Worsley
Series 66 Champion

Post by Jack Worsley »

Ben Wilson wrote: Anyway, back on-topic. 6 days to go! Woo! :D
5 days. Everyone knows that COLIN starts on Friday evening.
Zarte Siempre
Series 78 Champion

Post by Zarte Siempre »

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Adam Dexter wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote:
Ralph Gillions wrote:
Or death, apparently.
Possibly the first contestant to accelerate with a mic clipped...
Thomas Carey
Kiloposter

Post by Thomas Carey »

Ouch.

One more named person I'm trying to rope in after he said he'd go, back in October. His sister, who I'm legitimately surprised you didn't quote, could potentially follow (I really doubt it, but it could be a 'random' occurrence)...
cheers maus
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Thomas Carey wrote:Ouch.

One more named person I'm trying to rope in after he said he'd go, back in October. His sister, who I'm legitimately surprised you didn't quote, could potentially follow (I really doubt it, but it could be a 'random' occurrence)...
Bit of an oversight. I could edit, but then Ben would have to as well!

Edit - edited.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

It would be good if someone on the quote list could confirm if they got a notification (or two).
Tony Atkins
Fanatic

Post by Tony Atkins »

Gavin Chipper wrote:It would be good if someone on the quote list could confirm if they got a notification (or two).
My notification count was set to 2, but you have to log in to the forum to see that.

Sorry I will be too busy preparing for COREA.
CO-MSO every August
CO:Rea 20th April 2024
Stewart Gordon
Enthusiast

Post by Stewart Gordon »

What are the lunch arrangements this time round?
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Stewart Gordon wrote:What are the lunch arrangements this time round?
The venue's directly opposite a chippy and very close to a co-op, so there'll be plenty of places to get lunch.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Ben Wilson wrote:
The venue's directly opposite a chippy and very close to a co-op, so there'll be plenty of places to get lunch.
Oh shit, I forgot we had a new location. What/where's the nearest licensed purveyor of alcoholic beverages please?
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Jon Corby wrote:
Ben Wilson wrote:
Oh shit, I forgot we had a new location. What/where's the nearest licensed purveyor of alcoholic beverages please?
And FA Cup football matches..
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Jon O'Neill wrote:
Jon Corby wrote:Oh shit, I forgot we had a new location. What/where's the nearest licensed purveyor of alcoholic beverages please?
And FA Cup football matches..
Colchester v Spurs? Meh.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

It's down off the Asda crossroads if I remember rightly which means it ought not be too far from The Centurion which does much better food than the Fox & Hounds but has no football on. But has a quizzer that we spent hours on that one Sunday. Unless anything changed.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Alright thought I'd not be lazy and check on maps again. Even closer than the Centurion is the Plough.
It shows live sports, does shitty food and looks generally rough as buckets in the picture I saw. Awesome.
http://www.lincolnshireecho.co.uk/pubs- ... iness.html

But we're only about 20 mins walk from Fox & Hounds maximum.

Nothing wrong with multiple pubs so long as well end up in the F&H surely.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

The Harrows Inn is even closer (must be like 30 seconds walk from venue), seems to have a live sports thing outside it according to Google Maps, no idea about food, and looks nicely rough too.

Further searching says it does food as well as bar snacks, has 3 live sports TVs, pool table, juke box, occasional karaoke, and a quiz machine.

Truly we are fucking spoiled for pubs at this end of Colintown.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

I'm never going to that fucking depressing hole The Centurion ever again. Awful pub.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

I seem to remember being about £7 up, not sure what you're on about.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

The harrows aspires to be a dive, especially on Saturday evenings. Avoid. The plough's decent but very small- the whole pub's about the same size as the darts/pool area of the F&H. The centurion is the centurion. Avoid. F&H is still the best option, especially as it's on the way back to the travelodge.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Deeks, will you be bringing the Deeksbus this year?
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

I don't see why I should after four straight years of being shunned. Balls to you all.

(Yes.)
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
He may not be liked on here, but you have to give some credit to Mark
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

I wasn't on about replacing the F&H, I was just after some lunchtime beers on the Saturday, don't give a shit about food and I doubt the Spurs match will be that interesting. Any of these pubs sounds okay, the divey the better almost. We could even do a fucking crawl if that there's that many in close proximity.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Jon Corby wrote:We could even do a fucking crawl
If you're feeling particularly ambitious this takes in all four pubs mentioned so far plus the Lincoln Green, which served as COLIN afterparty host from 2007-2009. Not that I encourage such a thing at lunch time, but after the event, or better yet, the Friday before... Five pubs means five times the chance of running into Shane, after all.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Jon Corby wrote:the divey the better almost.
diveier?
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Good work routing up Ben, great idea! However yours starts at the Lincoln Green.
I've done a route from The Ark that goes through all five and somehow cuts 3 minutes off the walking. Bonus!

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/The+A ... 184721!3e2
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Jon Corby wrote:the divey the better almost.
diveier?
No, two syllables so it would have to be specified.