The introduction of Co:Glasgow! Saturday 2nd May 2015

Discussion and announcements relating to unofficial Countdown competitions, held online or in real life. Observation, discussion, reflection, and other stuff ending in -ion.
Alan Young

The introduction of Co:Glasgow! Saturday 2nd May 2015

Post by Alan Young »

I’ve been talking about trying to arrange this for a while and being at CoEd3 has given me the drive to get off my backside and do it. So I have booked a venue for what I believe is the first Co:Glasgow event. So the main details are below.

Date: Saturday 2nd of May 2015
Time: Set up at 12 noon for a 12:30 start (Aiming for a 7pm finish)
Cost: £7 per person

The venue is a 5 minute walk from either Glasgow Central station or Glasgow Queen Street. There are a host of hotels all around for those looking to stay the night before or after. Or for those looking for the cheapest possible option there are a couple of travelling hostels in the city centre which are all reasonably priced.

We will have the section of the bar known as the Nest up stairs. We will have plenty of space and a bar tender to serve our needs as the day goes on. (Sadly beverages aren't included in the £7, apologies).

The tournament will be run in a Lincoln style with the only difference being that there will be semi finals then a final.

So to enter the tournament all you have to do is send a payment through PayPal to jimmyjameleon@yahoo.co.uk and drop me a wee message with the payment to let me know. I look forward to hopefully seeing a lot of your there! If you don't have PayPal contact me and we can arrange something else.

Any questions you can either post here, send me a message on Facebook or drop me an email at awyo22@gmail.com
Last edited by Alan Young on Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:10 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Jack Worsley
Series 66 Champion

Re: The introduction of Co:Glasgow!!!

Post by Jack Worsley »

Do you not mean groups of three for the first two rounds? Maybe edit the title to include the date too. I'm certainly interested but I'll let you know closer to the time.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Another date I can't make sadly (I'll be losing money in Vegas) but sounds interesting.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

As I've said on Facebook, I'm out too, as it's the last weekend of the football season, and with Town away in Blackpool, the whole family are going for a fun-filled Bank Holiday weekend. ;) :) :D

Best of luck with it though, Alan, and hopefully I'll be there for the 2016 tournament. 8-)
Alan Young

Post by Alan Young »

Jack Worsley wrote:Do you not mean groups of three for the first two rounds? Maybe edit the title to include the date too. I'm certainly interested but I'll let you know closer to the time.
I've added the date in the title. Not actually a typo, looking to possily do groups of 4, depends on numbers. If it doesn't quite work out numbers wise I'll switch to 3 per table.
Alan Young

Post by Alan Young »

James Robinson wrote:As I've said on Facebook, I'm out too, as it's the last weekend of the football season, and with Town away in Blackpool, the whole family are going for a fun-filled Bank Holiday weekend. ;) :) :D

Best of luck with it though, Alan, and hopefully I'll be there for the 2016 tournament. 8-)
Thanks James, all going well I'll do it annually. Always a good day when we can play some Countdown!
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

James Robinson wrote:As I've said on Facebook, I'm out too, as it's the last weekend of the football season, and with Town away in Blackpool, the whole family are going for a fun-filled Bank Holiday weekend. ;) :) :)
That's odd, I'd have thought you'd have been going to Blackpool!
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Ian Volante wrote:
James Robinson wrote:As I've said on Facebook, I'm out too, as it's the last weekend of the football season, and with Town away in Blackpool, the whole family are going for a fun-filled Bank Holiday weekend. ;) :) :)
We are, it's not a bad way to finish the season, as long as we aren't relegated....
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

James Robinson wrote:
Ian Volante wrote:
We are, it's not a bad way to finish the season, as long as we aren't relegated....
I was implying that watching Huddersfield isn't necessarily fun :mrgreen:
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Ian Volante wrote:I was implying that watching Huddersfield isn't necessarily fun :mrgreen:
If it's like our match at Blackpool back in March, then you might be right :!: :!:
Jonathan Wynn
Series 73 Champion

Re: The introduction of Co:Glasgow! Saturday 2nd May 2015

Post by Jonathan Wynn »

Sounds good to me Alan, count me in :)
James Laverty
Enthusiast

Post by James Laverty »

Sounds good and would normally say yes to Glasgow (wouldn't have to pay for hotels), but the bank holiday weekend doesn't look good for me. Will confirm nearer the time
Definitely not Jamie McNeill or Schrodinger's Cat....
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Alan Young wrote:Not actually a typo, looking to possily
Is that a typo?
Tony Atkins
Fanatic

Post by Tony Atkins »

So that people can plan to travel from Edinburgh etc, important question is what time will it end?
CO-MSO every August
CO:Rea 20th April 2024
Alan Young

Post by Alan Young »

Apologies for the delay in reply!

Yes that was a Typo, just testing :)

James it would be great to have you!

Jonathan I'll have the nuggets ready!

Tony the end time I'm aiming for will be 6pm I'll put a more formal schedule once I have a better idea of numbers. I don't foresee it running beyond 7pm as that's when we have the venue to ourselves until.
Tracey Anne Mills
Devotee
Location: The Series 72 Runner Up, The Crazy Cat Lady that lives my with two cats Freddie and Callie

Post by Tracey Anne Mills »

Count me in Alan but only provisional for now.
Tracey 'Old Enough To Be My Mum' Mills aka Crazy Cat Lady and Cat Lover
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

You sent £14.00 GBP to jimmyjameleon@yahoo.co.uk

Me and Michelle confirmed for this one.

If anyone is thinking of coming to the inaugural Glasgow Countdown event but are worried about costs of accommodation or whatnot then me and Michelle could probably have room for some people to stay free of charge. We've not got the biggest of flats but I reckon we could get 2 on sofas, 1 in an actual spare bed, and then there's still floor space in the living room (probably 3), Scott's room (1) and our room (2). So what's that? Like 9 people squeezed in?

So yeah, if this would sway you to come to Glasgow by having accommodation free of charge - admittedly not the comfiest night's sleep you will have, then don't hesitate to get in touch with me or Michelle and we should be able to come to some arrangement. :D

Glasgow is a great city and it would be worthwhile to make a weekend of it! Hope to see some more of you sign up. :)
Last edited by Ryan Taylor on Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Very kind. Nice couple.
Alan Young

Post by Alan Young »

Had a lot of people declare interest without confirming. Will be starting to chase over the next few weeks :)
Alan Young

Post by Alan Young »

On top of Ryan's offer we don't have as much space but we do have a spare double bed and a couch. for those looking to cut costs.
Alan Young

Post by Alan Young »

Co: Glasgow the Line up so far is as follows!
1. Innis Carson
2. Callum Todd
3. Dan McColm
4. Michelle Nevitt
5. Ryan Taylor
6. Jeff Clayton
7. Maureen O’Donnell
8. Jonathan Wynn
9. Mike Brown
10. Ian Volante
Still waiting to hear back from the Edinburgh club to see if there will be attendees and I know of a few who are still looking in to travel etc.
Innis Carson
Devotee

Post by Innis Carson »

This was a great event - everything ran totally smoothly, the format worked well and the venue was absolutely ideal. Thanks very much Alan for putting it all together, I had a lot of fun and will certainly come back next year. Was great to see everyone who came, and hopefully more people will be able to make the journey next time if it's moving to the old CoEdi slot.

Also congratulations to Callum who apparently achieved what I'm pretty sure is the first ever 9-round century (of all co-events, TV games and even standard 9-rounders ever played on apterous) in one of his games - hopefully someone will be able to post the details of this!
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Innis Carson wrote:This was a great event - everything ran totally smoothly, the format worked well and the venue was absolutely ideal. Thanks very much Alan for putting it all together, I had a lot of fun and will certainly come back next year. Was great to see everyone who came, and hopefully more people will be able to make the journey next time if it's moving to the old CoEdi slot.

Also congratulations to Callum who apparently achieved what I'm pretty sure is the first ever 9-round century (of all co-events, TV games and even standard 9-rounders ever played on apterous) in one of his games - hopefully someone will be able to post the details of this!
And congratulations to you for winning, Innis. (I don't actually know who won, but since you didn't congratulate the winner, I'm guessing it was you.)
Zarte Siempre
Series 78 Champion

Post by Zarte Siempre »

Innis Carson wrote:Also congratulations to Callum who apparently achieved what I'm pretty sure is the first ever 9-round century (of all co-events, TV games and even standard 9-rounders ever played on apterous) in one of his games - hopefully someone will be able to post the details of this!
http://www.apterous.org/viewgame.php?game=770427
Possibly the first contestant to accelerate with a mic clipped...
Innis Carson
Devotee

Post by Innis Carson »

Yes, I'm aware of that (it was discussed at the time). I was meaning 'standard' to include standard round time.
Tony Atkins
Fanatic

Post by Tony Atkins »

Alan was travelling away on the Sunday so will be busy for a while for recapping but he has all the game records.

The results after 6 rounds were:
6 wins Innis (393); 4 wins Callum (391), Jonathan (356), Jeff (300); 3 wins Michelle (344), Mike (307), Ryan (298),
Ian (281); 2 wins Maureen (258?), Ken (183); 1 win Tony (307); 0 wins Marie (119).
The ordering stayed the same after the semis and final/play-off.

Thanks again to Alan for hosting and Michelle and Ryan for providing crash space.
I'm off to study how to win crucial condrums....
CO-MSO every August
CO:Rea 20th April 2024
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

I think Maureen was likely on 158 rather than 258.
Alan Young

Post by Alan Young »

The full results and the score cards from the knock out rounds are on this link
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

I will try and enter all the score cards over the next couple of weeks!