COLIN X Team Competition

Discussion and announcements relating to unofficial Countdown competitions, held online or in real life. Observation, discussion, reflection, and other stuff ending in -ion.
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

COLIN X Team Competition

Post by JackHurst »

With the kind permission of Ben, I will be running a small team competition at this years COLIN! It should be great fun and wont interfere with the main event too much.

There will be two teams, each of the same size (yet to be decided but hopefully as large as 10), both trying to eliminate each other.

Each player will play one head to head against a player from the other team, this game will be a 3 rounder with each player scoring a point for winning a round. The head to heads will have different round set ups to be as varied as possible (LLN, LNC, NNC, NNN...), and the loser of each head to head is eliminated. That is, if you win or tie your head to head you stay in the match.

After all head to heads are done, the surviving players go through to the conundrum finale. Each team agrees an order for their surviving players and then lines them up in that order. The two players at the front of the queue will face off in a conundrum, the winner (if nobody solves it they face another) of the conundrum goes to the back of their line UNSCATHED, but the loser goes to the back of their line with only 1 life remaining. The next two players will then face a conundrum and so on, with players being eliminated when they have lost two conundrums and the last team with one or more players remaining being declared the winners!

In terms of fitting this around the schedule of the main COLIN tourney, we will be looking to have the teams sorted before round 1 of COLIN, then we hope players will play their head to heads between rounds 1 and 2 or COLIN, with the final taking place between rounds 2 and 3 or COLIN.

Hopefully each team will be able to decide between themselves which head to head each player goes in, but should they not be able to reach a decision, captain's decision is final. Again in deciding the order of players for the finale, captain has final say.

Please express an interest in this thread if you would like to be included in the team tournament. Should it be oversubscribed, we will pick people at random to play.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Re: COLIN X Team Competition

Post by Matt Morrison »

I think because of the conundrum format it's probably more interesting not to have shit players. If you disagree, I'd be interested for the sake of it sounding interesting.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Yeah, it's a bit conundrum-heavy. I'll think about it, but it also seems like a lot of Countdown to play as well. Let's not forget it's lunch after round 1.
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Post by JackHurst »

Matt Morrison wrote:I think because of the conundrum format it's probably more interesting not to have shit players. If you disagree, I'd be interested for the sake of it sounding interesting.
I do disagree. Its an advantage to have as many players as possible in tue final regardless of their ability. Plus the if an underdog knocked somebody out on a conundrum it would he great entertainment.

And @ gev, a 3 round game should take 5 mins tops so shouldnt really impact on lunch.
Jack Worsley
Series 66 Champion

Post by Jack Worsley »

I'm interested in this, count me in, please!
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

JackHurst wrote:
Matt Morrison wrote:I think because of the conundrum format it's probably more interesting not to have shit players. If you disagree, I'd be interested for the sake of it sounding interesting.
I do disagree. Its an advantage to have as many players as possible in tue final regardless of their ability. Plus the if an underdog knocked somebody out on a conundrum it would he great entertainment.
Yeah, on entertainment level it's probably 9/10 to have two shit players conundrumming because of the tension, especially if people around the room have already solved it.
And then 6/10 to have two good players conundrumming because the result is still up in the air but there is no way many people will get to appreciate the round before its over.
But to have shit player against good player is 1/10.

Unfortunately there can't really be a tactical element to picking the teams, as (though the info is thin) I assume this would be done secretly. Maybe it's better to have a coin tossed, and the losing team has to present their order before the second team chooses theirs?
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Oh, forgot that one team could outnumber the other, so maybe the team with more people in it has to choose first to try and redress the balance slightly? And just toss a coin if both teams have an equal number of survivors after the head-to-head round.
Callum Todd
Series 69 Champion

Post by Callum Todd »

I'm in :)
Mark Deeks wrote:Callum Todd looks like a young Ted Bundy.
Thomas Carey
Kiloposter

Post by Thomas Carey »

In.
cheers maus
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

TLDR. I'll be in it but remind me of the rules on Saturday
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Kirk Bevins wrote:TLDR. I'll be in it but remind me of the rules on Saturday
should be banned in my opinion
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Matt Morrison wrote:
Kirk Bevins wrote:TLDR. I'll be in it but remind me of the rules on Saturday
should be banned in my opinion
Kirk in general?
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Don't be harsh Gevin. At this rate, who else is going to fight Dylan?
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Post by JackHurst »

Ok, interested so far:

1)Jack W
2)Callum T
3)Thomas C
4)Kirk B
5)Jeff C
6)Heather S
7)James R
8)Jane W
9)Phyl S
10)Dan M
11)Rob F

Maybes: Gev Matt M

9 more spaces to be filled!
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Post by JackHurst »

The first 15 to sign up have their place guaranteed, while the late entries will be put into a hat to pick the final 5. so 4 guaranteed places left!
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Is there a prize?
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Post by JackHurst »

Yes but it will be a small prize seeing as though it's coming out of my own pocket.

Of course, there is always the pride of winning :)
Andy Platt
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Platt »

In
Zarte Siempre
Series 78 Champion

Post by Zarte Siempre »

JackHurst wrote:Yes but it will be a small prize seeing as though it's coming out of my own pocket.
You really ought to sew that hole up...
Possibly the first contestant to accelerate with a mic clipped...
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Post by JackHurst »

Zarte Siempre wrote:
JackHurst wrote:Yes but it will be a small prize seeing as though it's coming out of my own pocket.
You really ought to sew that hole up...
what?